Land of the Blades

By JamesSylar

NOTE: This story isn't dead, I just have been way too busy to figure out how to blow up this writers block. ... More

1. Blades
2. White
3. Encounter
4. Arrow
5. Eyes
6. Progress
7. Methamorphosis
8. Ruler
9. Sea
10. Castaway
11. Agate
12. Winter
13. Gold
14. Red
15. Frozen
16. Spring
17. Separation
18. Ship
19. Puppy
20. Alone
21. Livy
22. Archer
23. Inheritance
25. Erosion
26. Wish
27. Exchange
28. Padparadscha
29. Adapt
30. Death
31. Rebirth
32. Dulled
33. Mind
34. Snake
35. Flash
36. Cairn
37. Communication
38. Assassin
39. Praying
40. Shadows
41. Sleepless
42. Departure
43. Meeting
44. Distortion
45. Static
46. Memories
47. Invasion
48. Approaching
49. Thesseus
50. An entirely new perspective.
51. For your sake.
52. A Shield

24. Removal

163 4 0
By JamesSylar

After the initial shock, Caster was introduced by Adamant to the rest of us, and she started to relate the information she had agreed to exchange in place for protection, in the most over the top way possible. Phos and I sat a bit far away, since we already knew most of what she had to say. Caster told them about the Holy Grail War ritual, including the fact that I was one of the "summoned servants" who were meant to fight for it. They took that pretty well, or at least didn't seem shocked by the revelation as Phos was.

—And the last Servant alive can ask anything they wish for to the grail —Caster added.

—Any wish? —Alexi asked.

—Could we ask for the return of our brothers that were taken to the moon? —Yellow asked.

—And that the Lunarians will stop attacking us? —Jade asked.

Rutile seemed to have wanted to ask something, but keep it to herself.

—Of course, all of that would be possible —Caster replied, crossing her arms—, but if you were to use that method, even after defeating all of the other servants, either Shirou or me should be sacrificed to fulfill the requirements. And you will only get one wish. However, HOWEVER, there is an alternative! For I was made from the souls of a powerful witch and an even more powerful and wiser goddesses. Fulfilling those wishes of yours shouldn't be a problem for me... once I return to my peak.

—How long would that take? —Bort said with an intimidating tone, and Caster made herself a bit smaller in response.

—Ahaha, well, you see... maybe... at best... around 500 years... —Caster replied sheepishly.

She closed her eyes and braced herself, as if she was expecting a reprimand. Instead, Bort nodded.

—That sounds reasonable. We'll protect you until then.

Caster still didn't move for a couple of seconds, not fully believing what Bort had said. For her who had probably lived only as long as I had, that sounded like a lot of time, but for the majority of them it was like a small price if it meant we could bring back their fallen comrades and live without having to worry about the Lunarians. They keep asking Caster about what kinds of things she could do once she recovered her magic, and she proceeded to amaze them with extraordinary tales and descriptions. Euclase had to steer the conversation back to what mattered, and Caster continued to her discourse, until she told them everything she had told us before.

However, I noticed that she avoided mentioning anything about humans and the connection between the three races this time. This seemed suspicious as she had talked about them without any worry before, but not after she was left alone with Adamant, after Phos broke Ghost. She also mentioned that Rider will probably try to "rescue" her, once she realized we weren't under the sea anymore. She warned us that while there were others who were stronger than her, Rider's noble phantasm was extremely dangerous. She had then to explain to them that a noble phantasm was the special weapon or technique of each servant, in more eloquent words.

—But don't worry about it, for you now have the goddess of victory and wisdom at your side! —Caster haughtily said.

Dia raised her hand.

—Excuse me, wasn't Rider your friend? Isn't there any way to convince him and the rest to join us too?

—Hmmm, I'm afraid that would be impossible —Caster answered after thinking about it for a moment—, I can't speak for those who I didn't get to know, but Lancer and Rider seemed to have been designed to care about the Holy Grail War before even their own interest or self preservation. That was probably because Shirou and I showed some independent thoughts. It is safe to assume the rest was made the same way. Trying to get them to stop and join our side will be near impossible.

After that, Jade and Euclase were assigned to keep an eye on Caster, since they were usually not on patrol duty, and Caster find it safer to stay inside the school. Phos took me by the hand as soon as the meeting was over and directed me to the library, with Ghost following closely. The Lunarian dog and Livy tagged along.

—I told you already that you are one of us, and I trust you —Phos said to me, after closing the door—, but I have some questions. First of all, what do you remember about your former life as a human?

I could only remember things without context, like some sort of encyclopedia where each article wasn't connected to any of the others and full of missing pages. The things I remember best were a myriad of swords, each with a unique design and abilities. What I remember worse were people faces, only a handful were more than smudges on my mind, with some of them resembling those of Lancer, Caster and Rider. I related this to Phos.

—So Franny is using familiar faces to attack you, either to try to hurt you emotionally or to make you doubt and have an advantage —Phos said.

—If that's the case, she is wasting her time —I replied—, I was surprised and somewhat nostalgic when I saw them, and I wouldn't have fought them if they hadn't attacked us, but I didn't feel anything strong enough to make me stop. I don't think I inherited the feelings my former self might have had for them.

—You are a cold one, Shirou —Ghost said, and I couldn't disagree entirely.

—Well then, what about the time you spent on the moon? Do you remember anything about that? Or how did you ended up on the beach that day we found you?

—I don't remember anything about that. The first thing I saw was when you woke me up —I answered.

I hadn't thought about it, but now that she had mentioned it, it started to bother me. Could I have been launched from the moon? With what purpose? And why did I lose my memories if Caster and the rest kept theirs. We agreed we would have to ask Caster about it next time.

—Then, final question. What do you think of Sensei?

I stopped to think about it.

—I still don't think he meant us harm, but I can't trust him, even if he has reasons to keep information hidden from you —I said, and explained my recently found doubts about Caster hiding things after she was alone with Adamant—, I don't think we can trust Caster blindly either.

—I agree —she said in a calm and a bit disheartened tone. She opened her mouth to say something more, but was interrupted by a series of loud noises. Through the window, we saw a very peculiar scene developing, Zircon was pursuing Bort with brushes, and even when she defended herself with her sword and her sharp hair, the young gem was relentless. I was utterly confused.

Apparently, in the few days I had been gone, she had been assigned to be Bort's partner, and went from being terrified of her, to become very proactive in their relationship. Others gems who were returning from patrolling duties joined as spectators, cheering for Zircon. I saw Phos draw a slight smile on her face at the sight of such wholesome scene, until Adamant appeared. Her face turned grim as soon as he entered her field of vision.

—I was his personal assistant, I thought I knew him better than anyone else, but I can't tell if he is being honest or lying, I can't read his face or intentions at all —she said, and looked at me, burrowing her eyebrows—. With you, at least I get a feeling that something is wrong when you hide something or lie about it, and you talk if you are confronted, but that's impossible for Sensei. He ignores the questions, or just outright lies about it. I don't know if he cares about us or if he just acts without any meaning... —Phos said in a very somber tone, and then looked around to the corner where Ghost had been petting the puppy—, what do you think, Ghost?

—Mmmh, are you sure I should be hearing about this kind of conspiracy talks? I could tell everything to Sensei and the rest.

—You already have heard enough, and we could be talking in front of him and he wouldn't particularly care about it... But please don't tell Bort or Jade, they could take the situation in their own hands and it will become a mess. In any case, I do trust you and I would like to hear your opinion. Shirou and I could be biased, we need someone impartial.

Ghost smiled.

—I can't assure my impartiality, but I'll try to give my honest opinion. I don't particularly care about Sensei's hidden connection with the Lunarians, there must be a reason for it and there must be a reason for him to hide it in the first place. That's what I think. However, long ago, Lapis had the same doubts about Sensei that you have now. At least, I presume he had them, he never spoke to me about it. He kept it all to himself, but I could tell. So, the fact that you have put your thrust on me makes me really happy. I'll be your ally and help you in any way you would need, even if I don't share your doubts.

Phos was shaking after that, and looked away.

—T-thank you... —she managed to say.

Ghost got closer to Phos, attempting to embrace her, but we were interrupted again.

—SENSEI! SENSEI! —we heard Morga yell as she approached— Big problem!!

—There is a Lunarian Sunspot coming in this direction —Goshe added— it kept ignoring us and flying too high for us to reach it.

—There is another one coming from the south! —Benito said, arriving just then.

Bort grabbed Zircon, and after spinning her a couple of times, she threw her upwards.

—Another is coming from the northeast, the three are approaching at the same speed and- AHHHHHHHHH!! —she lost her cool as soon as she started falling, but Bort did catch her without cracking her.

We went outside as fast as we could, but by the time we reach everyone, the Sunspots were right in front of them.

—Everyone stay behind me —Adamant said.

—Those Lunarians are idiots for coming directly to our doorste —Zircon was saying, but stopped suddenly. I tried to turn my head to where she was, but find myself unable to move. Everyone in my line of sight looked as if they were paralyzed.

—That's the effect of one of Rider's Noble Phantasm, Gorgon's Eyes —Caster said, calmly walking between us.

The Sunspots approached the earth, and two huge Lunarians jumped from it, one carrying Rider in his shoulder. She wasn't covering her eyes this time.

—Caster, are you alright? We came to save you.

—I appreciate the thought —Caster replied—, but I have decided to ally with them instead.

—Hmmm, is that so? Franny said you could say something like that...

—I suppose you are going to attack us now, aren't you?

—Yes, I'm sorry. I'll try not to hit you directly. If we recover you in more or less one piece, Franny can fix you. Or would you rather me destroy you right now?

—Whichever way it is fine by me, but can I ask you something before? If I were to tell you I could fulfill your wish if you ally with us, would you believe me?

—Of course, you would never play with something like that. And you are a powerful mage, so if you say it, I'm sure you could fulfill such promise.

—But even If I were to tell you that... you would still rather keep the grail war going on?

—Yes. I have a duty to fulfill, that comes before any of my own interests.

—I expected that, so I wouldn't ask. Very well, let's the fight begin.

Rider gave a signal, and all the Lunarians above their sunspots aimed their bows toward us. We were still unable to move, and we all knew Caster was unable to use her magic, so we were about to be massacred unless a miracle happened.

And it did happen, I found myself able to move. I was able to cast a three layered Rho Aias above us just in time to stop the rain of arrows. Everyone else was also able to move, and those who had their weapons prepared for the battle. Rider looked confused.

—H-how? —was the only thing she was able to muster.

—I'm unable to use my magic, that's true —Caster said, raising her staff—, but I never said I was unable to use my Noble Phantasm. It's still just a shade of its former glory, but I was able to remove the curse I placed upon you so long ago.

—You are... —Rider's expression turned into anger for a moment, she almost seemed like another person, but she shook her head and went back to her aloof smile— I guess I'll have to do things the hard way, my goddess —she added, before the big Lunarian threw her into the sky—, come forth, Golden Wild Hunt!

I heard the sound of a gunshot, and from out of nowhere, her ship appeared among the Lunarian's Sunspots, and stayed floating on the sky. To make things worse, two slightly smaller ships materialized after the first one, and the three of them aimed their cannons against us.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

250K 3.3K 96
(this is a fate fan fic) Shirou emiya the master of the Saber class servant from the fifth holy grail war and the winner of the holy grail usually th...
343 42 12
Mainu, a young mage with a thing about dirt, is pulled away from his bland, academic life by Hesykhia, a Master Fate, and meets a vivacious princess...
3.5K 69 29
(Warning: Slow/Inconsistent Updates.) Set 18 years after the events of Fate/stay night, another holy grail war is set to commence in another city, th...
730 8 14
You'd been born with the abilities to summon and control multiple servants in a great holy grail war just like this one...but what after? Were you tr...