War Prize (A Roman Britain st...

By Happilyneverafters

Aurelia, a Noble Roman woman, had heard of the savage British tribes, their mystic Celtic ways, and the battl... More

War Prize (A Roman Britain story)
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter thirty - Pointless Fluffy Epilogue
Second in Roman Britain series - Daughter of Britain

Chapter Ten

187K 6.9K 1K
By Happilyneverafters

Chapter Ten

Kailen was experiencing an inexplicable feeling that was gnawing a hole in his chest. The decimation of the farmstead had left a bitter taste in his mouth, and a dark roiling cloud over his war party’s heads. It was something he had never felt before, had never in his wildest dreams expected to feel.

He was conflicted.

Anger, his old friend, was burning hotly at the Roman cruelty. It honed his focus, his determination to succeed and remain free of the bonds of slavery. He grieved for the dead, for the tribe who have lost loved ones, precious livestock and harvests that would see them through winter. Times were difficult enough as it was without more heartache. And yet…

And yet.

He felt the strangest mixture of disgust, disbelief and remorse that was all directed at the Roman woman in his arms. Aurelia. Her name was Aurelia. He found it more and more difficult to keep her as an enemy in his mind. As time went on, she was beginning to grow on him as a person in her own right. 

He felt disgust for everything she stood for, her heritage, for being promised to a man who had caused so much death and misery to Kailen’s people that Kailen wondered if he would drown in it.

He felt disbelief that, even though he knew all this, she was not at all what he had expected what a Roman highborn woman to be.

And remorse. Remorse for forcing her to look at what her kin were capable of. He had treated her like he would treat an enemy soldier and that didn’t sit well with him. She may be Roman and she may be the intended to the Commander, but she wasn’t at fault. His hate had blinded him for so long that he had forgotten the other side to the sword.

Mercy.

She can not be held responsible for the actions of others. Her reaction to the death, the sheer horror on her face will be imprinted in his mind’s eye for a long time to come, had proved that beyond any doubt. They didn’t know each other that well, but no one could feign something like that. It made him feel like a tormenter and he didn’t like it.  It wasn’t something he was used to feeling.

He glanced down at the top of Aurelia’s head, puzzled. She wasn’t sleeping, her back was one long tense line that must have hurt her to keep up, but she hadn’t said a word since they left the burnt hollow of the farmstead, seeming to keep her own counsel. She kept her face averted from everyone, out of grief or shame, he knew not. The feeling grew in his chest and he clenched the horse’s reigns tighter in his fists.

“Women,” Bran said in their language from beside him, “have a way of complicating things. It makes a man doubt himself.”

Kailen gave him an unimpressed raise of his eyebrows. “What makes you think I’m doubting myself?”

Bran shrugged casually. “It’s written across your face for the whole world to see. No words are needed, old friend.”

“My thoughts are my own.” Kailen said gruffly. “I’m merely contemplating what our next move shall be.”

Bran smirked. “As our leader insists.”

They were quite for a moment, until Kailen couldn’t take it any longer. “Battle is easy. It comes naturally to all of us. But how am I supposed to treat a Roman woman who is now our War Prize? She is still the enemy, but not a soldier.”

“That’s why you're our leader. You’ll figure it out.” Bran slapped him on the back, nearly knocking Kailen into Aurelia, who had ignored them throughout their entire conversation as if they weren’t even there. Kailen frowned again.

Bran caught the irritation. “My woman does the same thing when I have angered her. She can use silence as a weapon, more cutting than any harsh word.”

Both eyebrows went up this time. “I don’t think you and your woman’s situation can be related to my own situation.” He pointed out.

Bran grinned. “Are you so sure about that? You look upon her differently than you do other women of our tribe.”

“Roman.” Kailen reminded him.

Bran laughed softly. “We shall see.”

~

The funeral pyres built for the Roman soldiers were finally lit, their flames licking at the wood that was cut down from nearby trees. Smoke rose above the leaf coverage, increasing as it was set ablaze, the orange glow illuminating the grim faces of the Roman soldiers standing vigil around it.

Verenus, now in full armour and a sword sitting comfortably at his hip, was standing next to Commander Aquilla. The man seemed to keep Verenus by his side, in his direct line of sight at all times. It confused Verenus, this way of acting. Did the Commander believe him to be a turncoat amongst his most trusted men? Or did he expect Verenus to be loose lipped and ragale the men with his story of survival? It didn’t make any sense.

The moment Acquilla set his eyes on the scene where it had all happened, he had remained silent. Watchful. Processing the bodies, the churned up earth from the horse’s hooves and footprints like it all told a story. Which, Verenus supposed, it did when you know what you were looking for. Verenus got the feeling that Aquilla was a very intelligent man, shrewd even. He had to be to obtain a Commander’s post at such a young age. Intelligence went hand in hand with blood thirst in the ranks of the Legion. Have both and you went far.

“Word has been sent to the General of what has happened here.” The Commander said to Verenus, the first time he had spoken that wasn’t a clipped order to his men. “I have requested he give the order to engage and route out the rebels for good.”

“Yes sir.” Verenus intoned, his heart instantly lightened.

The General was a pragmatic man, he would give the go ahead for a Roman-British skirmish to quell the Silures and any tribe who thought they could cash in on the Silure’s luck. When one tribe won a point against the Romans, the others were quick to follow. Rome wouldn't give them that chance.

It also meant they could stage a rescue attempt for Aurelia before it was too late and she was lost to them forever. Verenus opened his mouth to voice this thought to his Commander but stopped. Aquilla’s reaction hadn’t boded well for the woman so far, would he even go so far as to forbid on extraction of his intended?

He couldn’t risk it.

“You should have an answer to the request for reinforcement very shortly.” Verenus said instead.

Aquilla smiled a humourless smile. “Of that I have no doubt. But there will be no reinforcements coming.”

Verenus frowned. No reinforcements? “Sir?”

Aquilla graced Verenus with a condescending look that set Verenus’s teeth on edge. “There is no need for reinforcements, Centurion.”

“This cohort is down by four hundred men-“

“I know the numbers, Centurion. I know the state of the men under my command. This isn’t Gaul, we are to be tasked with putting down a ill equipped, ill-trained bunch of savages. I’ll be damned if I have to ask the General for more men than I need.”

The memory of Kailen and his men crashing upon them sprung to mind. They had all been so focused and fierce in their slaughter and they had only numbered in the tens. What could a whole warrior tribe to do to an already depleted cohort?

“Yes sir.” He said faintly, feeling like his words had sealed their fate.

~

When night descended on that day, Kailen and his men were met with another British War Party. They numbered around twenty, half the size of Kailen’s own party, and have brought back more Roman spoils.

Once they were sat around the campfire, Aurelia between Kailen and Bran, the men of the new war party eagerly bragged about what they had managed to take. She didn’t understand their language, but she couldn’t mistake the hungry gleam in their eye as they passed around Roman daggers, pouches of money, jewellery and beads.

And not least of all, three Roman soldiers who were bound and gagged to each other, far away from the warmth of the campfire. The Britons had even stripped them naked, uncaring for their modesty. Aurelia’s pity heightened at the wounds they sported, untreated and left to ooze blood.

Her heart went out to them. She watched as water in animal skin bottles were passed back and forth but never to the Romans. They were treated with derision. Booted feet found tender spots in their flesh as the Britons passed them, one even spat at them, their harsh words loud and jeering.

“Don’t even think it.”

Aurelia blinked, turning her head to see that Kailen was in fact speaking to her. “Don’t think what?”

Kailen leaned closer. “Your eyes haven’t left those Roman soldiers since you’ve sat down. You will not be seeing to their needs.”

Aurelia thought of denying it, but couldn’t muster up enough effort for the fight. “They need water.” She urged.

Kailen shrugged. “Not my concern.”

“What good are they to anyone if they die of thirst?” She hissed.

“Again, not my concern. Not my slaves, therefore I’m not wasting my water on them.” Kailen replied.

Aurelia felt helpless with frustration. “Will you not ask the other leader to give them water?” She tried again.

Kailen just gave her a look. “And if I did? That would give him slave privileges over you.”

Aurelia was confused. “Slave privileges? What do you mean?”

“To ask a boon of another man’s slave means I am in his debt and he can ask the same for my slave. Would it be worth it to you if the Romans got their water and you were used as a whore?”

“That..” Aurelia stuttered. “That is despicable.”

“It is law.” Kailen grunted. “Be glad I will ask no such thing.”

“And who is this by your side Kailen? A Roman woman? Surely not.” The leader of the other war party’s voice piped up beside them.

Aurelia watched as Kailen’s fingers around his flagon tightened and she suddenly felt frightened. Why was he so tense?

Aurelia took in the other leader with a quick eye. While he was half a head shorter than Kailen, he was stockier and carried a vicious looking hand axe on his belt. He was older by a few years, with thin lips and eyes that glittered in a way that Aurelia didn’t like.

“Our War Prize, Aiden” Kailen said In an even tone of voice. “Belonging to the Silures and the High King Caratacus.”

The leader, Aiden, snorted in derision. “Caratacus is no king of mine.”

The company of men suddenly grew quiet, watchful. Kailen deliberately set his cup down and met the eyes of Aiden. “I would be more cautious of your words when spoken in front of the Silures. You will not like the consequences.”

Rage flooded Aiden’s face, white and hot, before it was wiped clean and he pasted on a jovial grin. “My apologies, Kailen. Drink and the high of victory have loosened my tongue.”

Kailen didn’t answer. He picked up his cup and took a long drink. t was a delibrate movment and Aurelia felt the control it took Kailen to not reach out and strike the other man. Conversation soon picked up again amongst the men and Aurelia could breathe easier.

“An intriguing slave.” Aiden murmured, his eyes sliding along her form in a clear sexual intent. Aurelia shuddered, feeling that gaze like a greasy caress. “I’m sure we can come to some agreement for an exchange.”

Aurelia felt her heart stop at his words, eyes flying to Kailen’s face. He wouldn’t, he can’t-

“She’s not for sale.” He said roughly.

“Oh come now, you don’t even know what I will be bartering with.” Aiden laughed.

“She’s not for sale.” Kailen repeated, words clear and precise.

The humour was leaving Aiden’s face again. “She’s a filthy Roman whore.”

Kailen gave a vicious smile. “If that’s all she is then you shouldn’t be so upset over me refusing your offer.”

Aiden leant closer to Kailen, his hand gripping Kailen’s bicep. “The druid of my tribe has demanded sacrifices to the Gods for a British victory. I am charged to deliver as many to him as I can.”

“That’s interesting, but not relevant to me. I am going back to my tribe with my War Prize as instructed.” Kailen glanced down at Aiden’s hand. “Now let go of my arm before I cut your hand off.”

For a moment it looked like he wouldn’t let go, but eventually he released him. “I could make it worth your while.”

“I grow tired of this conversation.” Kailen murmured, eyes flicking to Bran, a none too subtle sign for action.

Bran hefted his bulk up and, with gentle hands, guided Aurelia up on her feet and away from the camp fire. Aurelia glanced back and found both of the leaders watching her. She huastily turned away.

He laid blankets down on the ground for her and gestured to it. “You are to sleep here.”

Without any arguments, Aurelia curled up amongst the blankets and turned to face bran. “Is Kailen going to sell me?” She asked quietly.

Bran smiled. “No. It’s best you stay away from those men. They don’t have the same morals as we do.”

Aurelia was tactful and didn’t say anything.

Bran sat down a little way from her. “I keep watch. Keep you safe.”

Aurelia felt herself melt a little at this gentle giant. Picking up one of the blankets, she passed it to him.

He smiled his thanks, and wrapped it around himself. Her fears eased, thanks to her watcher, and she slipped into a dreamless sleep.

~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.2K 127 17
Instead of AL: Iron Blood, it's the Sakura Empire. I do plan on doing one for the Eagle Union and Royal Navy. So, enjoy.
66.7K 1.6K 23
The land of Britain has never been one simple to rule, for thousands of years kingdoms fought for dominance between each other but when the Roman's c...
55 5 2
Rome and Athens are named after two cities of two different countries. Similar to Rick Riordan's series, Heroes Of Olympus. Two camps are at war, th...
3.6K 120 44
Lucretia Aurelia Appius was only fourteen years old when soldiers ordered by Pompey the Great slayed her father and mother in front of her. They woul...