CROSSROADS

By akriti_sharma

She for him was a faded memory He for her was the privileged one She was very vocal about her hatred He was... More

Prologue
1-{Denmark Diaries}
3-{Stairway to Closeness}
4-{This is what loves looks like}
5-{Its about family}

2-{Can they Coexist?}

2.9K 419 183
By akriti_sharma

Hola.. It is 6:30 on the clock and i am finally done with the update...I was up the entire night writing this one yet I don't feel sleepy at all as i am pretty excited to share it with you all..

But but before that a very short note..I write notes at the beginning of the chapter because I am not really sure by the end of it you would read it or not for you might get tired reading a long update

People I would be unavailable on wattpad for two days during the day at least..the reason is that I have a very important meeting lined up in these two days and i would be really busy with that...Wish me luck...I would be able to check the response only by Wednesday, and i hope i wont be left disappointed*****Fingers Crossed*****

About the story, i had mentioned it in the teaser, just re-posting it here since the teaser is now deleted..."the story will end in 5-6 chapters"...I am sorry though I am overwhelmed with the response I had initially thought of only 5-6 chapters for the story and I can't stretch it beyond that for then the essence will be lost..in case i am able to think of a track, i wouldn't mind continuing it but right now i have the track clear in my head only for 6 updates i guess; secondly "the updates for this story will be posted every Sunday night (or late night) for the updates will always be long enough just like this one"...!!

So coming back to the story, who is your favorite character so far or is it too early to ask this question..?? I toh love Kartikeya so much that 80% of this chapter his POV

--------------------------------------------

{Can they Coexist?}

Kartikeya's POV

My eyelids flickered open to the soft and pleasing sounds of wind chimes. I close them again, hoping for the sleep to return, for my mind to tumble back to dreams, but they won't. Moreover the wind chimes continue to weave early morning pleasant melody ringing every time the wind blows. You must be wondering where these wind chimes came from, right..!! It was all about dream catchers, isn't it..!!

But my dear friends, that was until the house opposite to us was unoccupied, it's been a month that Manik and Nandini have shifted in there and made that structure of bricks and cement, a Home. Like Myra loves dream catchers, Nandini is fond of wind chimes. So basically, all in all the balconies of the two homes have been successfully captured by feng shui stuff..Period !!

Nonetheless, I decided to get up when a realized a hand holding mine and thereby not allowing me to get up. Now for others it might be a wonderful lovely scene full of romance, the kinds they would like to wake up to everyday but for me it is completely opposite. I don't want to wake up like this every morning. You might feel I have lost my mind, but I am serious people, I don't wish to wake up to a morning where Myra has tightly held my hand for that signified the scared, insecured and disturbed night she went through. Myra is not like everyone else, she is different. She is not the hand holding or the hugging kinds, the only time she turns into one is when she is sick or her mind is unsettled and so I am better off without the cuddling version of her than her being unwell or disturbed for that pains and pinches my heart more than the joy that holding hands bring along.

Slowly, untangling my palm from hers I get up from the bed to get myself a cup of black coffee. Yesterday was a tough night, me and Myra had an argument, a pretty heated one this time.I really don't know what got into me, but when I heard the conversation between her and Manik, I just lost it completely. I recalled the words I spoke to her "I am not hurt with the accusations that you've hurled today..I am just hurt knowing that your trust in me is so fragile", I am still mad at her and this time this anger is here to stay. She can't just question my loyalty and faithfulness, she might say it wasn't her intent but Dammit, it looked like that..!!

Oh Shit...Am I moving too fast..!! For sure I am, ain't I ??

Okay okay no need to be mad yaar...Let's rewind a bit to the very first no wait to the third morning of Manik and Nandini being here. The reason I am skipping first and second is because nothing interesting happened in those days. With both of them jet lagged, they spent most of the time sleeping and visiting the doctor. Oh yes, they visited the doctor, the very first day and I accompanied them. The doctor explained his case to us and I must say Manik is in some deep shit, the times ahead are going to be really tough with the difficult and painful treatment. Sitting in the doctor's room, I was just praying for Myra to come around, family support would make a lot of difference in Manik's case. It will not reduce the physical pain, agreed but it would keep his morale high.

Damn..!! Look at me I was skipping the first two days but ended up talking about the first day..!!    

Nonetheless fast forwarding to the third day, I got up in the morning and went to the balcony with my cup of coffee. Did I tell you that the balcony of the two houses was right opposite to one another ? I didn't... oh wait I just did..!!

So coming back to the point, I was standing next to the railing, amused at the scene that was unwinding on the other side. Poor Nandini was making a visibly sleepy Manik do morning yoga. Damn !! it was so funny. Manik was so disinterested in doing it while Nandini was just not giving up, like there was this posture, I guess it was "Dhanur(sh) Aasan" (What don't look at me like that, I know few basic Aasana's)..so basically they had to lie on their stomach,  then hold their ankles with their palms, thereby body stretching in form of a bow with the stomach and pelvic region being the only ones in contact with the floor; this was what was supposed to be done while Manik would either just lie down or hold Nandini's leg instead, thereby irritating her but she too acted stubborn and continued doing it till Manik got it right.

Their "Om chants", Oh!! how can I forget that, you know for a moment I was doubtful if they were actually pursuing music, because their chants were so out of sync, it was more like a competition of who would shout the loudest. I was enjoying the scene when I heard a giggle and that made me aware of my wife's presence.

"They are funny", exclaimed Myra

"Nope..they are adorable and very strong...they are facing each day with a smile on their faces which is very tough considering the situation they are in", I said as a matter of fact and stopped in the middle hoping that Myra would ask but she didn't. I looked up at her and her expressions clearly told me that she wanted to know more but then being the stubborn soul she is I knew she won't ask, so I continued

"Manik's treatment is not going to be easy. As per the doctors, it will be very painful as it progresses, plus there isn't a hundred percent guarantee of recovery either. However, it is the only treatment that has some hope, even if that's about fifty percent. Hey, did you ask the butler to get the herbs I messaged you day before yesterday ?", I asked Myra

"Yes they are in the kitchen..are they for him ?", Myra asked

"Yes, doctor says it will help in reducing the pain that he would feel due to seizures but the problem is that he is not willing to take it because they are too strong, he didn't even let us buy it the other day, that is why I messaged you to get it separately..!!", I replied

"So that man can take pain but will not take the meds.. Such a stubborn soul he is..", Myra uttered in annoyance

"Well I think being stubborn forms the primary DNA of Malhotra Genes", I said before walking back in the house.

About an hour later, a panicked Nandini ran into our home. Me and Myra were sitting in the lounge and I rushed to Nandini as soon as I saw her distorted state

"Nandini what's wrong ?", I asked

"Jijs Manik...he went for a bath..he came out of it shivering in cold", Nandini replied

"Did he forgot to switch on the geyser ?", I asked

"No he says, the geyser was not working..??"

"REALLY MYRA...THAT IS SO CHILDISH," I looked at my wife and exclaimed in my head while she just shrugged her shoulders and walked to the kitchen

"Jijs is there an extra blanket available ?"

I nodded and rushed to our room to get a blanket and then ran to the guest house. I entered and saw Nandini rubbing Manik's palms and feet while the heater was at the maximum temperature. Draping the blanket around him, I asked him, "Couldn't you just walk out of the washroom if the geyser was not working..?"

Manik just shrugged his shoulders in response. THESE SIBLINGS I TELL YOU..You know if given a choice I would just chop off these shoulders from their bodies, may be then they would answer using their mouths..!!

About fifteen minutes later, Myra entered holding a cup in her hands. We all looked at her questioningly. Sensing our questioning eyes, she forwarded the cup to Manik and spoke, "Here have this.. I made this with the few herbs in the kitchen, it will help in warming you a bit..!!"

Manik took it and tried drinking it in a go when Myra again spoke,

"It is hot, do you want to burn your tongue, drink it slowly"

Manik drank it slowly leaving me and Nandini astonished but not surprised for maybe we knew what was going in his head. He must have taken it as a challenge thrown at him by his sister just like the cold water in the washroom and let's face it he won't lose any such challenge even if it ends up with him suffering, But I knew at that moment that I had to talk to Myra about this challenge, its going a bit too far.

Soon Manik finished it and placed the cup on the table

"How was the taste..??", asked Myra

"Okay", replied Manik

"So you can have it every morning I suppose"

"Yes it is not that bad"

"Cool then ,Nandu I'll teach you how I made this, I used to herbs the doctor has asked to give him, the intake can be in form of a Kada"

"I am not taking those herbs, they taste yuck...I'll puke the moment I take them", exclaimed Manik

"Guess what you just did and I don't see you puking", replied Myra

"I am not taking it.. no arguments", he whined like a stubborn kid

"Okay then...being ready for cold shower every morning", Myra smirked and turned to leave

"It's so unfair", Manik continued with his pleading

"Life's unfair but you still have to live it right", Myra spoke without turning back and left while Manik made a crying face and screeched raising his arms in air before covering himself with a blanket, thereby showing his annoyance

While me and Nandini, we had our mouths hung open because let's just face it whatever happened was unexpected and amusing. Absorbing the happenings for a few minutes, we busted out laughing, a move that annoyed Manik even more as he almost kicked us out of the room

We walked out and busted into laughter once again. Both of us passed on a knowing smile at one another. "Chalo at least they can co-exist, that's a good start" was the thought that passed my head as I exited the guesthouse but at the same time the devil in me poked, "Hey..won't you tease your wife a little, Come On..!!"

Smirking I walked back in the living the room, and called out for Myra,

"Myra listen to the latest sher I have written"

Hey wait...did I tell you I write..?? Oh wait I just did...!!

"Ahan..Ishrad..!!", Myra replied...Did I tell you she loves listening to my shayari..?? Oh wait I just did

"Arz kiya hain 'Parwah or pyaar dil mein qaid karke baithe hain,

Ki Parwah or pyaar dil mein qaid karke baithe hain,

Lafz roz honton ki khidki par dastak dete hain

Bas ek baar aagaz kar de woh,

Hum yahan afsaana bayaan karne ke liye taiyaar baithe hain", I ended saying imaginary thank you's to the imaginary applause.

The look on Myra's face was worth watching. She was annoyed beyond measures and I could feel it

"Arz kiya Hai 'Galtfaimi ki nahi hain koi dawa doston

Ki Galtfaimi ki nahi hain koi dawa doston,

Sambhal jao, sambhal jao, kahin deh na jaye Aashiyaan,

Khyali khawbon se jo hain buna", Myra Replied, did I tell you she also writes..Oh wait I just did..!!

I laughed while she threw a magazine on the side table at me. Dodging it just in time, I ran to get ready for office not before planting a quick kiss on her forehead.

-----------

Nonetheless, time just flew by with Myra trying her best to irritate Manik while Manik taking it all bravely, sometimes getting annoyed and irritated, like the time when she added his medicinal herbs to his pasta, his face was worth a million captures and poor guy, not wait the stubborn guy ate it but then came in front of Myra and joined his hands and pleaded, " I am drinking herbs in the morning Kada, then why..? Please spare my pasta or else.."

"Else what", asked Myra

"Else I'll start eating outside everyday", threatened Manik

"Suit yourself Mister, let me just warn you eating in Denmark is not as cheap as you think it is", saying this she left leaving a helpless Manik behind. He whined and turned to me and mouthed a please before leaving me and Nandini alone in the dining room and we did what we always do, laughed our hearts out. Before you start assuming, look we are not sadists who take pleasure in someone's misery but this sibling drama was the spice to our otherwise bland life, who would want to give up on this daily dose of entertainment at least not us; though that night I had a hard time convincing Myra to not mess up with Manik's diet because it might affect his health and treatment in later stages.

-----------

Meanwhile, me and Manik too bonded over music. He is a great musician and there isn't an iota of doubt on that and surprisingly even Myra agreed to it. I remember the first time she heard him singing, probably that was the only time I heard her praising him without any sarcastic comments or taunts. I clearly remember, it was the second week of their stay with us. We had gone to an All Indian get together in a club nearby. The next day happened to be the first day of the therapy and we were tensed about how it would go, we included Myra as well, yes she knew about his treatment details for I made a conscious effort of keeping her updated. To ease the jitters and tension, I asked Manik to sing, Damn it was so soulful right from the very first note and the words they were magical

Suraj tera gardish mein hai, Dhalte huaa keh gaya

Phir laut ke aaunga main, Nazdeek hi hai subah

I looked up to him in adoration, this man standing with the guitar in his hands was in suffering more than any one of us yet he was talking about dreams, instilling hope in us.

Gaaye jaa, gaaye jaa, Gham mein hai sargam

Gunguna ye dhun, gaaye jaa..

Gaaye ja, gaaye ja, Raat ke dhaagon se savera bun,

gaaye ja..

Gaaye ja, gaaye ja, Gham mein hai sargam

Gunguna ye dhun, gaaye jaa

Myra held my hand in a tight grip as soon as he started the chorus taking me by surprise. I looked at her and she had tears in her eyes. Just then, I paid attention to tune and I realized I had heard it before. Oh yes! I have heard Myra humming it but wait how does Manik know about it..?? My question was soon answered by Nandini who told me that Myra used this tune to put Manik to sleep as a kid. I sat there amazed at the fact that Manik remembered the tune and not just that he carved it into a beautiful melody of soulful words. Manik, then, looked at Nandini as he sang the next lines

Apna hi apna kyun kehlaaya hai

Kaise koi tay karta hai kaun paraaya hai

Ek wohi rishta teri kamaayi hai

Dard ke pal mein jisne tera saath nibhaya hai

I took Nandini in a side hug. She too had tears in her eyes. So basically, both of my shoulders were getting wet with the tears of the girls holding on to them, Nandini on the left and Myra on the right while I sat there consoling them. It wasn't like I didn't feel like crying but tears and I don't go along. We are just not meant to be together..Period !!

Toota huaa to kya sitaara tu

Kisi ka bann sahara tu..

Gaaye jaa, gaaye jaa, Gham mein hai sargam

Gunguna ye dhun, gaaye jaa..

Gaaye ja, gaaye ja, Raat ke dhaagon se savera bun,

gaaye ja..

Gaaye ja, gaaye ja, Gham mein hai sargam

Gunguna ye dhun, gaaye jaa

And with that Manik ended the song receiving a thunderous applause. It was then, the Music Label owner in me exclaimed in happiness after all, it had found its next superstar. When Manik came to us after the performance, Myra tapped his shoulder and said, "You did good up there...really good..!!" . Manik was surprised with the sudden adoration, and muttered a plain, simple, harmless Thank you. Well I don't blame the guy, he was caught unaware in the situation.

-----------

Apart from music, Manik and I also talked about Myra. I'll tell you one terrible problem with these Malhotra genes, they care but they don't know how to show or rather they don't want to show it for they believe it would make them weak. Like seriously, how lame is that..!!

Manik cared about Myra and it became evident to me on the day when he was ready to kill me when he got to know the circumstances I and Myra go married into. Wait Did I tell you about me and Myra's wedding..Oh wait I didn't...!! I would not go into details, will just give you the summarized version of it. Me and Myra met in college then we became housemates, then business partners and then we got married, sweet and simple Right..!!

You guys bought that didn't you..!! But guess what Manik didn't..!!

"Being housemates is fine but marriage..there is a story behind it right..!!", he asked

"Well yes...me and Myra needed money for our start up and she was not willing to ask your father for help, so we went to my grandmother who told me that our ancestral property can be transferred to me only when I get married. We thought about it, Myra and I were best friends, we were not dating anyone and we needed the property to further apply for a loan for our start up, therefore we decided to get married", I replied casually

"Hold on what about love..??", he asked

"Love well it wasn't there at that time, I don't know if it there even now", and that was it Manik charged on me like an angry bull and held my collar

"You are playing with my sister...give and take..is this what your relationship is", he shouted and I realized he completely misunderstood me

"Listen Manik, calm down", I tried speaking, "My relationship with your sister lies in the grey area...Please calm down and listen to me once", I almost pleaded. I didn't knew why I was explaining myself to him, may be the thought that my relationship with Myra was nothing but a give and take was something I couldn't digest. I started speaking after he calmed down a bit

"It's true, I might not love Myra and neither does she, but that doesn't mean our relationship is based on give and take...Yes that may have been the premise of the alliance but then there are other aspects too that make the bond stronger, like care, trust  and mutual respect we have for one other. It is simply about one's priorities, for instance for you and Nandini the basis of your relationship is obviously the love and trust you have one other, for me and Myra we have built our home on the pillars of care and mutual respect"

"But", Manik tried to intervene

"Don't worry Manik, I would never hurt your sister if that is what you are worried about. I believe in this marriage as much as she does and I would not let it crumble", I let out the breath i was holding when I heard Manik sighing in relief

"I just want her to be happy, she deserves happiness and happiness only", He remarked and soon our conversation drifted back to music

-----------

As I said everything was going fine until yesterday morning. The hell broke loose when I told Myra about my plan of launching Manik as a solo singer. My idea behind this act was primarily the fact that Manik's music was probably that only trait that impressed Myra to the extent that she expressed her pleasure but I didn't know that this act would trigger the insecurities I myself was unaware of. Honestly, I would have remained oblivious to them, had I, along with Nandini, not over heard the conversation between Myra and Manik. Me and Nandini had returned after collecting Manik's report when we saw Myra heading towards the guest house. We followed her silently.

Sitting on the sofa in the bedroom, Manik was tuning his guitar unaware of the storm that was about to hit him. Myra cleared her throat to get his attention; these siblings I tell you even after a month of living together, they are still not on Name basis with one another. Nonetheless, Manik straightened his posture and made some space for Myra to settle down.

"Trying a new tune", she initiated the conversation

"Hmm...just trying my luck", he replied

"Listen I don't like beating around the bush, so I'll come straight to the point, I want you and Nandini to find a place yourself and move out as quickly as possible", Myra announced taking all of us off guard, stunned and shocked, none of us saw this coming

"Why...have I and Nandini done something..??", he asked

"Not Nandu, she hasn't but you definitely have" , Myra accused

"I did, what did I do..??", he asked confused

"Do you know Kartikeya is planning to launch you in the Music world..??.. Ever since you and Nandu have come here, Kari is slowly moving away from me.. Every morning he gets up and comes straight to the balcony to witness your early morning yoga banter.. then we meet you at break-fast, you even accompany him to the office at times and then when I return in the evening I find him talking to you and Nandu in the garden..his conversations with me always include your progress reports, your diet, your therapy and now he wants to launch you... How, like how do you do that, Mr and Mrs Malhotra chose you over me, Nandini chose you over her career and now even Kari is choosing you..?? Kari is the only one I have with me, I can't let you take him away too..!! So please find a place for yourself and move out as quickly as you can", she spoke not realizing the impact her words caused or maybe she realized for she turned around to leave as soon as she ended her baseless accusations. I was about to enter to tell her how wrong she was when Manik's words stopped me in the middle and not just me but Myra too

"I didn't know why Dad and Neyonika choose me, I am lucky to have someone like Nandini in my life and I didn't know Kartikeya was planning to launch me, trust me he hasn't discussed it with me at all.. Dad was never with me, he was in the Ashram available on phone just as he is to you, hell he didn't even come to Mumbai to see me once... Just like you have Kartikeya, Nandini is the only one for me, shining for me like a star and Neyonika, Do you know why she chose me, only because I was young enough to be manipulated the way she wanted, she chose me so that she could extract money from Dad using me as a bait, she chose me so that she could take advantage of my weaknesses.. I know you hate me and yes I am at fault for not contacting you all these years, but I don't know if you would understand but I did that deliberately to not let Neyonika play with you, like she always did with the people close to me, she killed Cabir, she tried to kill Nandini why because they were close to me...I shall always chose not to stay in touch with you, if that kept you off her radar..You want me to leave I understand and I understand you if you don't trust me..But I am still glad that Neyonika chose me and not you..", Manik ended talking with a wobbly voice and that was it we couldn't stay there as mere spectators, Nandini rushed in to take Manik in a hug while held Myra's hand to drag her out. It was high time, I had to put some sense in her head. I dragged her out but before leaving I spoke,

"Nandini take care of Manik, tomorrow I'll find a place for you and Manik to stay, I promised Myra that in case she is uncomfortable, I shall arrange a different place for you guys, and visibly she is...So I'll start looking out tomorrow"

Saying this I left dragging Myra with me

-----------

I was too angry at Myra, all those tricks to irritate Manik were okay but this time she went too far. I left her next to bed and she stumbled resulting in the falling over it. Even in my anger I couldn't manhandle her and she thinks I'll leave her. I took my nightwear out from the cupboard and went to change while she sat on the bed watching my actions.

"Kari", she let out a muffled sob

"Don't...Don't you dare say anything Myra...!!", I shouted at her and she flinched at my tone

"Please listen to me once", she said

I left the clothes on the side table and stood next to her

"Listen, listen to what Myra...Didn't I make it clear to you that you are my priority.. even when your Dad called up regarding Manik, I categorically said that I will do whatever you want me to do..We agreed on it didn't we...?? Tell me didn't we..??",

"Yes but"

"But what...I used have my early morning coffee in the balcony since forever, why is it a problem today I don't understand...!! just because you saw me talking to Manik when you return from office, you thought I will leave you...I have been sitting in the garden whenever you return all these years Myra, it was just that I had a company now, something as simple as that never crossed your mind...Tell me..!! Yes I took Manik to the company but that was solely to get him accustomed to the new city he's come to and also to take his mind off the treatment stress...That was it..!! Manik didn't even know that I was planning to launch him, I had just discussed it with you casually but instead of confronting me, you went ahead and accused him of the things he hasn't done...How could you Myra..??"

"Kari I got scared, you are important to me.."   

"And yet you decided to keep your insecurities and fear hidden from me, I am not hurt with the accusations that you've hurled today..I am just hurt knowing that your trust in me is so fragile..!!"

Saying this I grabbed the nightwear and dashed into the washroom. I came out and lied down on the bed. Myra was already lying on her side, she hadn't changed her clothes, she was just crying. I wanted to take her in my embrace but I restrained, she should know when she is wrong. Before closing me eyes, I spoke

"And just for the record, Manik almost pounced on me when he got to know about our marriage arrangement, he thought I was using you, he was worried about you and it took me a lot of efforts to calm him down and convince him that I won't leave you, and you know he said, 'I just want her to be happy, she deserves happiness and happiness only'"

Saying this I closed my eyes. I had high hopes, hopes that these two can coexist but i was so wrong. Soon I sensed a palm holding mine and I knew who that was but I chose not to react.

-----------

(Kartikeya's POV ends)

-----------

A week had passed since Myra's outburst. Manik's treatment was getting rigorous with every passing day. Myra apologized to Kartikeya the very next day. He accepted the apology when Nandini and Manik requested him too. Kartikeya realized how Nandini and Manik are holding themselves responsible for his fight with Myra and he just didn't had the heart to let them live in the guilt. However, he stopped talking about or discussing Manik's treatment at home. Manik and Nandini stopped coming over to the main house for now they cooked meals by themselves in the guest house. The evening cup of coffee had again turned into a lone affair for Kartikeya.

Kartikeya looked around for a suitable place for their stay and soon they finalized on studio apartment very close to the hospital. They paid the security amount for the apartment and were all set to move in when they got a call from the owner saying that they can't shift in since the apartment got booked before and there was miscommunication at their end. They even refunded the security amount paid which was actually non-refundable.

Manik met Myra in the garden that night,

"I am sorry, we had finalized the apartment but just got a call that we can't shift in.. Don't worry I will try and find a new one and shift in that as soon as possible", Manik informed

"That is not needed, you can stay here...I am sorry I just got too overboard that day...I shouldn't have reacted in that manner...You and Nandu can stay here, I am sorry for lashing out.. Also, if you guys don't mind, you can come over and have dinner with us..." Myra spoke

"Umm.. Thanks but Nandini has already cooked the dinner may be some other day...and Thank you for letting us stay but let us know whenever our presence starts making you uncomfortable."

"I will and I am once again sorry for that day..."

"No worries..Good night"

"Umm..."

"You want to say something?"

"How are you feeling now.. I mean the treatment..!!"

"It is okay.. painful though"

"No Pain no gain right...you'll be fine soon"

"I hope so..Good night"

"Good night"

-----------

The very same night, Kartikeya was looking for file in his room when he accidently dropped Myra's diary. While placing it back, he noticed a paper that looked like a bill with something scribbled over it. He let out a chuckle on his wife's habit of writing on anything and everything. Myra believed in writing down her thoughts whenever and wherever they came in her mind, that is why, her phone was filled with her notes, she had scribbled upon numerous bills and magazines, Only god knows how she spared the official documents otherwise even the contract would had her poetry in the middle. Kartikeya sat down to read the lines written by her and the moment he read them, he knew why she wrote them and for whom

"Hum kuch kehien ya chup rahien,

Isi kashmakash mein doobe hain

Khamoshi ne jis dor ko uljha diya hain

Kahin lafz uss girah ko aur gehra na kar de"

He smiled and took a pen to reply to it but stopped reading a bill entry. He re-read it twice and took its snap in his phone and started writing just below the lines

"Khamoshi mein sukoon tarashte tarashte ,

Hum bhool gaye woh ruhaniyat jo alfason me hain,

Kabhi khul ke saamne aa aur bol ae dost

Jung jeeti kab band darwazon ne hain"

Writing this he folded the paper and placed it securely in the diary.

-----------

About two nights later, Kartikeya joined Nandini as she was sitting in the garden.

"She accused me of sitting in the balcony and staring at you, look now both of them are busy staring at each other.", he said pointing a Myra and Manik who were standing at their respective balconies looking at one another unaware of the two souls watching them from the garden.

"You know Di asked Manik to join you guys for dinner,", Nandini informed him

"What !! When did this happen ?"

"The day he told her about the studio apartment goof up. She apologized and then invited us for dinner"

"It was not a goof up exactly"

"What do you mean?"

"Let me show you something", Kartikeya took out his phone and scrolled up to the picture he took two days ago

"Jijs why are you showing me Di's credit card bill"

"Check entry number 4"

"Stephen studio apartments, amount paid 10,000 krone...wait isn't that the place we were going to stay"

"Yes.. Myra paid for the cancellation charges and also for repaid the security asking the owner to return our security in order to avoid any doubt"

"That means she didn't want us to leave"

"Exactly...I don't know if it was guilt or care but it was definitely a step forward. And wait it doesn't end here, she has also hired a detective in India to give her details about Neyonika Malhotra, especially about her relationship with her son"

"What..!! How do you know that..??"

"I have my ways...", Nandini made a face, "Okay baba...entry number 15 on the same bill is for a detective agency in India..I just digged in a little further and got to know.. Okay now the final shocker"

"There's more", Nandini asked surprised

"Oh yes...This is the delicious icing...Hold on", Kartikeya dialed a number keeping the phone on speaker. Nandini looked at him astonished for the number he dialed was that of Manik's doctor

"Hello Mr. Sahni...How may I help you..??", asked the doctor as he picked up the call

"Sorry to disturb you at this hour but this is regarding my wife's call to you with regards to Manik's health"

"oh yes...she called me...She asked in detail about his case.. and got really mad when I told her the painful consequences of the treatment..."

"Exactly for that please don't mind her words Doctor, actually Manik is her only brother and you know a sister's concern right.."

"Of course I understand...I realized her concern, the moment she requested me to make the treatment as painless as possible...Don't worry I didn't take offence to anything.. I hope Manik will be fine soon"

"We hope that too Doc.."Saying this he disconnected the call and turned to Nandini, "Before you ask I heard her talking to the doctor in office"

"She cares...but she is scared to show"

"I know just like he cares but he is hesitant to show"

Soon silence occupied the surroundings. Nandini looked at Kartikeya who was looking towards nowhere

"What are looking at so intently...there's nothing I could see"

"Well I am just staring the blank sky, the sky that is too vast yet not enough to let two stars coexist"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it for today

You can now stay in touch with me on instagram and twitter, my user name on both platforms is "akriti_mishti"

Take care and Stay Blessed

Cheers..!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32K 3.2K 11
"Can we love three people at the same time?" he texted "You too love three people?" her reply came instantly _____________________________________ "W...
374K 20K 32
Copyright ©️ 2021 the_bogummy All rights reserved. No part of this book/book may be reproduced without the writer's permission on any kind of sites...
223K 22.1K 44
Two people. Their tale after they bump into each other after nine years. One is back for a wedding. The other is where the one had left him years bef...
790K 51.5K 77
I'm not copying this Story but I'll be continuing the Story " Her Innocence " which was firstly written by @Aishaniaz who is unable to Continue it Fu...