nine | eyeopeners

After I finished the song Jude invited me to stay for dinner, a request I politely declined. By the look on Zach's faced I had already overstepped, so I said I had to get back before my family started to worry. Which is only half a lie, they're always worried.

Zach had walked me to the door, and once we had gotten onto his front porch he finally unleashed his frustration.

"What the hell was that Leena!?"

Trying to remain as sympathetic as possible I answered "Look I know I probably overstepped and I'm sorry about that, but it's not like I was jumping at the chance to do that. I tried to get out of it bu-"

He abruptly cut me off with a wave of a hand, and a face so full of anger I thought he might burst "Well you didn't try hard enough. Get the hell away from my house."

I stood there with my mouth hanging wide open, probably looking like an idiot as I watched him turn away. He then turned back and said "While you're at it, stay the hell away from me too."

Not being able to hold myself back any longer I yelled "Wow big shocker, the Zach Dawson really is a fucking asshole. Who would have thought?"

He then proceeded to slam the door in my face.

What a successful night.

----

It's now Saturday and I have kept to Zach's wishes of "staying the hell away from him". It's more for my benefit than his, but he can honestly think whatever he wants.

He was getting too close. Spending all that time with him, even if it was for a project was dangerous. He was too curious about where and how I spent my time. And his words were starting to effect me too much. Something I can't allow.

Him forcing me out of his life works out for the best, it honestly does. I now have two weeks until my chemo starts, which also means two weeks until I'm pulled out of school.

Because I'm leaving to be home schooled for a bit again, I could have just thrown a big ol' f you to Zach Dawson and not finish the project. But it turns out I'm not that heartless.

Which is why I find myself in the waiting room of the hospital with Dylan, working on my laptop finishing this stupid project.

If you asked me why I'm bothering to finish this when Zach was a complete ass to me on Monday, and has successfully managed to ignore me all week at school, I honestly couldn't tell you.

Maybe it's because I feel bad. Me playing his deceased mothers guitar must have brought up some unwanted feelings within him, feelings I myself are accustomed to.

Right as I finish our assignment and send it off to our teacher, my name is called.

I'm about to start packing up to follow the nurse when I realize it wasn't a nurse that called me.

It was Riley.

And Riley was with Zach.

"Oh, hey Riley."

Do I say anything to Zach? I look up to him for any indication that he wants a greeting and it's clear that he doesn't.

Riley looks up at me confused and asks "Why are you in the waiting room, Leena?"

Right as I'm about to say I'm just here for a check-up or something, my name is called. And this time it's by a nurse.

"Leena? Dr. Weker is ready for you."

Nodding at the nurse I pack my stuff up with Dylan's help and say "Just a check-up bud." I then ruffle Riley's hair and walk away.

But right before I leave Zach's earshot I turn around and say "Hey Zach?"