The Host and System Matchmaki...

By YohoAruto

Who knew that by slipping on the stress ball that she left on the floor that Alex would end up dying due to e... More

Prologue
A Role Model to Live By: Arc 1.1
Arc 1.2
Arc 1.3
Arc 1.4
Arc 1.5
Arc 1.6
Arc 1.7
Arc 1.8
Arc 1.9
Arc 1.10
Arc 1.11

Arc 1.12

5.6K 344 157
By YohoAruto

Author's Note:

7000 words. Not the longest chapter, but it's still long nonetheless and I hope that it will satisfy you guys for a while >.<

As you can probably see, I haven't posted lately. And that's mostly because I've just recently started my master program for molecular pathology this summer and everything they gave me just hit me hard and fast. I need to get my shit together if I'm going to survive because if my grades get below a 70, I'm automatically kicked out of the course.

So I'm stressed and panicky and a little anxious. I didn't even finish the next chapter like I wanted to because I can't focus on writing it. THSMT is actually a complex piece that I'm trying to write (like The No-Good Seventh Miss goes Traveling but with more bl) and I need to plan every paragraph in order not to create any plot holes, so please forgive me for the slow updates >.<. Once I get into summer break in July, I'll try to write two-three chapters per week if possible.

Anyway, please enjoy!

...--------...

Just like the outside of the building, the reception area is very extravagant, but in a more subtle way.

It's not like there's golden curtain, red carpets, or anything gaudy like that, but Alex can see the high-tech monitoring screens on the reception desk being used by the receptionist and many other flat and silver screens tastefully placed around the building. Some of them even tactile which the public can use to search for certain information about the agency or its employees. Everything, especially the floors, is white, silver, and sleek and Alex feels the need to sprinkle a little bit of dirt on the clear and smooth tile floors just to see what happens and whether people will be bothered by it.

But she refrains herself as Bai Yang shyly walks up to the receptionist to inform them of his appointment with Lin Ning while Alex steps forward to one of the tactile screens and starts playing around with its features. First, she searches for a map, indiscreetly whistling as she sees how many floors there are in this one building.

Apparently, the Wangs have their hands on more than just modeling even if it's their main and most important trade. Wang Entertainment is the proper name for the corporation under Wang Wei's control and not only do they manage models, they also manage singers, actors, idols, and so forth. In recent years, it seems that Big Bad Boss has expanded into these particular areas, which makes them on par with other talent agencies in the entire continent but it seems that modeling, since that is what the Wangs originally built the Wang Corporation around, is still the center of their trade.

In this entire building, there are around 30 accessible floors out of 33 for employees and few that the public can actually enter, the top 3 for VIPs and the CEO himself. Some floors are office floors for agents and public relations and others are large meeting rooms that are either for hearings or panels or public announcements. Three floors are dedicated for studios for the four first-tiered fashion magazine and the two first-tiered entertainment magazine they own. The six second-tiered and eight third-tiered magazines under their name are probably placed in studios outside of the main building.

The rest of the floors seem dedicated for classes (such as acting classes or singing classes) or recreational activities for the employees. She can even see a spa somewhere on the tenth floor.

"Alex! Someone's going to take us up to Miss Lin Ning's office!" Bai Yang calls her near the large reception desk as she turns her attention away from the big screen, looking at her kid nervous but excited expression. She can see a pretty-faced, well-manner woman with black-flowing hair and in a black pencil skirt right behind him, which Alex has guessed to be the person escorting them through the building. On top of her chest is a name tag with her family name printed in black, bold letters: Zhang.

Alex makes a considerate expression, putting a finger on her mouth in contemplation. "Would I be allowed to attend your meeting? I can just wait down here."

Bai Yang anxiously looks back at the professional woman behind him but she offers no help as she just smiles vaguely in response. "C-Come along with me please?" he meekly asks with pleading eyes, obviously not willing to face Lin Ning by himself just yet.

Alex easily agrees, mostly because it's an honest request from Bai Yang and even if they do bar her from the elevators, she'll probably just shove her way through and risk being called on by security.

Fortunately, nothing drastic as that has happened by the time they reached the elevators. Climbing to the 23rd floor, they exit out the elevator, walk down a hall, and enter into another area with opaque windows and glass doors and a reception desk at the front.

Miss Zhang exchanges a few words with the receptionist (brown, neatly tied-up curly hair, and natural-makeup with eye-catching red lips) before she then leaves them with (what Alex can read on her name tag) Miss Chen. Miss Chen smiles at them not different in the way Miss Zhang smiles before dialing a number on the desk phone to inform Lin Ning of their arrival.

After a couple of minutes of Bai Yang fidgeting on the spot and Alex observing some of the creative abstract paintings on the wall, Lin Ning comes out with her black hair tied in a professional bun and her attire strict and formal like the day she has scouted Bai Yang. In a dark grey pencil skirt and some impressive black high-heels, Lin Ning's air of professionalism is complete with her thin, dark blue, metal-framed glasses and allows her black eyes to be sharper than the average person.

Lin Ning immediately recognizes Alex next to Bai Yang and doesn't even raise an eyebrow as she gives a courtesy greeting and acknowledgment to the additional company while holding out her hand politely for a handshake. "Lin Ning," she simply states, aware that they have met before and doesn't see the need to introduce herself further.

"Chang Alex," Alex response back with the same civility and business-like attitude, the corners of her mouth perking up slightly. "I'm here just to support Bai Yang."

"I see... Will Miss Chang be coming along with us then?"

"Only if I'm allowed to."

"I don't see why not. If it makes Mr. Bai more at ease for you to be there, then please join."

Pleased, Alex nods in response as Lin Ning turns around to say her greetings and welcomes towards Bai Yang, who replies shyly before latching a hand onto Alex's blazer sleeve, relieved that his best friend will be coming along.

Seeing their closeness, Lin Ning doesn't say anything as she leads them pass the reception desk and pass other small offices that each seems to hold their own agent. Judging by the nature of the calls she has been eavesdropping on and some of the discussions she has heard, most of the agents placed in this seem to be working exclusively for models only. There's probably more than one office area for agents that are working in other entertainment businesses.

Eventually, they enter into room 2301A (which is strangely located in the very back of the hallway) and Alex can't help but blink at the spaciousness of the office. She has seen the other agent offices in passing and while they're not cluttered and small, they're relatively decent in size. Enough for a medium-size desk, a filing cabinet, and a tall bookshelf without making anyone feel suffocated even after inviting three more people in.

Lin Ning, on the other hand, has an office with a window view as the entire wall farthest from the door is just glass. In the middle is a large, mahogany desk with a large PC screen and a black, comfortable office chair just behind. In front of the desk is a couple of seats with white, leather cushions and a small coffee table in between. There's even room for two filing cabinets (placed left of the desk against the pale-blue colored walls) and a couple of tall, black bookshelves (both on the left and right wall). There's also a lot of indoor plants that seem well kept and a silver-colored couch near the doorway.

Overall, despite its cleanliness and how meticulously everything seems to be placed, the atmosphere in the office is very comfortable and...

Is Lin Ning actually a big shot? She's definitely not a typical agent...

Bai Yang seems to have noticed as well, the nervousness easily showing on his face as he shuffles closer to Alex. Slightly amused, Alex gently grabs his shoulder and gives it a reassuring squeeze, causing the young man to relax significantly. He's really glad that Alex is here with him and not waiting outside in the lobby. He would have been a complete mess otherwise.

Not noticing the short moment in between the two, Lin Ning gestures towards the chairs while going around her desk and moving her chair a little away from its place. "Please take a seat. I'll pull out the papers necessary for Mr. Bai," Lin Ning informs as she bends down to reach for the papers inside the drawers.

Alex, completely casual and comfortable despite being in an unfamiliar location, takes the offer and smoothly sits down on one of the white chairs in front of the desk with her feet crossed and her elbows propped on the arms. Bai Yang, on the other hand, shuffles across the room before sitting down in his own seat clumsily. He squirms uncomfortably for a couple of minutes before finally settling down with his hands in his lap, his shoulders slightly tensed.

As soon as Bai Yang can finally relax, Lin Ning already has a handful of paperwork in her arms. She shuts the drawer as soon as she determines that she has everything and then turns around to walk towards Bai Yang to hand each paper one by one.

"Here is your contract. It's exclusive, meaning that WMA is your exclusive manager in managing all offers and bookings and that you will not be allowed to sign with another agency until your contract expires. All of the benefits you will receive is on page three and four and code of conduct that is expected of you is on pages 5 to 6. On page 7, paragraph 4, section 2: please note that the agency will take 20% of your earnings from each commission you've completed. Privacy laws are written on pages 8 to 12 while information in pertaining towards lawsuits and copyrighted issues are addressed on pages 13 to 20. Please sign page two, stating that I have personally gone through the contract with you and addressed all important sections of the contract for you to review. Please sign page 22 stating that you agree to all terms of the contract and that if either party breach the terms of the contract, this contract will immediately terminate and the party who breached the contract will have to pay compensation. Compensation will depend on the nature of the terms that were breached. Do you have any questions?"

In the beginning, Bai Yang tries his very best to pay attention to everything that Lin Ning has stated, but the more she explains, the more he feels lost and overwhelmed. By the end of the lecture, Bai Yang looks a little pale and dizzy by the amount of information given to him in a span of five minutes, trying to shift through the pile of papers in his hands to follow her direction. Eventually, Alex just holds out her hand, nonverbally requesting for the contract, which Bai Yang gives up in defeat.

Flipping through each page, Alex skims over the contract, sometimes stopping on the more important paragraphs to read them through carefully and when she gets into page 5, she then realizes something.

"Bai Yang is seventeen years old. Not yet a legal adult. This contract is tailored for individuals past 18," Alex points out while Lin Ning momentarily freezes before adjusting to the new information.

"I do not realize that Mr. Bai is not a legal adult. Does that mean he's still in high school?" Lin Ning inquiries, now focusing and addressing towards Alex. It seems that she somehow perceived Alex as the adult representing Bai Yang in this situation, which is fine for Alex since she has wanted to lay out some terms herself in order to protect her kid.

"Yes. And there have been no plans of Bai Yang dropping out of school no matter the nature of his time in WMA, so you must book and schedule his shootings accordingly around his class schedule as well."

"Of course, I understand that. We can make the appropriate adjustments for Mr. Bai. I would also need to draft a new contract for Mr. Bai, seeing that he's not of legal age."

"How long will that take?"

"Not too long. I have a default on file right now and we can discuss the terms that you think are appropriate for Mr. Bai along the way."

"Very well," Alex agrees, the corner of her mouth twitching upward as she sees Bai Yang wide-eyed stares, turning his head in between Alex and Lin Ning back and forth.

Indeed, it really did not take long for Lin Ning to produce a different contract. After clicking and typing on the computer for a few minutes, she then walks out and comes back in with another stack of papers in her hands. She gives it directly to Alex instead since she can see Bai Yang paling at the sights of the papers. The relief on his face is quite funny, especially since he reveals a guilty expression later on. After all, this is his job, not Alex's. And he should be the one to look over his own contract and not have Alex mediate it.

But Alex seems particularly knowledgeable in this type of thing... in fact, he would probably miss the fact that the previous contract was for adults and get in trouble for lying about his age... Though he wants to be a model, he's not sure he would be able to lie for it.

Alex once again flips through the packet of paper with a critical eye, taking notes of all the slight differences and similarities from the last contract. Lin Ning starts speaking once again in pertaining towards the papers: "Though this is our general contract for minors since Mr. Bai is very close to legal age, we can make some changes to make the transition easier for him."

"Transition?" Alex questions without even raising her eyes towards the agent.

"Yes. Once he turns 18, this contract will be terminated according to its terms and he'll have to sign a new contract that corresponds with his new legality."

"That makes sense. Will the agency still take 20% of the commission per job or 25%-30% like it said on this particular contract?"

"I'll change it to 20% specifically for Mr. Bai since he's near adulthood. The extra 5-10% is actually in the case that the agent would have to take care of the minor's needs in case their guardians cannot accommodate or accompany them. For example: paying meals in between jobs. I do not think that's necessary since Mr. Bai seems self-sufficient."

Alex hums in agreement, satisfied with Lin Ning's decision. "I would like to talk about terms, privacy, and some restrictions on the type of jobs Bai Yang can and will do."

"Of course. Certain information about Mr. Bai will be on the agency website, including his age but never his address or his school address. All activities will be considered in accordance to his age. What restrictions do you have in mind?"

"Nothing sexualized or demeaning. Not that I expect there would be such job offers, especially for a model that is under the legal age. The lawsuits are definitely not worth it, but I want Bai Yang's reputation to be clean regardless. Also, minimize alcoholic-themed jobs. Or alcohol in general." Alex looks momentarily at Bai Yang, checking to see if he's okay with some of the boundaries she has placed. After all, it's his modeling career and his contract, but Bai Yang just smiles at her awkwardly. It doesn't seem like he has anything to complain about-by no means is he comfortable enough to even run around shirtless at home, much less in front of the camera. He also never even touched alcohol but heard plenty of stories about it from his Godfather, causing him to avoid the drink like the plague.

"That is doable. The agency doesn't advocate for child pornography in the first place even if Mr. Bai is several months away from legal age. He's still very young."

"Then I'm glad we came to an understanding," Alex practically chirps as she turns to the last few pages of the contract.

"May I ask which school Mr. Bai attends?"

Looking at Bai Yang once again, when she sees him nod, she turns back towards Lin Ning and said, "Da Guan Academy. He's in his second year."

It might be a trick of the light but Lin Ning looks momentarily impressed before turning around and grabbing something from her desk. She gives a pamphlet to Bai Yang this time and it's a little bit funny watching him carefully grab it from the corner of the paper.

Taking a quick glimpse at it, Alex notices that it's a pamphlet for a school.

"WMA and Jianhong Academy decided to cooperate with each other in order to accommodate minors still achieving their high school education. Jianhong Academy has a specific program for students working and/or contracted with WMA, allowing them some breathing room in assignments and studying. Of course, the exit exams are comparable to Da Guan so you cannot slack off regardless of your position in WMA, but the school is much closer to Wang Entertainment Agency building in A city and is situated inside near the center of A city rather than on the outskirts of A city. If you decided to sign with us, you have the option to transfer into Jianhong Academy. What is your class placement?"

"T-The twelfth of my grade..." Bai Yang blurts absentmindedly, awe-struck by the offer while Alex is a little bit confused by her kid's astonishment.

'Sys?'

【Um... Jianhong Academy is on par with Da Guan in terms of education and also Da Guan's sister school. Like Da Guan, it's one of the top five schools in S Country but it seems that the students are more diverse in terms of ethnicity and social economics, not like Da Guan which mostly has high-class young masters and misses that are born and bred in S Country and some scholarship students.】

'Really? Why didn't Ah Yang enrolled in Jianhong instead? The school sounds ten-times more better than Da Guan!'

【Maybe he didn't really have a choice since that is something originally up to his parents? It's not like Bai Yang was looking for a new school to transfer to in the first place.】

'And yet, he's been looking up plenty of modeling agencies to sign up for. I can see where his priority is.' Alex can't help but inwardly chuckle at the thought. Though she still has some resentment towards the modeling industry (and more specifically, the male lead) in what they would have done to her kid, it's evident that Bai Yang really does admire everything about it.

Either way, Lin Ning seems rather pleased as she takes out a card this time, one with the name 'Zhao Xinyi' on the front. "This is Jianhong's headmaster's card. Either contact your headmaster or Headmaster Zhao to aid you in your transfer to Jianhong. I'm sure that Headmaster Zhao would welcome you into his school." Bai Yang can only nod, a bit stupefied, while Lin Ning turns back towards Alex who has placed the contract on the small coffee table next to her kid while he is distracted by the pamphlet at the moment. "Is the contract sufficient, Ms. Chang?"

"I find it sufficient as long as the changes we have discussed are implemented," Alex admits as her sharp eyes look into Lin Ning's. Lesser people have flinched whenever they have made eye contact with Alex's dark and abyss-like eyes, but Lin Ning doesn't even blink as she nods in agreement and takes the contract on the table.

Quickly, Lin Ning makes the changes to the contracts on the computers and in about ten minutes, as Alex is giving out non-subtle hints about Jianhong's appeal with the use of Sisay's information tracking, she has a new contract printed, highlighted, and ready for signing.

After checking over the contract once more, taking notes all the changes and the wording of certain clauses, Alex finally finds the contract satisfactory and gives it to Bai Yang, who takes it with sweaty hands.

"Just sign and print your name where it's highlighted in pink. Also, along with your employment to WMA, we do have health coverage and a dental plan. There is a possibility that you might be traveling outside of the city or even outside of the country, so we'll need some information in pertaining towards your private doctor, hospital of choice, emergency contacts, and so forth."

"Put me down as one of your emergency contacts, Ah Yang," Alex insists as Bai Yang looks at her with wide eyes, apparently surprised by her not-suggestion. Like, who else is going to be his reliable emergency contact? His absent, good-for-nothing Godfather? Please, she definitely wants to know if something happens to her kid when she's not there watching his back.

"R-Really?"

"Yeah, put me down. I don't see why not... Actually, give me those papers." She waves towards the papers detailing the insurance plans and emergency profiles and whatnot in Lin Ning's hands, which the agent readily hands to Alex. She scans through them momentarily, leaving some of the more personal blanks for Bai Yang to fill out, and writes her information as an emergency contact. "Hey, doesn't Bai Yang needs to do a background check or something?" Alex wonders absentmindedly as she puts down her number in a handwriting that's barely legible.

"He does, but such a thing has already been done before you entered this office."

...That's rather efficient... but don't you need permission from the other person to look into their background in the first place?

Alex decided not to say anything as she gives the rest of the papers to Bai Yang, who has just finished signing all pink-highlighted parts of the contract. Giving the finished paperwork to Lin Ning, he starts working on his new stacks of papers as Lin Ning makes sure everything has been signed as she has directed earlier before.

"Okay, after we're all done here, now what?" Alex points out. It's not like she knows how the modeling industry work and such. She just knows how to navigate with adults, and now that she deems Lin Ning to be trustworthy and particularly respectful if only for her efficiency and no-nonsense attitude, there's no need to hassle herself by suspecting the agent's every move.

If Lin Ning was trying to con them or somehow take advantage of the fact that they're young and inexperienced, she wouldn't have laid out the terms and conditions of the contract in front of Bai Yang. And she definitely wouldn't have even bothered taking her time highlighting all the important sections and paragraphs or walk through the contract with Bai Yang (even if he wasn't able to follow her lecture in the first place).

It really seems that she sincerely thinks that their Bai Yang has some potential in the making and Alex can't help but be a little curious about how the agent plans on helping Bai Yang realize and reach his full potential. After all, Alex is only agreeing to this because she thinks that it can help with Bai Yang's self-confidence and allow him to interact with more people other than those in Da Guan Academy in a semi-decent environment. She wants to believe that Lin Ning will have Bai Yang's best interest in hand more than anything else, but she should probably at least have one private conversation with Lin Ning before allowing her kid to take on any jobs.

Still, the fact that the Lin Ning from the original story had never noticed Bai Yang's actual gender still bothers her slightly... Or is it that Lin Ning did notice Bai Yang's actual gender and had never said anything about it? If she noticed and didn't say anything about it, then was it out of consideration for Bai Yang's privacy or that she just didn't care?

Either way, considering what she had researched so far and had gauged from their brief meetings with the other modeling agents from two days ago, Lin Ning is definitely a cut above the rest.

'I wonder why in the original plot Bai Yang had chosen her out of everyone else.'

【Oh, um, that's because... Lin Ning was the only one to choose...】

"Hm? What do you mean?'

【In the original plot, Bai Yang wasn't given multiple offers from many different agencies... Only Lin Ning had scouted him as a model...】Which... honestly makes a lot more sense to Alex. While she does not doubt her kid's attractiveness, she knows that modeling agencies are looking for more than just that. Of course, they would want their models to have a good temperament, a certain kind of unique allure or aura, and some confidence to face the camera and the people they would be working with. No one would hire a depressed, lonely, and introverted kid like Bai Yang in the original plot and Alex can only imagine how many several times more awkward the young man was, being forced into a dress and exposed to the public for some sick bastards' entertainment.

Yet, somehow, Lin Ning picked him out from the crowd once again, and while Alex doesn't know what the agent saw in Bai Yang back then (what she sees in him now), she now understands that Lin Ning thinks that there is something special about her kid. Of course, Alex knows that Bai Yang is special, but she doesn't often find somehow who would agree without shoving it in front of their faces.

"Has Mr. Bai taken any profile pictures?" Lin Ning suddenly asks, startling Alex from her thoughts.

Since Bai Yang is still writing down his information and looking over the content of the paperwork with his eyebrows knitted together and his lips pursed, Lin Ning is probably referring the question to Alex.

"... Not professionally," Alex admits. She's not exactly sure the test shots she has on her phone can be considered professionally taken photos, even if she thinks that they're pretty good shots to look at.

"That is not a problem. Once Mr. Bai is finished with the papers, we can head towards the studios just upstairs and get Mr. Bai started on a small profile that we can send to different jobs."

"Sounds good. How much did you get done, Ah Yang?"

"What?" Bai Yang, who wasn't paying attention to the conversation, lifts his head in alarm, his eyes wide but slightly wet from concentrating on the small printed words for too long. He has heard his name being said out loud but didn't hear much of anything else before that.

There is mirth in Alex's eyes as she asks once again, "How much did you get done already? Almost finished?"

"Oh, um...." Bai Yang blushes a bright red, flustered as he shifts through the papers nervously. "I-I think I have written everything down. I was just checking to see if everything was right..."

"Okay, just give it Ms. Lin if you're done. If she needs anything more, she'll contact us. For now, let's go upstairs so that we can get your profile pictures done and get you started on your career."

"Profile...?" Bai Yang stares at her blankly for a couple of seconds before finally catching up with the rest of the world. "Oh! Right, um..." Bai Yang nearly drops the papers onto the floor before Alex reaches over the grabs them from his hands. She transfers the documents into Lin Ning's capable hands before steadily rising from her chair. The young man, seeing his best friend moving up from her chair, quickly stands up in a rather clumsy fashion, almost tripping over his own feet before once again gluing himself to Alex's side.

Alex looks rather amused (if not secretly pleased) by the other's attachment while Lin Ning doesn't even blink an eye at their closeness and just places the paperwork onto her desk before escorting them out of her office.

The impeccable agent takes them down the hall and pass the doors of other agents to the front reception and gives a brief nod to Ms. Chen, the receptionist before exiting out of the lobby and into the hallway. Both Alex and Bai Yang also waves towards the older woman, one cheeky and amused while the other one is shy and sincere before they both disappear in the direction of Lin Ning. It makes a very entertaining contrast to witness and the corners of Ms. Chen's brightly-colored lips perk up at the sight.

--------------

After taking the stairs one floor above the agents' offices, Lin Ning strides into one of the studios as if she owns the room with both Alex and Bai Yang following right behind her. Of course, Alex can easily catch up with Lin Ning's long and efficient gaits, not even faltering after climbing up a couple of stairways. Bai Yang, on the other hand, is a little bit more winded, his chest visibly puffing in and out by the fast pace settled by both Lin Ning and his best friend. He's not really out-of-shape or anything but Bai Yang out-of-breath-ness is enough for Alex to look at him curiously and... reach out to squeeze his mid-section, causing the young man to nearly screech like a banshee as his face immediately turns red.

"Oh, it seems that you have a bit of a flab here, Ah Yang~."

"Al-Alex!!" Bai Yang yelps as he squirms away from his friend, trying to dodge her grabby hands in the process. His attempts fail when Alex encircled her arms below his chest and starts poking at his stomach, making Bai Yang squeal at the ticklish feeling. "Alex, s-stop!" He starts laughing, trying to push away her hands but his friend has always been the stronger out of both of them.

"I think I need to start thinking about a workout regime," Alex considers before finally letting go of her squeamish kid, allow Bai Yang to escape from her arms as he defensively puts his arms around his stomach with a teary glare at her innocent grin.

"W-Workout?"

"Yeah. Your figure is pretty good, but it's probably better for photo shoots if we tone your abdomen a little more. It also wouldn't hurt to increase your stamina too since you'll be moving around a lot..." There is a strange gleam in Alex's eyes that Bai Yang can't help but gulp at. As a former sports jockey and sports-scholarship recipient, she has intimate knowledge of ways how to tone muscles and how to increase cardiovascular endurance and body stamina. Well, she might have to tone down on some things because all the training she has done for regional or state games might not be appropriate for a young boy who has probably never lifted a barbell in his entire life.

Baby steps, baby steps.

Before Alex can start visualizing different exercises to consider for Bai Yang's regime, she hears Lin Ning clearing her voice and instantly narrows in on the agent, who is looking at the two of them with patient and faintly amused eyes. There is a brown-haired, skinny young man with a sparse goatee on his chin wearing a light orange, casual dress-shirt and some blue skinny jeans next to her with mirth in his expression at their antics, which makes Bai Yang blushes once again while Alex grins sheepishly at the other two people in the room.

"You both can discuss gym times on a later date," Lin Ning points out as she gesture towards the man she has been talking with for the past few minutes while Alex and Bai Yang were playing around. "This is Yuen Zan Jia. Jia is his public name. He's one of WMA's contracted photographers we have for ShiShang, a recently popular second-tiered magazine that has been rising in fame as of late."

"And he's back here taking profile photos for newcomers?" Alex questions more out of curiosity rather than skepticism of Yuen Zan Jia's skills. Generally, rising photographers like the man in front of them wouldn't be interested in doing small-time jobs like this.

"Well, it's a great way to increase your connections, just in case some of these newcomers hit it off in the modeling industry," Yuen Zan Jia casually points out with a carefree grin on his face. "Besides, I like talking with new, upcoming models. They're all honestly so cute when they first start out, ya know?"

"Haven't really met a lot of models to agree to that. I just know that my Ah Yang is cute," Alex says rather determinedly, causing Bai Yang to sputter out her name once again while the photographer just laughs at her declaration.

"Oh yeah, the young one behind you is definitely a cutie. I'm a little excited to see how his profile photos come out." Yuen Zan Jia gives the shy young man a comforting smile before gesturing towards the set-up behind him. There is a blue-ish screen with lights on the side and a camera in front settled in the back of the room and the two young adults can see a computer installed on the left wall and some props moved out of the way from the scene. It's a very professional setting, one that makes Bai Yang a little more nervous than usual since this is very different from his practice modeling with Alex in the comfort of his own home, but he feels a familiar hand squeezing his shoulder and sees his best friend's encouraging smile and relaxes instantly. "You're dressed very nicely today so I don't think we need for you to change your clothes. Whoever did your make-up is just fabulous. Just step in front of my camera and give me a neutral pose so that I can get a feel of you."

Nodding, Bai Yang steadily moves away from Alex and walks towards the center of the set-up, his shoulders a little tense but with each breath he takes, he gradually calms down even further. Once he's in front of the blueish-screen and turns around to face that camera, he momentarily squints his eyes because of the bright lights but tries not to pay attention to them as he shifts his eyes towards the lenses of the camera instead. It's rather daunting, especially being in the center of attention even though there are only a few people in the room, but he only has to look back at Alex, who gives him a face-splitting grin and two big thumbs up in the background, to settle his nerves.

"Okay, I'm all set up," Yuen Zan Jia softly calls out, trying not to spook the new, young model as he grabs onto his camera from its tripod and adjusts the settings momentarily. "Whenever you're ready, kiddo."

Bai Yang once again nods as he takes a deep breath.

Neutral pose. Just like they had practiced yesterday.

He tries to remember every critical advice Alex has pointed out. Every shift in posture, muscle, and form holds a different meaning, she had told him. Think about what message you want to convey, what you want people to see when they look at you.

He thinks about Alex, who is carefree, lazy, sometimes nonsensical, and impulsive, but who is also cheerful, thoughtful, indulgent, and kind. So very kind, especially to someone like him. He wants to be a person that she can proudly call as her best friend. He wants to stand next to her and not always just behind her, following her shadow and clinging onto the feeling of safety she radiates.

He remembers the pride he felt when he was able to pose a satisfying photo for Alex. She's harsh in her observations, but also generous to his strengths and Bai Yang took everything she had said to heart.

Bai Yang release a breath, letting go of his insecurities and tension in his body as he starts to shift his posture.

Once again, it's like a transformation, one that is more sudden and startling than the first few times Bai Yang has modeled and the other people in the room find themselves entranced.

Alex is familiar with how Bai Yang poses, from the habitual tilt of his hips and how he would automatically tilt his head slightly, allowing the viewers to be aware of the blue flecks in his eyes under a certain light, but his features seem a lot more profound than before being under a professional setting.

The lights are not harsh and the shadows are soft, but with Bai Yang who is ethereally pale and mostly dressed in light colors, the combination creates a deep, breathtaking image. The blue-gray background brings more attention to the blue in his eyes and his petal-pink lips stand out among the neutrality of the scene with a small, gentle smile that has everyone's heart beating rapidly. His posture is of someone confident yet humble. By no means flashy, but eye-catching nonetheless, especially with how he emphasizes his long neck by looking away passed the camera and his beautiful long fingers by displaying them on his hips.

It's very breathtaking for Alex to look at, who seen Bai Yang posed many times during their practice sessions, and she can see Lin Ning freeze up in surprise before looking very satisfied and content. She's no less enthralled by the young man's figure than everyone else in the room. Yuen Zan Jia on the other hand...He starts taking pictures like the devil has possessed him.

"Beautiful!"

"Astounding!"

"You're the darling of the camera!"

He would cry after the shock of seeing the bashful and shy boy who was just previously hiding behind his friend bloom into a mature, beautiful blossom fades.

"Oh honey, please look at the camera for me!"

Bai Yang does as Yuen Zan Jia prompted, his eyes seemingly and surprisingly sharp as they turn towards the camera. He doesn't give a full facial profile but a partial one, allow the audience to see his long and fluttering his eyelashes.

"Oh yes! Beautiful! So beautiful!"

After five minutes of basically the same thing, while Bai Yang shifts an arm or a leg or a change of the direction of his body according to Yuen Zan Jia's instructions, Alex realizes that while Bai Yang's current image is very capturing... shouldn't they be trying something different?

Leaning subtly towards Lin Ning, Alex whispers, "Hey, I know a neutral pose is good on Ah Yang, but... isn't this a bit too much?" If Alex has to estimate how many shots have already been taken, it's probably in the two hundred. Lin Ning finally then realizes this, snapping back into her professional persona before clearing her throat loudly and pointedly.

"Mr. Yuen, I believe it's time for us to move on," she says in the sharpest tone possible, causing Yuen Zan Jia to freeze in mid-shot. After remembering where he's at, the poor man blushes red.

"Oh, um, yes. I apologize," he coughs out a bit while hiding a flustered cheek in his hand, the other one holding his camera which he is looking down upon. "Yang'er is such a darling that-"

Alex is not able to hold it in and blatantly laughs, causing Bai Yang to snap out of his pose as he looks back at his mirthful friend.

"No, I get it," Alex reassures as she practically bounces towards the embarrassed photographer. "Hey, can I see the pictures you have taken?"

"Why yes, of course," Yuen Zan Jia easily agrees, not seeing any reason to hide the pictures from the cheerful young woman.

"Ah Yang, come over here and see how cool you look!" Alex then calls over, gesturing the flustered young man to come over before waving towards the camera in Yuen Zan Jia's hands.

"Ah, wait. Might as well pull them from the computer. Any picture I take will automatically be transferred to the PC."

"Really? Then let's see them!" Alex gushes excitedly while going over to Bai Yang and dragging him over the device. Bai Yang stumbles under her strength but follows obediently nonetheless even if he's a little shy seeing his first professional-taken modeling pictures (the pictures he took with his parents don't count).

It doesn't take long for Yuen Zan Jia to pull them up since he has the program already running before they started the photoshoot and the results are stunning.

As Alex has thought, professionally-taken photographs are much different than her amateur attempts on her phone. The camera Yuen Zan Jia uses makes the photo very clear and crisp and the colors somehow seem to be bold and eye-catching. With Yuen Zan Jia's skills, Alex can really see the sharp silver and the sky-blue freckles in Bai Yang's eyes and how his eyelashes shadow his jade-like cheeks. It really makes one's heart skip a beat.

"...I want a copy," Alex both whines and asks as she stares at the pictures unabashedly, making Bai Yang blush even though she's not looking at him directly.

"Me too," Yuen Zan Jia agrees as he also stares blatantly at the image.

Simultaneously, both Alex and Yuen Zan Jia look back at Lin Ning, who is looking through the images with a calculative gleam in her eyes, probably considering different jobs to send the photo too before noticing the pairs of pleading eyes.

"...As long as they're for personal use only and not distributed to the public," Lin Ning permits after a moment of deliberation, which prompted the two to high-five each other.

"Hey, can I have copies of every shot after that?" Alex requests as Yuen Zan Jia starts printing out two copies of each modeling photo.

The photographer nods as the printer next to the computer screen come alive. "Yeah, if all his other shots are as good as these."

"I don't really care if they're not. I want the trashed photos too." Bai Yang flushes brightly at Alex's demands, stuttering out her name but Alex is already ushering him back to the center of the photoshoot step up. "How do you want Ah Yang, Jia-Jia?" Alex chirps, already familiarizing herself with the photographer. Anyone who can appreciate her Ah Yang is pretty much in her good books. Anyone who would allow her to keep pictures of her Ah Yang is pretty much a saint.

"Ah, a picture that can show Yang'er's character would be good for his profile," Yuen Zan Jia points out as he grabs his camera from the table and walks back to the front of his set-up.

"Ah Yang?"

"I un-understand," Bai Yang replies softly, the corner of his lips reflexively lifting when he sees Alex grinning at his response.

"Great!" Alex exclaims as she happily pats her kid on his back, allowing Bai Yang to feel warm and comforted. "Oh, before you start, I want to make you sure that you're aware of where you place your feet. Even if your legs weren't in the shot, it still can affect your whole posture. Also, be aware of the clothes you're wearing-the pose wrinkle some places that make your image a little sloppy. Also, I want you to consider the placement of your hair. Since you're wearing a business casual suit, it would be very fashionable if you move the fringes from covering your ears. It would make your neck look more slender too. Also..."

Bai Yang: "......" Q.Q

Lin Ning: "...."

Yuen Zan Jia: "..........." Isn't that a bit too much?

...--------...

Author: I'm soooo sorry for the late update! I'm afraid that I won't be able to get chapter 13 up anytime soon, even though...

Editor: You know, if you put down your switch and stop playing Breath of the Wild--

Author: Shhhhhhhhh!

Alex: Author is busy with her master program, but is also using all her free time playing botw. ((( ̄へ ̄井)

Author: Well--That's--I--

Alex: Anyway, please be patient with Author-san. Author-san has a mind of a goldfish-- Author-san's attention span is short and pitiful.

Author: Y-Y-You--! (ꐦ°᷄д°᷅)

Author's Note:

But seriously, I'm really sorry that I can't update as often as I would like. I wanted to finish the first arc by the end of this month, but it seemed that my responsibilities won't let me *sigh*

I'll try my best to get another chapter out in two weeks >.< Or at next week at least! Next chapter, we should be getting somewhere!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

360K 23K 102
To lighten the wrath of his blackened readers, Frozen Milk was forced to transmigrate into his own novel to witness what *** he wrote. What's this? O...
359K 16.5K 59
If there was an award for laziness then everyone was sure that Ryo would be the one to get it every year but what Ryo didn't expect was that he was o...
37.4K 992 54
It all started with her dying and some random ass system coming up to her. --- Counterattacking the female lead Yu Meng: Easy, done, everything is s...
566K 23.8K 68
Rhea, a normal college student who's drowning in loans and debt, dies by the infamous truck-sama. Unwillingly being bounded to a System, She is force...