Mistaken Love (#Wattys2018)

By dearhearty

She didn't mean to love the man who she knew that will never love her back. Shanaya Campbell is working a su... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
ATTENTION!!!
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Last Chapter
Epilogue
Special Chapter
You're MINE

Chapter 36

26.5K 1K 16
By dearhearty

The Issue 

“I can’t understand why I need a gown,  Caius. I am not a doctor to be the main event. A simple one is fine. Besides, I’m just your wife.” I battled with him as we talk about the party tonight.

Honestly, I planned to wear a very simple dress but when he saw the it this morning, he didn’t like it because it’s too plain. But it is actually a good dress and I don’t want to grab some attention later, it’s my husband who definitely deserved all the praise.

“Exactly, you’re my wife so you need to wear a gown.” He argued with me while giving me choices. We are currently in a gown tailoring shop and he insisted that I should get a gown but I keep on telling him that there is no need for me to get a gown. Because I might be too much since I’m just the wife. I would totally dress up glamorously if I’m a doctor. 

“No, I don’t went to wear a gown. Just a simple dress would be fine.” I told him once again before grabbing my clutch bag. Caius already had his own tux but he is not gonna buy one here. So, we drove all the way here just to get a gown.

The owner of this shop is a famous designer so all the evening gowns here looks amazing and expensive. I was searching through the racks and liked a few dresses. The one that caught my interest is the  black satin off shouldered dress, well designed with diamonds. I showed it to Caius and he somehow liked it. 

“That is a newly designed dress, Miss.” The lady that is assisting us said. 

“That’s good. Try it out.” He nods and sat down on the lounge chair as I head inside the dressing room.

I removed my clothes to put on the dress and came out when I’m done. This actually suits me well and very comfortable. It ends above my knee and it hugs my body well. 

When I came out of the curtains, Caius’ eyes dimmed as he glances at me from head to toe. The corner of his lip curled up and stands up to check the dress. He examines me well and nodded. “Not bad...” he commented and the saleslady smiles in agreement.

“So, shall I buy it?” I asked.

“I will buy it.” He insisted then when his eyes landed on my back, it was bare because it was a deep cut behind me. “Are you comfortable on a bare back?”

“Yeah, I can handle it.” I replied, turning to head back to the dressing room.

We finally bought it and since I forcefully sink this opportunity in my scheduled, I need to get back to the office. I already told Miss Cara that I will take the week off because we are going to Maldives tomorrow for a vacation. I’m actually excited for it but I still haven’t prepared my stuff.

Caius knows how to surprise me and I really appreciate it. Who would have thought they he will somehow change after the way he treats me a few months ago. He became sweet and caring and I don’t know what changed it.

That evening came by and I’m glad I’m all dressed up, my hair is already done and so is my makeup. I decided to join Caius at the living room which is I’m sure that he is already waiting for me. And I was right! 

Caius was standing in front of the large mirror as he arranged his tie. His hair looks perfect to his attire and I can’t explain how handsome he is right now. He somehow noticed me at my reflection in the mirror and turns to look at me with fodness.

“Wow.” He grinned, his blue eyes examines my body, admiringly. “You look beautiful.”

“Yeah, really beautiful, Mrs. Bateman.” Claire agreed, with the maids behind her and so is Joseph.

I didn’t noticed that they were here though because I thought it was only me and Caius here. Blood flows to my cheeks for there is something in his eyes that I can’t determine what it is. Like his eyes are sparkling. But then he eyed Claire and the others that caused them to swfitly leave with smiles in his eyes.  Honestly, I’ve never seen the maids act comfortably around Caius before unlike now.

We are now alone and the room somehow looks bigger for the two of us.

“You look handsome.” I sheepishly complimented while rubbing my nape. “I hope this is enough so you could show me your people.”

His eyebrows touched but just laughed it off before pulling me by the waist. “I must not let you go out of my sight tonight, Mrs. Bateman. You might allure all the men in the party.” He touched his nose to my neck as if he was smelling me.

A soft giggle escapes me because it tickles. “Well, they can only look but they cannot touch.”

“Hmmm...I don’t think I am fine with them looking at you as well.” He whispered then smirked sexily. “Let’s go, we must leave now or else, I might rip that dress off.”

I laughed at his childishness acts as he leads me out of the house towards the car where Joseph is waiting for us.

I actually liked it more when we have a driver coming with us in the car so that I can cuddle with Caius at the back. Even just the little things I spend with him makes me happy in someway. I don’t even know if that’s normal. It’s a crazy life but he makes me want to make it crazier.

Arriving at the event hall, there is a like a photoshoot before you entered where the guest should stop and let the photographers take pictures. I heard from Caius that there will be famous doctors around the world who would also attend this party so publishing companies will be here to take some articles and gather some news. Photographers went wild when it was our turn to step in. It seems like Caius is very popular.

“Oh my, it’s the editor in cheif of Fierce & Kisses!” Oh, it seems like someone recognizes me as well. I smiled through the flashing lights from their cameras and Caius is just very composed. He barely smiles but his presence is very overpowering.

They must be surprised to see that a famous surgeon is married to me. I’ve been featured in many news TV because of my position so there might be quite who knows me.

When it is time to enter the event hall, I’m amazed at the decorstions of the place. It is very well designed and it suited well. Looks like they really put an effort for this party.

Caius placed his hand at the small of my back as we head inside. There are already many of doctors who greeted him with amazement. He picked a table first where Prey is and she is talking to also some group of men that looks powerful in the medical history.

“Enrique.” Prey approached us. She looks stunning wearing a very besutiful a red sequenced mermaid cut gown. Her long blonde hair is curled perfectly and that matches her makeup as well.

We are gonna share a table with her along with others but I quicken up my actions so I could sit between them. I don’t like the idea that they will be sitting next to each other.

“So you brought your wife here. Hi, Shanaya.” She placed her cheek on mine like a greeting kiss but of course I know how fake it is. “You look beautiful.” She complimented me. 

“Thanks, you too.” I repliedq.

Caius mingled around first with the others, he doesn’t let me out of his sight so I was by his side. He was behaving professionally too but I’m glad he was able to attend at a social gathering like this. I think he needs this once in a while.

“You have a beautiful wife, Dr. Bateman. I’m sure all of your admirers will be broken hearted knowing that you finally tied yourself with someone.” The man he is talking to said. I believe he called him Dr. Lee.

“Well, she is one of a kind so I made her officially mine already.” He grinned.

I chuckled at his reply. As if they is the real reason why we got married.

“So, what do you do, Shanaya? Are you a model or something?” a female docor asked. 

“I’m the editor in chief of Fierce & Kissess.” I replied, trying to get comfortable with this people. But it’s not a big problem because they are nice. I’m happy that they admire my husband.

“Really? That’s amazing. That’s a very popular magazine.” She commented with awe. Caius continued talking to them while I simply just stand beside him, trying to keep up with their conversation.

“So, how long were you two married?”

“6 months.” Caius replied.

6 months but it still feels like it just happened recently.

“Any plans of having kids?”

I suddenly want to puke.

“Kids?” my tone comes out like they are crazy.

“Yes, kids. You two surely will make good parents because you have been very responsible at your own career. I heard that a baby will make your married life more colourful. Well, just based on experience.”

The hairs in my arms raised at their question, it’s very obvious that we haven’t thought about it yet and the baby issues is not what a comfortable topic for me at the moment.  I felt his hand squeezed me on the waist for an unknown reason. Nothing came out from my mouth.

“We haven’t thought about it yet.” Caius broke the silence. As expected. But he glances down to me with tender in his eyes. “But if one came in unexpectedly, I’m sure it would being us nothing but happiness.”

My eyes widen. Does that he mean he wants a child?

“I envy you. The two of you are so sweet.” One doctor told us with grins.

My breath hitched and couldn’t afford to make eye contact with him. My heart is pounding too fast all of a sudden and my face heated up.

Their conversation continued but my throat becomes dry because of the baby issue. “C-Can I grab something to drink?” I asked Caius.

“I will come with you.” He insisted.

“No, I’m good. You stay here and talk to them.” I told him then starts heading towards the buffet table where drinks are served. I just grabbed one lemon juice and drink it. But in a short distnance, I heard women talking.

“Yes, that’s Enrique’s wife.” At the corner of my eye, I saw Prey talking to a group of women. They are all watching me like I am doing something wrong.

“I thought you and Caius are going well?”

“Yeah, he even lets you call him by his name.”

“I don’t know, she just appeared in the hospital and all of a sudden, they are married.” Prey replied, their eyes still fixed in me. I’m sure that they don’t know I’m hearing them but it’s not my problem if they are too foolish. That Prey is really a two faced bitch.

“Want me to shut them up?”

“Jonny.” I smiled, seeing him approach me. “Hi, you look good.”

Jonny had his hair tousled, nicely while wearing a brown suit and pants with leather black shoes. He looks thinner than the last time I saw him but he looks more manly because of it.

“Caius has a lot of followers.” I murmured, reffering to the minions talking over there. I’m sure they are talking about me right now with another handsome doctor talking to me.

“Well, people looked up to Prey because of her skills...but most of them only likes her because of capabilities on bed.” Jonny stated, truthfully causing me almost to spit out the liquid inside my mouth.

I coughed before turning to him with suspicion. “Don’t tell me you already slept with her, Dr. Thompson.” One of my eyebrow raised.

Jonny laughed at my reaction. “I think I did...but that was a long time ago.”

Jeez, men really don’t have to be picky as long as someone is very willing. Wait, does that mean Prey is very good I’m bed??? Shit, why am I even thinking? I don’t think I need to more about Prey so I’m fine that we don’t like each other.

“Anyways, you two are going on a vacation, right? Your husband made me cover the patients that he is handling in the hospital.” He mentioned.

“Yeah, he is the one who insists it.” I replied, remembering our trip tomorrow in Maldives. I am a little excited about it though.

“A little trivia, Shanaya...this is the very first time Dr. Bateman went on a vacation and asked for my help. I already told you that before, right?” Jonny looks really suprised at my husband’s improvement. “Whatever you are doing, keep it up. That man really deserves a vacation. He is working too hard for nothing before but now he has you.”

I gulped at the kind words he said. “I am very happy when I’m with him.”

“It’s very obvious, Shanaya. I’ve seen you at your worst and you have been improving and became beautiful when you married him...I’m not saying it is about financially improving that helps you with your looks. What I meant is that you became more beautiful because you’re happy with him.” He grinned, playfully pinching my nose. “So, what are you waiting for? Have a baby!”

My eyes widen in surprise. “What the heck?!”

“What’s wrong? Don’t you want to have kids?”

“I don’t think now is good time to think about kids. We are not...ready yet.” I murmured, finishing my lemon juice.

Jonny laughed. “You know, we should hang out sometimes. I missed talking to you.”

“Of course, just come to our house and I would happily cook you some pasta.” I replied. “But I would be more happy if you bring a girl along with you.”

Jonny rolled his eyes. “I would be more happy if I bring my son than a girl”

“Why? Go find a girlfriend. You deserved it anyway.”

“I don’t think I need a girlfriend right now...maybe never.” He murmured, chuckling.

My eyebrows touched. “Don’t tell me you’re...”

Jonny grinned and laughed. “I’m not gay, idiot! “

I laughed with him. “I thought you’re gay!” I even leaned on the small post.

“You two are having fun.” Caius suddenly appeared behind me.

“Hey.” I greeted him with a smile. “I’m just catching up with Jonny here.”

“Hey, man.” Jonny greets him as well and smiled.

Caius just nods his head. “We should go to our seats. You too, Dr. Thompson. There are still vacant chair in our table, you should join us.”

Whoa, this is the first time I saw him being nice to Jonny. He usually ignores him when I’m around.

We head back to our table, now with Jonny there as well. But Caius is too over me the entire night, he had his arm wrapped around me even if we are just sitting next to each other. And that just made me earn more glares from envious women, especially Prey who would turn his head to our direction.

One president of an hospital came to make a short opening speech. Everyone knows him and he seems to be a famous doctor. A few minutes later, Caius and I got surprised when he suddenly mentioned Caius.

“May I have your attention, please.” The man started. “A few months ago, we are very lucky that our hospital has been receiving many recognition from other countries. Ever since Dr. Bateman has became the director of the board of surgeons. He has done many excellent works and we would like to thank you for your hardwork and dedication. Because of you, Samaritan Medical Hospital has been improving and has been declared as one of best hospital in the whole United States. So, me being the representative of the whole hospital, we thank you very much.”

A loud cheer enveloped the entire event area. I also am clapping and playfully hitting his arm but he told me to stop. He hates it when the crowd is looking at him but he needs to endure him a little longer because he is receiving some appreciations.

“I am also very proud to congratulate Dr. Caius Batsman for his continuous success at every surgery that he leads these past few months.” A small spotlight hits Caius and that just made him feel some discomfort. His presence is already powerful so having everyone turned their attention to him just made him divine. His hold was tight around me and I do not understand why he wouldn’t let go. “So, being the most awesome surgeon in the entire country, you will be awarded by a Golden International Outstanding Achievent in your Excellence in Nuero Surgery. A big round of applause for our amazing surgeon, everyone! “

Whoa, that’s awesome! Everyone in the room appoulded and cheered for my husband. I am very proud of him.

“Mrs. Bateman, you must be very proud of your husband.”

I nodded and hugged him on his side. “You are amazing.”

Caius scoffed and rubbed his head. “I’m not comfortable with people appreciating my stuffs like that.” He murmured.

“Oh come on, it is just a way to show you how proud they are to you. Like me. I’m very proud of you, Caius. I have the best husband in the whole world.” I stated, letting my emotions do the talking.

Everyone in the table has been circling Caius to congratulate him but his eyes are just fixed to mine and seems to be processing what I said. And all of a sudden, he pulled me and kissed me right there with everyone looking at us. My eyes widen in shock because this is embarrassing. He had his arm wrapped around my waist tightly and I can’t pull away. What is he doing missing me like this?

Another cheer and teasing remarks broke our kiss causing me to blush like an apple. I hide my face in my hands making Caius to laugh and wrapped me in a tight hug.

This is really embassing.

“The award is not with me here, Dr. Batsman because you will be receiving that award in London together with other famous doctors.” Another announcement added.

My heart is just overwhelmed right now. It is weird, I felt like I was the victory one because of the happiness that I’m feeling for Caius. More annoucement about the hospitals has been announced then the whole celebration continues. I let Caius talk with others while I eat on our table. I want him to socialize with his people since he deserved it. I don’t want to tie him up beside me but I also too tired to talk to those doctors. I don’t even know what they are talking about.

Jonny seems to be somewherre too because I haven’t seen him around since the dinner. Prey... Don’t care where that bitch is. I’m not bored, I’m here to support Caius and that is what I’m still doing. I’m happy that he brought me here because I would like to see this side of him. The side of him where his dedication to his career.

“Hey, are you alright?” speaking, he is right here again to sit with me.

“I’m fine. Don’t worry about me. You should mingle around with everyone. I’m fine here.” I told him with a smile.

“Nah, I’m not really the talkative one so social gatherings like this is not my thing.” He sigh.

“What are your things then?”

“Making you moan underneath me.”

“Caius!!!” I gasped, punching his chest. “You sick man”

He started laughing loudly, too much that his whole body is shaking. “You should have seen your face.” He is fighting not to laugh too hard but he wasn’t successful.

“Haha.” I scoffed, sarcasticall then rolled my eyes. “You liked it anyway if I’m moaning. You can’t even get enough of me.”

Caius choked on his own and started coughing. Clearly, he didn’t expect what I retorted. I just gave myself a high five. I pouted and looked away from him, leaning my head on my palm.

I fidget when I felt a warm harm on my bare shoulder, pulling me closer to his body and hugged me with one arm.

“Jesus, how can I live without you now?” I heard him mutter while pressing his nose on my hair, inhaling my scent.

Blood rushed to my cheeks as I feel his warmth. His comforting heat just makes every cold tinglings inside me to melt. Yes, he has been very sweet to me and talk about the questions of the people in this event. With the baby questions and all.

The pressure of being asked by that is really stressful.

All of a sudden, the lights dimmed. And some colorful highlights on the air starts to spread and a sweet song sang by the live band. And not too long, the atmosphere just became a lover’s nest. Everyone started gathering at the dance floor. Oh God, this is awkward. And I’m sure Caius is not comfortable in those kinds of acts so he won’t surely ask me for it.

(Play the music on the side) 

And I’m just speaking and overthinking too much because hell just freezes over when Caius stood up and offered his hand towards me.

“W-what?”

“Dance with me.” He smiled, genuinely. The lights sparkling at his eyes like stars.

Like I was hypnotized, my hand reached for him and let him lead me at the middle of the dance floor. My heart beats eratically inside my chest. I gulped as he pulled me closer to him, placing one arm around my waist while the other was holding my hand, my other free hand was on his shoulder and just started moving along with him in a slow dance.

Our eyes are glued together as they twinkle. With no words coming out from the both of us and let the song do everything. My tummy is doing some small somersaults at the sensation and the shiverous taste of our unspoken thing.

I find myself singing along the music, Caius didn’t mind so I softly hummed through the lyrics. 

"You know, I'm happy for your achievement. A surgeon is very known and admired because of their dedication and hard work. Then you...wow. You are being recognized by even the highest doctors in the while country. You must be very proud to yourself. We need a celebration."

"Well, good thing that we will be enjoying our four days trip to Maldives tomorrow." He mentioned.

I wrinkled my nose and chuckled. "I kinda missed the whole gang. Phoenix and the others. It has been a long time since we all hang out."

Caius inhales and smiled. A boyish one with a hint of sincerity in it. "You know, never in my life...I see myself celebrating my own victory, just like now. I don't feel anything special when other people congratulate me about it. But with you..." He leaves a few second to think of the right words. "But when you...jeez, you make me want to achieve more. It's like for the very first time, I made someone happy."

"Caius..." I know it is difficult for him to open up like this but he did it anyway so he could show me what he really feels.

"Thank you, Shanaya." He smiled. The one that sparkles because of it's truthfulness. "Thank you for staying by my side."

I couldn't help but smile back. Who can resist this once in a lifetime experience? I hope I will be able to stay by your side forever, Caius. I really wished it. But I don't know why things need to be hard for the both of us. Why can't we just be a normal couple like everyone else? We have been bounded for a reason and I am praying that it will end very well.

“I-I love this song.” I murmured, chuckling shyly at the end. Trying to keep the mood cool as I started to sing softly.

“Yeah? Just keep on singing.” He whispered.

I bit my lower lip but somehow changed the topic. My mind and heart are battling for some unknown feelings that I should really trust Caius or ask him directly about Laureen. Just a honest answer. I just wanted to know coming out from if he really had a relationship with her. “Was it true?”

“What?” he asked quickly, eyes are dazing at me.

But then the words just vanished in my mouth. I couldn’t grow some balls to ask it. “The one you answered to the lady earlier...about having a child...with me?” my voice gets weaker.

His eyebrows slightly furrowed but maintained a very calm face. “Yeah, I meant what I said. Every word.”

I gulped. “So, you really are thinking that we might have a kid.”

“I already told you before, baby. I don’t do things without planning. What makes you think is the reason why I make love to you every night unprotected?” His mouth comes closer but he only leaned his forehead on mine.

My heart thumbs even more. My mind just couldn’t take his answer. “S-so, you want to have our own kid.”

Caius chuckled huskily at my stupid remarks. I kept on repeating the question. “Yes, Shanaya. I want to have a child with you someday.” He dropped the bomb as he placed his lips to mine and kissed me lovingly.

When he parted, he embraced me tightly and kissed me over and over to the point that I do not care anymore that there are people around us.

Oh crap, my heart just couldn’t take that.

Mind blowing.

To be continued...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

866 136 36
When 18 year-old Lexi's past starts to repeat itself she throws herself into her new job in order to save enough money to get away from it. Who knows...
40.6K 1.5K 62
"How ...cc...cca....ccan you !! I..I don't believe these bullshits. Parth ...Parth!!!,I know this this is....this is just a joke, but it's not funny...
3.7M 18K 11
Meet Christina A. Cruz. Single. Simple. Incredibly Beautiful. She's the girl who possesses refined manners and right conduct_ well- disciplined, k...
30.9K 6.3K 66
❝ What you seek is seeking you.❞ ❝ What you seek is seeking you.❞ ❝ What you seek is seeking you.❞ Ruby took his words casually - very casually - an...