The Mesh (Raura)

By OriginalityTheorist

#fanfiction On the day of his best friend's wedding, 21 years old Ross Lynch relives the past by meeting good... More

PART I : A Child's Reminiscence
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 43
Chapter 44

Chapter 42

578 46 11
By OriginalityTheorist

December 20th,  1am

Ross' POV

The party is still wild but I'm sat in one particular room with Jasper's little niece while waiting for him to return with a glass of water for her. I really have nothing else to do at the moment because everyone is in pairs and I am the single one at this party.

Rosalyn is sitting on the bed, covered with sheets, and looking out the window. I clear my throat as I look at her.

"What did you mean when you said I look like some guy in a picture?", I ask her and her gaze meets mine.

She then surprises me by giving me a bright smile. "I like you. What's your name?"

She ignores my question. Very well.

"I'm Ross. "

"I'm Rosalyn. It's almost the same. ", she giggles, referring to our names.

I chuckle. "Yeah. Do you have a nickname or do they call you by a full name all the time?"

"Uncle Jas calls me princess when he isn't mad. ", she whispers.

"Why do you think he's mad?"

"Because I came here alone. He doesn't like that. "

I pause and look at the snow outside, deciding on what to say next.

"Well, I will call you Rosie. ", I suggest.

Her eyes seem to have sparkled when she hears the calling. I chuckle at her pleased expression.

"That's pretty. ", she allows it. "Do you have a nickname?"

Smile creeps up to my lips. "Um..how do you create a nickname for the name Ross? It's like on the list of the shortest names ever. "

"Hm. But that's not fair. You should have a nickname too. ", she speaks as she stares at her little fingers.

"Many things aren't fair. ", I light up the screen of my phone. Okay, I have no pride now that I still have no messages from her.

I type Laura a quick text asking if she's okay. Maybe she fell asleep. She probably was tired. I shouldn't be that selfish to let my mood drop just because I wanted her to congratulate me first.

"Why are you sad?", Rosie asks. "Is it because you don't have a nickname?"

I laugh at her caring but silly question and shake my head. "I'm not sad. Just worried. "

"Why?"

Curious little one.

"One person won't answer my texts. "

"Is it your wife?", the girl makes me blush with the question.

I shake my head. "No, no. She's my girlfriend. "

"Why is that different? She will be your wife then. ", she grins widely at me and claps her hands.

I sink deeper into my embarrassment, not saying a word. Like she would understand how the adult world works. I won't spoil the nasty deets for her. She probably thinks everyone is prince charming with their beautiful princesses.

"I suppose.. " I laugh a bit and look away. "Why did you come alone? Where is your mom?", I question.

Her mood suddenly drops and she covers herself up to her nose.

"Mommy always leaves me alone. She just goes somewhere. I think she visits Mr Doctor because she looks sick. "

My heart aches for her. I gulp. "But what about your dad?"

She pauses and stares through the window. "I don't have a daddy. I mean, he was never home. "

Oh. Well shit.

I look down. I've asked too much.

"Don't worry about it. My mommy says daddy left to buy me all the candy in the world and when he buys it, he will come back home. I never met him but I can't wait. ", she reassures me and now I feel even more lightheaded.

Children and their pureness, God. I can't take this sweet blindness of hers. I feel sorry for her. I don't know what happened to the dad but he ain't coming back with the candy that's for sure.

"Do you have a daddy?", Rosalyn asks me.

Nostalgic feelings build up inside me as I remember my dad and I chewing on pizza and watching hockey and soccer on TV. Something of the past, as if currently live in different cities. 

"I do. But I don't see him often. "

"Oh. You're just like me. ", Rosie pauses.

"That can't be completely true. I still see him sometimes, just not as often as before. "

"It's the same. We are twins! " Rosie exclaims happily, making me giddy on the inside. I laugh at her little bubble of excitement.

 "That's impossible because I'm older. ", I stick my tongue out at her.

"How old are you?", her cute baby voice asks me and I melt inside.

"I turned twenty-two today. "

"Today's your birthday?", Rosie pushes the covers down to her stomach.

"Yes. "

"Happy birthday. "

I chuckle. "Thanks. How old are you?"

"Um..", she pretends to be thinking. "One year older than you. "

I give her a 'why you lying' glare while smiling.

"Fine. ", the girl sighs. "I will be... " she counts on her fingers before continuing. ".. four! Next month. "

Only four? Holy fucking shit. And she made it to here all alone at midnight? Not to mention her level of talking. She's pretty mature for her age.

She suddenly untangles herself from the sheets and stands up. Her small hands grab the little backpack she brought with her as she messes up the content inside, searching for something. Rosie finally pulls out a small piece of paper and only when I stare at it better, I realize it's a picture. She walks over to the part of the bed I'm sitting on and wiggles until finding a comfortable position next to me.

"This is you, right? That's my mommy. ", she lands the photo on my lap and I take it in my hand and look.

My eyes widen to the point where they are going to pop out any moment for the second time in my life. I cover my mouth with my left hand and breathe slowly. Can this be happening? No. The probability of this moment happening is almost zero. Yet, why is it happening? I squeeze my face tighter.

"Holy sh..", I quietly say but stop myself before cursing in front of a kid.

I immediately recognize the picture with the familiar park, four and a half years ago, my young seventeen years old face and Naomi next to me. The Naomi of my past. Our smiles are shining up at me, waking this uneasiness in me. I'm shocked as I've never been. My thumb runs over her face as if confirming the material is real.

I look at the girl wide-eyed. Her daughter?  What? Naomi's kid?

Rosalyn gives me a warm smile, one of her little teeth missing from its place making it even more child-like. She looks down at the photo and up at me again.

"So it is you. Yay!", her arms wrap around me in a tight hug. I sit there horrified. "I like you because mommy smiles next to you. "

My heart is beating fast and my shaky right arm lowers along with the picture I'm holding. I don't know what kind of miracle she is.. Almost four years old..That's around the time Naomi and I broke up but.. shit.

Was she pregnant back then? Holy fuck. My breathing is increasing its speed tremendously as well as my heart. She didn't tell me she was pregnant. When I saw her two years ago in a bar back in Boston, she was alone, no kid around.

I'm stunned.

"I hope mommy smiles with daddy like she smiles with you. ", Rosie mumbles.

I feel sick to my throat. I can't breathe. Could she be... Could I be... the guy who's supposed to come back with all the candy?

Jasper opens the door and walks in, holding a glass of water he went to get fifteen minutes ago. He is late. So very late to save me from this mess.

I slowly let go of the blonde little girl that just shot the confusion and fear right through my heart. My feet carry me across the room as I hold my mouth. When I pass Jasper and walk out, I crash into the bathroom which was thankfully empty, and throw up the vodka I had before.

I hear Colton yelling in the hall, swearing, speaking things I can't understand.

When I finish throwing up and just sit there helpless, that's when I start to comprehend.

"You are so clueless! I can't believe you, Kate! I find out about this just now?! "

"I wanted to tell you! I didn't know how! Colton!"

"No, I know what's the deal with you. Four months, huh? You've been planning how to get rid of it on your own all this time, that's why you didn't tell me. That's why I had to find out this way. ", Colton speaks loudly.

What in the world are they talking about?

"That's not true! I was just looking for the right moment..", Kate defends herself.

Everything around me is spinning. They are now fighting too.

"Congratulations. None of the moments was right in four fucking months? What the heck? ", his voice booms over the loud music. I shiver. "I noticed you were acting weird lately. I just didn't know this is what it was about. I thought it was just you being.. a woman. "

"Not four, I only knew about it for lik- "

"I understand. You never wanted me involved in your decision. You probably just wanted to finish with it and never speak up about it. I can't even comprehend this right now. I am so drunk. Please just..don't talk to me. I'm leaving this place. ", his voice gets smaller and smaller as he speaks, trembling, full of emotion, I assume while walking away.

"Shit. Colton. I need help to go home!", I try and yell but my voice betrays me.

I don't feel very well.

The phone in my pocket rings. It takes everything in me to pull it out of the back of my pants.

"Hello..", I mutter out, not looking at the ID.

"Ross..", Laura's soft voice gets me moved on the inside. "I don't... feel good. "

My eyes are wide. "What's wrong Laur?"

I decide not to tell her I just threw up. It'd only worry her when she's not feeling fine herself. God, thank you. She called. I know she's alive at least. Not helping that we're both in a pinch though.

"I don't know.. I can barely.. speak. I can barely stay awake..", she whispers. "Everything is just spinning. "

"Laur?", I call for her in panic. "Do you have anyone in the dorms to look out for you? "

"No. " her answer is short.

"Hang in there. I am coming. " I slowly try to get up but my knees are a little weak. I no longer care about this party. After everything, I just want to be with Laura and forget all this drama. At least for as long as I'm allowed to.

"Okay..", her voice breaks and I hear heavy breaths. 

I struggle a bit with standing up but notice she had gone quiet on the other line.

"Laura? Laura are you awake?", I speak loudly. "Laur, answer me?"

Fuck.

I hold my hands against the toilet as I push myself to my unsteady feet.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Vote and comment for more.

Be. Prepared. For. What's. Coming.

SEE YA!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6K 253 17
HIGHEST RANKS ~ #2 in raurafanfiction (08/19/2021) God, I wish that you had thought this through before I went and fell in love with you. ~ "What if...
9.6K 454 16
[COMPLETE] After realizing that Ross' family had cut him off for his change in behavior and attitude, he was out of luck and on his own. Years later...
22.3K 1K 32
Laura never knew anything about love. She has never fallen in love, and says its just a waste of time. (In this story, Vanessa doesn't exist). Then...
4.8K 159 44
Laura Marano she lives on her own so she has to pay the rent so she is a waitress at a small cafe, she loves music but it is very hard to trust peopl...