ELDRITCH NIGHT (Rough Draft)

De hammbody

Eldritch horrors descend from the sky to consume the world. Only a last-minute intervention by a mysterious H... Mais

Chapter One: Day Breaks, and Night Falls
Chapter Two: At Night Crept
Chapter Three: A Widow Fled
Chapter Four: From Looming Monarch's Dread
Chapter Five: Debrief
Chapter Six: Mind and Body
Chapter Seven: Daybreak
Chapter Eight: New Growth
Chapter Nine: Sticks and Stones
Chapter Ten: Of Class and Men
Chapter Eleven: All Aboard
Chapter Twelve: Shore Leave
Chapter Thirteen: Words of Blessing
Chapter Fourteen: Homecoming
Chapter Fifteen: Revelations
Chapter Sixteen: Night Turns to Day
Chapter Seventeen: Pickman's Daughter
Chapter Eighteen: The Band Sets Outs
Chapter Nineteen: Conflict on the Bridge
Chapter 20: Song of Battle
Chapter 21: Dark Revelations
Chapter 22: Truth from Madness
Chapter 23: Banter and Bombs
Chapter 24: Aftermath
Chapter 25: Smoke on the Water
Chapter 26: So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Chapter 27: One of Many
Chapter 28: Descent
Chapter 29: Trapped
Chapter 30: The Fisher Man and the Sea
Chapter 31: Into the Fore
Chapter 32: Flowers of Change
Chapter 33: Out of the Breach
Chapter 34: Isolation
Chapter 35: Questions
Chapter 36: The Fruits of Despair
Chapter 37: Fuel on the Fire
Chapter 38: Family Ties
Chapter 39: Eye of the Storm
Chapter 40: Chains that Bind
Chapter 41: Fruits of the Earth
Chapter 42: Sky Meets Earth
Chapter 43: Kiting with Behemoths
Chapter 44: A Pound of Flesh
Chapter 45: Growth
Chapter 46: Volatile Responses
Chapter 47: Overt Operations
Chapter 48: Pearls of Thought
Chapter 49: Charge of the Dark Brigade
Chapter 50: Ave Maria
Chapter 51: Leveling Earth and Sky
Chapter 52: Apotheosis Horizon (1/2)
Chapter 52: Apotheosis Horizon (2/2)
Chapter 53: Fingers of the Dead
Chapter 54: Our Lady, Who Art in Hell
Chapter 56: Hubris, Slayer of Gods
Chapter 57: Dreamscape
End of Book Update and Acknowledgements
Epilogue

Chapter 55: Darkness Before Dawn

166 15 0
De hammbody

The being that shared half its face with one of my oldest and dearest friends continued to descend, her feet finding purchase on empty air. Her wings slowly shrank and folded behind her like a feathery, mismatched cape. Apparently, they were not needed to maintain flight. Liv always had been one for dramatics.

"... But how?" I stammered.

I was horrified at the implications of her appearance, but a large part of me was relieved to see her alive. Could she finally explain what was happening? God, did she know about Troy? Did she know what he had become, and what I had done? These thoughts crashed through my head, silencing questions of much graver import.

"Hold on, Finn," she said. Her voice was soft and seductive, with no trace of the vileness that invaded her flesh. "Our reunion can wait. We have other friends coming over to play. It would be rude not to invite them in."

She extended the broken, charred flesh that was her right hand and closed her claw-like fingers into a fist. I followed her gaze to the second Peacekeeper transport, which was charging up another mound of bone. Just as the transport reached the apex, it's front two tires beginning to gain air, the mound exploded.

"Fuck, Liv," I screamed. "Please, you don't have to do this. You know I'm not your enemy."

"Oh, don't be such a spoilsport," she waved her hand dismissively. "Your new toys are fine, see?"

Broken bits of bone were still raining down around us, but when I looked back to the destroyed mound I found another of the giant bonetacles reaching into the sky. It wrapped around the Peacekeeper vehicle, swallowing it into a mass of bone. Slowly, the giant limb began to move towards me – bringing the transport with it.

"Liv, I don't know what..."

"You don't need to say anything, Finn." She continued her descent until she was standing before me on an invisible plane of air. "It's enough that you stand with me."

"I don't... but stand with you against what?"

"Against the world, Finn. Everyone and everything." She reached out and cupped my cheek with her unmarred hand. I placed my inhuman hand over her pale flesh, leaning into her embrace.

"This entire fucking universe would see us slaves, homogenous drones, to serve a broken system. A system that has invaded even you. We are more, don't you see? We can be gods, Finn. It's our birthright, given to us by the Founder, his greatness knows no bounds."

Behind me I heard a crash and the groan of bending steel. My eyes stayed firmly locked on Liv's. There was a strange beauty to the sharp contrast of her new form, a fierceness mixed with the pureness of her former self. The vortex of her empty socket drew me in, even as an eye of beautiful sapphire-blue promised me warmth and love.

"And you would what?" I asked. "Tear down the system, and kill thousands — just for power? I can't support that Liv. Don't you know what your ambition did to Troy?"

"Troy?"

Earsplitting laughter echoed through the bone-lined hills and canyons. It was an inhuman screech, like the mocking call of a stalking predator.

"Troy was never one of us. Just a disposable tool, though it is unfortunate you had to kill my serpent. He would have been so much fun." She sighed in annoyance, a blackened hand coming to rest on her hip.

"But then, who am I to deny my former paramour his jealousy." She pulled her fingers across my cheek until they came to rest below my mouth. "I do hope you enjoyed the feel of his flesh coming apart in your hands. The power you hold, Finn! Isn't it intoxicating?"

I pulled back, pushing away her hand. I found her strength to be unmovable, but she slowly drew her fingers back. Her jaw set, jutting forward slightly, and she crossed her arms over her chest. I'd seen the same expression on her face countless times, often right before she began to pout.

"I don't want this power, Liv. You think I wanted to kill him? Troy was my best friend! Your husband, once..."

She exploded into motion, and before I could register what was happening a single hand was wrapped around my throat. She slowly raised me above her head. "Troy was nothing, Finn! It was always you – we were to rule together, until..."

She dropped me into a ball on the ground, my hands grasping at my throat as I desperately sought to breath. Liv crouched down, cradling my head in her arms. During the confusion I lost track of Catayla's unconsious form, leaving her to slide unseen into a bed of bones - slowly buried alive.

"But I had you, didn't I?" Her smile twisted into a grin as she began to stroke my hair. "That small piece of you, I carried it. I nurtured it. You must have known. Didn't it kill you to see another man claim your daughter as his own? You should have fought! You watched her grow, and never knew her true importance."

"Import..." I tried to speak, each syllable was like gargling with acid. "Why didn't you tell me? Cat... was mine?"

I sat up, ignoring the pain in my lungs. Her powerful hands made no motion to stop me, and she chose to stand. She twirled in a graceful circle and bent over, bringing her face within inches of my own. I could smell her, it was like burnt flowers and freshly spilled blood.

I met her gaze, both of us unspeaking for long seconds. I grabbed her by the throat, and jumped to my feet in a single, powerful motion. Liv's smile only widened.

"What the fuck happened to her, Liv? Where the hell is my daughter?" I screamed. I attempted to move her, to squeeze her throat into paste; but it was like fighting a rock wall.

"Hel," she laughed. "Happened to her. It's your father you should blame – you were to be a king among gods. He burned the Mantle, cleansed his blood in fire. He stole your birthright and he perished for it."

She slapped away my hand, shattering the bones in my wrist. "But the foolish son of a bitch didn't know he had another heir. We always knew his misgivings. My mother spent hundreds of years trying to capture his seed. In the end, the task fell to me."

I held my shattered hand and looked at her in horror. I was done speaking, I had no idea what to say. The Liv I knew was dead, or perhaps had never existed at all.

"You could say," she said sweetly. "That this beautiful new world began the moment our lovemaking ended. What greater creation could a parent hope for?"

She approached me, twinning her fingers behind my neck. I made no attempt to stop her as she slowly pressed her lips to mine. She tasted of ash and spoiled meat. When she pulled away she let out a soft moan of pleasure.

"I've missed you, Finn. I never expected to develop such fondness for you, yet here we are." She gave a half grin and began to twirl her hair with one finger. "I'm just a goddess, standing in front of a boy..."

I plunged my right arm into her stomach. Each finger lengthened into jagged blades, twirling as they tore through flesh. "You killed her!"

My face contorted in pain, an anguish I never knew existed. I stabbed her repeatedly, each time my hand coming away with thick chunks of flesh as blood stained the ground. "You fucking bitch. I will end you!"

A kick sent me flying, half burying me in fine, white powder. I stood, brushing the dust from my eyes and jacket. My legs felt rubbery, and I swayed as I walked back towards the self-proclaimed goddess. I would kill her, even if it killed me.

"You wound me, Finn." She said, jutting out her lower lip slightly. "I mean, not really. More...metaphorically."

My right arm had lost all feeling, and as I looked down I found it had become a shapeless clump. I had lost control of the energy that formed the limb, and it was beginning to droop like melting wax. Liv's midsection was a hole full of blood and ash but was already beginning to mend.

"You don't know what you could have been, what it means to be a God! I'd kill a thousand daughters to feel this. Mine, yours, I don't care." Her face contorted into a savage snarl before gentling. She walked forward and reached out to caress my cheek once more.

"You should know, before I kill you," she said while placing a finger under my chin. She lifted my face until our eyes met.

"In the end, I couldn't do it." She shook her head and turned, looking over the fields of death she had created. "I felt some... sentimentality. It was Troy who slit her throat, spilled her blood upon the altar. She looked up at him afterwards. Her last sight was of her murderer, the only father she ever knew. I could see the pleading in her eyes as they slowly darkened. It killed me too, Finn. She never knew why she had to die."

"You're a monster, Liv," I no longer had the energy to shout or lash out. I faced her eye-to-eye, refusing to back down. "I will kill you."

"Oh, Finn. My little Gussy Gus, you won't be killing anyone." She stretched out her black hand, ash falling from it in gentle wisps. A golden spear began to form in her closed fist. "You will watch me kill your friends, and then you will beg me to spare you as I carve out your heart as an offering to the Founder, may he rule again!"

Hands made of bone reached up from below. I struggled to free myself as they slowly pulled me beneath the surface, leaving only my head uncovered. I had a perfect view of the shattered and smashed transport. Sebbit and several of his subordinates had slowly crawled from the wreckage and were lying around it, propped up against debris – rifles trained forward.

Liv laughed as bullets landed futilely around her. Sebbit held an impractically large revolver that fired grenades, but every shot exploded several feet before reaching the goddess. Her wings unfurled behind her and she rose into the sky, pillars of purple light filtering between the gaps in her feathers.

I couldn't move my body, but I was not entirely powerless. As golden spears began to rain over the injured Peacekeepers I created a shimmering red dome to shield them. The spears broke by the dozens, each time creating long, winding cracks in my barrier. I filled the weaknesses as quickly as possible, but the barrage continued, and the mental fatigue was beginning to slow my reactions.

I bought Sebbit and his women a few final moments, but eventually my shield broke under the relentless onslaught. Black armor was rent by golden spear, and flesh was torn and perforated. Screams filled the air as soldiers died under that misty sky.

A weak, gurgling laugh pulled me from my remorse. Sebbit was still alive, though multiple spears pinned him to the ground. He pulled one from his leg and tossed it aside. The ones piercing his stomach and shoulder remained.

"May I request some final words?" Sebbit's usually reserved voice rang out with power and conviction. Hope filled me, and I used the distraction to begin working my arm free of its restraints.

"The goddess Hel will grant your request," her voice was deep and resounding, as if it came from the heavens themselves. "Give me your final words and I shall carry them into the halls of Valhala."

"That will not be necessary, but thank you," the captain's voice was beginning to waiver. "I just wanted to express my gratitude at having served my queen, the Resplendent Wave, for over a hundred cycles. May she someday know peace."

Sebbit coughed, blood flowing over his chin. He paused to pull a white cloth from a small chest pocket, dabbing carefully at the corners of his mouth.

"Is that all?" Hel boomed.

"Not quite, thank you." Sebbit dropped the cloth to the ground, his administration having done nothing to lessen the blood that covered his face. "I also wanted to thank Mr. Finn for buying my people the time they needed. He will know glory in his time, but yours is up."

A golden spear pierced the heart of Captain Sebbit'Task Orvillio Xern. As he took his final breath, a golden sun rose in the east.

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

Silvertroll De Bill Kandiliotis

Mistério / Suspense

839 66 52
As a grieving parent, Nathan [The Caveman] Caves struggles to come to terms with his son Julian's death, his son's online legacy, and a malicious int...
49 1 33
Evander, a young boy who was supposedly kicked out of his tribe and raised by flying snake-tailed lions basically his entire life, finds out that he...
3 0 3
Suddenly appearing on the global market, a high-tech company displaces tech giants and presents a communicator with stunning capabilities. A year lat...
4 0 9
We follow the compelling journey of Valenus, a person burdened by the weight of personal challenges, most notably the illness of their father. At hom...