The Highest Bidder

By writerbrittanyb

(18+) *Completed* Kidnappings were things only seen on television, and definitely not something anyone would... More

❊ Cᴏᴘʏʀɪɢʜᴛ / Nᴏᴛᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tᴡᴏ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tʜʀᴇᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fᴏᴜʀ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fɪᴠᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Sɪx ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Sᴇᴠᴇɴ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Eɪɢʜᴛ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Nɪɴᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tᴇɴ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Eʟᴇᴠᴇɴ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tʜɪʀᴛᴇᴇɴ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fᴏᴜʀᴛᴇᴇɴ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fɪғᴛᴇᴇɴ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Sɪxᴛᴇᴇɴ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Sᴇᴠᴇɴᴛᴇᴇɴ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Eɪɢʜᴛᴇᴇɴ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Nɪɴᴇᴛᴇᴇɴ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tᴡᴇɴᴛʏ﹣Oɴᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tᴡᴇɴᴛʏ﹣Tᴡᴏ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tᴡᴇɴᴛʏ﹣Tʜʀᴇᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tᴡᴇɴᴛʏ﹣Fᴏᴜʀ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tᴡᴇɴᴛʏ﹣Fɪᴠᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tᴡᴇɴᴛʏ﹣Sɪx ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tᴡᴇɴᴛʏ﹣Sᴇᴠᴇɴ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tᴡᴇɴᴛʏ﹣Eɪɢʜᴛ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tᴡᴇɴᴛʏ﹣Nɪɴᴇ ❊
❊Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tʜɪʀᴛʏ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tʜɪʀᴛʏ﹣Oɴᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tʜɪʀᴛʏ﹣Tᴡᴏ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tʜɪʀᴛʏ﹣Tʜʀᴇᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tʜɪʀᴛʏ﹣Fᴏᴜʀ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tʜɪʀᴛʏ﹣Fɪᴠᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tʜɪʀᴛʏ﹣Sɪx ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tʜɪʀᴛʏ﹣Sᴇᴠᴇɴ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tʜɪʀᴛʏ﹣Eɪɢʜᴛ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tʜɪʀᴛʏ﹣Nɪɴᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fᴏʀᴛʏ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fᴏʀᴛʏ﹣Oɴᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fᴏʀᴛʏ﹣Tᴡᴏ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fᴏʀᴛʏ﹣Tʜʀᴇᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fᴏʀᴛʏ﹣Fᴏᴜʀ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fᴏʀᴛʏ﹣Fɪᴠᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fᴏʀᴛʏ﹣Sɪx ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fᴏʀᴛʏ﹣Sᴇᴠᴇɴ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fᴏʀᴛʏ﹣Eɪɢʜᴛ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fᴏʀᴛʏ﹣Nɪɴᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fɪғᴛʏ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fɪғᴛʏ﹣Oɴᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fɪғᴛʏ﹣Tᴡᴏ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fɪғᴛʏ﹣Tʜʀᴇᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fɪғᴛʏ﹣Fᴏᴜʀ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fɪғᴛʏ﹣Fɪᴠᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fɪғᴛʏ﹣Sɪx ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fɪғᴛʏ﹣Sᴇᴠᴇɴ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fɪғᴛʏ﹣Eɪɢʜᴛ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fɪғᴛʏ﹣Nɪɴᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Sɪxᴛʏ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Sɪxᴛʏ﹣Oɴᴇ ❊
❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Sɪxᴛʏ﹣Tᴡᴏ ❊
❊ Eᴘɪʟᴏɢᴜᴇ ❊
❊ Christmas Special ❊

❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Oɴᴇ ❊

127K 2.9K 1.2K
By writerbrittanyb

IMPORTANT NOTE: READ BEFORE CONTINUING
(just in case you skipped the copyright/note section)

I've edited parts of this book that don't make sense/have grammar mistakes, and I've added an epilogue. But this is NOT the full publishable edit.  Constructive criticism is still welcome.

SOME OF YOU WILL HATE THE MAIN CHARACTER. I get that, I do. She's a hard ass and sarcastic as hell. But keep in mind, if I see a rude or derogatory comment, it's getting deleted and you'll be muted. I don't have the time or energy to deal with petty, insolent people. If you don't like the book, or my characters, you can move on quietly, without coming at me or my story.

There are parts of this book that have implications of RAPE. Do NOT read if this is a trigger for you. I want readers, but I have other books that are available to read that do not have rape aspects. I do have trigger warnings at the beginning of those chapters, but I do advise you to read at your own risk.

Update 6/3/21 - There are no detailed sex scenes in this book. Just keep that in mind since apparently people get angry if I don't voice that at the beginning 😂
°°°°°

My breathing was labored as I ran through the streets, attempting to push off the chill of the rain drenching my running clothes and weighing me down. I only had a few more blocks until I reached my apartment, and it seemed like the rain was only getting harder the closer I got.

Lightning lit up the sky in the distance and I puffed out an irritated breath. It wasn't supposed to rain until much later. I was just glad that the storm seemed far enough away that it probably wouldn't reach me until I was inside my apartment and getting into dry clothes. The thought of warm, dry clothes forced my feet faster.

I turned and looked behind me - something that I did quite frequently since I had my earphones in while I ran nine times out of ten. I wanted to make sure that there weren't any cars driving my way, unaware of the strawberry blonde taking her normal evening run. I wouldn't have minded so much if there were sidewalks. But alas, there weren't. Therefore I had to run in the streets unless I wanted to run on a treadmill. But nothing beat running outside.

There wasn't anyone or anything behind me, so I turned my attention back to the front. Just in time to run straight into someone.

I fell back onto the concrete with a wince and a grunt when I landed. Electric bolts of pain shot through my tailbone and up my back when I landed, and I immediately tore my earbuds out of my ears, an apology already on my lips.

I looked up. "Shit! I'm so sorry. I wasn't paying attention. Are you okay?"

The man was still standing tall and straight, his honey colored eyes concerned as he looked down at me. He stretched out his hand. "I'm fine. Are you?"

His voice was deep and husky, vibrating the air between us. He had jet black hair, cropped close to his head, and he had to have been, at least, six feet five inches. Even to me, the guy was huge, with the tell-tale signs of muscles beneath his jacket.

I laughed and grabbed his hand in mine. As he pulled me to my feet, I marveled at the fact that his hand enveloped mine completely.

I wiped at my now-wet butt with my hands when I finally got my footing. "I'm fine. I really am sorry."

"You should probably keep one earbud out." He motioned to the offending buds with a long finger, a small curve gracing his full lips.

I shrugged one shoulder. "Usually people move out of my way when I'm running. Well, you know...other than cars. I've almost been hit so many times on this damn road. Can you believe that? People are so rude and..."

I trailed off, realizing that I was rambling. I tended to do that when I got nervous. People never moved out of my way when I went running, hence the reason why I ran at night. There were a hell of a lot less people out when it was darker out. And the ones who were out usually weren't walking around in the streets or loitering around just to people watch.

His lip twitched again. "Are you going to be able to make it home without running someone else over?"

I scowled and had the sudden urge to flip him the bird. But I refrained myself, mentally giving myself a pat on the back for my incredible self-restraint. "I'll be fine. Thanks. And I'm sorry again."

"It's fine," he said as I walked past him to begin running again. The rain had picked up drastically, and I needed to get home before the worst of it hit.

As I took my first step to begin, his hand shot out and wrapped around my wrist. I turned back to look at him, an eyebrow cocked in challenge. I didn't know what he was playing at or what he expected out of me. I already apologized for running into him. That was more than enough in my book.

I clenched my hand into a fist, ignoring a passing car. I probably could have waved for help, but I was already so close to home. If I got a good kick in, bringing him down to his knees, then I could sprint the rest of the way home and call the police when I got back. I chastised myself for not bringing my phone like I usually did, instead swapping it out for my new iPod.

He tilted his head again, that small smile forming. "I'm sorry."

My eyebrows drew together in confusion. "For wha-"

His other hand flew out, a needle in his grasp. I flinched back, but it was too late. The needle dug into my neck and he pushed in the liquid. I stared at him in horror, really wishing that I hadn't stuck around to chit chat when I could have just waved him off and ran home.

Thunder rolled around us as I slowly began to sway on my feet. His hand never once left my wrist as he watched me attempt to stay grounded. I looked around sluggishly, hoping to find someone who happened to be outside. But no one was. It was raining and the storm was rolling in closer. No one in their right mind would be outside.

Except for me.

The car that passed us earlier drove back, slowing when the driver spotted us. I waved - well, tried to wave. I was barely able to raise my hand. But the car stopped and I inwardly sighed in relief.

I turned narrowed eyes on the man with his hand around my wrist, and moved my head too fast. I lost my footing as the rest of my limbs decided to give out from under me.

The man caught me around the waist and I was pulled to his hard chest. My eyes were becoming heavy as I stared up at him. He was looking at the car, his face back to stoic and annoyed. I took the annoyance as a good sign. Maybe the person exiting their car was going to help me.

I slumped completely in his arms and kept my eyes open as long as I could, my head turning to watch as a man in a black three-piece suit, with a black umbrella, walked over to us. I opened my mouth to speak, but he turned narrowed brown eyes on me and I closed it again. I wasn't sure if my voice would come out the way I wanted it to anyway, or if it would have been a garbled mess of letters jumbled together.

He looked at the man holding me as he neared us. "This one?"

"Call it fate," the man with a vice grip around my waist stated blandly. "The bitch ran into me."

"Did you use the tranquilizer?"

"Obviously." He shook me lightly. "She should be out pretty soon."

"Good." The man knelt down to look at me. He seemed to scan my entire body, nodding in some places and humming in others.

My eyes fluttered closed and I forced them back open. If I fell asleep, they'd take me. Awake, I could look for help, even though I knew there wouldn't be any. Although I couldn't see straight and everything was becoming blurry, I still couldn't see movement on the streets.

The last thing I heard was the far away sound of lightning cracking and thunder rumbling around us as I slipped into unconsciousness.

°°°°°

A/N: I've decided to update as I edit. Keep in mind, this is just a slightly more "polished" version. The story hasn't changed. I'm just cleaning it to make more sense. It isn't edited to the point of publication (that won't be put on Wattpad for obvious reasons), so I am still fine with constructive criticism (meaning I still won't stand for petty bullshit lol).

Thank you! And I hope you enjoy the cleaner version of The Highest Bidder.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Submission By korielyn

Mystery / Thriller

3.6M 97.6K 43
Highest ranking #1 as on 4th July 2017 "Tell me you are mine" the cold, sharp, merciless blade tried to force me into submission. Into HIS submission...
105K 3.2K 39
In a ransom deal gone terribly wrong, Florence Blackmore is swept away from her home in the Victorian countryside and made to test her darkest limits...
878K 18.9K 38
He whispered, "Don't make a sound." "How do you expect me to beg and cry for you?" I taunt and attempt to dig my nails in the hand he rested in front...
473K 10.3K 31
Original copy of Vampires Slave~ now known as Loving Unexpectedly WARNING GIRLxGIRL Originally started on QUOTEV. My draft/old version of "Loving Une...