Evolution, a Spencer Reid/Cri...

By CatJenkins

Criminal Minds Fanfiction. Spencer Reid's mind scares him. Sometimes it scares others. And there are those w... More

Chapter 1. Freak
Chapter 2. Heart-Felt
Chapter 3. Alone
Chapter 4. ESP-er Outed
Chapter 5. Disclosure Strategy
Chapter 6. A Defining Moment
Chapter 7. A Different Shade of Friendship
Chapter 8. Garcia Muzzled
Chapter 9. Plans Over Pizza
Chapter 10. Night Flight
Chapter 11. Gone
Chapter 12. Journey Through Hell
Chapter 13. Into the Woods
Chapter 14. Out of the Woods
Chapter 15. Homeward Bound
Chapter 16. In-Flight Betrayal
Chapter 17. Strategy at 30,000
Chapter 18. Avatars Amok
Chapter 19. A United Front
Chapter 20. A Little Cleaning Out
Chapter 21. Unexpected Encounter
Chapter 22. The Italian Connection
Chapter 23. Freak-Child in the City
Chapter 24. Small World
Chapter 25. Promise Number Three
Chapter 26. Puzzle Pieces
Chapter 27. Opportunity Knocks
Chapter 28. Bait
Chapter 29. Trap
Chapter 30. Bait Taken
Chapter 31. Into the Woods...Again
Chapter 32. Misplaced Trust
Chapter 33. Problematic Variable
Chapter 34. Whispers in the Dark
Chapter 35. Morning Cup of Joe
Chapter 36. Worries
Chapter 37. Misdirection
Chapter 38. Lost
Chapter 39. Glass Unicorn
Chapter 40. Mental Maze
Chapter 41. "Where you go..."
Chapter 42. Race
Chapter 43. Calling Hotch Home
Chapter 44. Rossi's Revenge, Part I
Chapter 45. Rampage
Chapter 46. Prognosis
Chapter 47. Rossi's Revenge, Part II
Chapter 48. Unfinished Meals & Memories
Chapter 49. Law vs. Justice
Chapter 50. Grasping at Straws
Chapter 52. Act of Trust
Chapter 53. Journey of the Mind
Chapter 54. A Different Shade of Alpha
Chapter 55. Truth in Blood
Chapter 56. Room for the Night
Chapter 57. Disturbing Presence
Chapter 58. Phone Games
Chapter 59. Loose Ends
Chapter 60. Ancient Wisdom
Chapter 61. Journey's End

Chapter 51. A Night at Millie's

1.3K 39 5
By CatJenkins

When David Rossi arrived at the hospital, he was ready to flash his badge and bristle and demand to see Hotch, regardless of visiting hours.

It was late in the evening. The nurse on duty wasn’t prepared to handle the man who threatened to invade every room until he found his friend. She called the doctor at home, apologizing for interrupting his dinner, but unsure how to deal with the intruder. Rossi had been considering demanding Hotch be air-lifted to a larger, more modern facility. But when the old physician had walked the two blocks from his home back to his workplace, Rossi changed his mind. This rural facility wasn’t so bad after all. Not with a doctor who was so adept at defusing worry and placating the tyrannical behavior Rossi knew he was exhibiting.

Without his standard uniform of white lab coat, without a stethoscope hanging around his neck, Rossi didn’t recognize the older gentleman who approached him as anything other than someone’s grandfather. And if he’s here to visit someone, there’s no reason I can’t see Aaron. But when a hand was extended and he introduced himself as the doctor on-call, Rossi felt a little ashamed of throwing his weight around.

“I understand, Mr. Rossi. Please believe your friend’s life is as precious to me as it is to you. And I guarantee he’ll be fine…as long as his entourage lets him rest, that is.” The way he peered over his half-moon glasses gave his admonishment a touch of humor. But Rossi was still worried. And the doctor could see that. This simple man considered it his duty to treat not only patients, but everyone who entered his hospital on their behalf, trailing along in the wake of someone’s illness or accident.

“I’ve given your…Aaron, is it?” Rossi nodded. “…something to make him sleep. I didn’t let your colleagues disturb him earlier when they said they had to ‘run something by him,’ and I won’t let you wake him either.”

“But…” Rossi’s objection was cut short as the doctor continued.

“However…” He held up a cautioning finger. “…I’ll take you to him and you can sit with him for a few minutes. But then I’m sending you down the road to Millie’s B&B. That’s where your friends are staying.” He raised his head, now studying Rossi through the lower portion of his glasses. “You look as though you could use some rest, too. So, if you’ll agree to get some, I’ll let you have ten minutes with your Aaron. Deal?”

Rossi expelled all his worry and frustration in a long, deflating breath. “Deal.”

As the doctor escorted Rossi through the halls, he decided he might as well deliver the disappointing news he’d been saving for the morning, when the others had said they would return.

“We did the blood analysis.”

Rossi’s head snapped up, interest and energy somewhat revived. “And?”

“And it’s as I feared. Anything he might have been given is no longer detectable. The combination of his metabolism and the medication with which we’ve been treating him have destroyed any…evidence?...you were hoping for. I’m sorry.”

“Damn.”

They stopped at the door of a darkened room. The doctor motioned for Rossi to enter. Lowering his voice, he reminded the visitor to keep things in perspective. “I know you’re disappointed, but I imagine in your line of business you figured out long ago that outcome is more important than evidence.” He smiled at the peaceful figure in the bed, one arm flung upward in the abandon of sleep. “And here’s what’s most important to you.”

Rossi moved to the bedside. He noted the immobilized leg, the glistening patches of ointment covering scrapes and scratches. But most of all he saw easy, restful sleep. He turned back to his escort. “Thank you, Doctor. May I stay? I won’t wake him.”

The doctor chuckled. “Honestly, I don’t think you could if you tried. He needs this too much to let someone pull him out of it just yet. As I said, you can have ten minutes. That should be enough time to reassure yourself he’s okay…or to say anything you need to say. Then I’m sending you to the B&B.”

The doctor turned away. He’d wait until he’d seen this newcomer off before going home to resume his own interrupted dinner. While he was waiting, he called Millie’s B&B, asking her to prepare for another guest.

And, yes, he understood four was her limit.

And, no, he didn’t think the sudden, inexplicable influx of tourists would run to more than that.

But if it did, he was sure the boy and girl who had ‘couple’ written all over them wouldn’t object to rooming together.

He hung up on Millie’s outraged spluttering at such an improper suggestion, trying hard to muffle his own laughter as he visualized the plump matron standing guard to ensure nothing scandalous took place with so many dangerous young hormones under her roof.

xxxxxxx

Rossi relaxed for the first time since Morgan had insisted they drive nonstop from Quantico to some godforsaken monastery in the middle of nowhere. Well, maybe not ‘godforsaken.’ After all, it is a monastery.

He watched Aaron sleep. After a few minutes, he admitted the wisdom of the doctor’s advice about getting some rest himself. He brushed his lips lightly over Hotch’s forehead, giving him a fatherly goodnight kiss. At the doorway, he sent up a silent ‘thank you’ for his friend’s survival. With a final yawn, Rossi went in search of Millie’s Bed & Breakfast.

Shouldn’t be too hard to find. Not in a town with all its businesses lined up along one street.

Nonetheless, he was pleasantly surprised when the old country doctor was waiting in the lobby to point him in the right direction.

By the time he reached the homey-looking, antiquated, Victorian house, he was happy to let Millie guide him to his room, chattering about how he’d have to share the bathroom with three…can you imagine…three!...other guests.

It was late. The others seemed to have retired for the night, so Rossi did the same.

It seemed he’d only closed his eyes when he was roused by knocking on his door.

xxxxxxx

“What!?” Rossi fought to free himself from the tangle of unfamiliar bedding.

“It’s Morgan!”

“Gimme a minute.”

“We’ll be downstairs….Better hurry or there won’t be any breakfast left!”

Rossi didn’t take the threat very seriously, but, just in case, he hurried anyway.

Fifteen minutes later, when he joined Morgan, Reid, and Ana, he found them deep in hushed conversation. Clearly, they were trying to keep the subject matter from falling into their hostess’ ears. Equally as obvious, Millie was doing her best to eavesdrop. When she wasn’t appearing at a shoulder ‘just checking’ to see if more toast or coffee was needed, she was swiping a cloth at already dust-free surfaces that happened to be in close proximity to the dining room table.

Rossi watched her eyes widen as he displayed his badge and asked her to give them some privacy. “FBI matters to discuss, Ma’am. I’m sure you understand .”

After she fled to the kitchen, Rossi took a seat. Morgan stifled a laugh. “You just gave her a story she’ll be circulating for at least the next decade.” He smiled as he continued demolishing a plateful of scrambled eggs. “You just may have become the stuff of legend, Mr. FBI-man.”

“Yes, I’m sure I’ll be the subject of fireside chat for generations to come.” Rossi poured himself some coffee before giving the details about how he’d left Dr. Bescardi.

Reid looked pensive. “Do you think her memory’ll be affected the way Hotch’s was?”

“Don’t know. Don’t much care.” Rossi forked a sausage onto his plate. “I’m more interested in Hotch’s anyway. I stopped by to look in on him before coming here last night.” A chorus of raised eyebrows demanded elaboration. “He was resting easy. Doctor seemed to think he’d be fine, but…”

“But what?” Morgan was alert, sensing bad news. Rossi noticed Reid and Ana had mirrored Morgan’s concern for an instant, but had exchanged looks and settled back and though they already knew what was coming next.

Maybe they do at that. Weird. He shook off a momentary chill and continued. “But the blood sample isn’t going to help us. Nothing showed up.” Rossi sighed. “It was a long shot, anyway.”

“Well…about that.” Reid looked anxious, uncomfortable and eager all at once. A smile for the emotional clumsiness of youth ghosted across Rossi’s lips, but he gave the doctor his full attention. “We were talking…” Reid glanced at Ana, who nodded encouragement at him. “…and maybe there’s a way to bring Hotch’s memory back. Maybe. Sort of. I mean, if it’s okay…”

“Reid! You’re starting to babble. That’s Garcia’s thing. Focus.” Rossi allowed himself a small ray of hope. If anyone can come up with an unexpected, creative solution…it’ll be Reid.

“I…I might be able to go into Hotch’s mind and kind of, you know…give him a nudge. Maybe.” Reid looked around the table. Ana radiated concerned support. Morgan had looked spooked when Reid had first mentioned the idea the night before. He still did. Rossi seemed hopeful, but wary.

Rossi studied his young colleague. He’s nervous. But if there’s a chance… “Okay, Dr. Reid. Let’s go see Hotch.”

“But one more thing, guys.” The collective move to rise from their seats halted. “I have to talk to Hotch first. I have to be sure he’s good with this. Got it?”

“Sure, kid. We understand. It’s the difference between you feeling invited or Hotch feeling invaded.” Morgan struggled to appear nonchalant. He treasured Reid as a little brother and was trying his best to accept the strange talents he’d acquired.

Rossi tossed his napkin on the table. “Alright, children, let’s go see our fallen leader.”

xxxxxxx

At the hospital not much had changed.

The day nurse paged Hotch’s doctor to talk to this motley group claiming next-of-kinship before letting them see him. Rossi wondered if the doctor ever took more than a few hours off. But when the doctor arrived, he gave each of them a clinical look as though assessing if they were well enough to endure the rigors of visiting. Apparently, they passed muster. They were told that Hotch was just waking up after nearly fifteen hours of sleep. They could visit as long as they wanted, provided the patient didn’t begin to tire.

At Hotch’s doorway, Ana hung back and let the others enter first. She stayed in the background, sending pulses of warm support toward Spencer.

Hotch’s eyes widened at the sight of Rossi. He’d been too weak to wonder at Morgan’s presence the previous day, but now he was puzzled.

“What happened? Why are you guys here?”

“Good morning. Nice to see you, too, Aaron.” Rossi’s grin belied the sarcasm of his words.

“Seriously,…” Hotch’s face fell. “Is everything okay back home? Jack?”

“Calm down, man. Everything’s fine.” Morgan didn’t want to see his boss ramp back up to panic mode.

“Actually, Derek here got worried. Said he didn’t like the lack of reliable communication. So we thought we’d go for a little drive. See how you were. See some of the countryside.”

Hotch gave them a suspicious sidelong look. He wasn’t buying it.

Rossi dropped all pretense and stepped closer. “Look, Aaron, you were hurt and you almost died. Doesn’t matter why we came. We’re just glad we got to you in time.”

Hotch let himself nestle back into his pillows. The look of confusion and discomfort that came over him at mention of his ordeal made Rossi hurry things along.

“Reid wants to try something.”

“But first, we need to talk.” Reid’s worried eyes met Hotch’s troubled ones.

Ana trailed her hand down Spencer’s arm in a reassuring caress. When she left the room, Rossi and Morgan took the hint.

“You guys need some time alone. We’ll be in the lobby if you need us.” Rossi walked over to Hotch and smiled down at him, laying a gentle hand along one side of the angular face. “I’m glad you’re okay, Aaron.” He drew his hand back, shaking it as though in pain. “And you really need a shave.”

Morgan nodded at Hotch before following the others. At the door, he turned and gave Reid a little push. “You’re on, kid.”

As the three made their way to the lobby, Morgan’s grin grew wider. “So, Rossi. Have you met Ana?”

“Just in passing. Not officially.” Rossi gave her an appraising look and one of the warmest smiles in his repertoire. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Ana.”

Mrs. Reid,” Morgan fake-whispered.

Just loud enough to be heard.

Everything else aside, Morgan was looking forward to all sorts of opportunities to embarrass the young couple. The possibilities were endless.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.1K 322 7
Hostage situations, injuries, and a kidnapping. The week was going all wrong for a one Spencer Reid. It seemed like he would never catch a break. DI...
59.3K 1.5K 16
- ͙۪۪̥˚┊❛ ❜┊˚ ͙۪۪̥◌ Reid's sister, for most of her life's has always allowed her past to haunt and shape her future, but what's happens when her past...
379K 10.6K 27
Hotch gets a text from a fellow coworker who is too shy to talk to him in person. Friendship. Boom. Love? Idk bro. text fic. [hotch x oc]
2.2K 41 15
Dr. Spencer Reid keeps having these dreams. Dreams were this girl follows him everywhere in a dark room, whispering "run" while walking. Then, he pas...