Escaping Duty

By Sayonara_A

After encountering something of myths one day after work, Valentina begins questioning her once mundane world... More

Chapter 1 Pt. 1
Chapter 1 Pt. 2
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Epilogue
Authors Note

Chapter 25

14 2 1
By Sayonara_A

'Where are they?' Mason thought pouring on speed as he followed their trail through the woods.

Jumping over a tangle of branches he ran following the scent and going as fast as his four legs would carry him. Angry couldn't describe how he felt right now. They had attacked her! Someone innocent, that had no business with them, but most of all it was her. He told them not to go after humans and they choose her. He should've known those rogues would be a problem. Henry didn't agree with their ways since the beginning, and April followed him around like a pup. Mason had made sure Valentina was in the ambulance and followed at a distance to make sure she was safe before going back into the woods. In the time he got distracted the two of them had taken off. If no – when he found them he'd make them pay. Growling Mason pushed himself even faster trees blurring around him and he swore he could smell her. April wasn't too much further ahead of him, and she was being sloppy. Crashing around through the trees loud enough to alert any wolf that could be hunting her. Baring fangs Mason could practically reach out his muzzle and bit her hind leg now.

'I'm sorry. We were just so hungry, and Henry said they'd be an easy meal' she projected into his mind, but he didn't care.

If she wanted an easy target he'd show her what it felt like to be one. Reaching forward he clamped his powerful jaw shut only nipping her back leg but she whimpered none the less scared. The smell of her fear fueled Mason and his wolf as he chased her and gained on her as she grew tired. A few more feet and he'd be on top of her. Opening his jaw one more time as he was on top of her, he reared back when a large black wolf with hazel eyes got in his path. Sliding to a stop and growling as he saw her get away he glared at Jaden who also bristled seeing him.

'You showed her you were a wolf' he growled baring fangs.

'I don't have time for this' Mason said shaking his head and attempting to sidestep his friend who only blocked his path.

'You've put werewolves in danger. You put yourself in danger Mason!' he continued glaring at Mason.

Masons hackled rose at the challenge, but he focused on where he wanted to direct his anger. It was at the rogue getting away from him.

'I don't care Jaden, they were going to kill them'

'You could've saved them without revealing what you were. You wanted her to know! Why are you being this reckless? Do you want to get killed?' Jaden continued growling.

Mason bared his fangs huffing, 'Get out my way Jaden'

'How about you make me' Jaden challenged, and Mason growled louder. He didn't intend on fighting his friend, but anger burned his veins and the thought of fighting, in general, seemed appealing right now.

'I don't want to fight my friend'

'And I don't remember mine being suicidal. I've stuck by you through everything Mason just tell me why you're doing what you're doing, and I can try understanding. As your friend, that's all I ask'

'I don't know why okay! I heard her in trouble and I reacted okay?' Mason snapped. He didn't know why but when it came to her he didn't think about himself first. Just like that other time and even though he didn't know understand it some deep part of him did want her to know what he was.

'I'm telling you the truth. Now get out of my way Mason'

'It's us against them Mason and it's starting to look like you're choosing them. What happened to the guy who killed his Alpha to protect his pack?'

'I've told you everything already Jaden. Now goodbye' Mason said finally running and getting around his friend.

Frustrated he knew though that April had already cleared a lot of ground. He probably wouldn't be able to catch up to her, but he still ran as if he could. Eventually, when he had run another 20 miles he stopped growling and turned back around. April and Henry were gone and as much as he wanted revenge on them he had to think about what to do next. The hunters are definitely going to retaliate after they attacked their daughter.

Mason walked back the way he came until he picked up another scent and jogged in that direction. As he approached he saw a tawny wolf with grey eyes growling at two smaller wolves. The tawny wolf looked up at him but didn't budge from blocking the two smaller wolves who had clearly been trying to leave.

'I leave for a few days and you've got rogues running around everywhere?' Yasmin said.

'Lily? Troy?' Mason asked, and the two smaller wolves lifted their tails wagging when they saw him.

'Mason! We were so scared' Lily cried walking over to him and rubbing her body against his leg. Troy stayed off to the side but wagged his tail slowly too.

The irrational side of Mason still wanted to be mad. Wanted to blame the two younger rogues for the actions of the older ones. But he knew they had nothing to do with what they had planned. Unfortunately, they were in trouble now because of it.

'What's going on?' Yasmin asked watching the two rogues interact with him.

'Not much time to explain but I'll recap you on it. Follow me, you guys.' Mason directed jerking his head in one direction. He took off at a decent pace for the little ones to follow.

As they ran Mason explained the rogues' situation to Yasmin and she informed him that she might've bought them a little more time. He wasn't sure if buying time with the pack would save them right now from the hunter though.

'Those assholes. So, what's the plan now and what are we going to do with the kids? They'll just get themselves killed out here' Yasmin asked bluntly, and Lily yipped scared at the comment. Troy's ears flattened against his head with the comment showing his own fear.

'We need to get them out of here somehow. They don't deserve to pay for what Henry and April did, but I'm worried the hunters are going to go all out with hunting them down now.'

'Any ideas then genius?' Yasmin asked as they made a sharp turn between the trees and paused a moment to wait for the younger wolves.

'Yeah but let's hope it even works' Mason thought as they ran.

Along the way, Mason tried sending a message out to get Jaden's attention since he'd need his friend help, but he wasn't sure if he'd respond. Something felt off with Jaden the past two days. and while Mason wanted to know they never seemed to have the time to. Slowing to a stop near the edge of the woods Mason looked back at the three wolves nodding.

'We'll need to shift back here'

Once he and Yasmin had shifted back, (and located one of the many storing places for clothes in the woods) they waited for the younger wolves to change back but realized it was taking too long.

"What's the problem?" Yasmin asked them and Troy sulked walking towards them.

Even though they were small Troy's head came up to about Mason's waist. He and Lily both hadn't changed back yet and were whimpering.

'We haven't gotten very good at shifting back on a full moon before' he projected to Masons.

Yasmin sighed and looked towards Mason since he had the plan, but he hadn't been expecting the wolves to not be able to shift back yet on a full moon. Squeezing the bridge of his nose Mason worked it out in his head.

"It's okay, its fine. Roland's place isn't far from here I'm going to ask if we could borrow his truck and try sneaking you both out past the town"

"And how will that work if they're like that?" Yasmin asked gesturing towards them.

"They'll have to lie low and he'll need to cover them but Yasmin, I'm going to need you to go with him"

"What? Why am I stuck with the getaway and the human?' she asked rolling her eyes.

"Do you want them to die?" Mason asked pointedly not in the mood for one of her moments.

Yasmin pressed her mouth shut and looked away crossing her arms. That was a stubborn way of saying no but Mason got the message. Walking over to her he grabbed her in a hug tightly and she stiffened caught off guard by the action. Lily and Troy gathered around them to press their bodies against Yasmin saying their thanks.

"Thank you for buying us some time and helping them," he told her letting who go. She rubbed her arm as if uncomfortable by his action, but he saw the faint blush on her cheeks in the moonlight.

"It's no big deal, but why go through all this trouble for them?" she asked him curiously as Lily and Troy went ahead through the trees.

"Because I want to be able to save someone without them getting hurt for once," he muttered then started backing away through the trees. "I'll try finding Jaden and well work to hold them off, please be safe and tell Roland I'll owe him big time for this one"

Yasmin nodded heading the other way and Mason turned jogging back into the trees. All he hoped was that nothing would happen but something in his gut told him it wouldn't nearly be that easy. 

Comment any thoughts and Vote if you enjoy!!! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2M 83.3K 55
Scars... Some are worn on the outside and read like a book, others are hidden on the inside, unseen but shape every fabric of our being. Alpha Chris...
Xylus By immi

Werewolf

451K 14.5K 20
"Stop walking away from me!" I rolled my eyes before turning around to face him. "Oh sorry Alpha, I didn't know I had to ask your permission to be e...
3.7M 153K 56
Book 2 of The Alpha Series - Sequel to my first book, The Hybrid. Kaden's Luna cannot be read as a stand alone book! Kaden Reid is known as a rogue w...
628K 21.5K 51
I jumped to my feet and punched him in the side. There was hardly an effect. "You're weak" he spat, walking a step closer towards me. I growled as...