On the Run

By Polu1998

Nandini murthy is a simple, ambitious girl who dreams of being a top researcher at ISRO. Even though her fam... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Blind Date
Chapter 2: A Lot Can Happen Over A Cosmo
Chapter 3: Violent Tendencies
Chapter 4: Kidnapped?!
Chapter 5: Mommy Dearest
Chapter 6: Bargaining Chip
Chapter 7: Real Intentions
Chapter 9: Morning Blues
Chapter 10: A Helping Hand
Chapter 11: Tête-à-Tête
Chapter 12: Wrong Turn...Right Instincts?
Chapter 13: Refuge
Chapter 14 : Conflicting Emotions
Chapter 15 : Truths and Lies
Chapter 16 : Unexpected Grief
Chapter 17 : Grim Revelations
Chapter 18 : Plotting and Planning
Chapter 19 : New Beginnings
Chapter 20 : That Time of the Month
New Story
Chapter 21 : Stars and Fireflies
Chapter 22 : Shattered
Chapter 23 : Sinking It In?
Chapter 24: Boxing The Pain
Note
Chapter 25 : Fire.
Chapter 26 : Deliberations and Decisions
Chapter 27 : Post-Coital Determination
Chapter 28: The Fox's Lair
New Story
Chapter 29: Open Sesame?
Chapter 30 : The Sins Of The Mother
New Story
Chapter 31 : To The Rescue?
Chapter 32 : Freedom
Epilogue
New Story
New Story
New Story

Chapter 8: Monster or Saviour?

5.6K 582 41
By Polu1998

Bangalore-Goa Highway, 3:45 am.

I was awakened from my slumber by a sudden and sharp jerk. I opened my eyes and had a good look at my surroundings. Wait, a second! Where am I? It seemed to me that I was inside some SUV, but the interiors of the car seemed completely unfamiliar. I looked sideways and spotted Manik. I remembered us dancing together and started blushing like a fool.

Suddenly, all the terrible events that followed came back to me and I started to panic! Aiyappa, why couldn't all of this just be a bad dream? I had officially been kidnapped! And it was due to my own stupidity! Why did I have to mistake Manik for Madhyam? Just because of how handsome he was? Nandini, you behaved exactly like the bimbos you criticize all the time! Chacha-Chachi must be so worried! What am I going to do now?

I looked at his face which displayed a highly bored expression. He sighed and got out of the car and opened the door to my seat. Aiyappa, what does this monster have planned now?

"Come out!" He ordered.

"Why?!" I snapped.

"Listen, it's nearly 4 am. and my patience is wearing thin! So, just do as I say! I'm really hungry and I suppose you have skipped dinner too. So, let's just get something to eat!" He said.

I looked outside the car and saw that he had parked the car in front of a dhaba. My stomach grumbled as I inhaled the inviting aromas of the food. It was so tempting to go out and have a meal, but there was no way I was going to listen to this monster's orders!

"No!! Absolutely not!" I screamed in his face.

He gave me a frustrated look and said "So you've decided?"

"Yes!!" I said in determination.

"Fine, then don't blame me for what I do next!" He said.

"What?!!..."Before I could complete my sentence, he picked me up in his arms and started walking towards the dhaba.

"Manik, put me down! What are you doing? People are going to stare!" I shouted. I kicked and flailed about in his arms. It seemed impossible to get out of his strong grip!

"I'll put you down...but you have to do as I say! And I don't want any trouble! One cry for help, and I won't waste even a second before I tie you up! Understood?" He said giving me a stern look.

"Fine!" I said. Nobody could win an argument against this hulk!

He put me down immediately and we walked over to one of the tables. As soon as we sat down, he picked up the menu card and looked at it with an expression of disapproval.

"What the hell is this? They have only South Indian food-that too only vegetarian!" He said in irritation.

I rolled my eyes. Why wasn't I surprised? Punjabis and their obsession with food! On top of that, a rich brat like him had probably never had a meal in a dhaba before!

"Haan...Mr. Malhotra...Yahaan toh aapko lasagna aur pasta bhi milna chahiye tha,na?" I said, my voice laden with sarcasm. "What did you expect?"

"Just shut up!" He shouted.

I mentally patted myself on the back in approval. I had succeeded in irritating him! Score for Nandini Murthy!

When the waiter came to take our order, my jaw dropped listening to his words.

"One plate Vada, one upma and one masala dosa...and what will you have?" He asked pointing at me.

What? He was going to eat all this by himself? Bhukkad kahin ka!

"One plate idli" I told the waiter.

As soon as the waiter left, Manik stood up and said, "I have to make a call...so I'm going to step outside for a moment! I'll be back in a few minutes. Don't you dare escape or call anyone! I'm absolutely serious about tying you up if you try anything!"

I nodded, indicating that I understood. As soon as I lost sight of him, I immediately sprang into action. I had to make a call somehow to inform Chacha-Chachi where I was! In this entire mess, I had completely forgotten about my purse and phone that I had left behind at the restaurant. I checked my skirt pocket and found a crumpled hundred rupee note and a handkerchief. Aiyappa, thank you! At least I wasn't completely broke! My next objective was to get my hands on a phone. I went to the kitchen and asked one of the cooks if I could borrow his phone. He was nice enough to lend it to me.

I immediately moved out of the kitchen, and walked for another hundred metres or so away from the dhaba. There was no telling what Manik would do if he came to know I was making a call! I couldn't let him spot me!

I dialled Chachi's cellphone number as soon as I could. She picked up within the first two rings itself.

"Hello. Kaun bol raha hain?" She said. I could make out that she was really worried from her voice.

"Hello, Chachi-main Nandini bol rahi hoon!" I replied.

"Nandu!! Tu? Tu theek hain na? The police told us that you were kidnapped! Where are you? Kisne kiya ye sab? ..." She bombarded me with questions.

"Chachi, I'm fine! Nothing's happened to me! I'm really sorry you had to go through all this trouble for me! Listen carefully, Chachi! I don't have much time. I'll be sending you my location on WhatsApp from this number. We are on some highway Chachi! It's probably a few hours from Bangalore. Please check out the location and send a police team immediately!" I said, urgency evident in my voice.

"Don't worry, Nandu! I'll hand it over to the police immediately. We'll find you as soon as we can!" She assured me.

"Thank you Chachi! Aap fikar mat kijiye...I'll be back home very soon. Bye Chachi!" I said.

I immediately sent Chachi my location via WhatsApp. I smirked, pleased with myself. "Manik Malhotra, let's see how you manage to escape this time!" I said to myself.

I turned around and began to walk back to the dhaba when I found myself surrounded by three men. They were fairly well-built, wore dirty clothes and had betel stained teeth. This was not good! I immediately tried to run, but one of the men grabbed me and pinned me against the wall.

I could smell the alcohol on his breath, he was completely drunk!

"Listen, let me go! Or else, I'll scream!!" I shouted as I attempted to get out of his hold. I tried to use my nails to scratch him and defend myself, but they weren't sharp enough to do substantial damage.

"Scream how much ever you want...no help will come!!" The thug that held me said, in a heavy South Indian accent. The other two started laughing as soon as they listened to his words.

The thug then started digging his face into the crook of my neck and his hands were at the zipper of my skirt. I felt absolutely disgusted as he touched me! My stomach was churning and I felt like vomiting.

I gathered whatever strength I had left and screamed "Help! Help!" Tears seemed to be fogging up my vision.

Suddenly, I remembered that Manik would be looking for me! He was my only option now! The only one who could help! I immediately screamed out his name in an attempt to alert him!

"Manik! Help! Manik!!" I shouted.

I continued screaming for about thirty seconds or so, when I finally saw him running towards me.

"Nandini?!" He screamed my name and ran towards where the men had trapped me.

I saw the goons turn around as soon as he came close. However, the man still held me tightly by the waist and covered my mouth, with my back faced to his chest.

When I saw Manik before me, the only thing I could feel was relief! He might have kidnapped me, but something inside me knew that he would come for me if I called him! Deep down...my heart said that Manik wouldn't hurt me even though my brain didn't agree!

I saw his face and for a second I thought I saw a hint of worry. Was he really worried for me? However, it soon disappeared and his trademark smugness was back.

"Help!" I attempted to shout again as the thugs started giggling once more. They probably thought that he had no chance against them since it was three against one...but they hadn't seen what I had at the restaurant! He could take them on and win the fight against them easily if he wanted to! However, he didn't lift a finger to help me! Monster!

"I only help those who make an effort to help themselves!" He finally said, calmly.

What? What did he even mean by that? How could I take on three thugs all on my own? I was getting really angry!

"Come on Nandini! Mujhe toh laga ki tum brave ho! Itne mein hi darr gayi?" He said with a sarcastic look on his face.

My blood boiled with rage. I clenched my fists as I listened to his taunts and struggled to get out of the man's grip.

"Nandini! Don't behave like a coward! Fight back!" He finally shouted in a serious tone.

That did it! I could no longer tolerate his taunts. I mustered up as much strength as I could and kicked the thug holding me in the crotch.

He let go of me and screamed in pain. I promptly attempted to run away from there when I saw one of the thugs raise his hand to hit me. I closed my eyes and recoiled in fear. However, he was unsuccessful in his attempt.

Manik held his hand and punched him in the gut. The man groaned in pain. So now he had decided to help! That was just brilliant!

Next, Manik punched the same man on his face, probably dislocating his jaw. He started beating the man as if he were a punching bag! When the man, finally lost consciousness, Manik shifted his focus to the man who had restrained me. He kicked him once again in the crotch, adding to his troubles. The man fell down and screamed in agony.

By this time, the third man had started running away in fear.

The gang-leader tried to escape, but Manik was too quick. He held him by the collar and dragged him towards me and stopped just one foot away from where I was standing.

"Bahut shauk hain na...to force yourself upon women! Ab kar ke dikha!" He said angrily, punching him yet again. The man started shaking in fear.

"Nandini!" He said. "Hit him! Teach him a lesson!"

What? How could I hit him?

"Nandini, do you want him to repeat his actions?!" Manik asked.

"No! But..." I started to speak but was again cut off by him.

"Then hit him! Show him that women aren't weak! That he should never pull a stunt like this again!" He said, determined to convince me.

I slapped the thug hard in the face. I looked at Manik again and he replied saying-"Again! Harder!"

I punched the man in the face and kept punching him repeatedly, taking out all my frustration and anger on him!

Finally, when my hand grew tired, I stopped. I had never felt so alive and satisfied with myself before! Adrenaline was gushing through my veins and I was ecstatic that I had vented out all my pent up anger on that thug.

Manik finally let him go, and the man ran away immediately.

He looked at me and asked, "Are you okay?" So I was right! He did care!

"Yes I'm fine...Thank..." I was about to thank him but he waved his hand in order to interrupt me yet again.

"There's no need to thank me! After all, when I hand you over to the Singhanias, you should be in one piece! Or else I won't get what I need!" He said.

Why? Why did his words pinch so badly? How could I have thought that the monster actually cared about my wellbeing?

"Aur haan...let me tell you! Learn to be independent! Don't depend on anyone for help! Fight your own battles...you never know who'll betray you!" He said with a sarcastic and humourless chuckle.

With this he started walking away from there gesturing me to follow. Aiyappa why is this man such a paradox? He seemed to respect women enough to help me out, yet he had still kidnapped me! How desperate was he exactly? His words seemed to have a ring of truth to them...had he been betrayed by someone he loved?

Can it be that this monster actually has a heart?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

410K 16.7K 48
Manik and Nandini both belong to different worlds yet are in love with each other. They love too soon and marry but make it their little secret. what...
222K 13.9K 47
What's meant to be will be. Manik Malhotra. Nandini Murthy. Meant to be together? Maybe? Or with someone else? A story that revolves around everyday...
27.3K 2.1K 16
MaNan is back! After a turbulent college life, everyone is chasing their dreams and passions, while dealing with changing relationships. After inves...
93.9K 9.3K 57
#6 in Lifestory out of ~10K stories (June, 2021) When THE Nandini Murthy met Manik F*CKBOI Malhotra, during her undergrad days in New York, it was th...