THORNS & VENOM | h.p.a.u

By NatasjaSilver

In which the prized Gryffindor beauty is given up to Slytherin's venomous prince. ❝Don't you know, darling? S... More

HEX
ALOHOMORA
HOGSMEADE
EPISKEY
CHARM
QUIDDITCH
JINX
AMORTENTIA
WINGARDIUM LEVIOSA
DIFFINDO
HONEYDUKES
BUTTER BEER
PUREBLOOD
OCCLUMENCY
OBLIVIATE
VERITASERUM
PENSIEVE
EXPECTO PATRONUM
ACCIO
GLACIUS
EXPELLIARMUS
MUDBLOOD
CRUCIATUS
APPARITION
COLLOPORTUS

DEATH EATERS

3.2K 142 13
By NatasjaSilver

ROSE WAS UNSURE OF HER decision to stay over the holidays at Hogwarts. While she and Scorpius had a lot that needed to be done for the Yule Ball, she still wished she could neglect her duty as Head and ditch all the delayed work onto Scorpius. Her surprise knew no bounds when she found out from Headmistress McGonagall that Scorpius had taken two days off and would return soon. 

Soon turned out to be a week into break. Rose was practically seething. She had gathered all the Prefects to help plot everything single detail with a constant stream of ideas and backup plans running through the professor board overseeing the preparations for the Yule Ball.

Many students, mostly fifth years and up, had returned to cram for NEWTs and OWLs. Some had come early with outfits brought from home for the Yule Ball, which served as a reminder for Rose that as soon as she was done sitting in the Astronomy Tower with all the prefects scribbling about whether the ceiling should be charmed as the night sky or the sunrise, she needed to go pick up her dress from Hogsmeade- which required permission from McGonagall.

"Mind wrapping up?" Rose handed her parchment and quill to the Gryffindor prefect.

"Sure. Where are you off to?" Irving Longbottom called out as she skirted the stairwell.

"Business!" she yelled back.

Despite looking forwards, she seemed to have missed the person she crashed right onto.

"Oomph! Now you watch it there, young lady! Almost made me drop this baby devil's snare. It's a new collection for my office!"

"My apologies, Professor Longbottom!" she skipped around him.

The herbology professor combed back his flop of dark hair. "Be careful, Rose. Watch where you walk!"

"Yes, professor!"

A few more stairs led her straight to McGonagall's office. She knocked twice before entering.

The doors swung open to reveal McGonagall as a cat, using her paw pad soaked with ink to stamp multiple documents paired with her signature. At her entrance, McGonagall jumped off and ditched her animagus of a cat to turn back into a witch.

"Rose? What can I do for you?"

She took a seat on the gilded leather couch. "Professor, I was wondering if I could take the rest of the day off to Hogsmeade?"

McGonagall had her eyes glued to the permission slips in front of her, probably from students that tried to forge their parents signature to go on the Hogsmeade trip.

"Again? You've only just returned."

"Yes, I know," she persisted. "But I had a dress made at Bernice's Boutique and I didn't get the chance to pick it up or figure out the price. Madam Bernice is making it by hand since apparently my proportions aren't of the norm."

"Hm." The Headmistress of Hogwarts raised her head. "Very well. You're eighteen, yes? No need for permission slips. Sign yourself out with Filch by three. I'll send an owl with approval for your trip before then. I expect you to return to Hogwarts before night fall, young lady."

Rose sat straight in her chair. "Of course, Professor. Thank you!"

"Not a problem. Now scurry off. And tell Scorpius when he returns that he and I need to have a private talk the next time you see him."

At that, Rose stiffened. "May I ask about what that talk entails?"

McGonagall's eyes changed to feline. "If I told you it wouldn't be a private talk, now would it?"

Swallowing, Rose briskly paced out of McGonagall's office. She had everything she needed, her purse on her body, dressed in civilian clothes, a thick Gryffindor scarf wrapped around her neck. Herself and Albus had access to Hagrid's own person apparatus. The floo powder in Hagrid's did well to transport her to Hogsmeade once three o' clock hit and she'd already checked in with mean old Mr.Filch.

The place was bustling more so now that the Quidditch Cup was over. Even without the plethora of Hogwarts students to fill the small village, the place was packed.

She soon found out why. Everyone was crowding around Bernice's Boutique.

She wiggled her way to the front as a bunch of others crowded around the display window. A familiar glitter caused her to avert her eyes from the entrance to the display window.

That dress...She saw her reflection shadow over the dress.

Was that her dress? She saw all the fabrics swatches that called out to her during her last time at Hogsmeade. The dress was magically stitching itself at the hem. At the traditional floor length, she was shocked to see that the wand in Bernice's hand didn't stop spewing thread. The red satin looped itself through and through to make a sweeping train behind her. Just enough for her to have her small bubble of space lest anyone stepped on her dress.

Bernice noticed her peeking through the glass and immediately paused her work, waving for her to enter.

The door magically swung open and Rose rushed inside before it closed behind her, locking out all the others who tried to enter.

"Rose, good to see you. I was wondering when you'd show up."

"Is that mine?" she blurted.

"Yes." Bernice smiled. "Do you like it? Of course you do. It's you."

"It's magnificent."

"Indeed. Would you like to try it? I'm almost done with the train."

"Yes," she answered breathlessly, hoping she didn't sound too eager. "But, um, first- how much does this dress cost?"

Bernice looked at Rose, then back at the dress, then at the window where onlookers gazed upon the making of the dress.

She finished up the train and closed the curtains of the windows. The dress magically trailed behind Bernice as she escorted Rose to the counter.

"Do you have the slip I gave you?"

Rose dug into her jacket pocket to pull it out and hand it over.

Bernice wrote down the number and the breakdown of the cost onto the same sheet of paper that she got her ticket, then slid it over the counter to Rose.

"That's how much it will be?" She gaped. "I can't-"

"You can, and you will." Bernice said firmly. "I will accept no other amount."

"This is ridiculous." Rose exclaimed. "That dress is worth far more. You seriously aren't considering selling it to me for three galleons? I doubt the other girls prices were like this."

She shrugged. "I set my own prices. I can make anything as expensive or cheap as I want."

"Please, I can't pay this. Is this because my father is Ron Weasley and my mum is Hermione Granger? I didn't save the world from evil, I don't deserve this."

Bernice took Rose's hands in her own. "This isn't because of your family. This is because I want to. I've been struggling with my designs and came her to find inspiration. You, Rose, became my new inspiration. I was completely and utter motivated to make this dress- I haven't executed a vision so precisely since I first debuted as a designer."

Rose felt flattered beyond belief. "Oh wow. Thank you so much. But what exactly about me inspired you?"

"The heartbreak in your eyes, your firmness despite your sadness." she went on. "Your resilience through it all, the wildness at which you grow, like a rose with thorns."

The dress hovered near the dressing room. Rose quickly changed as Bernice found a plastic hanger and cover for the dress.

It looked absolutely stunning. She had to do several spins in front of the three way mirror before realized that her reflection was actually her.

The red stain was tight around her body, flaring out at her knees into a train. The train and her décolletage itself were covered in satin roses. The roses around her shoulders grew less dense along the sleeves as the film of nude shimmer was interlaced with the metallic emerald thorns that wrapped around her arm in a spiral all the way to the wrist, where another rose rested on the triangle reaching up over the back of her hands.

The tops of her shoulders and her collarbone were barely exposed, but still maintained a light of elegance.

Rose definitely couldn't go with straight hair as planned for the event. Curly ends and slicked back hair split to the left side seemed appropriate. And heels? What heels would go with this?

Those were the questions she pondered all the way back to Hogwarts as she paid Bernice and got a wagon back, entranced by the dress even through the frosted cover.

She walked into the Slytherin common room only to see Scorpius speaking heatedly with Lana Avery. He had his suitcase at his side, scarf from Hux wrapped around the raised handle. Draped over his arm was a suit in plastic covering.

Lana looked slightly worried, so Rose crossed over to stand by her.

For once, Scorpius took no regard to her, eyes locked on Lana.

"I mean it, Lana. No visitors at all, even siblings from other Houses. If incidents like these keep happening, we're putting house members at risk. Slytherins take care of one another, wouldn't you agree?"

The Slytherin Prefect bit her lip. "Yes, but what about her?"

Lana pointed to her.

Scorpius eyes narrowed. "I can vouch for Rose. She hasn't done anything. Anyone else, however, isn't allowed."

The Prefect sighed heavily. "Very well. I'll let Brady know. By the way, Althea is very angry you didn't tell her you were going to miss more than two days of practice."

She left to find her male counterpart.

Rose turned to Scorpius. "What's that all about? What incidents?"

"Don't worry about it." He murmured, jerking his chin to the frosted covering. "That your dress?"

She hugged it tighter to her. "Yes. I'm assuming you got your suit?"

"Got it tailored with Mum when I went to visit." He grabbed the handle of his suitcase. "Heading back to the dorm?"

Rose sucked in a breath. "Yeah, actually."

The awkward walk together to the dorm, like they were returning from class together or something, was strange. Rose took notice that he was wearing civilian clothes as well. He looked surprisingly good in something other than green and black. Granted the colors weren't too far from his normal palette. He had the same long black trench coat with the high collar. Underneath he was sporting a heather gray cashmere sweater that matched his eyes and black pants tucked into combat boots.

"So." said said numbly once they entered, the door shutting behind them. "Who are you taking to the Yule Ball?"

Her mind wanted to explode, melt all over the dorm and seep into the cracks to dissapear forever. Why would you ask that, Rose!? Get it together!

He shucked off his trench coat. "The plan was to take you."

"But a wrench was tossed into those plans when Lysander confessed to Lily, right?" She swallowed.

He turned to face her. "You heard?"

"I saw." She croaked. "I never had a chance, did I? And you knew that. Somehow you knew about times when Lysander and Lorcan came to hang out at my house. How did you know?"

"Albus told me." He crept closer.

Rose never knew how hyperaware she was of the Head Boy. "Albus? Funny, because he was hardly there those summers. Last I recall, he would be spending his summers with you in various countries."

Something was off. "How do you know so much about me?"

Scorpius jerked back from her like she'd burned him.

"What do you mean?"

Rose circled around Scorpius, like a lioness toying with her prey. "You know what I mean, Malfoy. How do you know so much about me. Not just that, but intimate details. You know how I like my tea, my favorite class, my values and morals...how I like to be kissed."

He stiffened at that. 

"Rose, enough. I'm going to bed. I recommend you do the same." he said curtly.

She grabbed his arm. "Scorpius, talk to me-"

He jerked his arm away. "Blimey, Rose, why do you always have to do this-"

BANG!

A scream echoed through Slytherin common room, reaching up even to the Head dorm room. Scorpius and Rose's eyes met before they both ran out to see what the fuss was about. Scorpius reached the bottom of the stairs first and stopped dead in his tracks. His arm reached out to stop Rose from going any further.

On the floor of the common room were two large dead pythons, wrapped and intertwined to look like the Death Eater mark.

Rose's eyes darted straight to Scorpius, but he revealed no emotion. Instead, he got Lana and Brody to meet with him in his dorm upstairs. 

"Thea, did you see what happened?" 

Her cousin's voice drew her over to the couches, where Althea Nott was shaking. 

"Salazar, I didn't even-" the Captain of the Slytherin quidditch team sobbed. "-if I knew, I wouldn't have accepted it."

Rose shouldered her way over. "Albus? What happened?"

Her cousin looked up with worry etched on his features. "Ronnie!? What are you doing here, Brody and Lana told me that you took the day off."

"I-I finished early." she stammered, eyes trained on the usually confident girl that was shaking in her boots. "Althea, what happened?"

Other Slytherins had gathered around to hear. 

Albus sat beside her, offering his shoulder for her to lean on as she gripped his hand tightly in a white knuckled hold. 

"I was at the library, studying up for Slughorn's Advanced Potions NEWT. When I went to return some of the textbooks, I found this box." she pointed to the 2 x 2 gift box. "It came with a note, to open it when I was alone."

She then laughed, the sound harsh and unforgiving. "What a blithering idiot I was, to show off what I thought was a gift from one of my lovers."

Albus tucked Althea deeper into his side. "Hey now, it isn't your fault. No one got hurt, and no one blames you."

"This is the fifth incident this year. I mean honestly, aren't you used to it by now? Precious purebloods getting worried over some Death Mark. You know he isn't coming back, so why panic?" 

All eyes turned on Maryse Zabini, who stood with her arms crossed in utter indifference. 

Rose felt herself boiling over, but kept her cool. It wasn't her House's issues to discuss over. Thankfully Albus seemed to have some sense and stood straight.

"It's not about the Death Mark, Maryse. Someone is targeting Slytherin."

"No." Maryse's eyes glinted dangerously. "Someone is targeting purebloods."

Everyone started murmuring about that, leaning over each other about the whispers from the past few accidents.

"Hera Carrow, Alecto's granddaughter." Albus muttered, one could practically see the gears working in his head. "Lana Avery, granddaughter of Avery Jr."

"Matthias Rosier, son of Evan Rosier." another cried out.

A Latino girl on Rose's left stepped forward. "Me. Ursula Goyle, daughter of Gregory Goyle."

"Oh Merlin," Albus looked back. "Althea Nott, daughter of Theodore Nott and Pansy Parkinson."

Something clicked in Rose's head. "It's purebloods related to Death Eaters. That's why the Death Mark was placed."

The whole of Slytherin then seemed to notice her presence. Maryse looked as if she was ready to say something that Rose knew she was going to find wicked and harmful when a firebird shot out above them before flying through the dungeons.

Albus grimaced. "Oh I have a bad feeling about that..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.8K 403 39
Rose Weasley was no longer the thorny little girl she had been four years previously, with new found confidence she'd blossomed into a bright flower...
2.9M 42.8K 35
Fanfic Watty Awards winner 2011. Lily Luna Potter is the only daughter of the famous Harry Potter. It's her fifth year at Hogwarts and her feelings...
219K 5.4K 76
Rose Weasley has always been the top of her class. She got it from her mum, the pure determination to soak in all the information that she learned be...
24.4K 741 15
Rose Weasley, the daughter of the famous Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, is starting her seventh and final year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft an...