Twisted Magic (Book 2 of the...

By punkybookster83

Hope is now a witch. She never realized becoming one meant dealing with evil. She soon is learning that being... More

Summer Vacation
Welcome Back
Nice to see you
Welcome Packet
Bonfire
Fresh air
Left field
Strangeland
Avoidance
Marked
New Path
Gigs
The truth
Torture
Variety
Morning
The party
A choice
Magic and Mayhem
Nature
Time for changes
Hotness
Pain
Lovely
Empathy for none
Birthday
Moonlight
Those eyes
White tie affair
Apparent
Panic
The plan
Sense

Birthday Candles

1.2K 67 3
By punkybookster83

I secured the tiny black earrings in my ears coming out of my bedroom. Nona gasped, pleased with the new dress she and Claude special ordered for me.

"Oh, Sweet pea. You look absolutely stunning." She gushed, hands to her face as she admired me. She touched the silken fabric. I gave a little twirl. I was quite fond of the dark purple and black sleeveless dress. I liked the way it looked wrapped against my body. The black lay under the purple and gave the illusion it winded around my entire body. And I loved how the neckline accentuated parts of me I otherwise would have frowned about. It was a great dress.

"Thanks. I feel absolutely stunning." I took a seat next to Claude while Dad tried finding a tie in his closet and struggled to get the wrinkles out of his nice clothes.

"Honey I am going to help my son pull himself together. If we wait any longer we are going to miss our reservations," Nona said to Claude and clomped out of the room.

I smiled at Claude. He winked back and stayed his usual quiet self, between the French accent and his lack of conversation. I didn't know what to say to him. I wondered how Nona, and him got along so well. She loved to gossip, and Claude was the strong silent type.

Dad and Nona resurfaced. Dad straightened his dark-blue tie, and Nona smoothed his shirt out. She was forever treating him like a teenager, and he always put up with it. It wasn't any different than me taking care of him. I frowned at the thought of the old days when Dad took care of me and our family, and how much he missed it.

"You look great, Hope," Dad said, kissing my cheek. I smoothed my hair down. I didn't know what to expect. I knew there was some kind of birthday dinner, but Karsen refused to go into detail. I hated surprises.

We pulled up to the boardwalk, where several overpriced restaurants sat. The ones I never set foot in unless I was with Nona, like tonight. I slid out of Claude's fancy car and followed everyone to the twinkling lights from the restaurant.

Nona bypassed all three restaurants slipping behind the last and final building. I made a face at Dad. He shrugged his shoulder and offered me his arm.

We passed the brick of the restaurant and rounded the corner to a glorious looking terrace. I gasped.

"Surprise!"

I couldn't believe my eyes. Nearly the entire town of Cherry was decked out in fancy dresses and dress shirts. Purple and silver balloons fluttered around the wooden post of the terrace. Silver star confetti was sprinkled around each table setting and in the center was a gigantic purple and silver birthday cake.

"What do you think?" Dad asked patting my back. "Did Nona go all out or what?"

I looked over the crowd of people. Some I didn't recognize, but I knew they were friends of Nona and some I seen at the supermarket or on the beach. Nona knew everyone.

I smiled at Elliot and Easton, who stood among their friends sipping fancy drinks. They to dressed up in matching dress shirts and ties. Out of the crowd came Hutch, he smiled and pulled a present from behind his back. I was surprised he was there. However, I was sure it had something to do with Karsen. I found her and Kidd in the crowd. She smiled at me as I accepted Hutch's gift.

Dad left me and Hutch alone and took off for the refreshments.

"I thought I told you no more gifts?" I said, pulling the pink bow loose. I tore the paper from Hutch's present.

"Birthdays don't count. Glad I could come," Hutch said watching me open the gift.

I laughed at the ruby-red slippers on the silver chain. I handed it over to Hutch and lifted my hair. He secured it around my neck.

"You're a clever one." I stared at the red slippers laughing at our little inside joke against my fingertips.

"I thought you would get a kick out of it." Hutch pulled me close and planted a sweet kiss on the top of my head. "This is a big turnout. I didn't realize you were such a popular girl."

I smiled, looking around at all the strange faces mingling at my birthday party.

"Most of these people are friends of Nona," I assured him.

Hutch nodded, leaning over he whispered into my ear. "You look stunning, doll."

I blushed. "Thanks. So do you." I tugged on the collar of his white shirt and gray vest. He looked handsome, and I loved how he left the white shirt underneath open not bothering to button the three buttons. I toyed with the necklace hiding under the fabric of the white shirt he was wearing.

"What's this?" I asked.

Hutch pulled it free. "A family heirloom."

I gave one more look at the dark stone before he tucked it away, and took my hand.

"Don't you want to say hello to everyone else?" His eyes stayed connected to mine. The energy between us sped my heart up as I stared at him.

I nodded, "maybe in a little while."

Hutch shook his head understanding. "Sure, why don't we get something to drink?" I followed him to the beverages, and he got us both fancy punch Nona named after me in honor of my birthday.

"Sweet pea, quite the nickname," Hutch teased, sipping his purple punch, he grinned over the cup at me.

"Ever since I can remember it's what she called me." I took a swig of mine. "What about you? Do you have any nicknames?"

Hutch frowned and looked off trying to recall. I was really enjoying his company. "I can't say that I do. Do you have anything in mind?"

I laughed. I could think of a few things I wanted to call him. Like hottie or sexy. However, I wasn't about to tell him those. His eyes lit up with amusement. He leaned in, his lips brushing against my ear.

"You're going to want to learn to control that."

I stared at him in awe, my cheek's warming. "What do you mean?"

His smile grew even bigger. "Hottie or sexy aren't very common nicknames. Even so, I am flattered, thank you."

I turned away mortified he tapped into my thoughts.

"Don't worry about it. I'm flattered you think so highly of me." He turned me toward him again. "And it also means you're getting better with your abilities."

"It's quite embarrassing. I can't believe you heard that." Hutch touched my cheek.

"Don't worry about it. If only you could hear what is going on in here when it comes to you." He tapped the side of his head. I laughed, forgetting my mess up. I didn't feel bad anymore; it almost felt okay Hutch knew what I thought about him. At least, I didn't have to say it out loud.

Hutch and I made our rounds thanking everyone for coming to my birthday party. He even forced me to thank the people I didn't know. It wasn't anything I would have done on my own, but he made me feel like I could do anything.

"You're such a charmer. I think my grandma has a crush on you after that story." I told him. We got another glass of punch. Hutch was a very wise guy and the stories he told everyone about his travels impressed everyone, including Nona.

I tried to decide on a finger food while Hutch refilled our drinks. I was starving now and I needed to eat. I must have been too busy trying to find something to stuff my face with because the next thing I knew there he was.

"Slade," I said, dropping the crackers in my hands back on the tray. My mouth went dry.

Hutch handed me my drink. "Hey there, Slade," he said standing his ground.

Slade nodded at Hutch, but he kept his eyes on me. Hutch took my drink back.

"Why don't I let you two get caught up for a bit," Hutch offered.

I looked at Hutch panic taking over. "You don't have to leave." I wanted to grab a hold of Hutch's arm and scream at him to stay with me. I didn't want to be alone with Slade. I wasn't sure how I would handle being alone with him.

"You'll be fine, doll. It's your birthday. I'm sure he isn't trying to ruin it for you." Hutch flashed a big smile in Slade's direction. Boy he was cocky when he wanted to be. "Besides, I'll be over there if you need me."

Slade ran a hand down the back of his neck annoyed, it was written all over his face. "She doesn't need a bodyguard."

Hutch cocked his head to the side and grinned. "That's where we disagree."

I touched Hutch's arm before things got even more out of control. "I'm fine." His eyes searched mine for the truth.

"I wouldn't be against teaching him some manners." He glanced at Slade. Slade flexed his jaw; Hutch leaned down and kissed my cheek, looking out the corner of his eye at Slade as his lips met the side of my face, he took off through the crowd, leaving us alone.

I dropped my gaze to my feet refusing to look at Slade.

"Happy birthday," he said, pushing a small box at me. I looked up; he got me a gift.

"This is a shock," I opened the lid; it was a brand-new iPod. I raised an eyebrow confused. "I have an iPod."

Slade nodded. "You were always saying it only works half the time and running out of space. I added some of my favorite songs to it." He shrugged, biting at his lip.

I replaced the lid. "Thanks."

Slade reached out and grasped the necklace from Hutch. "How original, not obvious at all." He pulled back. The red slippers hit me in the chest.

"I think it was sweet," I said. "So, where's Audrey?" My anger was back now.

Slade shook his head. "I have no idea."

I pushed my hair behind my ear. "That's a scary thought. I'm sure she'll be pissed knowing you showed up to my birthday party."

"Wouldn't have missed it," Slade said staring me down.

"You should have." I crossed my arms, getting out of the guest way, so they could get drinks and a bite to eat. Slade grabbed my arm.

"Let's take a walk," he said, I pulled away from him.

"I don't want to walk with you." The memory of their kiss swarmed in my thoughts. And the anger coursed my veins. I cleared my throat knowing what would make me feel better. "I almost slept with Hutch." I admitted, dishing out the same thing he gave me days ago.

Slade's expression changed for a split second and then morphed back to the somber one he was always wearing. "I slept with Audrey."

My heart cracked in my chest. I recoiled like something bit me. It didn't make me feel better at all. I pushed him out of the way and headed out of my party, but he was on my heels.

"Go away, Slade. You're nothing but an uncaring asshole. I don't even know why you would show up here." The sand gave way under my high heels, I ripped them off and ran for the water with them in my hand.

He kept his distance watching me cry as I stared across the water.

"Does it feel bad hearing me say so?" he asked. "Did you enjoy almost sleeping with him? Do you like that guy?"

I shook my head. "Why does it even matter? This thing between us was nothing but a joke."

Slade crossed his arms. "I never said I didn't care about you."

I laughed, wiping at my face. "You didn't have to. And if you're all about being honest right now, yes, I do like Hutch." I waited for him to admit he liked Audrey, so I could feel better knowing everything happened for the right reason. However, he just stood there and said nothing.

"And don't think you're going to fight him like Tucker. Not everyone can be bullied by you." I pointed out; afraid Slade was going to go back to the party and punch Hutch for almost sleeping with me.

"I don't go around beating up people like you think. I got into it with Tucker because he was disrespecting you. I stood up for you." Slade shrugged. "I just came to wish you a happy birthday because you deserve one."

He started across the sand leaving.

"It's not very happy now that you ruined it." I shouted. "What did you think you were accomplishing coming here?" I kicked at the sand angry.

"I don't know," Slade said over his shoulder.

"Just admit it. Admit you care about her, just put me out of my freaking misery." I raised my hands to the heavens over our five-minute interaction.

Slade stopped walking and turned around. "I'll never admit that."

"Why?" I demanded.

"Because it will never be true, there's only one girl I care about." He stared at me, not saying who that one girl was. I shook my head, the words of Kidd playing again. Slade's an idiot. He doesn't think Hope. He just doesn't think.

"What do you want, Slade?" I asked, shaking my fist at him in frustration.

He didn't answer. He wasn't willing to give me what I wanted. And I didn't know why.

"I don't know what else there is to say," I told him. "We are still in the same boat. You can't give me what I want."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.1K 787 40
Happily ever after... Hope and Slade have been through a lot. But nothing compares to what is ahead. On the eve of one of the best days of their live...
1.4K 499 45
(Completed: 5/9/2024) The Dark One is on the move. Never seen, but always there. No one knows their name. No one knows if they're even a person. Some...
46.3K 1.5K 19
After a failed attempt at a relationship, I tried making it on my own, only to be saddled with a new neighbor who exuded charm, danger, and sexual en...
32.6K 1.4K 63
It's a story of two people living on different sides of the same dimension. She dreaded his world, and he envied hers. She reminded him of a life he...