Twisted Magic (Book 2 of the...

By punkybookster83

Hope is now a witch. She never realized becoming one meant dealing with evil. She soon is learning that being... More

Summer Vacation
Welcome Back
Nice to see you
Welcome Packet
Bonfire
Fresh air
Left field
Strangeland
Avoidance
Marked
Gigs
The truth
Torture
Variety
Morning
The party
A choice
Magic and Mayhem
Nature
Time for changes
Hotness
Pain
Lovely
Empathy for none
Birthday
Birthday Candles
Moonlight
Those eyes
White tie affair
Apparent
Panic
The plan
Sense

New Path

1.6K 76 5
By punkybookster83

I stared at my odd-shaped cookie, the ones the Shore Café was so famous for serving. Every circular table was draped with sea foam green tablecloths and seashell centerpieces. The windows were bedazzled with sand dollars around every window frame, and the floor's tiles emblazoned with tiny shells itself.

"I don't understand the ambience of this place. We live by the ocean. Why would someone want to come inside and stare at it some more?" I asked Nona. She pushed my cookie toward me, shooting me a bothered stare.

"People live in Cherry because they enjoy the ocean. They want the ocean up close and personal." She smacked her hand down on the table with a loud whap. "Clive knows business. He knows what sells. And he is going to sell you."

I raised an eyebrow. "Isn't that illegal?"

"Is what illegal?" Nona looked around; the passing waitress was dressed in nothing more than short turquoise shorts, and a white t-shirt tied at the waist. Their bodies bronze like goddesses, and their hair was swept up with seashell barrettes. I was even more curious about Clive the more I saw his Café.

I wasn't sure what to expect. Maybe a middle aged balding man with lots of chest hair and cheap gold chains around his neck, one of those smiles you just wished he would shut off.

Nona was staring at me as I came back to reality. "I asked you a question."

"What? Oh, I was just making a joke about Clive selling me." I shook my head at her slow humor—more like none at all.

The door chimed behind us, and the staff shouted cheers of joy, just like they did for us and the many others who entered.

"Now that's a looker." Nona shouted to the masses. I twisted in my seat, because Nona was not one to talk about other men. To her Claude was the hottest thing since anything pretty much.

To my shock, it was Hutch. He was taking a seat in the booth by the window with the two guys from the beach. Which I now knew were his brothers. He accepted the menu the waitress handed him and smiled at me.

"Do you know them," Nona asked. She didn't take her eyes away from Hutch. "They're all very attractive if I must be honest."

"I've seen him around," I said, pushing my hair behind my ear and looking away from his glorious smirk. I hoped he stayed where he was because I wasn't in the mood for Nona's antics. He would think she was crazy and seeing we were related it wouldn't look good for me.

I shifted in my seat. "What does this meeting entail?"

"Clive wanted to meet you," Nona said taking a bite of her cookie, crumbs dropped on the table, and she swatted them away.

"Nothing more?"

"Nothing less, just answer his questions, do as he asks, and you will walk out of here with a new path in life, sweet pea."" She turned her head, flying out of her seat as a tall man entered the room.

"Clive!" Nona squealed, throwing her arms out, and in no time Clive was grabbing her and pulling her into his grasp. She was making quite the show, the entire café—including Hutch, watched Nona yuk it up with Clive.

Nona guided Clive around the table to me. Now I was nervous because this man with dark hair was looking at me—all of me. And he wasn't some cheesy salesman or fat grandpa. He was...hot, the same age or around the age of my dad, but attractive like Hollywood actors, with the hair of a Greek god, hair-like James Dean.

He extended his hand. "Clive Jennings," he said, shaking mine with a generous amount of force.

"Hope Zigler," I said back. Clive wasted no time in pulling up a chair. He waved to the passing waitress.

"Get Hope and Gloria anything they want. I'll have a Carmel macchiato." He looked at me and pointed a finger, his chin resting on his knuckles

"Iced cappuccino?" I asked. I wasn't a big time coffee drinker, but in the presence of Clive, I knew it was good to be. It was his business after all.

"So, Hope. How long have you been singing and dancing," Clive asked, cutting right to the chase.

I licked my lips, my fingers rounding my ear. Nona watched me. My heart sputtered in my chest. I was nervous, and I really wasn't sure why.

"Hope has been singing her little heart out since she tore from her mother's womb, Clive." Nona cut in.

Clive smiled. "What's your favorite song to sing?"

I was starting to sweat. The back of my neck warmed, and I could feel my cheeks flush. "Jolene." Did I say something?

Nona smiled. "Hope and my son, her father, have sung that song, for as long as I can remember."

I smiled because Nona was right. It was a song that never made much sense to me. I never understood why my Dad liked it, but as I got older, it was a little eerie because his life panned out the way the song depicted. And even though it was haunting now we both enjoyed the song and the lyrics. Jolene was my childhood theme song. And as odd as it was it was also comforting.

Clive placed his hand over mine. "That's what you will sing."

My jaw dropped. Clive stood, smoothing out his dress shirt and waved for me to follow him. Nona nudged me, but my legs were now shaking.

"We have a talented girl among us today. And she is going to share this talent with all of us. Everyone please welcome Hope Zigler to the stage," Clive announced to the café. Hutch and his brothers clapped along with everyone else.

I felt ill. I stood, smoothing out my black vest and tweed gauchos. At least, I dressed up I thought to myself making my way onto the small stage at the front of the café.

The guitarist, who Clive introduced as Moe shot me a welcoming grin as he tuned his guitar.

Clive took me by the elbow. "This is your shot at working for me. I could help you get to where you want to be."

I nodded nervously and took the microphone from him. I wasn't sure where I wanted to be, or if I could do what he was asking of me. I felt small and unsure of myself.

Clive squeezed my arm. "Where do you want to be, Hope?"

"I'm not sure."

"You have to have a passion for everything you do in life. Do you have a passion?"" He released my arm. "Show me your passion."

I watched Clive head off stage and take a seat next to Nona. Nona gave me a wink and thumbs up. She clapped her hands and cheered me on.

I caught a glimpse of Hutch who held an amused grin.

Moe plucked a chord on his guitar, and the world disappeared. I slipped into the song. A few simple chords took me away. I gripped the microphone, took a deep breath and began singing. The only thing that mattered was the music. It took me back to a time when I didn't care about anything but music.

Music brought me and my dad together. It made me love him to the point I couldn't see him unhappy. It made us strong, and it was along for the ride to Cherry California to start our new life.

I stepped to the edge of the stage, dropping my head to the side, swaying to the music, closing my eyes, letting myself go. This was what I wanted at one time, I knew I could want it again.

I needed something to desire because my life was a mess.

I exhaled, dropping my arm to my side and smoothed my hair. The crowd cheered. Some people rose from their seats. Clive's eyes filled with enthusiasm. He crushed me in a giant hug.

"You are amazing!" he told me, letting me go, and I could breathe again.

Nona wrapped an arm around me. She too was delighted and proud of me. "I told you, Clive. Hope is something special."

I smiled, happy to hear Nona being genuine about me, for once it wasn't hot air coming from her mouth.

"So, now that you have proven yourself to me, what do you say about singing in the café a few times a week?" Clive grinned. "I see a bright future for you."

Nona raised an eyebrow. "Well? It's up to you, Sweet pea. Do you want Clive to help you?"

"Please let me help you. I want to help you." Clive begged. He was begging me.

It was all so much to take in and accept. "I'd be glad to. Thank you for giving me the opportunity," I said politely.

Nona collected her things from the table. "I have to meet Claude for a meeting about some real estate. You did a great job, and I am very proud of you." She kissed my cheek and excused herself from the café.

Hutch was standing by the door waiting for something. I realized me once he started walking alongside of me down the boardwalk.

"You're a singer. I had no idea." He smiled, hands in his pockets as we strolled down the boardwalk.

"I am, what about you?" I asked back. His hair fluttered in the breeze, the sun making it lighter than what it was.

"That I'm not."

I nodded, a smile coming.

"Come have a bite with me. I'd like to hear more about you. You're proving to be a very fascinating girl," he said.

The last time I seen him came to the forefront. And suddenly I wasn't so happy to be walking with him down the boardwalk. "I got to get home."

"I would love for you to get to know me." Hutch insisted. "I think you would like me and be surprised what you found out."

I nodded. "I would love that too. However, as you know, I have a boyfriend." There I did what was right for once.

"I know," Hutch said. "Just a friendly meal, I swear."

I stopped walking. "You don't want to know me. I promise you I am not who you think I am. You're better off making friends with somebody else." I moved around Hutch to go home. I was doing the right thing. Getting to know a girl like me would lead him nowhere good. And I was with Slade that was another reason.

"You're always running off. Can't you have a little faith in me, Hope? We might have more in common than you even know."

I turned around, walking backwards down the boardwalk. "I really doubt it. But it was nice seeing you again." I headed home, leaving Hutch frustrated, but it was for his own good.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.3K 586 31
*Will be undergoing editing soon* "I was your curse , and you were my disease. I was saving you , but you were killing me." After loosing everything...
291K 9.5K 43
She doesn't know why bad feels so good... What seems like out of nowhere, Hope Zigler's life has transformed: the normal Georgia life of an aspiring...
588 29 54
18 + Hot Hate/Love Badboy Romance. I died. I know I did but why do I feel more alive than ever before when I am around her. Wishing for a life I neve...
1.3M 30.6K 32
Cordelia Holland had everything and then in one second she lost it all. She was the girl that everyone was jealous of but when her father gets impris...