These Scars

By niamburrito

"Scars are those rare things that never go away. They may fade over time or become dull, but they never fully... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Authors note
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Epilogue
Final Author's Note!
New Story is Up!

Chapter Twenty-Three

1.1K 44 17
By niamburrito

I inch my head down closer as intimidating as I can and smirk at Jennifer. Knife in hand, I touch the tip of the rubbery blade against her cheek. "Cato promised that I could have you if I gave the audience a good show." I say in a near whisper. Just as I lift the knife, Dayo's hand grips the back of my jacket. He turns me around to where I'm facing him, his jaw clenched and his breath heavy. For a minute, I actually get scared of him.

"You kill her?!" he blurts out, it ragged with each breath. I rapidly shake my head, his hand now softly around my throat.

"No, no!" I choke out.

"I heard you. You said her name." He barks out.

"Cato!" I scream. "Cato!"

"You said her name!" he screams at me as he throws me back against the pad on the Cornucopia. I hit it and fall limp against the ground. Just as Dayo is about to say his next line and Alexander sprints out of the woods, Gary calls cut again.

Jennifer sits up on the wrestling mat type thing and just gives Gary a weird look. "What now?" she snaps. Gary shoots her a look.

"I'm just not feeling this scene." He says.

"I am." I tell him. "Being thrown against that thing 40 times isn't as easy as it sounds. It gets a little rough."

Gary just rolls his eyes before going on and Dayo gives me an apologetic look. "The whole fight deal between you two are good and all. It's Isabelle's monologue."

"Great." I mumble. Of course, it's something with me.

"The lines are all jumbled up and out of place to me. Try just saying the lines about Rue this time, okay? Places!" he yells out before going back behind the camera.

I groan before pushing myself off the mat and getting back on top of Jennifer. I've literally been in this position for like 4 hours today. And yes, it is as awkward as it sounds.

I move my foot so it's over her hand. Gary screams action, and she starts to struggle beneath me.

"Where's your little friend? The one that hopped around in the trees?" I ask with a menacing smile. "What was her name again, Rue? Well, we killed her. And now," I say, undoing the knife, "we're gonna kill you."

"Cut!" Gary says, nearly piercing my ears with his scream. What now? Gary comes out from behind the camera and looks at us. "Isabelle, say the lines about Peeta and then the lines about Rue. And take out the line about the trees. Places!"

I run that through my head and get back into the same uncomfortable position. When Gary calls action for like the fiftieth time today, Jennifer acts as if she's struggling again. "Where's lover boy?" I snarl at her. She struggles even more. I know what's going through her head; maybe if we act like we're putting tons of effort in, Gary will say the scene was good. "Oh I see." I say, cocking my head to one side. "You're here to help him, right? Well that's sweet. Too bad you couldn't help your little friend. What was her name again? Rue? Well, we killed her. And now, we're gonna kill you."

I let out a snicker before bringing the knife downwards. Then, Dayo snatches me up again. I drop my knife and he pushes me up against the Cornucopia.

"You kill her?" he says.

"No, no!" I say, out of breath.

"You said her name. I heard you." He says, rage plastered across his face.

"Cato!" I scream at the top of my lungs. "Cato!"

"You said her name!" Dayo screams before throwing me against the padded wall. He does it again before I crumple to the mat below me.

Gary flicks the cameras onto Dayo and Jen as he says his lines. They turn back just as Alexander approaches the mat, a shocked and outraged look on his face.

He throws the sword that he had in his hands. This is what annoyed me. In the book, it says a spear. How hard is it to replace one prop to match the book? Oh well.

"No!" he yells in a raspy tone. He kneels beside me and grips onto my hand. The cameras go back and forth between Alexander and Jennifer while he is repeatedly yelling at me to stay alive.

Gary calls cut and all the camera operators and producers clap their hands. I sit up and let out a relieved sigh. I'm glad that we didn't have to go over that scene again.

Alexander helps me up and I walk back towards the tents set up. Jennifer walks towards me and hands me one of the water bottles in her hand. I thank her before walking over to join Jack and Amandla.

Jack is babbling on about something. He's probably hungover or something. Oh yeah, him ordering excessive amounts of alcoholic drinks to Gary's room has now become a regular thing. The first time he did it everyone got in trouble. All Gary did was lecture us before letting it slide over. Now, he takes every last penny that Jack spends out of his paycheck and yells at him whenever Jack shows up to set drunk or hungover. I wouldn't say that Jack has a problem or anything. He's just stupid.

It's only been a week since the first incident. Since then, we've filmed the tracker jacker scene and went to the studio to film all of the interview and chariot scenes. Now we are finishing everyone's death scenes.

Alexander and I haven't really been playing our game as much as we did at first. Now we just do things like we did before and I'm not complaining. The feelings are still there, of course. I hope that they are for him as well.

Leven and Dayo walk over to join us under the tent. Gary has taken Jackie and Jennifer off somewhere for some filming.

Alexander gently taps my arm to get my attention. I turn to look at him, and he's got an unreadable expression on his face. "You okay?" he asks.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I answer. He smiles before putting his arm around me to hug me against him.

"Aw, cuties." Jack mocks while rolling his eyes at us.

"Seriously are you guys even a couple yet." Dayo asks before taking a swig from the water bottle.

Alexander awkwardly laughs and looks away. I give him a weird look along with Jack and Amandla. I just shrug my shoulders to answer his question and he doesn't ask anymore.

"No, I'm curious. Are you a couple?" Leven speaks, staring at Alexander. Her stare is cold and it makes me nervous to even look at her.

Alexander opens his mouth to speak but just looks at the ground. He then looks back up with a smile. "No. I think we're just, uh, enjoying things how they are?" he asks almost as a question. Leven gives him a smirk before turning to walk away. I look at Alexander for an explanation but he just shrugs his shoulders. That was weird.

One of the producers comes over and lets us know that Gary dismissed us. I walk back over to the cabs with Alexander at my side.

"Hey." He says while we're both walking.

"Hey." I answer with a smile. "What was with Leven?"

He takes a moment before he answers. "I, uh, I don't know. I was going to ask you the same thing actually."

I just nod my head in return before opening the door to the vehicle. Alexander gets in on the other side and we start to go back to the hotel.

Alexander actually opens the door for me once we arrive and we both walk into the lobby and into the elevator. The whole time his stare is at the ground and his hand nervously bounces against his leg. What's up with him?

We reach our floor and step out. He walks me to my room as he usually does. "Something wrong?" I ask him once we reach my door.

He smiles and wraps his arms around me, embracing me in a hug. I'm surprised at first before I hug him back. "No." He mumbles into my shoulder. He pulls away and looks at me. He smiles and his eyes get the usual sparkle in them. "I'm fine. I promise."

"Good." I answer, returning the smile. "I guess I'll just see you later."

He nods his head. "Yeah. See you later."

He walks away just before I close my door behind me. I go to take a shower though my thoughts are consuming me. He said nothing was wrong but I can't help but feel that something is. He's not acting right. He hasn't been for the past few days or so.

When I get out I immediately change and crawl into my bed. It's only 7:45, but being thrown against things all day really makes you tired. It's not surprising when I fall asleep and wake up at 4 in the morning. As much as I try to go back asleep, I can't.

As much as I tried to avoid it, I start thinking again. Of course it's about Alexander. I really hope that nothing's wrong. He's just acting strange...maybe it's just in my head. Because he's done it to me numerous times, I take out my cell phone and text him just to ask if he was okay. He probably won't answer until he wakes up anyways.

I close my eyes and actually begin to feel drowsy again before my phone buzzes on the nightstand.

Yes...want to ask one more time? Just to be sure?

I roll my eyes. Even at 4 in the morning, he's still the biggest smart ass ever.

I'm sorry for worrying about you! I guess I won't anymore, I text back.

I'm fine, he answers.

I don't believe you, I reply.

He doesn't answer for a minute but I stare at my phone for when he does. I can't say that I didn't expect the knock on my door. I don't even get up to answer it. He comes in anyways with the room key.

He closes the door and stands right in front of it. "See, I'm fine." He tells me with a smirk.

I swing my legs off of the bed and stand up. "Then why are you acting so weird?" I ask as I walk up to him. He immediately wraps his arms around my waist when I get closer.

"I'm not." He almost whispers. He bends his head down to where his lips are only an inch from mine. He's got an almost dazed look in his eyes, probably from sleepiness.

It takes every ounce of self control that I have to not just lean up and kiss that boy. God, how I have wanted to. There's no rule against it in our game but that would just make me weaker and probably make me admit to being in love with him. That's not going to happen.

For some reason I find it an instinct to wrap my arms around his neck. I still have to stand on my toes to do so. He brings one hand up to tilt my chin up towards him so I can see him perfectly.

"Hey," he says a little louder this time. "I'm fine."

"Okay." I say softly. Then, he softly brushes his lips against mine. It wasn't even really a kiss, but it was close enough to make my heart feel as if it is beating out of my chest.

He pulls his head away as if the semi-kiss didn't even happen but his arms still stay tightly around my waist. He rests his forehead against mine though his eyes are staring down at the floor.

He breaks the embrace and glances at me. "I-I have to go." He says timidly. He turns the handle of my door and rushes out. I follow behind him and see that he's almost jogging back to his room.

"Alexander." I say sternly but as quietly as possible. He turns and I see an expression that I don't think I've seen on him before. It's not really hurt, it's more pained. He looks like he's trying so hard to keep himself together. The expression looks foreign on him. His hand is on the handle of his door yet he stands waiting for me. "What aren't you telling me? Why won't you tell me what's bothering you?" I ask, pain coming through in my own voice. It's bothering me that he won't talk to me. Is he upset about something I did?

He just shakes his head. "I said I'm fine." He says in a shaky voice. He looks away as he turns the doorknob to his door and closes it shut behind him.

Sorry for the late update and not too great chapter. Haven't been feeling too good today. I still can't respond to comments for some reason but thank you if you are reading, commenting, and/or voting it really means a lot. Just seeing that I have one more read on this means a ton :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.4K 841 23
"The scars on my body, they don't even bleed. I never do this for me. The scars on my body, they don't even bleed. I only do this for you to see. " A...
30.3K 1.1K 25
There are two types of scar, a scar that can be physically seen, a scar that one can touch with their hand, a scar that everyone physically recognize...
381 23 22
Evasion from the past - please, don't look behind us, past is trying to catch up - just keep running, it's chasing you. -- Trigger warnings -- - Ment...