Chapter Twenty-Six

The cold metal of the doorknob stings my hand yet I can't seem to take it away. I can hear the scuffling and groans of pain outside my door but I'm afraid to open the door and look. As soon as I heard the first crack, I wanted to puke my guts out. How many loud, snapping cracks have I heard since I disappeared? Four? Five? I want to just open the door and scream at the two of them to stop. I can't. I'm not strong enough to do that. Now, I'm hiding away in my room crying my eyes out because I can't think of anything else to do. What Ian said was too much. I want to think he was lying so badly but I can't convince myself.

I can hear angered shouts and screams outside. Relief washes over me. Thank God someone found them and is stopping this mess. The hole in my stomach only widens when I hear the phrases "oh no" and "to the hospital". They had actually made out full sentences, whoever it was. My brain is so fuzzy right now that I can only pick out bits and pieces.

I can hear the familiar faint ringing of the elevator and the voices become fainter. However, more people are still outside my door. I can hear a guy's voice, which is strong and spitting with hatred. It's still familiar even under all of the anger. It's not too familiar but I can still remember it. Every now and then through the heavy insults, I can hear the slightest accent. Liam. It's Liam. I've barely talked to the guy. I didn't even know he stayed on this floor.

I let go of the doorknob. Everything will be okay. I just need to sleep. It will be alright in the morning.

Just as I start backing away from the door, I hear a thud as if someone was thrown against it. Without hesitating, I throw the door open and scream at the two people to stop fighting. I'm tired of hurting for one night.

Alexander lets go of his tight hold on the front of Liam's shirt and Liam scowls at him before shoving him back hardly. Alexander steps forward to make a move, but I scream at him to stop once more and he does. I don't even recognize the animal that he has transformed into. Blood is pouring from his nose and multiple scratches on his face. His left arm is twisted at an odd angle and there are streaks of red in his blond hair. I think I'm getting sick for a second. As soon as I think about turning back around, I stop myself. The only sick one here is Alexander.

He breaks down. He gets down on his knees, covering his head in his hands and lets out a low rumble of sobbing noises. Liam gives him a disgusted look before backing up to stand behind me. I'm glad he does. I don't want him to leave me alone with whoever this is in front of me.

"I'm sorry." I hear Alexander choke out through his mess of sobs. I can see blood drip onto the carpet below him, either from his nose or busted lip. I feel Liam's hand on my shoulder and he gives it a reassuring squeeze. I turn to him, and he looks genuinely worried. I nod my head and he sighs, giving Alexander one last glare before walking back down the hall.

I'm disgusted by him. This boy in front of me that is on the floor sobbing probably expects me to pity him. No, not this time. I've heard too much tonight.

He keeps saying the same thing over and over. "I'm sorry," he chokes out once more. I walk to where him standing directly above him and crouch down to where we are eye level.

"Look at me." I try to say as strongly as I can. My voice still quivers a little. But he does as I say. He takes his head out of his hands. Tear marks are now streaking down the dried blood and scratch marks on his face. He looks pitiful.

He shakes his head. "I'm sorry." He says. All I noticed when he spoke is the blood that is filling his mouth from the busted lip. "I-I've messed up big time and I don't expect you to forgive me. I just want to give you an-"

"An explanation?" I interrupt. Hot tears now spill over and streak down my own face, splattering on the floor. "The only explanation that I wanted is what I got. I know why you've been so off and strange. If you didn't want to see me anymore you didn't have to go behind my back and see whoever else it was."