Chase Me

By LencySlamet

Amari Vasilios, the CEO of a rapidly growing Advertising Company in California, experienced a heartbreak from... More

Little note to my readers
1.
2.
3.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
"Muse" P U B L I S H E D

4.

16.6K 476 39
By LencySlamet

I unlocked the door to my apartment and tossed my keys into the bowl on the table next to the entrance. Flicking on the lights, I quickly shed my clothes. It had become a habit after living alone for so long. Returning to the tranquility of my empty and quiet apartment was a blissful feeling after being surrounded by people all day.

The peaceful silence that greeted me upon entering my apartment was soon shattered by the blaring of my phone. Letting out an internal groan, I reached into my bag and rummaged through its contents. In the process, my hand accidentally brushed against something sticky, and when I pulled it out, I discovered a piece of chewed gum I had forgotten to throw away. I looked at it in disgust and immediately wiped my hand on a tissue.

Finally locating my phone, I swiped across the screen and tapped on the speaker button. The caller ID revealed that it was my dear mother calling.

Mom - Amari

Amari?! Finally, after twenty-five missed calls. Vasilios, your daughter finally picked up her phone! Where have you been?!!

Sorry, mom. I was quite busy at that time.

Nonsense. You don't even have time for your own family. Did you get the invitation?

As I already said, I'm sorry. I uhm... got the invitation.

You did? Are you excited? Your brother is getting married! I cannot wait until it's your turn!

I am excited!

You don't sound like it.

Yayyy. I am sooo excited!

Oh goodness, that was so bad. What's the matter, Amari? You think I haven't notice that you never stay longer than one week in New York. Is that the problem?

Yes, mom. That's exactly the problem.

Sucks to be you then, because you will have to stay for one month. It's an order from me and your dad!

One month! But Angelica told me two weeks!

That was before. But now it's one month. I want my family together. Plus there's going to be a lot of potential candidates for you here. You need time to get to know them!

Mom, I have a company to run in California. And I'm not thinking of marrying anybody anytime soon. You will have to wait for another twenty years.

Twenty years?! Goodness gracious, I will be cold in my grave by then! And Running a company? That's not an excuse. Your dad runs a company too and it's not hard to get a month off. You will be coming!

Mom!

It's not up for discussion, Amari. Your father is very proud, but also very disappointed in you.

Why? What did I even do?

You're very successful and he couldn't be any more proud, but you haven't spend a lot of time with us. Which he is very disappointed about.

Can I talk to him?

He's burning...I mean cooking in the kitchen. Call later if you want.

About the wedding. I still do not want to stay for an entire month in New York.

Can you at least tell me why?

No mom, I have my reasons. It's not about family. It's different.

Different as in Zane-different?

Mom!

You two are not on good terms aren't you?

Who told you?

No one told me. I just know!

No, we are not on good terms. But I don't want to talk about it.

Is he the reason why you never want to stay longer than one week in New York?

Ye..No! Mom, I have to go now. Talk to you later.

Love you! And call more often, will you?

Love you too! And yes I will!

It was a timely call. I nearly revealed to my mom the reason why I didn't want to stay in New York for an extended period of time. I didn't want to jeopardize the relationship my parents had with the Shaw family over some petty drama between Zane and me. Knowing my dad, once he heard the reason behind our falling out, he would go to great lengths to undermine the Shaw family.

I had witnessed it happen with other families countless times before. My dad was a caring and loving husband and father, but once he stepped into his office, he transformed into a ruthless businessman.

Gathering my clothes from the floor, I made my way to my spacious bedroom with a queen-size bed. It was my favorite place in the entire apartment. The room boasted floor-to-ceiling windows, a glossy marble floor adorned with a white fluffy rug, walls painted in a beautiful pale sandy fawn color, and a grand chandelier in the center of the ceiling providing a soft, ambient glow.

I tossed my clothes onto the pile of other garments on the black chair in the corner. If I ever found the time, I would fold and organize them in my messy closet, which resembled the rest of the apartment. The only tidy spot in the entire place was my bed.

As I walked into the bathroom, narrowly avoiding tripping over an empty shampoo bottle, I studied my reflection in the mirror. My slumped shoulders and dark circles under my eyes served as evidence of my lack of sleep. Turning the steel tap of the marble sink, I leaned down and splashed water on my face, attempting to wash away my exhaustion. After repeating the process four times, I finally straightened up and blindly reached out for the towel.

Gently patting my face dry, I exited the bathroom and made my way to the kitchen. The sink greeted me with a pile of dishes from last night and the past two weeks, embodying the chaos of my messy kitchen.

A lone slice of cheese and an empty milk container stared up at me from the floor. Letting out a grunt, I tossed the towel onto the kitchen counter and squatted down to pick up the unsightly slice of cheese, now coated in fungus, and the foul-smelling empty milk container. The stench caused a wave of nausea, and I had to fight the urge to vomit right there on the floor.

Disposing of the cheese and milk container in the trashcan, I washed my hands with soap and dried them on a clean tablecloth.

It was clear that I needed to hire a maid because this situation was spiraling out of control. My apartment was slowly turning into a dump, and with my busy schedule, I simply didn't have the time to clean it up. Most days, even Sundays, I found myself at the office until late at night or early in the morning.

Somewhere in the apartment, my phone began to ring. I cursed loudly, frantically running around like a maniac in search of the elusive device. Finally, after the second ring, I discovered it wedged between my thong and bra.

The caller ID displayed Millie Billie. I hesitated before sliding my finger across the screen. It had been so long since I last spoke to him or Yasmin, and I anticipated that he would scold me like the protective big brother he was.

Milan - Amari

Oh my god! Yasmin, the bloody witch of my sister finally picked up! Hey Amari!

Hello Millie Billie.

When will you stop calling me that? I hate you, you know!

When you will stop calling me a bloody witch and I love you too. What's the reason behind the call?

I miss you, alright! You haven't called anyone for a month! Are you crazy?

No, I'm not crazy. I'm just busy with work. You out of everyone should know that.

At least I make time for my family. Anyways have you received the invitation?

Yes. I'm disappointed.

What? Why?

I don't want to walk down the aisle with Zane! Who even came up with that idea?

But he's your boyfriend and I came up with it! Geez Amari, why so much venom in your voice? What happened between the two of you?

He's not my boyfriend. Stop saying that. I have all the right to be venomous towards him.

Damn...What happened to the two of you? You never told me.

I'm pretty sure he told you.

He didn't. He said you two are on good terms. That's why I chose you two to walk together.

Good terms his ass. Can you ask Yasmin if I can change partners?

............She said no. She already ordered the dresses and tuxedos.

What?! How does she even know my size? Are you two crazy?

Angelica told her. And yes, we are crazy in love.

....I have to go now.

With frustration boiling inside me, I abruptly ended the call and tossed my phone onto the couch. This situation was bound to turn into a disaster—a cruel trick.

My dress had already been ordered, leaving me with no choice but to walk down the aisle with the person I had successfully avoided for five years. Just one month in New York was enough time for Zane to find his way back into my heart.

I had done everything in my power to stay away from him, to shield myself from further heartbreak. Yet now, I could already envision everything crumbling to ashes. Collapsing onto the couch, I stretched out my legs and let out a long, frustrated groan.

Suddenly, my phone screen lit up again, indicating two new text messages. I picked it up and saw that they were from Milan.

You don't have a choice, Amari. I will see you next month in New York. Whatever problem you have with Zane, you better fix it. Don't ruin my wedding, lil sis, or I will do the same to yours. Love you and call more often !!

**RECOMMEND/SHARE THIS STORY TO YOUR FRIENDS OR ANYONE WHO MIGHT LIKE IT !

Don't forget to Vote & Comment !

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

102K 1.6K 5
Where a couple manage to love with eachother for 5 years but suddenly something goes terribly wrong especially for the boy (Mike) ...
2.2M 131K 45
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
10.9M 251K 60
𝐅𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐄𝐧𝐞𝐦𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬 Enzo Mariano is known for being nothing but ruthless. He is feared by all in the Italian mafia. He kills on...