ELDRITCH NIGHT (Rough Draft)

Oleh hammbody

Eldritch horrors descend from the sky to consume the world. Only a last-minute intervention by a mysterious H... Lebih Banyak

Chapter One: Day Breaks, and Night Falls
Chapter Two: At Night Crept
Chapter Three: A Widow Fled
Chapter Four: From Looming Monarch's Dread
Chapter Five: Debrief
Chapter Six: Mind and Body
Chapter Seven: Daybreak
Chapter Eight: New Growth
Chapter Nine: Sticks and Stones
Chapter Ten: Of Class and Men
Chapter Eleven: All Aboard
Chapter Twelve: Shore Leave
Chapter Thirteen: Words of Blessing
Chapter Fourteen: Homecoming
Chapter Fifteen: Revelations
Chapter Sixteen: Night Turns to Day
Chapter Seventeen: Pickman's Daughter
Chapter Eighteen: The Band Sets Outs
Chapter Nineteen: Conflict on the Bridge
Chapter 20: Song of Battle
Chapter 21: Dark Revelations
Chapter 22: Truth from Madness
Chapter 23: Banter and Bombs
Chapter 24: Aftermath
Chapter 25: Smoke on the Water
Chapter 26: So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Chapter 27: One of Many
Chapter 28: Descent
Chapter 29: Trapped
Chapter 30: The Fisher Man and the Sea
Chapter 31: Into the Fore
Chapter 32: Flowers of Change
Chapter 33: Out of the Breach
Chapter 34: Isolation
Chapter 35: Questions
Chapter 36: The Fruits of Despair
Chapter 37: Fuel on the Fire
Chapter 38: Family Ties
Chapter 39: Eye of the Storm
Chapter 40: Chains that Bind
Chapter 41: Fruits of the Earth
Chapter 42: Sky Meets Earth
Chapter 43: Kiting with Behemoths
Chapter 44: A Pound of Flesh
Chapter 45: Growth
Chapter 46: Volatile Responses
Chapter 47: Overt Operations
Chapter 48: Pearls of Thought
Chapter 49: Charge of the Dark Brigade
Chapter 50: Ave Maria
Chapter 52: Apotheosis Horizon (1/2)
Chapter 52: Apotheosis Horizon (2/2)
Chapter 53: Fingers of the Dead
Chapter 54: Our Lady, Who Art in Hell
Chapter 55: Darkness Before Dawn
Chapter 56: Hubris, Slayer of Gods
Chapter 57: Dreamscape
End of Book Update and Acknowledgements
Epilogue

Chapter 51: Leveling Earth and Sky

177 16 0
Oleh hammbody

I was expecting something along the lines of a Hollywood explosion – a controlled, evenly distributed release of kinetic energy, heat, and light. A few billowing flames wouldn't have seemed out of place. That wasn't what I got.

There were no flames, but there was plenty of light and force. A brilliant wave washed over me, drowning everything in an intense sea of white. I was blinded. It lasted only seconds, but those moments contained more pain and death than anything I had imagined possible.

The force of the blast had pressed me into the cold soil. Heavy earth fell like rain, burying me further. I felt trapped under the weight and it bore down upon me with increasing force. I began frantically kicking and pushing as I tried to free myself.

My panic and the loamy walls of my tomb muffled the sound of the world above me. Everything was distorted and far away, but still clear to my enhanced perception. Those sounds still haunt my more restless nights.

Screams full off spittle and rage filled my ears. Howls and pounding feet shook the earth around me in answer to these calls. This was met with a clash of claw and flesh as allies turned against each other. The cries of fury quickly turned into despair as I heard the thud of dozens of bodies hitting the ground at the same time. Something incredibly large was slamming against the earth with terrifying force and speed.

The ferocious beat slowly increased in tempo, it was much like the sound of a train picking up speed as it pulls away from a station. The earth responded like taut skin stretched across a drum. The dirt bounced, and waves passed through blood-soaked mud like ripples in a pond. I felt it as a deep vibration in my chest.

Each strike was followed by a thunderous boom like the crack of a whip. As the speed of the cracks intensified I could no longer hear the dings and shouts of combat. A few inhuman voices still called out in pain and rage, but they were quickly being silenced.

The wet sounds of tearing flesh and the sickening cracks of shattered bone would follow each percussive strike. It seemed to go on forever but had taken no more than a scant few heartbeats — a single measure of a ghastly dance.

Eventually, even the raging howls and cries of anguish faded into quiet whimpers. Everything else had gone quiet. No sounds of battle or life broke the silence as the deadly percussion slowly stilled.

My vision was beginning to return. The blinding white slowly retreated, to be replaced by a deep and overwhelming black. I thrust my arm upwards and I could feel a cool wind between my fingers. I tore at earth and pressed up with my legs until my eyes broke free beneath a purple and hazy sky. The world was blurred and dark and I was unable to focus on the carnage that lied around me.

Something large and fast passed over me, creating flickering shadows like the spinning shade of a gargantuan propeller.

A gentle hum filled the silence. With every rotation of the shadow the hum grew louder, and the air began to pull at me like the drag of a large truck passing too closely. As the effect increased, dirt and small stones began to fly into the sky until converging at a single point.

I may have joined them if I didn't still have a half ton of earth anchoring me to the ground. I wasn't sure how long that would be true, however, as thick streams of dust spiraled into the air and began to rotate around a growing sphere of rock and dirt.

The spinning singularity picked up speed and was soon absorbing green-skinned corpses and tearing craters from the ground as loose dirt revealed buried stones of various sizes. I reinforced the earth around me by creating a large net of eldritch energy that covered myself and the small hill I was buried in. I then anchored the net with massive spikes that I drove as deep beneath the ground as I could.

Within seconds I was lifted out of my hiding spot, my weight straining against the net. Long gashes were cut into my armor and thick red welts appeared on exposed flesh. The spikes anchoring the net began to loosen and pull free one by one. With each tug the net was lifted higher above the ground as winding trails of dirt broke free to orbit what was beginning to look like a small moon.

The reversed gravity continued to pull me upwards until only a single spike remained to anchor me to the Earth. I grasped the energy of the net and condensed it into a sphere to protect myself from the flying rock and fallen weapons that filled the air.

And then... it stopped. I heard a sound like shattered glass, and everything went still. For a moment I was weightless. I floated among clumps of dirt and stone like detritus cast through space. A globe the size of a large house hung motionless above me. Small cracks appeared in its surface, widening and lengthening almost instantly as the stone began to fray.

Not everything fell at the same time. The objects closest to the ground began to obey normal gravity first, before slowly passing the message upwards. As stone and rock began to bury me I looked up at the boulder that blocked out the entire sky. It was slowly rotating and was still absorbing the dirt closest to it. The spin was slowing, and the surface of the sphere was an ever growing crisscross of cracks and chasms.

When that thing came down I couldn't be under it.

Dirt poured down the rounded sides of my energy shield, all but burying me once again. Only one direction was clear.

I bent my knees. As the muscles in my legs contracted I wound eldritch energy around each fiber. I didn't have this much control over the ambient energy, but since fusing with my new arm I had gained a greater control and understanding over the energy I had integrated into my own flesh and bone. It would hurt, but I could roughly double my power without doing more damage than a heavy workout. Greater boosts were possible, but the risks were greater as well.

I chose to increase the strength of my legs threefold.

I jumped, my body and legs straightened as I threw my arms over my head. In the same instant I released my protective shell. I cleared the top just as tons of earth and rock rushed in to fill the void. A thick plume of dust engulfed me.

At the same time, the spinning sphere stopped its rotation and hung motionless in the air. The feeling of flying towards it was both invigorating, and terrifying. I continued to fly upwards with no way to correct my course. I was blind in every direction as thick clouds of dust surrounded me. A wall of earth blocked the way forward. It was as if I was falling through clouds of dust towards an empty, desert planet.

In the fraction of a second before the orb began to fall, I flipped and landed feet first on its cracked surface. I pushed off against crumbling rock, creating a cascade of breaks and fissures. Small pieces began to break off from the miniature moon and immediately began to fall. This seemed to be the signal for everything else to follow.

I flew outwards, angled slightly away from the hurtling ball of rock and buried corpses. I would reach the ground first and might even have a moment to run. I would still land closer to the impact than I would like. My mana shield was active but had yet to recover to full strength after the sniper shot I took to the head.

I could create another shield of eldritch energy, but instead I chose to focus on speed. I was falling headfirst, and the ground was still obscured. Energy coursed through my legs in anticipation of a mad dash as soon as I landed. I would need to nail the timing perfectly.

I tried to calculate my speed to figure out exactly when I would land, but it turned out that a forty intelligence did not automatically make up for years of minimal effort in math class. That didn't mean I was out of tricks.

I conjured several small marbles of energy and threw them forward with a soft underhand. They would land a fraction of a second before I did. I kept a mental hold on the energy, looking for the exact moment the marbles stopped moving.

When the marbles hit the ground, I fell into a forward roll. I ended up beginning the roll too early and came down on my hip rather than my shoulder. A burning shot of pain ran up my spine, but I continued as if nothing happened and easily hit my feet running.

A shock wave followed by a rolling mound of dust and dirt quickly overtook me. I was buried and knocked to the ground once more. Luckily, this time I was not entombed but merely covered in a layer of grime. Something wet and sticky was mixed with the dirt and pebbles, but I ignored the feeling and turned my mind to something else.

The destruction had been massive and had killed nearly everything within its radius. Despite that, the area wasn't large enough to have taken out more than a tiny fraction of the horde. It was confined almost entirely to the rear flank of the goblin army. Most of the goblins, not to mention the other species, were likely unharmed. One of the red robed giants and its thirteen cohorts seemed to have been taken out. That, at least, was a win.

Whatever intelligence or algorithm that controlled the system decided that this was perfect moment to remind me it was in charge. A deluge of status updates was starting to overwhelm my senses. Normally they would be welcome, but I had never received so many in such a short time. It was distracting and nauseating.

I could feel the air become thick with energy, but it was the flavorless and pasteurized version used by the system. It was like mana, but grey and lifeless. It was devoid of the temperament and instability of eldritch energy. Worse, I couldn't control it.

I couldn't stop it from flowing into me. I became dazed as it formed a twister above me that funneled straight into my chest. I felt as if I was the drain at the bottom of some celestial tub. I could feel the energy changing me. A large portion of the energy disappeared, and I was unable to grasp where it went.

Flashing lights and scrolling cautions, numbers, and updates distracted me. I dismissed them until I got past the army of fiends and found a safe place. If such a place even existed now.

The information kept coming, demanding to be seen. I could set it aside, but the knowledge stayed in the back of my mind demanding to be acknowledged. I had to act before curious or vengeful monsters ventured closer.

I may not have taken out the army, but I had filled the sky with a cloud of dust that was slowly settling over everything. That, combined with my illusions, would camouflage my movements. I took off running.

I would need speed, and a little luck. I ran roughly the length of three football fields before I exited the radius of the destruction I had created. As I broke through, the dust thinned and I became aware of something in front of me.

An army of green bodies was lined up shoulder to shoulder. Individual goblins would jostle or kick their neighbors, but it was an otherwise unified front. The lined curved as far as I could see in each direction, as if they were creating a ring around the entire area.

Shit. Something was suppressing their instincts to an even greater level than before. They were waiting to stop anything that exited the radius of the cataclysm that had consumed thousands of their horde.

I wasn't entirely caught of guard. I was surrounded by an illusionary sphere that made me look like a whirlwind of dust. I should blend in to the background, except to the most scrupulous of eyes. As the horde appeared I conjured a shadow doppelganger and ordered it to run parallel to the army of goblins.

The shadow was uncamouflaged, and moved slowly. Whatever was suppressing the goblins' instincts wasn't powerful enough to stop them from chasing easy prey. This created a hole in the wall of goblin flesh. I slipped through unnoticed, picking up speed with each step.

I reached a sort of no man's land in less than half a minute. It was a semicircle of cratered and blood soaked land directly in front of the blue forcefield. A small group of familiar faces stood just outside the dome. They didn't look happy.

I took one more look at the wasteland behind me. The army of abominations could not be reasoned with or overpowered. They represented only death. I still hesitated before stepping forward.

The look on my welcome committee's face was not one of gratitude.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

1.4K 118 24
When Alex stumbles into another dimension, he loses the perfect life he'd built back home. To make it worse, he falls into the middle of a meeting be...
567 179 39
Josiah Li lives in a flooded world, where global warming has taken its toll and technology is intertwined in every aspect of daily life. To pass the...
534K 23.7K 200
The gaming format «R.E.M. D.I.V.E» Rapid Eye Movement, Digital interface with Virtual Environments, often called «Dream Gaming». The world's leading...
3 0 3
Suddenly appearing on the global market, a high-tech company displaces tech giants and presents a communicator with stunning capabilities. A year lat...