Mistaken Love (#Wattys2018)

By dearhearty

She didn't mean to love the man who she knew that will never love her back. Shanaya Campbell is working a su... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
ATTENTION!!!
Chapter 33
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Last Chapter
Epilogue
Special Chapter
You're MINE

Chapter 34

21.9K 915 23
By dearhearty

Breaking 

“Nice work, everyone! Let us call it a day.” I cheered and clapped my hands while walking past my employees. I just badly want to go home right now to my husband. Everything went cool this day besides the part when Gale came marching inside my office.

Caius hasn’t replied to my texts and didn’t answer my calls and it has gotten me a little worried. Maybe he’s just sleeping?

I was heading outside where Joseph is probably waiting for me when a hand suddenly pulled me back causing me to bump on a hard body. “The heck! Gale, don’t touch me.” I quickly pushed him away from me. 

“I told you earlier,  we are going to talk so get in my car.”

“No fucking way...just having you around me makes me sick even  worse when talking to you.” I snorted, rolling my eyes then crossed my arms then sigh deeply. “Gale,  please...I’m begging you.  Leave me alone. I don’t want to talk to you anymore and I never want to see you again.” I tried making my sound strong.

Gale pierced his eyes straight to mine using that calm looking face. “I will not come nagging you here if my intentions aren’t good. You have to learn something about that husband of yours.”

“Why do you care? Our problem is none of your business so don’t put your nose in my life again.” My voice was deep,  trying to make each word get inside his mind. 

“I care,  Shanaya! Yes,  I used you but we have been together for years.  I know you more than anyone and belihe it or not, I still care for you. So, I don’t want you ending up with that son of bitch!”

Good thing that they aren’t that much people in here because we would totally make a scene in here. But my anger is really getting in me. I am doing everything I can to stay calm and try to block all of the things he is saying but this is the very first time that Gale won't stop just to make me come with him. He badly wants to turn me against my hudbsnd, that is what he is trying to do. 

"You cared for me?" Bitterness was obvious in my tone. "You never cared for me, Gale. So stop bugging me already. Your fiance is in the same building as I am and I don't want to cause any more problems with the two of you."

Gale massaged his temples. "Fine, if you want me to leave you alone then I will but just this once...come with me." His voice became gentle all of a sudden. 

"No, I am not coming with you. I will go home early today because I want to see my husband and now you are just gonna make me waste it."

"Just ten minutes...all I need is ten minutes of your time." He battles on, blocking my way.

Shit,  he is making this so hard for me. I gulped and looked at him deeply, trying to test if he is just using this as a chance to take me back. But seriousness was really the only thing in his eyes. "Just this once, Shanaya then I will leave you alone if that's what you want."

I groaned and bit my lower lip, tensionally. "Fine but please...not in your apartment. Let us just talk somewhere else that is more public. I can't stand being alone with you."

Gale finally sigh in relief. "Okay, I know a place where we can talk." He was about to head in front but I stopped him. 

"Let's go this way." I pointed out the opposite side at the back. "I don't want my driver to see me leaving with you."

"Okay." He just nodded and we walked towards the back of the building which is another way out. 

I tried making a huge distance between us when we are walking. I just don't feel comfortable with him standing next to me. It is not comfortable for me to be with Gale but if this is the way that he will leave me alone then so be it.

Gale picked out a cafe shop not too far. I just wished that Laureen didn't see us coming here or else she might attack me again tomorrow. We used a table at the corner where no one can hear our conversation. He bought a hot cup of coffee as we came in. I let him because I know that he has an addiction to caffeine.

I sat down and didn't order anything. I just want  to go home so badly. Biting my lower lip, no one bothers to talk yet.

"I didn't come here so I could watch you drink your coffee, Gale. 10 minutes is up yet you barely talk at all." I blurted, furrowing  my brows. "If you aren't gonna say anything then I will leave —"

"Fine, I want you to see this." Gale reached out to his briefcase to open it, bringing out a picture. He handed it to me, making me more confused.

Its a photo of an ultrasound of a baby. My head tilted in confusion. "What's this?"

"That's Laureen's."

My eyes widen in shock. Wait, Laureen is pregnant? Yes, it is shocking but I don't get what this is for. "Why are you showing this to me? I don't think I still need to know that you two made a baby."

"I found that in her place, stocked between her magazine. I went to contact the doctor and she confirmed that Laureen is pregnant."

"When was this? She doesn't have any plan to tell you?"

"The baby is not mine."

Oh...I am speechless but I do not even know why he still needs to tell me this!

"It has nothing to do with me, so...? I don't get you." I asked, puzzled. 

"We never had an unprotected sex."

Seriously? I don't need to hear this shit from him. I'm out of this topic. 

"Let me get this straight with you,  Gale...that moment that you two cheated on me, I do not have any more concerns to the both of you. It is totally not my business anymore if she cheated on you too. You deserved it! Is that what you wanted me to say?"

Gale  hitched a breath and rubbed his head.

"So, stop this, Gale. This conversation is going nowhere, okay?" I pointed out, sliding my bag back on my shoulder. "So, you don't mind...my husband needs me. Bye."

"You must know that Caius and Laureen had a relationship."

I suddenly froze from stepping away. I quickly turn back to him over my shoulders.  My heartbeat raced, this is just what I have feared. So, my worries are true? That Caius is hiding something from me,  the same reason why he doesn't like it when I ask him about Laureen.

"I bet you didn't." Gale scoffed, arrogantly then smirked.

"So what?" I narrowed my eyes at him. "Laureen being pregnant has nothing to do with me."

"Nothing to do with you?" The corner of his lips lifted, challengingly. "But it has something to do with your precious husband."

The wrinkle between my eyebrows gets deeper, quizically. "What are you trying to imply, Gale? Get to the point."

"The point is...there is a huge possibility that it's your husband's child."

The word just freezes around me upon hearing that, like a pile of bricks was dropped on top of me, crushing me completely. My heart pounds as well as my hears thumbs along with it.

"No, you are just trying to turn me against him. Caius would never do that to me." I continued to defend my husband, fighting not to cry. "You wont succeed in this, Gale."

"Your choice, Shanaya." He replied, sipping his coffee before eyeing me. "Stop protecting your asshole of a husband. Divorce him, he's not worth it. You don't need to be with him and stay just for revenge —"

"And what?" I cutted him, my eyes filler with coldness as well as my tone. "Compare to him, you're worse than an asshole, Gale. Don't tell me, you are gonna use those lines so I could trust you again?" Venom was spitting out of my mouth  "Tsk, you're no different." I spat before walking out of the shop. 

"You are not using your head, Shanaya. You and I are at the same page right now and all you have to do is trust me and talk to me."

Once I stepped outside, my knees weakens and I just drop down to the ground right there. I didn't bother looking back to him as I march out.

This is not the right place to cry, Shanaya.  You don't need to cry in the first place. I trust my husband, there is no way that I could do that. All he does is go to work, then be with me.  He made of sure of that by looking straightly in my eyes and show me how much he cares.

I walk back to meet Joseph at the building. My mind is not in its proper function, its blank and I don't know what to think. I shouldn't let Gale get to me like that, he might be using me again so I could go back to him or whatever his plans are but I will not be his victim again.

The only need to do is trust Caius and he can't lie to me. He won't cheat me like what they did.

He is not like Gale.

He is nothing like Gale.

"Mrs. Bateman, we are here." I didn't even noticed that we already arrived home. 

"Oh thanks a lot, Joseph. You should take a rest now too." I told him then gets out of my car.

"Welcome back, Mrs. Bateman." The maids greeted and I just smiled at them, weekly. Claire asked me if I wished to eat because she said, she made dinner.

"Maybe later, Claire. Did Caius eaten already?" I asked, taking off the coat that I wore before giving it to the laundry maid.

"Not yet, he is still inside your room."

I quickly marched towards the bedroom, closing the door and the lights are out, only the lamp on our bedside table was on. On top of our bed lies my husband. He was sleeping on his stomach and he is seems to have changed his top as well.

But just the sight of him, a soft hand seems to touched my heart. It was tender and comforting, I just want to be in his arms. Without thinking anymore, I removed my bag from me before joining Caius on the bed, my arms wrapping around his broad shoulders and I just rest assured on his back. I don't care if he is sick, I just want to feel his warmth. My head rest on his nape and my eyes closed tightly.

Its like my worrieness were taken away from me.

I felt his move slightly, probably feeling me. "Baby?"

"Hi, sorry. I just..." I wasn't able to finish my words because he twisted so he could face me, as I slide down to the bed. He faced me with droopy eyes and he looks so cute. He wraps his arms around me and pulled me close. He doesn't feel hot anymore so I hope his fever has gone.

Caius tightly pulled me to his chest, my one hand resting on his chest while his hand holding mine. Like he is making me feel his heartbeat racing. 

"Caius...?"

"Stay like this for a while."

Just those words, all of the walls that I built to stop myself from breaking down was brought down with just those tender words.

He is half asleep.

His chest raises up and down as he breathe. I don't know if he knows what he is doing but I think this is the proper time for me to say this but I needed to get this out. 

"I love you." I whispered so quietly, hoping that only I can hear it. 

No response. Of course, he's sleeping.

To be continued...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.9K 6.3K 66
❝ What you seek is seeking you.❞ ❝ What you seek is seeking you.❞ ❝ What you seek is seeking you.❞ Ruby took his words casually - very casually - an...
295K 13.1K 52
This is the sequel of the story, "Slave of a Billionaire". This story is about the life of Ronnie's and Caitlin's daughter Susan. Susan is in college...
5K 86 37
" "Just think about it." He said. How could I not think about it? It kept me up all night; I tossed and turned thinking about what he said: friends w...