The Mesh (Raura)

By OriginalityTheorist

#fanfiction On the day of his best friend's wedding, 21 years old Ross Lynch relives the past by meeting good... More

PART I : A Child's Reminiscence
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44

Chapter 9

751 47 16
By OriginalityTheorist

My father spots Colton just as he pushes himself in bewteen us, making him lose his grip on my wrist. I shudder in relief as my cousin stands in front of me, glaring at the drunk man.

"Colton. ", I let out a small sigh of exasperation. Thank you. I was hoping to get out of this situation. I was really scared.

"Go away. Don't come near her. ", Colton says coldly as he takes my hand and pulls me away from the man of my nightmares.

"She must know the truth about her precious mother. She's not much of a saint as she pictures her! ", father raises his voice.

"Whoever she was and whatever she had done means nothing to my heart. She was my mother and she loved me, that's all I care about. ", I say and wipe my tears with my free hand.

"Laura, let's go. ", Colton pulls me down the concreted path wet from the sudden pouring rain.

I cough and feel my lungs tightening. "Where are we going?"

"To my place. ", he answers and soon we are out of the cemetary and on the sidewalk, near the place Ross dropped me off.

Colton leads me to his car, worry written all over his forehead. I can't tell if he's angry or sad. It's a mixed confusion of emotions.

We drive away with the quiet music playing on the radio. My head leans against the window and I close my eyes.

Nobody asks me anything when we get there. Not even Kate, she just makes me coffee and puts it on the table in front of me. Nobody asks and I stay quiet, avoiding people for a while and missing my classes for a few days. Everybody gives me space and I am grateful for it.

I just wasn't mentally prepared to face anyone. My eyes rarely left pictures of my mom as I stared at them for most of the time. Fever didn't come down for about three or four days and I didn't even care enough to take care of myself. I couldn't.

Anna stayed every single night with me in the dorm room, giving me medicine and making small talks to try to let me know she's here. I appreciate it but I'd rather be alone. I wonder how she bought all these drugs when she's almost broke. Though she has a job, I am still surprised because she spends most of her money on her dates with Jasper.

What surprises me the most is that Ross never came. He hasn't come even once to visit me while I'm sick and I haven't seen him since the day he dropped me off at the cemetery. Not that I want him to come..well, I don't know.

What's his problem anyway? He tries so hard to make connections with me and then suddenly..stops. Maybe I secretly expected something of this friendship. I am not sure.

I just know that you can't be disappointed unless you care.

And I know that I am disappointed.

Drunk, blurry eyes of my father filled with venom and hatred flash through my mind. I shiver at the thought.

"How are you today?", Anna asks me as she enters the room.

I cough and wrap myself more in my blanket. "A little better. "

"Good. Let me check on your fever. ", my friend tells me and drops her bag with books.

Warm hand touches my forehead and I close my eyes. I hate being a burden to her. I hate this situation in which I can't forbid her to take care of me because I am just weak.

I hate attention.

"Your fever's come down. Good. I brought you a lemonade. Drink it up. ", her concerned voice makes me accept her little way of caring and I take the plastic cup from her hand.

"Thanks... ", I mutter under my breath, whispering as quietly as possible.

The brunette doesn't say anything as she drops to the bed opposite from mine.

"So.. something interesting happened today. ", Anna begins.

I remain uninterested in her story until she mentions a certain name.

"So Ross' bitchy girlfriend came to our campus, searching for him like a mad maniac. She went up to me and asked me where he was. I just shrugged because I didn't know. The ginger head muttered something like 'cheating bastard' and I don't know what else. ", Anna babbles about it and I picture Ross' face in my mind.

She continues. "Later that day, Lexi and I went to get coffee at S&S, the usual. When we finished and went out, Ross and the ginger head were there yelling at each other. Actually, she did more yelling than him. He just tried to ignore her and exploded a few times, when he couldn't take it anymore, I guess. She threw some papers at him and ripped a few. He just stood there shoked and then cursed her off, picking up the papers and rushing away. She said something like 'fine go to her if you think you're gonna get into her pants that way' and Ross just ignored her and got into his car. Me and Lexi were like 'what the hell'. I don't think he noticed us though. "

I sink into my covers. "So he's planning a new hookup? Good for him. Lydia has damn mental problems anyway. "

"No. I don't think it's like that.. ", Anna trails off as if she knows something I don't know.

I shrug. "I don't care. "

Two days pass and I feel better already but I don't go to my lectures again. Just one more day.

I took a shower and walked back to my dorm room. I sigh as I drop myself on my bed.

Mom's picture lies on the nightstand next to the coffee Anna made me this morning. I stare down at it.

I don't get it. Why would my father do something like this? It's completely unreasonable. I just.. I feel nothing.

I know I was little and I didn't get the backstory. Everyone was nice and I found everyone a good person. That's just how a kid's brain functions.

I wish I was just a little older back then so I could understand our true situation. It bothers me to think that I'll never know the full picture.

I guess it wasn't all sunshine and flowers. Every happy tale has a sad ending afterwards. We don't know what happens to the characters after the end. There's always an after.

Because even if the book is over, the story never ends.

What's your story, mom and dad?

I stare down at mom's picture with a nostalgic feeling raising in my bones. I take a sip of my coffee, my lips trembling.

"I wish I could speak to you now, at least one more time, mom. I feel torn. I don't understand a thing and I miss you. I don't know what's right and what's wrong anymore. ", chin lowers and the look in my eyes saddens.

I hear a knock on the door, which is weird because nobody ever knocks. Neither Anna or Lexi. I look back at it.

"It's open. "

The wooden door moves, breaking a barrier and revealing the person behind it.

"Hey. ", Ross' face is apologetic as he comes through.

I stare at him wide eyed. "Hey. What brings the blondie here?"

Ross walks up to me slowly. "How are you feeling?"

"Better. "

The backpack in his hand opens and he pulls out a bunch of papers. "Here. I brought you this. "

"What is that?", I take one in my hands and throw a glance at it, then at his face.

"Notes from the classes you've missed.", he scratches the back of his head.

My heart beats faster, I don't know why I'm excited and..pleased? "Did you write all this?"

I look at him in disbelief.

Ross hesitates for a second but meets my eyes and confesses. "Uh, yes. I didn't mean to come here and bug you because I know you want to be alone for a while and I was gonna give them to Anna so she could bring them to you but she was busy, so sorry if you didn't want to see anyone at the moment. I just.. "

Laughter explodes from my mouth. I suddenly feel overjoyed as I laugh at his senseless mumbling. He steps back and I look at him with adoration in my eyes.

"Thank you. ", I say it to him and mean it. Ross looks taken aback but gives me the biggest smile I've ever seen from him.

"That's a second one for me. Ross 2, other people 0. I win in the 'Laura saying thanks to other people' game. ", he exclaims happily.

I raise a brow. "You are something else. "

"Do you want to go get coffee or something since you're feeling better? It's on me. ", Ross asks as I fold the papers on my desk.

"Not that I haven't just finished one cup but..okay. "

We exit the dorm room talking about random stuff and I find myself enjoying this time. I feel better and I am glad I had a few days to recover.

"Ross. ", I say quietly as we exit the campus.

"What?", he looks back at me.

"You're not so bad after all. ", I barely confess and look away.

And maybe, just maybe, I consider you a friend. True friend.

°°°°°°°°°°

There's another one!

I hope you enjoyed it. Vote and comment for more. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

120K 3.7K 28
it's been six years since the austin and ally cast have seen each other as a whole. it's also been six years since ross got over laura. or so he thou...
10.7K 404 15
WARNING: Very sad. Read at your own risk. You might even wanna smash your house. ~~ Ross and Laura are Boyfriend and Girlfriend. They faced tough tim...
17.7K 902 18
Crush- a burning desire to be with someone who you find very attractive and extremely special. ××× Laura had one of those. She was head over heels f...
6.6K 253 17
HIGHEST RANKS ~ #2 in raurafanfiction (08/19/2021) God, I wish that you had thought this through before I went and fell in love with you. ~ "What if...