Lost of love- Completed

By 50shadesofblues

Longlisted for The Wattys 2018 Luxy Ara Starr very purposely goes by Lucy Little. Her true name is only a co... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Author Note
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Releasing this Thursday!
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Releasing this Thursday!
Book 2 is in the works
New Cover reveal!
New Cover reveal

Chapter 7

321 21 0
By 50shadesofblues

Chapter 7

"Wake up sleepy heads."

Lucy woke to find their positions had somehow twisted over in their sleep. Jace's heavy head now lay on her chest flattening out her already barely-there breasts. Lucy looked up groggily at the familiar voice to find Daniel Neil looking down at them in silent in inquiry. Her reaction was swift and instantaneous. With a rude shove to the weight on her chest, Lucy not only managed to dislodge the obstacle bearing her down but also topple Jace nearly off the bed.

"Hey!" Jace grunted, thankfully still disoriented by sleep.

Ignoring him, Lucy gave his dad a red-faced sheepish smile before rapping at Jace's head insistently to rouse him up.

"Ouch!" He grimaced sideways at her, but Lucy only nodded at a point over his shoulder.

"Dad!"

"I'd like to see the both of you as soon as you are decent," said Mr Neil, before backing out the door. Decent? Mortified, Lucy glanced swiftly down at her barely clad form and was relieved to find she was covered enough with the sheet. But Lucy was more than embarrassed at being caught in next to nothing. With only Jace and this sheet to bar her from view.

But while Lucy was all worked up in discomfort, Jace appeared unperturbed. No doubt he was used to getting caught in a compromising situation with a girl in his bed. With an impish smile her way, Jace scattered off the bed in a rush to get dressed to face his dad. Lucy moved off at a more sedate pace. Why had the Neil's returned so soon? They emerged from Jace's room, both holding hands with curiosity on their minds.

Stepping out into the living room, Lucy was surprised to find her own parents seated there but it was Daniel Neil who caught and held her gaze before nodding to Lucy's and Jace's still joined hands. Lucy released her hold on him. Flexing her fingers gingerly as if charred from holding hot bricks.

"Dad," greeted Jace, then on seeing her father there as well, he added on a quieter note, "Mr Little, sir, how are you?" He moved over to Lucy's mum to give her a warm hug.

"Dad? Mum?" Lucy exclaimed more in alarm than surprise. Her mum and dad being here could mean only one thing- that something was wrong! Seeing her mother's tear ravaged face, Lucy felt her heart clench in sudden fear.

Seeing them arrive, Mrs Neil excused herself to get more coffee. But Lucy was surprised to find Mr Neil rise too, heading to his son, he paused long enough to whisper something Lucy couldn't hear in his ear and then Jace was turning back to her, offering her a comforting smile that served more to alarm her than anything else.

"We're sorry to drop in like this, darling," said Mary Little, coming over to grasp her daughter's hands, leading her to a chair. "We... I, just couldn't wait. Honey, I need to know have you read the letter? Have you read your father's letter?"

The letter? That was why they were here? Lucy couldn't help breathing out a sigh of relief. Was that all? "Yes. Yes, I read it. Mum, you didn't have to come all this way for this. A simple phone call would have done. And so early?" Lucy couldn't help her disjointed questioning as she glanced out the window.

The sun was up but that meant nothing in summer. It was sunny all the time. Her glance at the clock told her it was just seven and that meant, her parents had to have gotten up way earlier to make the trip here. And, the Neil's had returned with them too? Lucy's suspicions were back.

Mary Little breathed a sigh of relief, then exchanging a quick glance with her husband, she turned back to Lucy to continue. "It's good that you have read the letter. Your brother has been found. You know about that then. It was such a relief," she broke off on a half sob, "It was such a relief, when they found him." Mary Little gasped out, reaching over to pull Lucy into a warm hug.

"I have been wanting to tell you ever since I found out, but the officials wanted it kept quiet. They were still trying to find out who was behind the kidnapping and now they know."

The look Mary Little sent Lucy's way then near broke her heart. "Mama?" Wrapping her mother back in her embrace, she raised alarmed eyes at her dad. But Patrick Little refused to meet her questioning gaze. He stared steadfastly at the carpet between his feet.

"It was my sister," sobbed out Mary Little. "Your aunt!"

Stacy Shubert was Mary's twin. They had been in the States together when Mary had met and married Knyte Starr. Stacy had helped Mary sneak away with Lucy, when she left Knyte. Stacy had stayed behind and over time, Mary had lost contact with her twin. Never once in all this time had anyone suspected Stacy Shubert's involvement in Blaze's abduction.

"Aunt Stacy abducted my brother?" Lucy couldn't help the incredulity that crept into her tone. Mary Little nodded her head mutely before tearing herself away and returning to her husband's side. She was openly sobbing now, and Lucy didn't think it was all because of her sister's betrayal. She lifted a questioning brow at her dad. This time Patrick Little, didn't shy away from her gaze. Instead he met it with tired heart-worn eyes.

"Stacy Shubert has been implicated in the abduction of your brother. The news isn't good Lucy," he said warningly. "Your brother is missing again, and Stacy has been found dead."

"Again?" Lucy gasped feeling her heart get clogged in her throat. She couldn't believe her brother Blaze, only just found was missing again. But she chose to address the other missing member of the Shubert family in her next words. "Aunt Stacy...dead?"

Living in the States, Aunt Stacy may have been Mary Little's identical twin but that was where their similarities ended. Mary was a homemaker while the tales Lucy and her sisters had been regaled with growing up told Lucy that Stacy had been anything but. She had been trouble from the very start.

This was easy enough to see for Lucy and her sisters, but Mary Little had never seen it. Stacy Shubert had been Mary's little sister. Younger by a few precious minutes but it had made all the world of difference. Stacy had been resentful of Mary ever since she had been old enough to understand that difference. It was clear enough to Lucy that resentment had only soured further over time.

Lucy widened her amber eyes with dawning understanding, "That was how they found him, wasn't it? After all this time, Aunt Stacy confessed, and that was how my brother was found."

Her dad's nod was abrupt. "Stacy wrote a letter and sent it in to the police. Our Melbourne police contact, the case agent we usually deal with, informed us of this development. You remember that time I had to head out to the city on urgent business with your mother? We had been called in to verify that development. Your mother was needed to attest that it was indeed Stacy's handwriting."

Lucy recalled that moment. "But that was a month ago." She couldn't help the accusing nature of her tone. "Your fathers, Patrick and Knyte both thought it best to not mention anything to you till we knew more." Mary broke off as muffled sobs racked her grieving frame.

She had lost not only the son she had only just been led to believe was found but a sister she had loved unconditionally her whole life. She lost her sister in more ways than one. Losing her in death was nothing compared to losing her in the withered love of an outright betrayal.

Knowing what Stacy had done, had torn the veil off her eyes. Mary no longer saw her as her beloved younger sister. All those memories she had of loving her little sister had been wiped out by this one unforgivable act. Stacy had torn away nineteen years of knowing her son. Nineteen years of loving him. That was something Mary couldn't understand and could never forgive.

"She never really told you all did she? Stacy never really said where my brother has been all this time, had she?" Lucy looked questioningly at her Dad, unable to face her mum's obvious anguish. Mary lifted distraught eyes u to stare at Lucy, but it was her dad who answered.

"No, she didn't." Her dad readily agreed. Lucy could tell he was feeling betrayed too, even though he'd never met Stacy either. Well, they now knew why she had remained so determinedly elusive all these years in breaking off contact with Mary and the rest of the family. Knew it and condemned her for it.

Mary Little's sobs were the only sound in the room for the moment. Lucy didn't know what to feel. Sad over the betrayal of a dead aunt whom she never met or sad for the loss of the brother she'd never known.

"They will find him Mary," murmured Patrick Little soothingly. "Now that they know it was Stacy, they will leave no stones unturned to find him."

"I will find him, mama," Lucy said with sudden determination. "I had already decided, I was going to use that ticket. I will fly down as arranged and I will find my brother."

It was as her dad had said, they now knew who had taken him. They were closer to finding her brother than they had ever been. It was time to close the case. To find her twin brother, Blaze and bring him home.

"No! I won't have you going. I won't lose you too, Lucy." Mary Little wrung herself out of her husband's arms to round on Lucy. But Lucy had already firmed her jaw in a way that told Mary what to expect. There was no dissuading her once Lucy Little set her mind on something. She was stubborn that way and it was a trait that both irked everyone who loved her and earned their admiration as well.

"Let her go, Mary," said Patrick seeing the militant light in her amber eyes. "It's probably time Lucy went down there and showed them just how a Little gets things done."

The gleam in his eyes met the spark in Lucy's and they both exchanged a vicious smile. Her dad had her back and just knowing that made her feel invincible. She would do this. She would get on that scheduled flight, go to San Francisco, meet her father, find her brother and haul his ass back home. Lucy beamed at her dad, feeling strangely siked.

Over at the kitchen, a discussion of another type was having a devastating impact though not of an equal in nature.

"Sit down Jace." Mr Neil said, then waited for his son to comply. Mrs Neil busied about putting a pot to boil in preparation of making coffee. The silence that ensued than was awkward for them all. But then the pot sang, and Mrs Neil rushed to pour it out and Daniel Neil took the opportunity to say his piece.

"Patrick and I have been best of friends our whole lives, so I believe I can speak for him when I say I don't like where this is going."

"And where is what going, dad?" The sardonic lift to Jace's brow should have been warning enough but his dad remained oblivious and blundered on.

"I am not stupid, son. I know what I saw," said Daniel Neil, "and while Lucy might be well enough as a friend, Jace. She won't do as anything more."

Jace was not stupid either, he knew his own worth in his dad's eyes. He was his parent's only child. A means to add on to their fortunes by securing a well-designed match. A match to would be heir to a fortune. It was their idea of what was best for him. He was not ignorant of their plans.

Fuming mad, Jace spat out, "What the hell, dad? This is my choice. Our choice. Lucy's and mine. It has nothing to do with either you or Lucy's dad."

"I raised you better than to speak back to me, son," Mr Neil replied shaking his head in disappointment.

"We don't need your approval Dad."

Jace came marching back out of the kitchen with much more aggression then he had gone in. Lucy stared up at him with some surprise but found herself caught up in his grip without ceremony. Lucy exchanged a startled glance with her parents but then found herself hoisted out willy nilly.

"Let them go, Patrick," Mary Little said, reading more into situation then Lucy's dad did. Her restraining hand on him stopped him from advancing even as Mary caught the nod of thanks from Lucy. "She'll be alright."

Jace's grip on Lucy's hand remained unrelenting and she was dragged on down to the beach and in her own rising fury she let him. It was only when he drew to sudden halt that had Lucy rocking right up against him, that she saw the intense hurt shining in his evasive gaze.

"Jace?" Her soft question was not answered. Instead Jace drew her along a few steps further to the edge of the beach where the oceans swept in to caress at their feet. Then without pausing he hauled her in right up against him and crushed her in tight.

Lucy melted readily in his warm embrace, silently offering comfort for whatever hurts ailed him. She wrapped her arms about him unhesitatingly. Murmuring soothing words as she clutched him closer still, needing the familiar comfort of his solid presence more than he needed her support.

Lucy burrowed into Jace's chest and bit back her own muffled cry of disappointment. She hadn't even realised it, but she had been extremely hopeful of seeing her brother again. Nineteen years apart was a long time, and Lucy had felt that joy of knowing he had been found. Finally! Her disappointment now was overwhelming. Made worse by her knowledge that it had been her own Aunt Stacy who had been behind the kidnapping. Lucy was shaking with the overwhelming sense of hurt and betrayal and was as unwilling as Jace to bring an end to their embrace.

They stood there wrapped in each other's arms, each secretly drawing on the other for the strength they didn't have. Yet both unwilling to share their burdens with each other, silently resolving instead to see to matters on their own. It was a long moment later, when Lucy was finally able to draw in a steady breath without the risk of a complete breakdown that she realised, she didn't want to do this alone.

That she didn't need to. She had Jace. The urge to tell him all was upon her, warring with a reluctance to spoil their quiet moment. Breaking away from his embrace was never easy.

"Jace...." Lucy finally, if still a little reluctantly, whispered.

He shook his head against her, still too caught up by his own dark thoughts to sense her own silent pain. He burst in, cutting her off from what she had been about to say. "No!"

"Jace"

"I said no! I am not giving us up. You and I are meant to be. This us" he said, indicating to the sexual tension that even now gripped them both, "isn't normal. What we feel for each other is so unique it will be stupid to try and deny it. We are meant to be, and I will prove it to all who try to deny us," Jace concluded vehemently.

"All?" Lucy asked confused, trying to wrap her mind about what he was suddenly saying. It all had a serious vibe of the Deja vu. Hadn't they just gone over this just the night before?

Lucy opened her mouth to question him again when he remained stubbornly silent. Then his stomach rumbled and using that as a timely excuse, Jace groaned out loud. "I need food. Let's go grab breakfast."

Then Lucy was being tugged back towards his house and told to wait outside while he ran in to grab his wallet and keys. Lucy didn't argue, not wanting to return to her parents this soon. She was still too raw over their news.

"Luce!" Hearing her name shortened in that familiar way, Lucy turned to sight the twins advancing on her. Clad still in their pj's, they had obviously disappeared for a morning walk and was only now returning, no doubt as hungry as Jace for breakfast. Lucy herself was feeling curiously flat in that regard. She didn't think she could stomach a bite at all. But she could do with a good cup of coffee.

"Is that mum and dad's car parked outside?" Cat asked eagerly, rushing up to Lucy and already knowing full well the answer to her question. "Are they inside?"

"Yes, they're in." Lucy murmured, unwilling to say more. The twins didn't linger but rushed past her to go greet their parents. Suddenly Lucy was eager to leave.

So, when Jace came rushing out, Lucy was quick to slip her hand over his open palm, accepting his possessive grip and then she was being rushed to the Range Rover and buckled into its plush seats before being driven off to the nearest cafe.

They took a booth furthest from the entry to get a little quiet where they could talk as they ate. Only they didn't talk. Neither of them really wanted to. They were each happier to simply ignore the looming clouds that hovered persistently over them and tuck into their first meal of the day with a sight more attention than was needed.

"Jace? Oh my god! Fancy seeing you here." The voice was vaguely familiar to Lucy and her quick glance at Jace to assess his winced-eyed reaction told her he was only too familiar with the sound himself. The brunette that loomed into view just over his shoulders commandeered Lucy's attention entirely.

It had been sometime since she last saw Celine Reeves. Not waiting for Jace's reply to her greeting, she went swiftly on, "Are you vacationing here as well? You should have told me you were going to be here this weekend, we could have gone together."

"Celine, how are you?" Jace murmured suitably with a markedly lack of enthusiasm that the petite brunette either blatantly refused to acknowledge or genuinely missed.

"Fine! Fine! Tell me, are you coming tonight?" She turned on him blithely.

Celine Reeves, Richard Reeves's sister didn't miss a beat when she leaned over to brush her reddened lips against his in greeting. It was a blunt maneuver on her part. As effective as tossing down the gauntlet when not sparing Lucy a glance and ignoring how Jace was gripping Lucy's hand, Celine flung herself at him moving swiftly to deepen the already revolting kiss. Jace jerked back, more out of instinct then actual refusal. He was still clearly moping over his own inner angst.

But Lucy had noted Jace's obvious displeasure and relaxed a little. If Jace wasn't happy to see Celine then she could do this. The urge to lay down some claims came upon her. Never mind it was her idea that they kept this a secret. The woman was pawing her goods and had to be stopped.

"Excuse me," Lucy said politely. "But could you get your lips off my boyfriend?" The questioned shocked her as much as it did Jace, but Lucy wasn't about to draw back from a fight if a fight is where this was heading. A swift glance at Jace's face told her he was simply happy at her timely intervention.

"Boyfriend?" Celine questioned in surprise with a raised brow. Her gaze narrowing not on Lucy as she had expected but on Jace. Lucy's own gaze turned questioning on him.

"I can explain," Jace muttered uncomfortably.

Lucy looked in askance at the two not happy with the way things were going.

"It's not what you think, Lucy," said Jace placatingly, reading her tight expression right.

"Celine and I are engaged, but it's a paper engagement prepared and signed by our parents. A promise to use the two of us to unite our families. Not happening. It's why Dad was so unhappy about us," Jace explained then gestured wildly between Celine and himself, "We are not at all in anyway engaged."

"Your dad was unhappy about us?" Lucy questioned, tugging her own hand away from beneath his grip. Then the more pressing question robbed her of her next breath, and on a high incredulous pitch Lucy uttered, "You're engaged? To be married? To her?"

There was an awkward pause after that as Lucy stared at Jace with the pain of betrayal clear on her face. First her aunt, family and now Jace, her best friend. Jace? Why had he never told her about this?

The one person in the world who had stood by her through everything. How could he? Was there no one left she could trust? Her chest hurt feeling strangely tight as Lucy stared at Jace accusingly. The blur of tears hovered threateningly but Lucy gritted her teeth.

Not about to give in to any more weakness then she already had. But then again, she couldn't fall any further, Jace being the lowest point she could have stooped to. What did it matter if he caught her bawling her eyes out over him now? She'd already made a fool of herself falling all over him.

"Oh, darling, how could you?" pouted Celine prettily in a question to Jace. Jace merely shook his head not responding to either Celine nor Lucy.

But then Celine laughed out loud as if it was all the greatest joke. Lucy didn't get it. She didn't get Celine's ilk and their strange sense of humour. It was not the first time Lucy had been caught the odd one out when it came to Jace's other friends. But it was certainly the first she was knowingly the butt of the joke.

"I don't understand," Lucy muttered unhappily. Celine chose to ignore her altogether while Jace kept his gaze deliberately averted from Lucy.

"So, I'll see you tonight babe," Celine continued flirtatiously, as if Lucy had never spoken and just like that, like always, Lucy was set aside.

"I will be there and Lucy too. Lucy will be my date." Jace said either completely oblivious to cat claws flexing all about him or completely unperturbed by it. Turning to meet Lucy's gaze then, Jace added, almost softly, "Our first." And why wouldn't he be, having had everything he ever wanted his for the taking, there was no reason to assume Lucy would be any different.

Lucy sat there fuming, unwilling to make more of a spectacle of herself then she already had by falling in line with Jace's scheming. She blinked back the unbidden tears at his betrayal appalled that he told Celine it was their first date.

It eroded what little sense of security Lucy felt in them being a couple. It was apparent Jace did consider Celine as his friend. Perhaps even a good friend like her playboy brother Richard was to him. Perhaps even a friend closes enough to be a fiancée, like his father and Celine's intended.

The Reeves and the Neil's were old money. Two powerful families that have made it big generations ago. If anyone could be accused over riding the luck of their fore fathers, it would be true of the Reeves and the Neil's. As the bachelor sons of such prominent families, Jace and Richard graced the covers that every society magazine.

They were heartthrobs to every infatuated woman out there. It was often that Celine posed right there alongside them, even going so far to snag cover features on her own. Women wanted to be her, just as they wanted to bed her brother and his friend. They were all to some degree besotted by the Reeves siblings. Lucy couldn't see the attraction.

So, they were both hot to look at, they smelled of old money and they dated celebrities but that was nothing that held any interest with her. As far as she could tell, Richard and Celine are just brats. They were the poor company Jace kept when he was not hanging out with the Little family.

Lucy, as a rule, kept her distance from Jace's friends and not just because she didn't share anything in common with any of them. Lucy still recalled her one to one with Richard at her sixteenth birthday party. She had already been rattled enough with Jace's friends pounding on his room door.

And then to bump into Richard right after she clambered out Jace's bedroom window after receiving her first kiss from Jace, Lucy had been thrown out of sorts and Richard had been right there waiting, as if expecting her. Had he known? What Jace and Lucy had been doing? Lucy had averted her gaze as soon as she'd spotted him leaning against a tree close by. Refusing to acknowledge him as she made to move past, for even back then Lucy had already heard plenty about Richard's reputation. Jace had nothing on Richard, when it came to who was the bigger player. And that was not all Richard was, he mingled in shady company, with Jace being the sole exception.

"Happy Birthday Lucy. Happy Sweet Sixteenth," Richard had said in his deceptively quiet tone.

Lucy had paused midstride then, finding his greeting difficult to ignore.

"Thank you," she'd replied softly, reluctantly raising her gaze to meet his dark glittering ones. He only nodded silently in acknowledgement and watched her walk swiftly away.

But that had been three years back. They had not crossed path's since but the memory of that one meeting had been enough. Till this day, Lucy didn't know why he had singled her out to wish her a happy birthday. None of Jace's other friends had. They had all ignored the fact it was her party that Jace was throwing at his place.

With a shudder over remembered past, Lucy was more certain than ever that she was not looking forward to meeting Richard that night. No doubt he had never spared her a thought since, nevertheless meeting him did not inspire confidence in her. And to turn up there, at Richard's house on the arms of his sister's fiancé was just asking for trouble.

Lucy found she could no longer stomach her breakfast. Her appetite had gone. She looked over at Celine who was laughing happily at something Jace said and watched his eyes light up in enjoyment. He liked making her happy. It pleased him which is more than can be said over his reaction to Lucy's unhappiness. Could he be so dense? Had he even noticed? Lucy watched on aghast as Jace waved over a waitress and asked for some more coffee with a friendly wink. Did he have to flirt with everyone? Even now, with a girlfriend on one arm and a fiancée on the other?

"Lucy, what are you wearing tonight?" asked Celine abruptly, putting Lucy in the spotlight.

"I have no idea," Lucy breathed out softly, if a little stiltedly.

"We're going to drive into town and get her something awesome to wear," said Jace, which was news to Lucy. At what point had they decided on this course of action?

"Ooh, you should try Romano's they have the most perfect dresses," beamed Celine down at Lucy as if ecstatic that she was getting a new dress. Why would she be happy? None of this was making any sense, and Lucy could feel a headache coming on. It was as good a reason to call Jace's bluff and simply walkout on this bizarre breakfast altogether.

Lucy smiled tightly in reply. She could just envisage the night ahead. On further thought, Lucy could foresee her entire future and it was not a pleasant outlook. She rose abruptly from the table.

"Lucy?"

Ignoring Jace's concerned sounding call of her name, Lucy made a feeble excuse to get away, "I... um... I'm going for a walk."

Not waiting for a reply, she took off, out the cafe and down the street.

Lucy was disappointed that Jace hadn't cared enough to come after her and it sure put a new perspective on what she experienced in his arms last night. Was it all just lust though? Lucy had been sure it had been so much more. Just went to show what she knew.

Lucy walked on just in a straight line not knowing or caring over where she was heading. But she felt certain each step she took brought her closer to a decision she could live with.

It must have been close to twilight that her footfalls finally found her back at the cottage and Lucy was not surprised to find Jace already there. But she was surprised to see Celine was still there too and having tea with a beaming Mr and Mrs Neil. Instantly, Lucy felt unwanted. The third wheel throwing a spanner to their plans.

Of her parents there were no sign. Had they gone back? Lucy turned towards the twins but found Emily looking stonily away while Cat looked equally lost. It was clear, none of the them wanted anything to do with her. It was also clear Lucy had burnt her bridges through no fault of her own. Even Jace looked annoyed with her.

Hurt and confused Lucy excused herself deciding to head off to pack up her belongings Jace's room.

"Aren't you having any tea, honey?" asked Mrs Neil. Was she pretending to care? Or was she really concerned? Lucy couldn't tell anymore. She hadn't eaten all day but with all that had happened, Lucy was far from getting back her appetite, so she only shook her head in silent reply.

"Are you sure, honey? You're looking a little peaked."

"She's fine, mum. If she says she doesn't want anything then leave her be." This coming from Jace prickled her eyes. But Lucy didn't show weakness. "I am not hungry."

Ignoring the heat of his stare rolling off her back, Lucy walked steadily on only to come to a sudden halt at the door to his room. Then inching forward, she paused at the bedside to stare down at a pretty pink dress that was still in its package and laid out across the bed. Jace had gone off with Celine, no doubt, to do the shopping without her. Well at least Celine had nice taste. Pity she won't be sticking around to wear it.

"What the hell?" exclaimed Jace as he saw that Lucy had started to pack.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Home ... I want to go home," Lucy said with a sudden vehement longing that she did want to go home.

Jace sighed heavily and sank onto the mattress beside her. Only he didn't go down alone. A swift tackle sent her sprawling alongside him. Falling back against its inviting softness Lucy was brought to realise her own tiredness.

She had been prickly all day, wired up by what she'd learnt about her brother and oddly afraid of what she'd learnt about Jace. Afraid of change, and now, afraid of losing him. Jace had been her pillar for so long Lucy didn't know how she could survive without him.

Feeling drained, Lucy allowed him to gather her to him. She rested her head on his shoulder and settled against him.

"Why are you behaving this way?" Jace asked finally, after the silence between them had stretched on endlessly.

"I don't know," Lucy said, for quite suddenly she really didn't. What had she been thinking? If Jace said he was not engaged to Celine, then he clearly wasn't. He would never betray her that way. Jace was Jace and her best friend for a reason and it wasn't his sly tongue, his sardonic wit or his wicked grin that made him so. It was his trust in her and hers in him.

Jace threw her an incredulous look.

"I don't want to go to the party tonight," Lucy then admitted. She may fit like a glove with Jace but that world of glitter and glamour of his, grated on her nerves like terrible.

"I know. That is nothing new," he said, this was not the first time Lucy had refused to mingle with his friends. "You've never wanted to meet my friends. I thought we were going to give this a try. Give us a try. You'll have to meet my friends and I yours for this attempt to at least have a chance."

He had it easy. Lucy had no friends other than him. Between Jace and the twins, she'd had her plate full when it came to friends. She was just not type to open herself up to just anybody. How Jace managed to get under her defences, Lucy still didn't know.

"Your parent's hate me. Are you sure you want to do this? It's not too late to back out." Lucy offered breathing in his luxurious scent. He was all that was male and enticing. It was all she could do not to lick her lips in anticipation. Shivers broke across her skin even as his hands carelessly brushed down her back in a soothing caress.

"They love you. How can they not? They have known you for just about forever. You know they love you Lucy. You know." Jace reminded her forcefully.

Guilt ate at her. She did know that. How could she have doubted the Neil's so?

"It's just that they love money more," Jace added drily. "They love money more than they love you or me."

"I don't understand."

"D'Neils fashion line is in trouble. We have been in trouble for a long time now. I've told you about this."

"Yes, you said the Reeves stepped in to help out."

"Richard loaned us money for the Fall Fashion line. Money, we are having a hard time paying back. Richard even stepped in to helm the project. But that was three seasons' ago, we haven't recovered, and Richard has become a permanent fixture at our offices. Personally, I think he enjoys all the attention from the models, but I could be wrong." Jace laughed carelessly, seeming not at all perturbed by the fact that he was heading towards financial ruin.

There was nothing frivolous about Richard Reeves. Despite his hard-edged playboy image, Richard had a sense of maturity about him that went beyond his years. He stepped into the helm of his family business in his early twenties to not only pull the Reeves out of financial ruins but to boost them back into the billions they were so famous for.

The Reeves Shipping line thrived under Richards stewardship and it was only a matter of time before the Neil's saw the same turn of events with their fashion house.

"Dad thought, it would be a great way to pay off his debt to Richard. Marrying me off to Celine would clear the debt and that would loosen more funds to help shore up the business. I was counting on the summer sales myself. But from the last report, we were still far off the mark from what is needed."

Hearing his side of the matter made Lucy feel guilty in doubting them at all. He seemed geared towards making them work. Was Lucy just searching for excuses to bail the hell out? She didn't want to be the reason they never happened as a couple. But a niggling suspicion had her asking.

"How well do you trust Richard? I mean does he want you to marry Celine? Was it his idea?"

From what Lucy knew of the Neil's they would never have thought of such a diabolical plan. Marrying Jace off to Celine to pay off their debt was out of character. And now that Lucy was once again thinking rationally, she could see that.

"I trust Richard, just as much as I trust you, Lucy."

That had Lucy jerking her head up to stare at Jace. He was in earnest. Jace really believed in his friend Richard. A friend Lucy didn't think was at all trustworthy. Not if all she read about him in the tabloids were true. Not because he had malicious intentions towards his best friend Jace but because he was ruthless in getting what he wanted. The question was - did he want Jace marrying his sister? If so, would he falsify the D'Neil's financial results to make that happen? He seemed to be in the perfect position to make things happen.

"Okay, I'll go to the party tonight," Lucy said finally. Perhaps, it was time she stopped skirting round the world Jace lived in. If only so that she could get a better idea of what Richard Reeves was really like. "It's a pretty dress. Thank you."

"Yes! I knew you'd see things my way," Jace loomed over her to drop Lucy a sweet smile before lowering his head to nuzzle at her neck.

"Did you really have lunch?" He asked against her neck and Lucy shook her head, feeling suddenly hungry.

Jace sighed again before easing up on his forearms to mock glare at her. "I want you to make sure you eat. Can't have you fading away to nothing, can I? Then who will I kiss? "

And before Lucy could answer, his lips came down onto hers, creating a rush of desire that had her wounding her arms and legs about him to clutch him close.

"You guys are disgusting!"

They rocked apart in shock to face Emily marching into the room. Moving past them she slammed the bathroom door shut.

Awkward.

But it set Lucy thinking. Did she know about what happened? That their aunt was dead and that she'd been the one responsible for Blaze's disappearance? Or was she just upset over Jace?

"Come, let's go find you some food."

Then Jace was hauling Lucy up and tugging her off to the kitchen where he set about putting together a sandwich.

It was hilarious watching him slap together an edible sandwich, but he managed, and it was delicious. Jace Neil was not without some skills in the kitchen.

"You know what they say about a guy who can cook?" Lucy queried with a raised brow.

Jace grinned, immediately knowing a pun that would place him as the butt of the joke was coming his way. His raised brow challenged her to get on with it and make it good.

"Great chemistry in the kitchen can only lead to great sex in bed."

All the oxygen sapped out of the room in a nanosecond. Somehow, that had sounded a lot funnier in her head then how it came out. And the way it came out... the way it came out was... sexy.

The sizzle in her blood never far at bay when it came to Jace now flooded back with a vengeance. Jace reached out across the counter, looming over her in an insistent manner that robbed her of all thoughts but him. Leaning down, he breathed hard down at her before saying almost weakly, "Lucy!"

Jerking back, Lucy offered a weak smile of her own before reaching for the lunch he made her and taking a big bite, chewing and swallowing it past the dry lump in her throat.

Lucy was given the bathroom prerogative to get ready first. Never having had a boyfriend before, Lucy knew instinctively her usual dress sense won't do. Simply putting on the dress Jace got her wouldn't work. She would need the whole works.

Makeup and hair. Even shorn as short as it was, there was still a lot that could be done with Lucy's hair. If only she knew how. Of the three of them, Emily was the best in that department. Lucy decided to rack up the nerve and simply ask for her help.

Wrapping up in a towel, Lucy surrendered the bathroom to Jace who made every effort to make her note his lascivious leering as he moved past her into the bathroom. Blushing furiously, Lucy dashed off to hunt for Emily.

Lucy found her getting dressed in Mr and Mrs Neil's room. Cat was there and dressed for the party. She threw Lucy a sympathetic smile before she bailed out on her leaving Lucy to talk to Emily alone.

"I know why you are here," said Emily beating Lucy to it.

"Do you? Jace told you about us?" Lucy asked wanting to know.

"He didn't have to. Mr Neil was venting spleen all morning the moment you took off with Jace. Everyone knows. What I don't get is why didn't you just say you and him, had a thing going? Why did you let me think I had a chance at all? You knew exactly how I felt about him. You knew and pretended to care," said Emily, tears rolling down her cheeks. Lucy couldn't stand to see her cry. Not when she was really hurting. She never could.

Taking the two steps forwards, Lucy had her wrapped in her arms in a tight embrace.

"I'm sorry Emily," Lucy whispered softly. "It wasn't like that between us. Not until recently. I didn't know. I would have told you if I thought this could happen. Please believe me, Em."

"No, don't be sorry. I don't blame you... not really. I just needed to vent a little you know," she said softly, leaning back to offer Lucy a warm smile. "So, what are you wearing? That little pink number that Jace was sneaking in earlier?"

Lucy nodded her head.

"Here, takes a seat. I'll do your make up for you," Emily smiled softly at her. "And while I am at it, we'll work something out with your hair. You should really think about growing it out now that you have a boyfriend. This tom-boy look is so old."

Then the great make-over began.

"There that should do it," Emily stated, returning the blusher back into its casing. Lucy opened her eyes to view the results and was amazed at what she saw. Her usual tawny eyes were smoking hot. A gleam of gold between slits of heavily lined kohl. Her lashes thick, dark and brushed out long. Her full lips were lush pastel pink and her shorn hair sleeked back in a smooth wave that only accentuated her blond sun kissed highlights and natural high cheekbones.

"Emily, you are incredible. I look... unlike me, " Lucy said finally, when her gaping mouth shut, and her normal thinking process resumed. Never in her wildest dreams had she ever seen herself looking like that. Lucy couldn't help staring at her reflection in awe. Not noticing even when her mouth fell open again in renewed shock.

"Yes, you do. You're still all you, don't worry. All I did was polish out the rough edges and bring out the sparkle in you. Now you better hurry and get dressed," said Emily with a smile. Lucy beamed back at her hardly believing her little sister was so clever. But knowing that didn't stop her guilt especially when Emily was being so matured about this.

"I want you to know, Emily. This... your helping me here, means a lot to me. I am sorry you and Jace didn't work out liked you'd hoped. But I thank you for supporting me for my hopes in us." Lucy tried a little uncertainly.

"I understand, Lucy. You tried to tell me he was not meant for me. I just got carried away as usual. I will recover, don't worry." Emily offered her a tentative smile.

"Em? What did mom and dad say to you and Cat?"

"Just that her sister is dead. But it's not as if we knew her or anything. I mean the woman has never deigned to show her face around here, has she? Or call even?"" Emily shrugged. "Didn't they tell you the same?"

Lucy nodded her head hesitantly. "Yes. Yes, they did."

"If you're worried that we were supposed to be in mourning, then don't be. Aunt Stacy left her family long ago. If she wanted us to mourn her passing she should have taken the time to get to know us and given us the time to know her. As it were, it was only mum's album of photos and the genuine knowledge of the lack of photoshop in that era that validated her existence."

This came from Cat, who's overheard their conversation and decided to join in. She moved to stand by Emily to stare down critically at Lucy's reflection in the mirror. Her lips pursed in deep consideration before she nodded her head. "Brilliant as always, Em."

Her twin beamed back at her proudly.

"Now if Princess Little is all ready, perhaps you could set your talents to me?"

Lucy grinned up at Cat, before moving to make way for her. Cat plopped down on the stool and promptly pulled out a book. Not looking up she added, "Right, Em! Do your worst."

Lucy and Emily exchanged a devious grin. Then Lucy moved away to leave them to it. Cat didn't have a vain bone in her body. She was the very last person to request Emily for her help on her hair. This was just her way of showing she cared. Glancing up to catch Lucy's gaze mirrored back at her, Cat added, "Enjoy your date Lucy. You deserve it. Just don't do anything I wouldn't."

The cheek! Lucy's grin widened. For the first time, she was starting to feel happy about Jace and her as a couple. Lucy left the twins to it and hurried off to finish her own preparations. Bolstered by new-found confidence Lucy all but skipped along to Jace's room where she had left her dress. She pulled out a clean pair of panties and bra and gasped as the bra was pulled out of her grasp. Lucy tightened her hold on her towel and trembled as she turned to face Jace.

"So hot. I wish I could take you just as you are. Take you to bed that is. No way you're going anywhere in nothing ...but ... a towel." He groaned out in frustration as he said this.

"Need a hand with the dress?"

Lucy glanced up to see that his offer was in earnest but shook her head no. "Thanks, but I can manage," she managed a little hoarsely.

"Good, because I don't think I could help you without helping myself first and then where would we be?" He raised a brow glancing pointedly at the bed.

Lucy turned red.

"Get dressed, luv," he whispered then, leaning in to drop a kiss on her cheek before walking out the door. Lucy rushed to shut it after him then moved to pull out her dress from its packaging.

It was beautiful and daring. Lucy had never worn a halter neck before and this one had a back that plunged down to the tops of her ass. Her panties wouldn't do. The cut was all wrong. Lucy didn't own a pair of thongs but rummaged about her bag for something she could use instead. It wouldn't do to go sans bra and panties. No doubt there would be plenty there who did but that wouldn't be her.

Lucy dressed quickly and finally, she slipped on a pair of low-heeled shoes. Looking in the mirror, the outfit practically screamed for some fuck-me-high-heeled pumps but that wasn't happening. Shrugging her shoulders indifferently, Lucy stepped out to join the rest in the living room.

"Babe you look as hot as f-"

Thankfully, he stopped right there. Lucy shifted uncomfortably under everyone's scrutiny. Then Emily got up abruptly. "Shall we go?" she asked.

"Let's go," agreed Cat, looking very stylish. Lucy could see Emily had already worked her magic over Cat. They were all looking amazing. But it was Jace who arrested her attention. Always immaculate, he had the added allure of being on edge. The double edge sword of their unfulfilled attraction rubbed him the wrong way. It was there in his gaze as he slowly drank her in. In a look almost insolent in its slow but thorough appraisal.

Lucy tore her own gaze away feeling more than usually hot and bothered for the encounter. She walked past him and felt more than heard his breath catch at the sight of the low back to her dress. Lucy shivered. She felt half-naked but that wasn't why the chills ran down her spine and goosebumps broke across her skin. That was all the doing of Jace's sultry gaze locked on hers with a predatory light of possessiveness.

Lucy moved with a sensual grace. The feel of the silky texture against her skin, coupled with the bold design gave her a confidence she couldn't deny. But still she trembled inwardly, secretly fearing what she longed for most. Lucy paused at the door, turning her head ever so subtly to glance over her shoulders at Jace. Her voice unusually sensuous came out husky, "Are you coming?" She titled her head a bit so that he could see the pull at the corner of her lips as she bared her teeth in a half grin. But her pun fell flat when all he did was stare on intensely, shrivelling up her own desire to laugh in the wake of the heat flooding through her veins.

The Neil's waved them off and with the three Little sisters tucked in the car besides Jace, they were off covering the short distance to the Reeves lavish beach house. A modern designed open concept home overlooking the bay. The place was lit up and spilling over the cliffside with the loud music that rebounded off echoing out towards the seas. Jace tossed the keys to the hired valets and they all climbed out to make their way to the grand entrance teeming with people dresses to the hilt in glitz.

Lucy eyed the Reeves's home balefully but was happy to note that the place was packed. She could lose herself in this crowd and none would be the wiser. She could paste herself up against some wall and do what she did best ...be a wall flower.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

569K 3.3K 7
"Why are you following me?" She eyes me suspiciously, like she doesn't trust someone wanting to say hello. "I want to know your name. Mate." There...
9.6K 295 12
You have to read B1-4 to read this! • ~ Book 1: https://www.wattpad.com/story/89507260-jerrie-perfect-for-you-book-1-c • ~ Book 2: https://www.wattpa...
9.3K 437 36
*FEATURED on Wattpad's official MUSIC profile, in the "Exquisite Cellos (Romance)" reading list!* Emmaline scores the hottest tickets in NYC: a VIP b...
250K 2.3K 5
⚠️THIS STORY HAS EXPLICIT SCENES AND MATURE CONTENT. IT IS NOT ADVISED FOR THOSE YOUNGER THAN 18⚠️ Also, please be aware this is merely an EXCERPT fr...