BLOODLUST

By CarnelianCrownedLady

To be fixed to marry someone you do not love is a curse far more worse than death itself. As I run away from... More

Women of the Night
The New Neighbors
Distraction
Everybody's Turning Point
Early morning Conclusions
Amnesia
Stranger in the Park
Absence of men in the Family
Bedtime Story
Weirder by the Day
First day at School (First Half- Detention)
First day at School (Second Half- Kyle Dawson)
Vampire Hunter
The Date
Healing Cuts
I better pack my Bags
Remembering What's Used to Be
Traveling to Prague
Meat Cravings
Memories of 1999
Wrong side of the Fence

Knowing him and his Roots

465 18 15
By CarnelianCrownedLady

Chapter 16: Knowing Him And His Roots

I looked at myself in the mirror.

With a blade on my hand, I held the tip against the side of my face.

I closed my eyes and slowly, I pushed it deeper in my cheek.

I felt the sharp sensation of the pain as the warmth of my blood slowly dripped down my jaw.

The knock on my door brought me back to senses as I wiped my face down, closely looking at how fast my cuts heal compared to my aunt Bertha.

“Come in.” I said while throwing the damp cloth to the laundry basket. I turn around to see Kathy in a flashy pink outfit that yells ‘I wanna get laid tonight!’.

“Oh Megan you look so fab. I knew a beige bandage dress would make you look like a woman.” She giggled excitedly and grabbed my hand to drag me out of the door and down the stairs.

“I’ll bring her back before midnight Mrs. Miller!” She yells as she waves at my mom and my aunts. As they said their goodbyes.

The music in Kathy’s car blasted extra loudly in her stereo. She told me it was Paramore who sang it. I thought Paramore was an odd name for a girl but later she told me it was a the name of the band and the singer’s name is Hayley.

I liked how she sang. We rode to their song; Ignorance, as Kathy sang with it. Later on I started to have thoughts on who’s hosting the party we’re going to.

“Um, I think you haven’t told me whose party we are going to.” I spoke as she lowered the volume of her speakers.

“Would you come with me if I told you?” She answered with a mischievous smirk plastered on her face.

“What are you talking about?” I ask plainly. “I don’t think anyone can stop me from going to this party. This is the first one that I’ll be going to since I can remember.”

“You’re right. I’m sure you’ll love it. And oh, I almost forgot. Here’s your gate pass. This party is invitations only so you better stick to me while we’re entering the house. You’ll be coming as my date, because the only ones who wants to date me are freaking douchebags.” She said, handing me a shiny gold card that somehow reminded me of something.

“Hey Kathy. What do this sign mean? It’s like a rising sun.” On the card was a message. ‘On his eighteenth birthday, do enjoy the night.’

“I don’t exactly know but I think it’s their family’s emblem. You’ll see a lot more of that when we get it in.” She said as she slowed down and parked on the side of the street where cars lined up.

“Who exactly are we going to attend?” I asked as I came out of the car door.

“Wait and see.” She said as she took my hand and we walked straight to the tall gold colored gates with all the other guests. We went past the two huge bald men in suits after we showed them our gold cards, got our purses checked and our names verified from the guest list.

I could see familiar faces from school like Therese Connors and her date Reece Dragomir but most of them I do not recognize. As I looked up to see how beautiful the interior of their house is, I saw a huge carving of the emblem beaming with dimmed yellow light just above their white painted porch.

The ivory pillars, the white marble balusters, the white tiled floors, everything is sparkling and squeaky clean. Despite the darkness of the night, their house shined a million times brighter than our house in the light of day.

The owner of this house must be someone with a great taste in architecture and modernism. Too bad my mom and my aunts love classical and vintage too much as to make our house look like a haunted mansion. I thought as I my eyes wondered in awe for such beauty.

As I walked with my face almost parallel with the ceiling, I bumped into someone and nearly tripped. Partly it was because of the overly polished stone pavements but mostly it was because of the incredibly high heels that I somehow managed to deal with. Thankfully, the guy who bumped into me had caught me in his arms.

His jet black hair was neatly combed and his baby blue eyes reflected the sparkles of the chandelier inside the living room. Moreover, his scent empowered me like something I’ve never smelt before. As he helped me plant my feet on the ground, my nose got nearer and nearer to his clavicles.

I held the urge of gripping onto his shoulders to inhale more of the addictive scent. As I took a step backwards, I told him how sorry I was. It was then that I realized it was him; Kyle Dawson.

My mouth opened and closed like a fish out of the water, destitute of air. I didn’t even recognize him. I didn’t know he could clean up this… this perfectly. His face looked fairer, maybe because of the white tuxedo and the absence of his hair falling on his face. His lips had a smile that showed genuine happiness, unlike the one he wears when we’re at school. He was different. Different in the best way he can be.

He laughed at how I reacted. When he did I thought I could say something to tell him off again but then again, I was left speechless with the beautiful sound of his giggles.

“I knew you’d come. God! I had a huge feeling that you won’t but deep down I know you’d come. I knew it!” He spoke like a five year old unwrapping an awesome gift.

“Honestly, I didn’t even know you’d be here.” I hid my feelings of admiration in a plane straight face.

“You didn’t know I’d be here?” He was laughed again. “Okay, I get it now. Kathy didn’t tell you?” He added. And all I could do was shake my head in confusion. “Well then, at least you could just greet me a Happy Birthday.” He said as he winked at me and open his arms in a it’s-all-mine gesture.

“I’m so sorry I didn’t know. I, I just came here to go with Kathy and, and… I really didn’t know.” My embarrassment was unmasked and I bet I was burning red.

“Hey, don’t worry about it.” He placed his hands on my shoulders and shook me playfully. “Come on, my mom’s about to make her speech.” He offered his elbow and I took it as we stepped up to the porch and walked towards the living room.

People started gathering around, I noticed that they were all looking up the staircase and I did so too. A woman in a shiny mint green dress walks down the stairs. She was dazzling with emeralds even in her jet black hair. I suppose she’s Kyle’s mother.

“Good evening.” She greeted and smiled. No wonder where Kyle got his beautiful smile. “Tonight we are here to celebrate my beloved son’s eighteenth birthday. You all know my son,” She gestured to Kyle and he stood on the first step of the stairs without letting go of my hand. He waved at them and flashed his adorable happy smile that shouts innocence in every way. It was just my initiative to pull my hand off. “I still remember the times when he was seven when he kept on asking me to pass the family crest to him because of the sudden death of his father. My son Kyle has finally grew up to be of age to inherit the family crest. Kyle honey, I know your father would be very proud of you.” She spoke with words that hid deeper meanings that had me curious.

She stepped down the white carpeted staircase and handed Kyle a small black velvet box. Kyle took it and took out a golden pin, the size of a penny and his mom pinned it to his crisp white collar. The crest was the same rising sun that was on the gold card, on the front of the porch, on the coffee table and on the pendulum clock that stood beside the white piano.

“You’re a big boy now honey. But whatever happens, remember that you’ll always be my baby and you’re all that I have. So take good care of yourself. Running away won’t make you a coward, but a survivor who would fight in the next battle. I love you so much son.” She talked in a voice so soft that it’s almost a whisper but even in my distance, I could still miraculously hear. Kyle nodded and embraced his mom while everybody clapped their hands.

“Enjoy the evening!” His mom took a glass from a waiter and raised it. Everyone did so too except for me. I was just there left to wonder about what I just heard.

“Care for some cake?” Kyle asked.

“Um, yeah. Cake would be fine.” I answered plainly and we walked towards the dining hall.

Along the way we got stopped by Therese and Reece who greeted Kyle a happy birthday. Reece talked about Sanguine Sightings whatever her meant by it while Therese and I talked about how I got invited.

“I’m telling you Megan, Kyle likes you. Isn’t it obvious?” She asked as I was again left to shake my head in denial. She just giggled and bade goodbye as Reece lead her to the nearest table.

Kyle and I went straight to the long dining table where his mom and Kathy’s uncle George sat with his three other brothers. I’m starting to notice a very small world around this town. Uncle George noticed me and greeted me sending his regards for my mom.

Kyle’s mom might have noticed this so she stood up and asked who I might be.

“My name is Megan Miller.” I shook her hand. “You have such a lovely home Mrs. Dawson.” I gave her a genuine compliment that lit her face in an instant.

“The girl has great taste in architecture.” She said, turning to the men as they agreed to her like suitors waiting for approval. “Come, Megan. Sit with us.” She gestured to the chair in front of her. I sat having no choice but to abide. “Kyle, have someone to bring Megan some cake and drinks will you?” She ordered and Kyle disappeared behind me.

“I haven’t seen your face around here before.” She commented.

“Maybe because my family and I have just moved from England. We’ve been here for quite less than a month.” I answered. A waiter placed a plate of a thick sliced cake in front of me as Kyle sat beside me.

“I have indeed noticed the accent, It’s kind of hard to miss in a place where no one speaks the same way as you.” She giggled and turned to her men, almost instinctively they did the same. “Does your mom and dad like staying here in Detroit so far?” She asked.

“I’m living with my mother and my aunts. Unfortunately my father has passed away, making it a reason why my mother had to leave London. She says the memories are just to unbearable to look at, she had loved him too much.” I suddenly felt comfortable telling her what my mom and my aunts told me about my past.

Mrs. Dawson was silent for a moment, seemingly remembering something from what I have said. I was about to break the silence but she spoke.

“I know exactly how that feels like honey. I bet your mother is a great woman.” She complimented.

“You bet she is.” Uncle George interrupted and the men laughed.

“What do you mean George? Max? Vince? Dale?” She asked her guests.

“Well, we’ve been dating.” Uncle George answered. An exchange of congratulations and compliments reigned on the table for Uncle George.  

The topic of Uncle George and my mom reached to marriage and children, I listened and laughed until I finished two slices of the heavenly vanilla and caramel cake. I noticed Kyle was getting bored of their conversation.

“Wanna tour around the house?” He asked and I agreed.

We went upstairs and in the hallway we stopped as Kyle introduced me to each of the portraits lined in the hall. “Do you know him?” He asked pointing to an old portrait that doesn’t seem to be an original antique but only a beautiful copy of an original. I shook my head.

“His name is Oliver Cormwell. He’s a member of the Parliament in 1649 when King Charles the first was sentenced to death. He himself signed the death sentence. Did you know the real reason why King Charles was beheaded?” He asked.

I didn’t know.

“They said king Charles kept a group of Vampires brides that he hid in a Castle far from his own. Do you believe in Vampires?” He asked.

I was just about to say no but the sincerity in his eyes held my words at bay. I couldn’t respond.

He didn’t need my answer, he just held my hand and continued to the next portrait.

“Oliver Cormwell had nine children, one of them is Elizabeth. This is her and her husband Jhon Claypole and their daughter Bridget.” He said as we walked to the third portrait.

“This is Bridget when she was thirty years old. She just gave birth before this portrait was done. In the same year Bridget passed away; leaving her child to continue our bloodline.”

His last statement shocked me. Kyle Dawson is a descendant of Oliver Cormwell who sentenced a King to death? I was left unable to speak my mind.

“And since then every child in our family that comes out of age is given the crest to continue our long running mission.”

“And what might it be?” I asked.

“To protect our people from Vampires.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

143K 5.7K 51
HIGHEST RANKING-1st in wedding! {23/05/18} & 1st in Laugh! {11/08/18} 13th in Romance! {03/12/18} Sequel to Mr Hulk's Jelly Bunny->Can be read as a...
75.9K 2.4K 33
I feel his lips on mine like the were ment for each other.it feels like the whole world has been waiting for this moment and it's just us in this wor...
80.9K 1K 58
{EDITING PROCESS} *BOOK ONE OF TWO* When a high school student named Davina Smith faces her senior year after a tragedy in her family, suddenly finds...
8.1K 228 109
His irises swirled slowly, an enticing pale silver against his stark black lashes. They illuminated slightly, so quick it was gone in a blink. He bro...