A Court of Secrets and Shadows

By _____Amour____

When Azriel was born, he was born with a twin. More

Characters
Playlist
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Seventeen

1.9K 77 4
By _____Amour____

Nyx was further in her own head than she usually was during this time. Then again this day never quite gets easier.

She headed into the forest that surrounded Velaris. The large trees looming over her head, her pure white dress swishing gently around her ankles her feet bare, the birds that hadn't stopped greeting her since she entered. Everything was too much to pay attention too but her years of training never left her even if she wanted it to.

After a while of walking she came to the place that made her venture into the woods.

A large tree that sat on the bank of a small river that cut through the forest. Nyx took a seat on one of the trees roots. Running her hands over the moss that grew around her. She relaxed and leaned back closing her eyes.

For a moment Nyx lingered in the darkness, even after all these years the dark was the only thing that could truly sooth her nerves. She was one with it, a beast that was more comfortable in the shadows than the light.

Her shadows wrapped around the clearing, drowning her senses in blackness, and away from any prying eyes. She knew no one followed her, even her twin knew to leave her be during this day but she could only do this if she was certain she had no watchers. After all if another Fae saw what she was about to do her head would be on a spike.

Reopening her eyes her hazel eyes already adjusted to the darkness surrounding her. She took the bag off of her shoulder and took out the items she would need. Water from the highest point on earth, Mt Eleve, a dagger made of ash wood and soaked in the blood of a lamb, 5 black crystals and 5 white candles. She lastly pulled Rheas ring from her own finger where it stayed linked with her own.

Nyx gripped the knife tightly and started to get to work. She could do it from memory now, drawing a large circle in the dirt beneath her feet and continuing to draw the correct symbols in the middle of it.

Once the pentagram was done properly she placed the crystals inside at the center of each point. The crystals are what she'll run her power through. Next she placed the bowl of water in the center of the star. It had to be the purest of its kind, the place she got it from was a dark cave at the top of a mountain. Outside the cave was frozen but inside it had a small pond that housed the best water Nyx had drank in her life. Then came the candles, around the circle at each of the points, each had its own runes carved into the side. She lit each one starting from the right point then going to the bottom right then up to the left then to the bottom left one and finally the candle at the top point.

She sat back on her heels and shivered as she picked back up Rheas ring and dropped in the water. Next was the knife she had placed next to her and sliced open her hand quickly. She let her blood drop into the crystal clear water and it stain the water red. She cleared her throat and started to chant.

Exite de somno surgere

Riser tuos visitabis

Te uita non

Exite resurgere

Egredimini de somno surgere

Lucem riser et deliciis affluentes in conviviis vestris et salutabitis vitae

Non te vita.

She repeated the chant twice placing her hands on the forest floor and focused all of her power into the ground. The flames of the candles grew quickly and the stones surged with a dark light. In the bowl, Rheas ring shined through the red muddy water making small waves in the bowl. Nyx closed her eyes once more and shouted

"Resurgemus."

The bowl exploded, her crystals shattered, the candles went out in a billow of smoke and when she opened her eyes they locked with a deep purple ones.

Nyx rose quickly and Rhea fell into her. Her body was not ghostly like some might imagine from a summoning. But she perfected the spell over the years. And now she had her mate in her arms, felt the warmth of her breath from where her head was rested in the cook of Nyx's neck. In all reality Rhea was alive. For now at least.

Like every year they spent the first hour just in each other's arms. Neither female said a word as Nyx wrapped her large wings around the other. Even her sent was the same, lilac and gooseberry.

Rhea pulled her head out of Nyx's neck and looked at her. "My love." She whispered pressing a kiss to Nyx's mouth.

She even tasted the same. A lone tear leaked from her eyes which Rhea wiped away with a sad smile. "None of that today, my love." Rhea spoke lowly but sweetly

Nyx breathed out the breath she was holding onto, her senses coming back to her. "My love, my heart, my life. I've missed you greatly." Nyx replied her arms still wrapped tightly around her loves waist.

Rhea smiled brightly and placed another kiss to her mates lips. "As I have missed you."

Rhea ran her hands through Nyx's inky black hair. Her hands going up to her cheek as she traced one of Nyx's newer scars that cut across her brow.

"It's from Cassian." Nyx told the purple eyed beauty. Cassian had gotten a good lick in during a sparing match that had left them both bloodied but content.

"The brute still doesn't know his own strength, does he?" Rhea asked amusement ringing in her voice.

Nyx smiled fondly. "No he won't. He still underestimates himself. Rhysand is hardly better my love. Your brother found his way back home with a pretty female on his arm that I'm almost positive is his mate."

Rhea squealed with delight. "You must tell me everything about her, wait they haven't confirmed it yet? Rhysand is a lot of things but patient is not one. Don't tell me she comes from a royal family." It's traditional for Fae to court before their married especially when of royal blood. But Rhea knows Rhysand would hate to be mated into more royal blood.

"Nothing like that. I don't think she knows." Nyx replied watching Rheas face contort in confusion.

"Is she a dud or something? How is it that she can't feel the mating bond. Even your hard ass could feel ours." Rhea asked Nyx.

Nyx laughed at that but shook her head. "She's no dud. Feyre is just as powerful if not more so than Rhysand. But she has only recently came into her power so she probably feels it but doesn't understand it." Rheas face did not change from her confusion and Nyx sighed and prepared herself to tell the story.

Rhea knew Rhysand was not in Velaris for the last 50 years, since thankfully Rhysands barrier kept in the part of the woods she needed to do her spell. But everything else she spoke of was new.

At the end of the story Rhea just stared at her for a moment her mouth slightly open.

"I knew he was stupid, but father is truly going to have a field day when he hears of this." Rhea said making Nyx burst out laughing. She could pictures Orin's response to it and she almost felt sad that she wouldn't see it. But then again to see him she would be also dead. "You must tell him at once to stop being a bastard and to tell this Feyre of her importance."

"Please, the day I'm able to get common sense through your brothers head is the day that we will never see, my heart."

Rhea laughed freely at that placing another kiss on Nyx's lips.

"You are probably correct." Rhea replied looking to the pentagram. Their time was almost up going on how much the sigil had disappeared. Only the rune in the center remained probably only giving them a few moments longer.

"I need you to listen to me, my love." Rhea told her looking into her eyes and Nyx nodded without hesitation. "The spirit world is in unrest, after the soul of Jurian disappeared, it's been fragile. Each minute I feel more of my soul being pulled on. I fear that Jurian was not the last to be risen." Nyx could only stare in shock at what had just came out of the others lips.

"You believe Hybern would raise you?" Nyx breath became harsh. Jurian had been human and fought against the Hybern in the first war but now was his loyal slave. Nyx's heart clenched in the fear of what Hybern might do to her lover if she is brought back. Who knows how he can manipulate a soul especially with the Cauldron.

"It's what I fear. He always had an obsession with you." Rhea said her hands caressing Nyx's cheek gently.

"You believe he's raising you to get to me?" Nyx questioned. Hybern had expressed his desire to own a shadow singer each time Nyx had met with him. He always looked at her like a toy he couldn't wait to break.

"If it happens you mustn't come for me." Nyx snarled in reply but Rhea just ran a finger down her jaw calming her mate. "I mean it Nyx, he will trick you, he will do anything to own you. He has power unknown to even you."

"I do not care, if your in danger I will come for you. Damn the rest of the court." Nyx spoke harshly and she knew she would if it came to that. She would betray Rhysand, Cassian, Mor and even Azriel if it meant she could have Rhea in her arms longer for a few hours once a year.

Nyx's head whipped to the side a loud smack ringing out loudly through the darkness. "Don't even think that Nyx. I am not worth the death of everyone on this continent and more."

"I do not care Rheanna. If you are in danger and I will raze cities to the ground. I will burn army's to ashes to have you back in my arms." She told her mate firmly. For Rhea she would go to the ends of the earth.

Rheas gaze softened. "You are the most stubborn Fae I have ever had the pleasure to meet." Nyx didn't care. Because for Rhea she would do anything.

"Be at peace, my love. If we are reunited before next year I will come to find you. I promise." Rhea said resting their foreheads togeth and Nyx breathed out once more and then the weight and warmth of Rhea disappeared. One look at the ground showed that their time had run out and Nyx exploded. Her shadows tore apart anything living around her leaving trees to fall in the wake of her anger. She would put the kings head on a pike. That she promised.

Around her the clearing had went from mossy and soft to blackened almost like a fire ripped through the surrounding area only. She stayed there on her knees for a few more moments letting the tears fall from her eyes. With a frustrated scream Nyx calmed herself once more her hands letting go of her fistful of dirt she pulled from the ground. She stood and walked to where the remains of her spell were. She plucked the ring out from where it was surrounded by broken glass and she slipped it back onto her finger. The weight of it gave her the strength to pull herself together, and start to walk back home. The conversation she just had weighing greatly on her mind.

———

Okay I just rush wrote this and I'm kinda in love with it. I had no idea what I would write for this chapter but I hope y'all like it as much as I liked writing it😁

-GH

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.3K 484 18
𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚛𝚒𝚐𝚊𝚗 𝚡 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚊𝚛𝚌𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚘𝚗 𝚜𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚂𝚊𝚖𝚊𝚛𝚊 𝙰𝚛𝚌𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚘𝚗 𝚒𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙰𝚛𝚌𝚑𝚎�...
3.9K 238 7
"𝐏𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐲 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐈 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐨𝐡 𝐆𝐨𝐝, 𝐃𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞, 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 �...
21.9K 756 19
Velaris Archeron was the light in her three older sisters' dim life. When their life is threatened as war approaches, Velaris and her sisters' life w...
230K 7.2K 43
After ACOSF Two years after the king of Hybern fell, two years of peace in Prythian. As the Inner Circle gets their routine, starts living their life...