A Healer's Pain: Celestial Wo...

By jtoughkat

When the gods go to war, it's their people who suffer. The moon was the most benevolent of them until they t... More

Tittle page
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
book covers
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
A/N
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Thirty-Nine ext
Ext 2
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-one
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Fifty-four
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-One

2.1K 97 8
By jtoughkat

TANIA

Huehuecóyotl.

Of all the ancient gods to come after her, why him? Better yet, why couldn't they leave her alone? And how had he found her?

"Don't worry yourself little godling, I'm here to help." He said as if he could read her mind, his face, well Leo's, showing all the benevolence of a cat. Affectionate, with an aloof mystery that put to question his intent.

If any other god had said that, Nia would've been wary but willing to go on faith. From Huehuecóyotl, it was a declaration of trouble. While he was known as a lucky god, reality was far from that. In modern times he had evolved into Coyote, his persona different for each Native American tribe for his own reasons, in all he brought nothing but trouble even at his best.

In his ancient form he scared the living daylights out of her. From her studies she knew he was less tolerant, wilder, more manipulative and troublesome. Huehuecóyotl was more dangerous for all his charm and easygoing demeanor. He was also the reason weres had dual identities.

"Why?" She dared to ask.

The hairs at the back of Nia's head rose as she watched him step out of Leo, leaving her as slowed down as the rest of the watching pack. He smiled again, his youthful beauty mesmerizing. Everything about him was sensual, an offhand sensuality that was more appealing for being unconscious. It was as if he was a tribute to carnal delights, drawing out the lust in everyone around him.

His brown skin was luscious, obscenely healthy, with a glow that held something in common with hypnotic snake skin. Wide brown eyes displayed a duality of innocence and terrible ancient wisdom, a conflict that was echoed in his midnight hair that radiated light and yet seemed to be the absence of it. The absolute perfection of his face seemed benevolent and yet threatened to kindle obsession inside her.

Nia found herself shuffling towards Lex, utterly freaked out by the god. She didn't want to face any sexuality and Lex would protect her from it. He'd promised she wouldn't have to deal with it until she was ready.

"Well, you know what most don't," he replied stalking her as she inched towards her mate, an amused look telling her he was aware of what she was about. "I'm the god of all shifting canids, while I favor the coyotes and let Selene have near exclusive rights to your kind, you are still mine."

Nia threw caution to the wind. Since he knew what she was doing, there was no need for pretense. She was scared out of her mind, alone with a being whose name meant old old Coyote, because yeah he was that old when he ruled/toyed with/befriended the Aztecs.

'Please snap out of it.' She begged Lex as she touched the hand not lashing out.

Her touch was like a trigger, springing him forward from his slowed state, reanimating everyone else in the process. He reacted by swinging his attack towards her. Overwhelmed by the turn of events and maybe frozen by the echo of her experience with Jake, Nia couldn't react as she should to the attack.

Mouth hanging open, unable to utter anything, she watched her mate attack her. 'Not again, please not again.' She begged, half lost in the memories that fought to surface. She couldn't handle another attack. Not from the one person meant to protect her above all else. A part of her knew as far as Lex was concerned he was still fighting his sister, but the human mate in her was lost to reason, caught in the inadequacy that had plagued her for the last two months.

Her eyes were glued to the anger in her mate's grey eyes, reminiscent of what had been in Jake's blue ones. Was it something in her that brought out some evil in her mates? Was she cursed in some way, maybe because she was a daughter of the moon? After all, her other children had been reviled and hunted to extinction. Even the gods had participated in that hunt. It wasn't so unlikely they'd cursed any future ones, even adopted.

Air rushed past her as horror replaced the anger in Lex's eyes. Guilt, pain and shame bloomed in his eyes. Nia felt the self loathing rising in him, ready to shatter his confident belief in himself. It was enough to pierce the veil of self pity that had descended on her. She couldn't let that happen.

Following an instinctive need, she flowed into his arms, holding onto him with the same desperation that crushed her to him. "I'm so sorry" he mumbled into her hair. "So sorry. I didn't..." he shuddered as he thought of what had almost happened.

Nia could still feel the self hatred battling to take hold of him and shook her head, as if that would deny it any hold. She had to get through to him before it found any purchase. "It was my fault," she soothed. "I should have known better. Please forgive me, you did nothing wrong."

Doubt slowed it, a pause that needed more than the simple words to displace what had the potential to mar their fragile relationship. Nia desperately sought the answer, aware she had few moments before despair overwhelmed her mate. She had been there, and it had taken finding her siblings to start drawing her and Lex to give her a doorway out of it. She would not let Lex drown in it, not over her unthinking mistake.

Like before, when she had gone to Lex and been engulfed with uncertainty, she kissed him. This time she knew better than to smash her lips, teeth and all, against his. She explored his lips while he stood frozen like before. Gave herself wholly into the act. Nothing else mattered except connecting to her mate. She needed him to know she belonged to him, reservation, insecurities and all. That she would stay and fight with him, for him.

He relaxed in her arms, kissing her back. She felt his soul marvel at her gift to him, accept and rejoice in it before he gave her the same promise. They were of one mind, delighting in the wonder of the bond intertwining them to a point they couldn't see where they ended and the other began.

Finally they knew what it was to be soul mates, saw the way all they were complimented each other that even as they were a duo, they made one being. It was an alignment that defied logic, bringing four awarenesses into one as their wolves rose to join in the moment.

"Well, isn't teenage love exciting?" Huehuecóyotl interrupted. "Such drama and passion."

They drew apart, eyes glued to each other, unwilling to let the moment pass. Once it was gone, the real world would reassert and leave a memory that would never be enough, could never be repeated.

"Who are you?" Alpha Darius demanded of the god.

The god smiled, unfazed by the power the Alpha had put into his voice. "A good question Darius." The pack held their breaths at the disrespectful address. No matter who you were, when on packlands you addressed the Alpha by his title. "You should ask your newly found godlings."

Nia clutched Lex at that. She had instinctively shielded her siblings, blocking their attempts to come to her. Maybe he didn't know who they were, maybe he was just guessing.

Huehuecóyotl turned his smile to her. "Ben, Cade, Lola and Rya. You do know my sister didn't just pick you at random right?" Nia held her breath, fear and excitement battling for dominance. "No, little niece, there are so many secrets flowing in your blood than are kept by any given god. You and your siblings are ingenious masterpieces, one of a kind."

Nia held onto her mate as if he were the only rock amidst the sea. Her truthsense told her Huehuecóyotl was telling the truth, just as he had been when he'd said he was there to help.

"What secrets?" She asked.

"Well, I'd have to get a sample of your blood, freely given, to deduce them. Do you trust me enough little godling?"

Lex' parents came to stand with them and both growled at the suggestion of her giving the god her blood. Huehuecóyotl laughed as if it was the most delightful joke he'd ever heard.

"Well then, I'll just help in another way." A sly smile graced his face and Nia drew closer to her mate, the Alpha pair stepped closer to the god. Huehuecóyotl waived a negligent hand towards Nia and she felt something being drawn from her. She gasped, Lex growled low and lunged at the god but Nia grabbed him in time to stop the suicidal act. "Now you don't have the former Eastaungffe Alpha's scent on you. You may thank me now."

"Thank you?" Lex ground out, incredulous.

"You're welcome." The god replied as if he were oblivious to the anger in Lex's tone. "Although, now that I think about it, I rather prefer you owing me a favor, nothing onerous. Just some small something in the near future."

"A favor? We didn't ask you to do anything." Lex growled in reply, his wolf showing in his eyes.

"Well, you were both torn up by it. So glad I could help."

Alpha Darius pulled Lex back this time, thrusting him behind as he once again tried to attack. "What do you want?" He demanded.

"Well now, that's a long story." The smirk on his face dared them to ask, but no one moved or said anything. The pack and even the other Alphas looked to Alpha Darius to see how he would react. Lex's father held the god's gaze, his stance ready to defend any of his pack, though he had to know he would never be a match. "Well fine, be that way." The old, old coyote said with a mocking pout, then grinned with all the enthusiasm of a two year old who'd just made his first mud pie. "Don't worry I'll tell you anyway."

The old god drew himself up and took the pose of a master story teller about to embark on the grandest of all tales. His eyes shone with glee and a mysterious smile slowly bloomed on his face. "It all started a decade and a half ago when you took in the one person in existence as dear to me as, well me. Although maybe slightly less coz really who can value someone as much as themselves, well maybe a mate but I've never been blessed with one. Anyway...."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.6K 324 32
"Nerd" "Fat" "Worthless" "Loner" "Ugly" "pathetic" These were just some of the things Maze Skylar Grey heard her fellow classmates say about her mos...
168K 4.7K 35
Highest Ranking ~^~ #1 in DarkMagic ; 14/05/2019 #2 in DarkMagic ; 13/05/2019 #72 in Werewolf ; 23/09/2017 #79 in Werewolf ; 07/1/2018 #16 in Element...
138K 2.8K 43
There is a great mystery surrounding a lone she-wolf who wanders the northern mountain on the outskirts of Griffin pack territory. No one knows where...
497K 6.3K 16
To read the full book please see the info below: What a wild ride this has been with almost half a million reads! However, It is now time for me to e...