ELDRITCH NIGHT (Rough Draft)

By hammbody

Eldritch horrors descend from the sky to consume the world. Only a last-minute intervention by a mysterious H... More

Chapter One: Day Breaks, and Night Falls
Chapter Two: At Night Crept
Chapter Three: A Widow Fled
Chapter Four: From Looming Monarch's Dread
Chapter Five: Debrief
Chapter Six: Mind and Body
Chapter Seven: Daybreak
Chapter Eight: New Growth
Chapter Nine: Sticks and Stones
Chapter Ten: Of Class and Men
Chapter Eleven: All Aboard
Chapter Twelve: Shore Leave
Chapter Thirteen: Words of Blessing
Chapter Fourteen: Homecoming
Chapter Fifteen: Revelations
Chapter Sixteen: Night Turns to Day
Chapter Seventeen: Pickman's Daughter
Chapter Eighteen: The Band Sets Outs
Chapter Nineteen: Conflict on the Bridge
Chapter 20: Song of Battle
Chapter 21: Dark Revelations
Chapter 22: Truth from Madness
Chapter 23: Banter and Bombs
Chapter 24: Aftermath
Chapter 25: Smoke on the Water
Chapter 26: So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Chapter 27: One of Many
Chapter 28: Descent
Chapter 29: Trapped
Chapter 30: The Fisher Man and the Sea
Chapter 31: Into the Fore
Chapter 32: Flowers of Change
Chapter 33: Out of the Breach
Chapter 34: Isolation
Chapter 35: Questions
Chapter 36: The Fruits of Despair
Chapter 37: Fuel on the Fire
Chapter 38: Family Ties
Chapter 39: Eye of the Storm
Chapter 40: Chains that Bind
Chapter 41: Fruits of the Earth
Chapter 42: Sky Meets Earth
Chapter 43: Kiting with Behemoths
Chapter 44: A Pound of Flesh
Chapter 46: Volatile Responses
Chapter 47: Overt Operations
Chapter 48: Pearls of Thought
Chapter 49: Charge of the Dark Brigade
Chapter 50: Ave Maria
Chapter 51: Leveling Earth and Sky
Chapter 52: Apotheosis Horizon (1/2)
Chapter 52: Apotheosis Horizon (2/2)
Chapter 53: Fingers of the Dead
Chapter 54: Our Lady, Who Art in Hell
Chapter 55: Darkness Before Dawn
Chapter 56: Hubris, Slayer of Gods
Chapter 57: Dreamscape
End of Book Update and Acknowledgements
Epilogue

Chapter 45: Growth

210 15 3
By hammbody

Small tendrils of energy stabbed into my new arm. They anchored it to me, creating a whole from the sum of its parts. As the capillaries of energy grew and wormed their way into the arm they began to feed.

Since regaining access to the system, I had found it impossible to add to the small amount of eldritch energy I had gathered. The system would greedily consume every speck of the energy as soon as it touched me. The small amount I had been able to hold onto seemed immune to this absorption, as if by claiming it I had somehow made it impervious to the system's hunger.

Now, however, the thin channels of dark energy swelled and fattened. They lengthened and multiplied at an exponential rate. It was too fast for me to process or control, and I could feel the arm beginning to weaken. The threads of energy seemed to have a will of their own as they slowly drained the energy in my new arm with insatiable abandon. Soon they grew too numerous for me to envision as a latticework of thin wires. Instead, I watched as the energy became a chain of spheres that surrounded and linked each cell in my body.

I was unsure how much of it I was guiding, and how much I was the spectator. Some force seemed to be controlling the transformation, and yet I was aware of each change even before it happened. I easily understood and anticipated each step. It was as if I had witnessed this play out once before.

I was still unsure of the benefits this transformation would give me, but I immediately gained a much greater awareness and control of my own body. If I concentrated I could isolate and view individual cells. Injuries and flaws became obvious, as if surrounded by beaming lights.

Other than the injuries to my chest and arm, I also had tears in almost every major muscle, and the ligaments in my right knee and ankle were nearly severed. The shin bone was barely holding together and seemed as if it could disintegrate into bone fragments at the lightest touch. It was riddled with fractures that branched and spiraled throughout the bone.

As the energy infused each cell these injuries were not healed, mine was not a power of regeneration. The connections between cells became stronger, however, and a new force pulled bone and muscle back together. They were not healed, but they would function until they could heal naturally. It was like a glue holding me together, adding both strength and flexibility.

From here on I would be much more durable, but I would still have to experience the pain of each injury as it happened. I could hold together broken bone, at least to a point, but not prevent the injury or heal the damage. It was a ruthless ability, but powerful.

Rather than slow the transformation, I let it continue. I was not worried about the arm being weakened too much- I knew the Fisher had ways of replenishing its energy. Besides, I had a faint understanding that the process would end once an equilibrium was established.

I called to the Fisher, but it didn't answer. Perhaps the process had suppressed it, or my Companion was involved in the transformation at a deeper level than I had believed.

The benefits of the system seemed an afterthought, but I still had that source of power as well. Several warnings and messages had appeared after my battle with the King Behemoth, but I had ignored them until now.

Rather than try to dig through each message, I dismissed them and looked at my stats and skills directly.

The most obvious change was that I had leveled three times. Just how powerful had that behemoth been? I had expected to level, but not multiple times. Perhaps I had also gained experience from Telvy mopping up the rest of the herd. I assume she did, anyhow. Everything after the headless corpse of the King collapsing on me was a blur.

I had no idea how to feel about the archmage. She had promised to protect Tiller and had pulled me out from under the crushing embrace of the behemoth. She had also left me to fend for myself behind enemy lines with grievous injuries. I just couldn't find the energy to become angry at her. Instead my rage was focused elsewhere.

I had never thought of anger as a limited resource, but I only had the will to hold onto so much. I shook my head and turned my attention back to my stats. I had gained three points in both Will and Perception due to my class, which meant I had six points to do with as I wished.

My first instinct was to put them all into Intelligence, because of the way it bolstered my physical capabilities due to the feat Mind Over Body. I hemmed over the decision for a moment, but it turned out I didn't need to worry. I was unable to select intelligence. It seemed as if forty was the cap.

I remembered Sebbit saying that Telvy was one of only a handful of Tier Three citizens on the planet. Perhaps the different tiers had higher caps. That seemed likely but couldn't be the only benefit. I really needed to learn more about tiers and the system in general.

If each stat was capped at forty I would need to rethink how I was allocating my stats. A more even distribution was probably called for. I considered that something else could behind the stat being locked, but I didn't have time to worry about it then.

Instead, I ended up putting three points each into focus and strength. Focus was my weakest stat – and seeing it finally break into double digits was satisfying. Strength was less useful to me, especially due to my recent... upgrades.

Up till this point I hadn't invested in strength at all, because it seemed a waste. Five points spent in Intelligence was also five points evenly distributed to my physical stats. With Intelligence locked, however, I had more reason. Besides, it would gain me another of the 'menagerie feats.' A free feat was a free feat.

I wasn't disappointed, and message quickly notified me of a new feat, Ogre's Might ®. It was an interesting ability that increased the strength of my physical attacks as I took damage. I hoped I never had to use it, but if my current physical state was an indication the feat would get a lot of use.

I still had one remaining stat point remaining. It had been hanging with me for a while, so I decided to keep it. There might even be some benefit in keeping free stat points in the future - as I could spend them in response to a specific need. Too bad respecing wasn't an option.

After settling my stats, I checked on my skills. I had an eagerness and hope that my recent physical changes would grant me some new abilities. I was disappointed when I found no new skills, but the feeling was short lived due to the massive gains I had made in other areas.

My class features had seen the most growth, especially Dark Gemini which was now flashing and displayed a satisfying (10/10). Eldritch Mimicry had leveled twice as well. The biggest surprise was that Chaotic Mutability had changed. That particular class feature didn't have skill ranks, but it now had a flashing (+) next to it.

I knew the display was not real and I didn't need to physically interact with it, but in my excitement I still reached out to press the (+).

Chaotic Mutability - Eldritch energy swims through your every cell, leaving them pliable and easily mutable. After slaying the unique beast Belshax, King of the Planes Walkers, your chaotic mutability has taken on new traits and you have gained a feat.

Monarch's Raiment ® - You are as terrible as you are powerful. All whom experience your presence will feel a subconscious desire to defer to your decisions. Your enemies will fear your power and your allies will respect your terrible might. This is only effective on those with Will significantly lower than your own.

The ability could be toggled on and off and drained a small amount of mana when it was being used.

I wasn't sure how immediately useful it was, but I liked the sound of it. If I could overwhelm others without the need for combat I wouldn't complain. Besides, King Finn had a nice ring to it. An echo in the back of my mind called out another name, but I ignored it and continued to look at my skills.

Tanglefoot and Wild Growth had both leveled twice, and Pain Tolerance, Physical Fitness, and Combat Proficiency had each gained a single level. After adding the few Feat Points I had left over, this brought me to twenty-two. This was a sizable number but not quite enough to purchase any of the feats that looked worthwhile.

I especially wanted to invest in either Illusionist or Circle Mage, but I knew that doing so was likely to increase my Intelligence stat. Most mage related feats had done so at regular intervals, even if I didn't have enough to purchase the feat outright. I feared losing points if forty truly was my current cap.

Besides, I still had a battle to fight and three skill points would come easily.

The obvious course of action was to find Telvy by tracking the points around the dome with the highest levels of eldritch energy. If she was assaulting one of them the disturbance would probably be obvious to my increased sensitivity and control over anything powered by eldritch.

Her assault had most likely been significantly slowed without me.

That was the smart plan, the careful plan. Help her and expect her to live up to her side of the bargain. I liked the mage, even trusted her somewhat. I couldn't put my faith in her, however. I would have to take the freedom I desired. My own, Tiller's, and even Troy's if he really was the cultist the Peacekeepers had captured.

I had questions for my old friend.

I began to move but remembered one more thing I had meant to check. Dark Gemini was my first skill to reach the maximum level and had been flashing. Perhaps it would undergo some form of transformation as well?

I selected the class feature and as its description opened the skill began to transform. After the words were finished rearranging, I was presented with a new class skill.

Shadow Doppelganger (0/5)- Your connection with your Dark Gemini has strengthened to the point that there is no longer a divide between the two. This is no loss, but a gain. You will continue to be able to draw on two pools of mana, and your mind is capable of splitting, which allows you to focus on multiple tasks. You still remember, deep in your soul, what it was like to be more than one and you can use this knowledge to create Shadow Doppelgangers. As the skill level increases so too does the number and strength of the doppelgangers you create.

I wasn't sure if the Fisher was still capable of leaving, as its body was now my arm. I had tied it to myself completely and separating it would require tearing apart my very being. This skill solved the immediate problem.

I would still have a scout to act as my eyes and ears. I experimented with the skill and was able to create a perfect replica of myself, though it was formed from smoky black mist, like living shadow.

It was completely unable to take action on its own, and I had to direct each motion. Once I was able to summon the Fisher again, this limitation would be mitigated almost completely. I dismissed the doppelganger and was met with a satisfying notification that I had gained a skill rank.

"Good," I said to no one.

The skill would be the perfect diversion, but I still had one more stop before returning to the Yorktown. I knew what was supplying energy to the dome. I had seen into the barrier of mist and lightning. As Telvy had assaulted the dome with chain and spell, I had witnessed a familiar object. It had called out to me.

I now merely had to reach out and take it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21 2 5
[Book 1] There's only one thing in Helio's mind, but he would never admit it to others, not even himself. He isn't going to be like his brother, or a...
8.7K 829 26
Cycle of Ruin - Book One They say Arrivals choose to come here, but Leo has no recollection of ever choosing such a fate. Thrust into the harsh wilds...
4 0 9
We follow the compelling journey of Valenus, a person burdened by the weight of personal challenges, most notably the illness of their father. At hom...
640 96 14
Jacob, a high school student recently discovers his power to manipulate reality. This power throws him to a venture of strange places along with some...