Twisted Magic (Book 2 of the...

Oleh punkybookster83

Hope is now a witch. She never realized becoming one meant dealing with evil. She soon is learning that being... Lebih Banyak

Summer Vacation
Welcome Back
Nice to see you
Welcome Packet
Bonfire
Fresh air
Left field
Strangeland
Avoidance
Marked
New Path
Gigs
The truth
Torture
Variety
Morning
The party
A choice
Magic and Mayhem
Nature
Time for changes
Hotness
Pain
Lovely
Empathy for none
Birthday Candles
Moonlight
Those eyes
White tie affair
Apparent
Panic
The plan
Sense

Birthday

1.1K 62 1
Oleh punkybookster83

Birthdays, the one day a year I liked to forget. I was not like most girls. I didn't get excited. I didn't care about growing older.

I toweled my hair and came back into my room. There was a pale pink envelope addressed to me sitting on my pillow. I picked it up and sighed. It was my mother's attempt at contacting me.

I slipped it on the top shelf of my closet and shut it away. I didn't want to see it. Someone's artistic ability wishing me a happy birthday wasn't the same as hearing her say it herself. I wasn't going to be shocked if she didn't call on my birthday. She never called.

And out my bedroom I went. The smell of maple syrup tickled my nose and teased my stomach. When I rounded the corner, I jumped out of my skin.

Karsen, Kidd, Nona, Dad and Elliot and Easton were all decked out in polka-dot party hats and those annoying noise makers.

"Happy birthday," everyone said in sync, smiles on each of their faces.

Nona kissed the top of my head, making me sit and placed a stack of French toast in front of me with a side of cantaloupe.

"We all wanted to be the first ones to wish you happy birthday," Karsen said nudging Kidd. He worked a small box out of his pocket and set it in front of me. "It's from Kidd and I."

I lifted the black lid and pulled out the silver necklace. "It's beautiful." I fingered the small musical note dangling at the end along with half a heart. Looking at Karsen, she flashed me the other half of the silver charm. "Thanks, you guys."

Nona was next. She pushed my plate out of the way and dropped a larger gift on the table. The flashy silver paper danced against the table. I pulled at the red bow and quickly dove into it. Nona always gave the best gifts.

"A laptop," I smiled, kissing Nona on the cheek thankful for my gift. It was just the gift I needed now that I was away at college. And I knew Dad couldn't afford to fork the money out for one. "Thanks, Nona."

Elliot and Easton both stood up and set a gift bag on the table. "Since when do you guys give me gifts?" Dad smiled from the doorway. He sipped his coffee watching me pluck purple tissue paper one after the other from the bag.

"Love spell body spray," I said with a grin. "You guys remembered."

Elliot rolled his eyes. "It's all the house smells like anymore. We thought you might need a refill. There's lotion in there too."

"Thanks guy," I said, sitting back in my chair. Nona pushed my plate in front of me again.

I started to eat what I could. I didn't have much of an appetite. The one person that was supposed to be out of my mind was on it.

Karsen slid over a seat. "How have things been?"

That was all it took. A sudden rush of tears escaped me. I didn't talk to Karsen about my Slade sighting. She didn't know I saw the kiss.

"Sweet pea is everything alright?" Nona asked alarmed by the tears and sobs that shook my body. She wasn't one for sadness; she lived in a world of joy all day long. Dad came to stand beside me, his hand clamping down on my shoulder.

"If it's because I didn't give you a present..." he teased, trying to get me in a better mood.

I wiped at my eyes and forced a small smile. "I'm not worried about a present, Dad." Everyone stared at me. They all acted like it was the strangest thing they ever seen—except for Kidd. He looked troubled. He rubbed the back of his neck and looked away from my tears, and this didn't sit well with me.

"I did get you a present, but I am saving it for later." Dad kissed my forehead. "Why don't we clear out and let Hope talk to Karsen." I shook my head in a panic.

"No, I want to talk to Kidd."

Karsen raised an eyebrow but followed everyone out of the room. It wouldn't take her long to understand why I was emotional or why I wanted to speak to Kidd out of everyone.

Kidd fiddled with the black bracelet on his wrist waiting for me to say something.

"I know I shouldn't be missing him, but I am." I sniffled. "I thought it was going to be easy to forget him."

Kidd ran a black fingernail across his lip. "It's never easy."

It wasn't easy, but that wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted the truth.

"How long has he been fooling around with Audrey?" I wiped at my eyes, a new batch of tears welling up. "I don't know if you know this, but I saw them at the festival. He was kissing her. So you don't have to cover for him."

Kidd shrugged. "I wouldn't know."

I slammed a hand down on the table. "Just be honest."

A silence fell between us. And Kidd caught my gaze; he pursed his lips and finally said something. "It's been weeks. Before you got back from school, Audrey's been hanging around for some time."

The stomach-churning reaction rose. My hands turned hot and cold, and I felt like I wasn't there anymore. Kidd tried to stand, but I stopped him.

"Why did he sleep with me again? Why didn't he just break things off between us? We talked the entire time I was gone, every day. He could have just let it be, and I would have learned to do without him. I came back excited for more; he said he couldn't wait to see me." My heart ached, like a hot ember searing away my insides.

"Because he's Slade, he doesn't think." Kidd stood up. "He's an idiot. And if there is anything else you want to know talk to him. I don't want to be a part of this. He's a big idiot, and he doesn't think, Hope." Kidd took off out the door like his pants were on fire. His anger lingered in the room after he left.

I watched him head across the beach.

"Everything okay," Karsen asked, coming to stand beside me. She followed my gaze. "Why is he leaving?"

"I asked him about Slade, and he stormed out." I shrugged, turning to Karsen. She looked into my eyes. Her own filled with unease "I told him I saw Slade kissing Audrey. And I asked how long it been going on. Maybe it wasn't my place to ask Kidd, but I wanted to know."

Karsen didn't speak. She shook her head, listening to me explain.

"He said it's been going on before I even got back." I let out an overwhelmed laugh. Karsen pulled me to her and wrapped her arms around me.

"You don't need him." She smoothed my hair. "I'm so sorry you found this out on your birthday."

I shrugged. "It's just a birthday. I have been miserable for days. And there is something else I need to tell you, Karsen."

Karsen was confused. She raised an eyebrow. I pulled her out the door, and we started walking toward the water where we would have privacy.

The sand and shells poked at my bare feet. I knew it was now or never. I needed to share my secret with someone. So I didn't feel alone in my chaos.

We sat down near the water.

I looked at Karsen and let out an anxious sigh. "After you went home last summer something happened to me."

Karsen's eyes grew as round as saucers. She blinked several times, tucking a tuft of hair behind her ear and angled her body toward me, so she could look at me head on.

"Well..." I wasn't sure how to tell her.

Karsen's stared at me puzzled. "Since when is it hard to tell me anything?"

"Well aren't you going to say something?" she pushed.

I didn't think telling Karsen I was forever indebted to Slade would be such a difficult thing. I knew there would be a supernatural tie between myself and black magic forever, but Hutch promised it could be broken. And that's what I wanted. Maybe telling Karsen wasn't the right thing to do until I figured out how to fix things.

I looked at her confused expression. "Let's postpone this conversation until another time. I promise you I am alright." It was the right thing to do.

Karsen sighed irritated with me. "Alright fine, but if I find out it was something major. I might just kill you. Let's get you ready for your birthday dinner."

I sighed. "Where is this happening?" I hated surprises of any kind.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

291K 9.5K 43
She doesn't know why bad feels so good... What seems like out of nowhere, Hope Zigler's life has transformed: the normal Georgia life of an aspiring...
14.3K 95 13
Being raised most of her life at mountain temples Rose is the last thing from a proper princess. Rose is the last thing from a proper royal maid. S...
981K 36.4K 66
Warning: DARK ROMANCE Story contains detailed mature scenes possessing dubious consent not recommended for age group below 18 years old. YOU HAVE BEE...
1.4K 498 45
(Completed: 5/9/2024) The Dark One is on the move. Never seen, but always there. No one knows their name. No one knows if they're even a person. Some...