The Ivory Knight

Bởi quothe

Adeleina of Corandell might be a girl and the heir to the throne, but that doesn't mean she can't swing a swo... Xem Thêm

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23 part i
Chapter 23 part ii
Chapter 24 part i
Chapter 24 part ii
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28 part i

Chapter 3

8.6K 395 103
Bởi quothe

Adeleina skulked about the brightly lit ballroom, pretending to examine the opulent decorations being hung up in her honor. Her father had insisted that she should oversee the bedecking of her own betrothal ball, and here she was. 

It wasn't as though the decor was not to her liking; in fact, she simply reveled in the fluttering banners bearing the royal-blue and silver markings of her kingdom, in the intriguing, glittering glass of the multiple candle-lit chandeliers that cast their reflected light about the room, in the polished gleam of the marble floor. A palatial, sweeping staircase led up to a balcony and a second floor that overlooked the first. Even higher than the second floor was the domed ceiling. The ceiling of the ballroom was adorned with silver engravings of flying cherubs and peacefully floating clouds. Below it, fine white cloth adorned with silver linings draped over the numerous round tables that were scattered throughout both floors of the grand ballroom. Six or seven chairs, arranged neatly so that the guests would be seated elegantly yet efficiently, surrounded every table. Placed in the middle of every table was a silver-glazed vase, filled with bunches exotic, deep-blue orchids. Ornamental torches flickered on the walls, casting a soft, warm glow on the entire room. Magnificent archways lined the walls, some leading to exquisitely carved oaken doors, others purely decorative. 

No, it was not the layout of the castle's largest ballroom that made Adeleina peevish. It was her father's foolish idea that Adeleina needed to be wed so soon that made her mope so. 

A harried-looking maid nearly ran past her, her arms laden with two large sacks of flour. 

"Ivy!" Adeleina abruptly called. The maid, confused, turned to see the princess approaching her. She gasped.

"My lady! I didn't see you there," she panted, awkwardly shifting the heavy bags bundled in her arms. Adeleina hurried forward and grabbed one of the bags, pulling it into her own arms. She grinned as fine white flour clouded around her and settled on her immaculate gown. 

"Where are we going with these?" she asked. Ivy's face blanched in horror.

"Err...to the kitchen," she replied, inclining her head towards a corridor that lead to sounds of pots clanking and water streaming. "But you needn't help, you'll only ruin your dress, milady!"

"Nonsense. I've nothing left to do here, and two of these sacks is too heavy for one alone to bear. Come," Adeleina set off for the kitchen. In truth, she was quite glad for the reprise from wandering aimlessly around the ballroom. The maid Ivy trailed behind her, evidently rather alleviated at being freed from half of her burden.

The kitchen door was ajar, and from within wafted the smell of fresh-baked bread, the sizzling of roasting meat, and the shouts of the castle cook, Darcy. Adeleina shoved the door aside with her shoulder and dropped the bag of flour unceremoniously on the floor. 

The kitchen was stifling hot as several ovens, all lined up neatly, blazed with merry flames as they broiled and roasted their contents. An open window that let in the occasional cool draft gave a glimpse of dozens more outside, some alit with hot embers, and others being cleaned of soot and ash by kitchen servants. Shelves lined the stonewalls, every last one of them stocked with bottles and pouches, each varying in size, color, and contents. Tables were laid with large wooden chopping boards and mixing bowls filled with dough, or soup, or perhaps a sauce. In the corner, Adeleina spied several men tugging at an indoor water pump in an attempt to coax more water out of the small spout. The kitchen was crammed with dashing people in a frenzied attempt to keep the soup bubbling, but not boiling, or the roasted boar popping and crackling, but not burning. There were maids running about with buckets of water and men in stained white aprons stirring fervently at piping hot pots. Steam clouded the entire room, and amidst it all came the snaps of an exasperated voice.

"Susanne! That pot needs to be scrubbed again immediately, without further ado! It's as filthy as a hog's trough, you silly girl. Richard, that stew isn't finished thickening yet, put it back in the fire! Must you be so daft? Adeleina, dear! Out of my way, Sasha, get that sack of flour Ivy is holding, can't you see the poor girl is struggling to stay on her feet?"

A tall and lanky figure clutching a soup ladle emerged from the mass of shuffling people. She had wild, frizzy black hair that was tied back in a bushy ponytail, but even so, several strands broke free and exploded around her thin face. Her warm brown eyes were alight with excitement, and lit up even further while she approached Adeleina with outstretched arms.

"Darcy!" Adeleina laughed as her friend engulfed her in an outrageously messy hug. The head cook was a head taller than her, though she was a mere two years older than Adeleina's seventeen. Slightly buck-toothed and with bushy black eyebrows, Darcy was the daughter of a pair of innkeepers. She had earned her rightful spot as the castle's head cook after Adeleina's father had stopped by their inn, and immediately called for the owner upon his first spoon of their signature beef stew.

"This stew," he had declared, wringing the poor flustered innkeeper's hand in delight, "is the most succulent, most mouthwatering, most exquisitely-prepared stew I have ever tasted. Bring me your cook, I say, and two more helpings of the excellent stew!"

Darcy had been offered the position of head cook at the castle, as their previous one had recently gotten married and resigned. Adeleina immediately took a liking to the gawky but extremely friendly girl. There were few girls her age around the castle that freely talked to her without formalities as Darcy did. Hot tempered, stubborn, and at times obnoxious, she had been Adeleina’s first real friend.

“You’re just in time to accompany me to the village market,” Darcy threw off her dirty apron and tossed it at a passing maid carrying a basket of dirty linens. “Unless you’re too busy with your duties as a soon-to-be-betrothed, of course,”  She wiggled her thick eyebrows at Adeleina, creating a rather silly effect.

Adeleina’s damp mood considerably brightened at the proposal. An excuse to get out of the castle was all she needed. Besides…a small nagging thought at the corner of her mind still hoped that the beautiful stranger from the day before would be there.

“Of course I’ll come!” Adeleina exclaimed, grabbing her friend’s hand. "I have loads I need to tell  you, anyway. You'll never guess what happened yesterday..."

It took her all the time it took to reach the village to recount, in a rather grandiloquent manner, of her latest adventure, and the stranger who had saved her.

"A bear!" Darcy was saying as they passed a peddler attempting to sell his trinkets. "You should have brought the meat back. Braised bear is always a favorite of your father," She cast a humorous glance at Adeleina, who was looking bemused.

"It was foaming at the mouth, and it's breath smelled like sickness, Darcy. You wouldn't want to eat a bear like that,"

"Oh. And what of the man who killed it? Two arrows, you say?" She paused to admire a row of pale yellow corn on display. Adeleina felt the blush begin to heat up her cheeks again. "What's the matter with you? You look like a tomato. Do you have a fever?" Darcy dramatically laid the back of her hand across Adeleina's forehead in a mocking manner.

"No!" Adeleina lightly slapped Darcy's hand away from her head. "I was only thinking..."

"About?"

"He was an extraordinary person. It was strange, the way he made me feel-- like something was fluttering inside me. Do you know what I mean?"

Darcy laughed, not unkindly. 

"Oh, dear Adeleina. You are a fool, for someone who's supposed to run this kingdom in a few years," She patted Adeleina's arm in a consoling way and paused again to probe some turnips.

"What?" Adeleina snapped, tugging her away from the stall. She hated turnips. "What are you talking about?"

"Don't you see?"

"I see you cruelly taunting me. Tell me!"

Darcy shook her head mournfully and rolled her eyes.

"Six Heavens, help this girl. Gods know how long she'll survive in this foolish state,"

Adeleina smacked Darcy's arm, impatient.

"You've fallen madly in love," Darcy simply stated. She turned, her hands on her hips, and grinned triumphantly at the bewildered Adeleina.

"What?" Adeleina spluttered, the heat returning to her cheeks. "That's impossible! I, love? Never! I'd only met him minutes ago, Darcy. It wasn't love. Love is for bumbling fools who-" Adeleina glared at Darcy, or rather, she glared at Darcy's back. The girl had gone off and ignored Adeleina's protests, and was now humming to herself tunelessly. Adeleina gathered her skirts and rushed to catch up. "Hey!"

"Well," Darcy faced her cheerily. "Since you've accepted the fact that you have fallen head over heels in love, you may now gush to me all of this man's features, so that I may play the role of the best friend and judge him for you," Adeleina bristled at Darcy's cheek, but she couldn't deny that even to her, her protests had sounded weak and false. Shooting a final disgruntled look at her friend, she relented.

"He's got beautiful grey-green eyes, and dark hair that's almost black, but isn't. He rode a black horse he called Jet. His voice is deep, but it's soft and kind," Adeleina rattled off. "Is that enough of a description for you?"

"Green eyes, dark hair, and a glossy black horse?" Darcy's tone had just become quiet and secretive.

"That's what I just said. What's it to you?" Adeleina asked loudly.

"Shh! And he told you he was passing through?"

Perplexed at Darcy's odd behavior, Adeleina tried to speak in a loud whisper.

"Err...well, he said he needed to reach the nearest village. Why are you suddenly giggling?"

"Adeleina, there's a man who fits that description standing right behind you."

Adeleina didn't know whether to blanch in fear or flush red in embarrassment. She whirled around as she frantically scanned the sprawling street, filled with bustling people and the shouts of marketers. 

She nearly fainted.

There, at the entry of the village inn, stood the man who had saved her only yesterday. As she stared, she watched him approaching the marketplace, leaving his snuffling black horse tied to a wooden post. Either he hadn't seen her yet, or he was trying to avoid talking to her again. Adeleina blushed furiously. How much had he heard of her loud discussion? Gods forbid he had heard the part where Darcy had accused her of love. Adeleina was nearly ready to fall to her knees and beg for mercy from the heavens. Perhaps he had been too far away to distinguish her conversation. Perhaps the bustling street was too loud and had muffled their voices.

Darcy prodded Adeleina's arm impatiently as the man drew closer to the stall they were standing in front of. 

"Well?" She hissed, attempting to pull Adeleina towards him. "Aren't you going to say hello? Or are you to stand here forever and grow roots?"

"Shh!" Adeleina shot her a reproachful glare. "Do you think he heard us?"

"Unlikely. He was too far away. Now, go!" Darcy gave her a forceful shove out from the cover of the stall. Adeleina yelped as she stumbled over the uneven cobblestone into the street. She rammed into something that felt suspiciously like a person.

Adeleina pulled herself upright haughtily, only to find herself gaze rest on a twinkling pair of grey-green eyes. She gasped softly and stumbled backwards.

"Imagine seeing you again," the man grinned. His teeth were a brilliant white.

"Err...sorry," Adeleina mumbled as she avoided his laughing eyes, trying to scoot away.

"Are you running from me already, Adeleina?" He grabbed her hand before she could flee back to the safe darkness of the stall where Darcy stood. Adeleina nearly jolted at the familiar contact of his fingers on hers.

"Are you terribly inclined to hold my hand all the time?" She shot back at him, smiling a little. Part of her was incredulous that he had remembered her name, and the other part flattered. 

"You didn't seem to mind it too much yesterday," he countered. He didn't let go of her hand. "Is this how you treat a man who saved you from a wild bear?" His expression was of mock grief and agony as he pretended to be wounded in the heart. Adeleina drew herself up and boldly stepped closer to him, her hand still in his grasp.

"It isn't often incredibly handsome men run around the woods saving maidens from bears, you see. You must forgive me for not knowing how to act when I stumble across one," A split second after Adeleina blurted the words, she nearly reeled back in shock. Had she truly just admitted that she thought he was handsome? Fool, she cursed at herself internally.

"Handsome, am I?" One of his eyebrows quirked upwards. "You aren't so unsightly yourself,"

Adeleina could feel the blush returning to her cheeks.

"Err..." She struggled for words. Should she thank him? Should she attempt to further the conversation? Or should she inquire as to what he was still doing in the village?

Adeleina chose none of the three.

"I have to go," She abruptly dropped his hand and stepped back, allowing him to continue on his way down the aisle. He did not.

"Will I be seeing you again?" There was a touch of eagerness in his voice. Adeleina's spirits soared. He wanted to see her again!

"Will you be staying at the Winging Dove's Inn?"

"Yes."

"Then you most certainly will be seeing me again, Sir...?" Adeleina remembered his clever tactic of asking her name the day before. Evidently, he recognized his own words as well, and grinned broadly.

"Alecsander. Just Alecsander," he mimicked her own response. Adeleina laughed at his playful gall before hurriedly scampering back to Darcy. 

"Well?" Darcy demanded, her hands and basket at her hips. "What was that? You spoke for less than a minute, yet your face is glowing like the sun. Do tell," Darcy impatiently tapped her foot.

Adeleina watched Alecsander's back retreating down the street again, his figure eventually getting lost in the crowd. Alecsander. The name tasted elegant on her tongue.

"What?" She said absently. 

"Adeleina! You're as mad as a lovestruck hare," Darcy cried, waving a hand in front of Adeleina's dreamy gaze. "What in six heavens happened back there?"

"I'm not in love, Darcy-" she began to protest, but the stubborn cook shushed her.

"Oh, stop denying it, you utter fool. You should see the look on your face; you look like you've landed on the moon!"

"Darcy!"

"What? It's true!"

The two girls continued on their way through the aisles, bickering cheerfully.

-------------

Adeleina art on the side by @InfectusSlim!

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

142 105 69
The Sword Of A Princess. In the midst of war against the Western Empire, the Northern Princess Athena finds herself in a world she can't control. Wit...
813 45 39
A young girl lives in the forest all alone. No family, no friends and worst of all no memories. She just woke up one day lying on the forest floor. ...
989 113 54
[COMPLETE] [EDITING IN PROGRESS] Could Cora become the queen of a kingdom where she was separated for years? If only trust wasn't a myth? She's belie...
87 1 27
A young princess becomes the heir of the Kingdom after the passing of her parents and soon finds herself vulnerable to the enemy King who plans to ov...