Twisted Magic (Book 2 of the...

De punkybookster83

Hope is now a witch. She never realized becoming one meant dealing with evil. She soon is learning that being... Mais

Summer Vacation
Welcome Back
Nice to see you
Welcome Packet
Bonfire
Fresh air
Left field
Strangeland
Avoidance
Marked
New Path
Gigs
The truth
Torture
Variety
Morning
The party
A choice
Magic and Mayhem
Nature
Time for changes
Hotness
Pain
Empathy for none
Birthday
Birthday Candles
Moonlight
Those eyes
White tie affair
Apparent
Panic
The plan
Sense

Lovely

1.1K 65 4
De punkybookster83

I carried the iced coffee I bought out to the outdoor veranda of the Shore café. It was night. The smooth fingers of the wind swirled around me. I stared at the water in the distance. Watching the waves strike the shore.

There was a certain calmness about the night, I could feel it on my skin. I was sure Hutch would insist it was my body becoming in tune with nature.

I brought my coffee to my lips staring over the brim at the sparkling stars, and the lonely seagulls flitting overhead.

I sat my cup on the table catching sight of Hutch approaching the boardwalk, his hands inside the dark hooded sweatshirt he wore. He smirked when I stood up to greet him.

"About time," I said sitting back down. "I was beginning to think you stood me up."

Hutch raked a hand through his messy hair. "I fell asleep."

I frowned. "Is it too late for you to be out?"

He shook his head. "No, don't think that. It's always good to have a nap, doll." He snagged my coffee taking a sip. "How'd your night pan out?"

I wasn't sure if this annoyed me or turned me on that he was so...intrusive. I reminded myself we swapped a great deal of spit and that sharing a beverage wasn't a big deal.

"Did you want a coffee? The café is still open for another fifteen minutes." I offered, jerking my head toward the door.

Hutch shook his head. "Nope. Why don't we take a walk down the boardwalk? We can take a stroll around the annual festival."

This was the first time I heard of it. "I didn't know there was a festival. I love festivals." I smiled.

Hutch wrapped an arm around me. We weaved past the people walking the opposite direction of us on the boardwalk. "Maybe I can win you one of those silly stuffed animals."

I nodded. I was a cheese ball. What could I say? And I was sure if I seen a festival when I first moved to Cherry, I might have felt a little happier about moving to such a place. Festivals reminded me of home, of fun, of all the good parts of being a kid back in Georgia.

"Have you taken a moment to look at the book," Hutch asked.

The more we walked the closer we got to the blinking lights and cheesy music.

"Not really, I plan on it though."

"You will be surprised the things she was capable of. It's very enlightening." Hutch pulled me closer. He was my bodyguard among the chaos of Cherry's festivities. The closer we were the hotter it was. And I wasn't the only one who it was bothering, Hutch drug his sweatshirt over his head, revealing a light-blue t-shirt underneath. He shot me a smile, and we hurried through to the first game we could find. He was willing to play, and I was ready to cheer him on.

The first game was the classic; knock the milk jugs over variety. Hutch fingered the baseball; he tipped his head in my direction. "When I knock these over what prize do you want?"

I laughed. "Oh you're cocky, don't be so certain you even will. They glue those things together I heard." I crossed my arms and backed up, so he was free to fail.

He bit down on his bottom lip studying the stacked bottles. He pulled back and let go releasing the ball. The ball sailed through the air knocking every bottle over.

I clapped my hands, cheering for Hutch. The man running the game shuffled forward taking the remaining balls back from hutch. He tossed a thumb over his shoulder staring me down. I pointed at the giant brown bear, clapping my hands with glee that I was now the rightful owner of one.

"I have always wanted a giant stuffed animal," I informed Hutch holding tight to the big bear. I couldn't see where I was going; I was walking in hopes of not bumping into anyone. My chin fought against the fur of my new pal.

Hutch pried the bear from my grip slinging him over his shoulder.

"Glad you got what you wanted. And happy to see you smiling," he said. We caught each other's pleased gazes for a split second lost in the moment. However, that was forgotten quickly.

I almost slammed into Slade.

"What are you doing here?" I blurted, stopping before I stepped on his feet.

Slade looked between me and Hutch, Audrey and Erica came to stand on both sides of him, Audrey for once with nothing to say, she just stared me down in silence. "My sister asked me to come with her to the carnival." He concentrated on me now. I avoided his stare down, jerking my head away.

Hutch extended a hand to Slade. "I'm Hutch."

Slade accepted, catching me off guard with his coolness. "Slade, and this is Erica my sister and Audrey her friend." He shot me another look as he established Audrey's place in his life.

Hutch waved at the two of them. "Nice to meet you, how long has Cherry been having the festival by the boardwalk?" He made conversation; it was weird to see him cool as a cucumber around my old boyfriend. But he was and it was admirable.

I pulled at my earlobes, I could hear it clear as day. Slade's voice, he was talking to me. I spun around. He was talking to Hutch, smiling a cool even smile.

"I got your letter. I guess I agree with the most of it. Just wish you would trust me. And what's with this guy?" His word echoed through my mind, blotting out the passing people, even making the music and voices nothing but a jumbled mess.

"Focus, if you focus you can do the same thing too. This is the only way I can speak to you without Audrey overhearing anything."

I shook my head again even harder, trying to dislodge his words; the sight of Audrey made me not care about anything Slade needed to say. I closed my eyes. Leave me alone, Slade. And when you're ready to get rid of her we will have something to talk about.

I came back over to Hutch and Slade. I took Hutch by the arm, gaining his attention. "Let's go on the Ferris wheel."

Hutch nodded. He said good-bye to Slade and followed me far away from all of them.

"I don't get it," I said once we walked away from all of them. "He was talking to me while he was talking to you."

Hutch paid for the tickets. "That wouldn't be surprising considering," he looked at the couple behind us keeping our secret just that—a secret.

"But why now, he's never done it before." I followed Hutch to the line for the Ferris wheel. He handed over the stuffed bear to the attendant.

"I think you should ask yourself that." Hutch ran a hand over the stubble on his chin.

"He said it was the only way he could speak to me without Audrey overhearing." And it dawned on me. Everything was happening was on purpose, but not because Slade was trying to hurt me. He was trying to protect me—from Audrey.

I closed my eyes. I don't need protection. I can take care of myself.

But, there was no response. Slade wasn't answering back this time. Hutch helped me into one of the seats of the Ferris wheel. Everything was like a dream.

He locked the lap belt on his side securing us in place and after a few minutes, the ride jerked to life, and off we went. I stared down at the twinkling lights and people underneath them.

I gasped, tears stinging my eyes. Audrey wrapped her hands around Slade's neck. She dropped her head back. Slade kissed her neck, and then I saw it. The two of them sharing a kiss, one that Slade looked just as invested in, a kiss that made my stomach ache and anger course my veins.

I gripped the belt. Hutch grabbed my arm keeping me in place before I spilled over and plummeted to my death. His fingers stroked the stark white knuckles on my hand.

"He's confused," Hutch insisted.

I huffed. "His tongue doesn't look confused." Slade's hand traveled down to Audrey's blue jean shorts. He squeezed her backside.

"He's indebted to them, Doll. I tried explaining this to you just the other day. He doesn't know what he's doing. He's trying to save face. He's trying to please them, so he can be happy." Hutch pulled my hand from the belt and placed it in his lap. He tugged me by the chin, so I would look at him.

I blinked back the tears ready to spill out. "It doesn't matter, because I don't care anymore." I looked away.

Slade didn't care about me. The proof was right in front of me. I felt small. I felt wounded, and nauseous.

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

35.6K 1.7K 37
Evil is all around, begging her to join. She wants to be with Slade, but the darkness is a lot for a girl like Hope to handle. She soon learns there...
13.3K 586 31
*Will be undergoing editing soon* "I was your curse , and you were my disease. I was saving you , but you were killing me." After loosing everything...
291K 9.5K 43
She doesn't know why bad feels so good... What seems like out of nowhere, Hope Zigler's life has transformed: the normal Georgia life of an aspiring...
18.4M 437K 65
𝐒𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐜𝐥𝐮𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬. 𝐒𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐧𝐚𝐢𝐯𝐞. 𝐒𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭. 𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐤𝐞𝐲 𝐭...