Escape Velocity // The Flash

By Geekasauruz

A time-skipping accident strands Barry Allen and his nemesis Eobard Thawne in the past; specifically 15th Cen... More

Information
Chapter One: Stuck in the Past
Chapter Two: Defenders of the Realm
Chapter Three: The Search
Chapter Four: Hostility
Chapter Five: Taken
Chapter Six: Shadowplay
Chapter Seven: Quantum Leap
Chapter Eight: Orbital
Chapter Nine: The Rogues
Chapter Ten: The Final Frontier
Chapter Eleven: Concrete Jungle
Chapter Twelve: Entangled
Chapter Thirteen: Spider's Sting
Chapter Fourteen: Centrifugal Force
Chapter Fifteen: Silent Knight
Chapter Sixteen: Pizza Time
Chapter Seventeen: The Trouble With Titans
Chapter Eighteen: The Diversion
Chapter Twenty: No Justice
Chapter Twenty-One: Chronal Pretzel
Chapter Twenty-Two: Life Behind Bars
Chapter Twenty-Three: Justice For All
Chapter Twenty-Four: Downtime
Chapter Twenty-Five: Freaky Friday
Chapter Twenty-Six: Vice Versa
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Complete
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Crises
Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Passing Of Time
Chapter Thirty: Reunion
Chapter Thirty-One: Fractured

Chapter Nineteen: Missing Heroes

730 53 34
By Geekasauruz

Barry knew something was amiss the moment they teleported to the Watchtower. It was eerily empty, with nothing but the frantic pacing of heavy boots to fill the silence.

Wally took the lead. He had been anxiously fiddling with his fingers since they entered the Hall of Justice, and it didn't cease even after they went through the transporter. He had a looming feeling of dread that he simply couldn't manage to shake.

The long hall they hurried through was seemingly never ending. Every corner felt barren without heroes training or discussing their recent fights with one another. Either something big had happened to occupy a large majority of Metahumans, or something was terribly wrong.

When they finally reached the room the footsteps were emulating from, Wally threw open the door and scanned the room for at least a quarter of the team he admired. He only found Batman, pacing from one end of the room to the other with his head hung low in deep thought.

All was quiet between the two men until Barry and Mineko stepped into the room. That was when Bruce spun around and tossed three perfectly aimed batarangs at each of their heads. Both Wally and Barry, though admittedly shocked, had no trouble stepping out of the way.

Mineko, on the other hand, had caught the weapon between two fingers as if she hadn't even needed to try and dodge it.

"What the hell was that for?!" Wally yelled, heart still thumping rapidly in his chest. Any faster and it would likely likely start running away from his body.

At the genuine fright in the boys eyes, Bruce appeared to lose some of the tenseness in his muscles. This didn't even return when Mineko threw the batarang back at him. He caught it with ease, though not as much as she had, and shot her an impressed smirk.

"Dude... not cool." Barry said, box of pizza in his hand completely rattled up. He opened the lid and sighed at the messy slices sprawled around the box. "Why do I always forget to put the box down?..."

Mineko shrugged and reached for a piece, trying not to forget how sick she was the last time she indulged in the oily substance. "It is still edible."

With that, she bit off a large chunk of the food and swallowed it down. Barry's disappointed frown transformed into a grin. She was amazing.

In the midst of Barry's admiration and Mineko's chewing, Wally was still unbelievably annoyed at Bruce. He flung his arms up into the air and yelled once more "You can't just go around throwing sharp shit at people! What exactly were you trying to do?"

"I was ensuring that none of you had been compromised." Batman replied lowly and simply.

"Compromised?! That's the best you've got?!"

Batman turned his back to the fuming boy and sauntered towards the large computer behind him. "Considering your recent run-in with the Titans, I thought you'd understand my precaution."

Wally had only just calmed himself down enough to take a slice of deformed pizza, but Bruce's words made it slip from his grasp. "You knew about that?! Well, why the hell didn't you help?!"

"You had it under control." Batman said, sitting at the terminal and watching the video feeds of drones he had flying around different cities.

"You sure?" Barry finally spoke up, mouth full of toppings. "Because we were pretty screwed before Hal and that alien chick showed up."

Batman, as usual, chose to ignore the point Barry had risen and instead brought the subject back to his own concerns. "I had more pressing matters to attend to. Leaguers are disappearing. I assume that it's a similar situation to the Titans. I have anyone that's not compromised out looking for them right now."

"Well, that would explain how empty this place is..." Barry murmured, swallowing whatever bits of food that were left in his mouth. "Who exactly is missing?"

Instead of replying, Batman simply clicked on a small folder on the monitor which folded in on itself and ejected headshots of different Justice League members. The group's eyes scanned the photographs from left to right, only Barry recognising all of them.

First was Beatriz Bonilla da Costa, named 'Fire' by the media due to the green flames that engulfed her entire body. Next was her partner Tora Olafsdotter, called 'Ice' when in uniform because of her varying control over the element. Then came Hawkgirl, Zatanna, Black Canary.... and Shazam. Barry held his breath when he saw Billy Batson's picture. He was only a kid, and not only that, it would take some of their biggest hitters to knock him out.

Barry had resigned himself to thinking that it would be Superman that would take him on, but when he saw the last picture his heart dropped. "No..."

Clark Kent's picture was right at the end, undoubtedly the most recent to vanish. The symbol on his chest was only just cut off by the frame, but he had that unmistakable smile shining on his face.

"Clark?..." Wally muttered in shock. "Surely there's been a misunderstanding. Are you sure he didn't just take a break from crime fighting?"

"He would have informed me." Bruce said without a shred of doubt.

Wally was obviously ready to argue that point, but Barry believed him. Clark hated making people worry. He was constantly pinging his whereabouts encase Bruce became paranoid, as he often did, and checking in on the other members of the team. He was like the father of the group. He wouldn't completely vanish unless something was wrong.

"If Yan's got the big guy... then our chances are looking slimmer by the minute." Barry sighed. "But he's an alien right? We have no guarantee that her mind tricks work on him."

"He was raised on Earth." Bruce responded. "His thoughts are primarily human."

"But his molecules aren't... Maybe his brain's made out of something Yan can't penetrate."

"Hawkgirl's missing too though." Wally pointed out. "And she's an alien as well."

"Not all alien's are the same, Wally." Barry tossed the now empty Pizza box into a nearby bin. It didn't fit entirely into it, resulting in half of the rubbish sticking out. "Have you checked Clark's apartment? Maybe he's just busy."

"He's not the only one missing, and Metropolis isn't exactly close by." Bruce said simply.

"You mean you haven't checked?!" Wally said in disbelief. "What kind of search are you conducting here?"

"Instead of whinging, maybe you should go and take a look for yourself." Bruce growled in a way that forced Wally to tightly shut his mouth. "He won't be there but at least you can pretend to be useful."

Any smart-ass reply that Wally could have mustered was held back by how tight his throat suddenly felt. Bruce could be incredibly intimidating when he wanted to be... which was all the time.

"Well, I don't think checking his apartment is such a bad idea." Barry spoke, and by the time Wally had turned around he was already holding Mineko in his arms. "Let's go."

This seemed to lift his spirits a little, or enough to get him moving. The thought of having to face not only Shazam, but Superman as well, had made him feel physically ill for the last few minutes. Now there was hope that he was just at home writing another article for The Daily Planet. That optimism was what drove him forward as he rushed towards Metropolis.

The apartment complex wasn't too difficult to find, but  Clark's place was located at the very top floor. It sported a large window that looked directly at the brick wall of the structure beside it. The room wasn't exactly luxurious, but it was certainly discreet enough considering that it was in the middle of the city. It was small though, with less room than even Barry's place.

The apartment clearly gave away Clark's bachelorhood. Everything was functional. The kitchen counter was where he placed unread mail and his key when he was home. On the coffee table was a laptop with a document still left open. It was an article he was likely working on for The Daily Planet about the positive effects of allowing animals to stay in retirement homes. Under the small eating table was a pack of beer, which Wally was a little surprised to see, and he could just guess that the fridge held meals for one... if any at all (Clark didn't need to eat to survive, though he still did it out of enjoyment). He clearly wasn't hopeless though, he knew one end of a vacuum cleaner from the other so the floor was pretty much spotless. He had modern looking newspaper prints on the wall and a small photo of his folks on a side table. He'd never decorated, that's for sure, but that was probably part of his entire charade. If he decorated, he'd look a little less boring, and that would conflict with his disguise.

"Clark?" Barry finally called out after a thorough glance around the empty room. "You here?"

No answer came but the slight creaking of the wind against the window pane. Barry exhaled sharply with apparent disappointment, but still motioned for both Wally and Mineko to start searching the place. The first place Barry looked was the cupboard where, to his delight, he found an only half eaten packet of chips. They were some weird, exotic flavor he'd likely picked up on the other side of the globe but that mattered little to the speedster. When he was hungry, taste wasn't a primary concern.

"What do you reckon his wifi password is?" Wally called from the other room.

"How am I suppose to know?"

Wally walked passed the small side table and picked up a picture of Jonathan and Martha Kent. Clark was in the middle, both arms linked over their shoulders and smiling goofily. "Look at this loser... I bet his password's just 'password'."

Barry rolled his eyes. "That loser's saved your hide more times than I can count on both hands."

Wally pouted his lips then scoffed, bringing his phone out and attempting to connect to his network. "Pfft... It is just password. How is this guy Superman?"

"I have found his telecommunication device." Mineko interrupted from the living room and Barry hurried in, chips clutched firmly in his left hand.

"Why would Clark leave his mobile just lying around?" Wally asked in confusion.

"He wouldn't." Barry replied, starting to believe more by the second that Superman really had been taken by the enemy. "Here, let me have a look. We might find something that can tell us what happened."

The woman passed the device to Barry, their hands briefly touching as the exchange took place.

"Dude, do you even know his passcode?" Wally questioned.

"This is Clark we're talking about. I'm surprised he has a lock installed on his door, let alone security on his phone." Barry said, pressing the middle button and watching the screen flash on. As expected, there was no passcode needed. 

There was barely anything on Clark's phone besides a call and text option, no apps, no videos, and only a handful of songs. Barry scoured the device until he finally came to his text messages.

Jimmy Olsen
1 week ago

Jimmy: you coming 2 work C.K?  
sent at 10:00am

You: Yeah, Pal.
Just forgot something at home;
I'll be there in a hot minute.
sent at 10:12am

Jimmy: don't mean to pester
but perry's looking for you
sent at 10:58am

You: Sorry, Jim.
I found what I was looking for then I realised that I forgot something else! But on my way back to the apartment  I must've dropped my keys and had to retrace my steps to find them. Turns out that thing I forgot was in my pocket the whole time.
What a day... I'm on my way.
I'll be there in another hot minute.
sent at 11:30am

Jimmy: wow -.- ur more forgetful than me lol 
sent at 11:37am

Wally, who was peering over Barry's shoulder at the text messages, reaches into the bag of chips Barry was eating and plucked out a handful. He then shoved the lot into his mouth, then said whilst chewing on them "What is a 'hot minute'? What does that even mean? Is it a specific measurement of time? Like, when you expose a minute to extreme temperatures does it contract and get shorter?"

"Shut up for a sec, Wally." Barry murmured as he continued searching Clark's phone.

"Dude, just saying." Wally deflected.

"Why don't you 'just say' somewhere else? I'm conducting an investigation."

"Looking through your friend's texts is not an investigation." He replied with crossed arms.

"Shh." Barry hushed him, exiting out of Jimmy's name and tapping on someone else's.

Lois Lane
2 days ago

Lois: You're late again, Kent.
sent at 9:04am

Lois: Massive fire downtown, suspected to be deliberate. Perry wants us both down there asap. Meet me there in ten.
sent at 9:06am

Lois: Kent? Where are you?
sent at 9:20am

Lois: Kent?
sent at 9:30am

Lois: You call yourself an investigative reporter? Two buildings were gutted by this arsonist, Superman saved everyone inside, and you missed the whole thing.
You're terrible.
If you think I'm sharing the by-line you're crazy.
sent at 10:00am

You: Oh gee, sorry Lois.
I must've slept in.
I can come over now
and help you write it.
sent at 10:30am

Lois: Nice try Smallville, but it's still mine.
No roosters to wake you up in the big smoke, farm boy. Maybe try one of them new-fangled alarm clock dohickeys.
sent at 10:41am

You: Laugh it up. And FYI, dohickey was
pa's favourite word, not mine.
sent at 10:41am

Barry tapped out of that conversation as Wally once again submitted his valued opinion "Well, that was just boring work talk."

As Barry scrolled down the contacts, Wally suddenly blurted "Oh, is that Supergirl? The hot blonde chick?"

"Dude, she's his cousin."

Wally shrugged. "Well she's not my cousin. Get into it, I wanna see."

Kara Danvers
Yesterday

You: Hey, kiddo.
How's school?
sent at 1:15pm

Kara: heyy cuz! history and english are interesting
but i know everything in math and science already.
stuff's really different here but i'm doing good
sent at 1:15pm

You: Mm, is that why you're texting me during class?
sent at 1:15pm

Kara: lol what it's lunchtime silly xD
sent at 1:15pm

You: Nope, lunch ended at 12:30 young lady.
sent at 1:15pm

Kara: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
sent at 1:15pm

You: Nice try though. I'm glad you're doing okay.
I'll see you soon. <3
sent at 1:15pm

Kara: ily <3
sent at 1:15pm

You: Ily? Typo?
sent at 1:15pm

Kara: it means i love you, dummy
sent at 1:15pm

You: I knew that. ;)
sent at 1:15pm

Kara: no u didn't xD
ur just jealous that i understand more earth stuff than u
sent at 1:15pm

You: ily ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
sent at 1:15pm

Kara: ಠ_ಠ
sent at 1:15pm

Barry once again exited the conversation, scrolling through the remaining list of contacts. He saw his own name and kept scrolling.

"Hey, wait a sec!" Wally said, grabbing another handful of the chips and shoving them into his mouth. "Go back, I wanna see your conversation."

"Uhh... nah." Barry said nervously. "It's private."

"... You talk to him about me, don't you?"

Barry's eyes briefly flicked towards Mineko and he muttered "No, not about you."

He anxiously looked back away from the woman with a heavy sigh. Even before he had that long conversation with Wally, he had been texting with Clark about his situation. He didn't exactly want others peering into those talks.

Desperate for a distraction, he finally found Bruce's name and noticed the intrigue that suddenly engulfed both Wally and Mineko. He clicked on it without hesitation.

Bruce Wayne
2 years ago

Bruce: Clark, only use this number to inform me of your location at least three times a day (9:00am, 12:00pm, and 6:00pm). Any less and I'll assume you're M.I.A, understood?
sent at 4:15pm

Clark: Don't worry, Bruce. I'll check in whenever I'm in the solar system.
sent at 4:16pm

Bruce: Let me know if you leave the solar system.
Sent at 4:19pm

Clark: Sure thing, Pal.
sent at 4:20pm

1 year ago

Bruce: ?
sent at 12:01pm

You: Sorry, Bruce.
I was off world.
I'm at my apartment now
watching Blue Hawaii.
sent at 12:32pm

Bruce: ... That movie's terrible. Shouldn't you be doing something useful with your time?
sent at 12:34pm

You: Like what?
Sit in front of a computer all day,
texting all my colleagues
and demanding locations?
sent at 12:37pm

Bruce: ... Touché.
sent at 12:40pm

7 months ago

Bruce: ??
sent at 9:01am

You: At a United Nations
press conference.
sent at 9:05am

5 months ago

Bruce: ??
sent at 12:01pm

You: Not now.
In a meeting with the president.
sent at 12:10pm

Bruce: You should have told me beforehand.
sent at 12:14pm

You: I don't see this stuff coming,
it just happens.
sent at 12:20pm

Bruce: Right. Don't you have x-ray vision?
sent at 12:25pm

You: Don't joke.
It doesn't suit you.
sent at 12:29pm

2 months ago

Bruce: ??
sent at 6:01pm

You: Sorry, fell asleep. Big day.
sent at 7:00pm

Bruce: I saw.
sent at 7:02pm

Yesterday

You: Hey Bruce, I'm at the Planet
Working on a story for Perry.
I'll be on an interstellar mission
from 5 until early tomorrow.
So don't stress if I don't ping my location tonight.
sent at 12:00pm

Bruce: Noted.
sent at 12:01pm

Today

Bruce: ??
sent at 9:01am

Bruce: ??
sent at 9:20am

Bruce: ???
sent at 9:24am

Bruce: ???
sent at 9:30am

Bruce: ???
sent at 10:00am

Bruce: ???
sent at 11:00am

Bruce: ????
sent at 12:01pm

Bruce: ?????
sent at 12:30pm

"Jesus Christ..." Wally swore under his breath. The messages from Bruce just kept going, the most recent series of question marks being sent exactly two minutes ago... and it was 4:00pm. "This guy's like a clingy girlfriend."

"Tell me about it..." Barry mopped. "You still want to be a part of the Justice League? Cause this is what you have to deal with. Seriously. My phone broke and I couldn't reply for one day and he already had a search party out looking for me."

"I... think I'm happy being a Titan." Wally muttered. "You know what Dick does when he wants to know where I am?... He calls me. Like a normal human being. He doesn't send me obnoxious question marks and expect an answer."

"I'm surprised that guy turned out so well, considering who was raising him."

"You and me both."

"There's one from Wally." Mineko suddenly broke through their conversation, leaning over Barry and pressing her finger to the screen.

Wally West
Yesterday

Wally: Sup.
Stole this number from Barry.
This reporter extraordinaire Clark Kent? It's Wally, by the way, fastest man alive... not including you or Barry.
sent at 2:00pm
seen at 2:10pm

Wally: Hello? You don't mind that I got this number do you?
sent at 2:30pm

Wally: ... You do mind, don't you? Oh god, this is my worst nightmare.
sent at 4:00pm

Wally: ()
sent at 5:30pm

Wally's entire expression dropped. "He saw my first message! I knew that he saw it!... oh my god he doesn't like me. Superman, the nicest guy in the galaxy, doesn't like me!"

Barry raised an eyebrow at the panicking man and sighed. He was seriously just a younger version of himself... it was like looking into a mirror, but a very anxious and jumpy mirror. "That's not it, Wally. Clark wouldn't have ignored your text willingly. Even if he didn't like you, he'd still speak to you."

"S-So then...?" Wally's voice wavered but he appeared a little calmer than before.

"He was taken just after he saw your message." Barry said confidently. "We better take this back to Bruce. Knowing the exact time could be useful."

"Right! Of course! Why wouldn't he like me?! It all makes total sense now." Wally laughed nervously and slipped the phone out of Barry's hand. "I got the mobile, you got the girl."

Wally zoomed off without even waiting for an argument. Not that Barry was going to anyway. He rubbed the back of his head sheepishly and directed for Mineko to come closer.

"Ready to go, Mini?"

"Mini?" The woman questioned.

"Uh, yeah... like a nickname? I've been thinking about it for a while." Barry muttered nervously. "Because it feels too formal always saying your full name, and it's funny because your... not mini."

Mineko cocked her head at the man and the lump in his throat shifted further up. "Th-That's not to say that you're fat or anything! But you're just tall and muscular and... uhh it's okay if you don't like it."

"It's not that I do not like it." Mineko said mindfully. "But is it not a little lazy to shorten someone's name like that?"

"Well, Barry's short for Bartholomew but everyone calls be Barry anyway. It's more casual."

"Your name's Bartholomew?..." Mineko said cluelessly, and slightly mortified. "W-Why did you not tell me earlier! I have been incredibly disrespectful by not using it."

"Well, I prefer Barry."

"But it is disrespectful! Technically, I should still be calling you Ser Allen... When did I stop calling you that?! I have brought embarrassment to my monastery... I beg your forgiveness." She bowed lowly, form shaking in a way Barry had never expected out of the girl. Oh god... she was becoming more like him by the second.

"N-No! It's fine I... shouldn't have brought it up. I really would prefer that you keep calling me Barry."

Mineko paused, only now realising how tense she had become. In her own time even many close friends were still not on a first name basis. Still, she was in a different time. She had overreacted, and that caused a flush of embarrassment to brighten her cheeks.

"I... apologise. If 'Mini' is a sign of friendship than I..." The woman tried to avoid Barry's gaze, hoping that he couldn't see how red her face had gotten. "I would like for you to call me that."

Barry's lips curved into a smile. He could clearly see the colour that had brushed onto her face, and felt a little less humiliated by her nervous reaction. He had never seen her blush before. Hell, he'd never seen her genuinely smile until recently. He attempted to engrave the expression in his mind, because he doubted that it would become a common look for Mineko to wear... and he thought it was kind of cute though it wasn't suiting of the usually blunt warrior.

"We should go." Mineko said, apparently trying to bring the attention away from her uneasiness.

"Yeah, we should." Barry replied, smile only widening the longer she averted her eyes from his. He scooped her up, and she gave a surprised squeak when he did so, arms automatically wrapping around his neck. "Hold on tight."

Mineko took a deep breath, attempting to calm herself down before flicking her gaze up to meet his. "I always do."

—————————————-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.4K 269 49
On the night the Particle Accelerator went off, it caused a freak storm that spread its Dark Matter all throughout Central City. That is when ordinar...
279K 9.7K 53
After surviving a bank robbery, with much thanks to Aquaman, Camille decides to complete her training to join the police force; to help people like h...
2.4K 105 11
A voice in the Speed Force reaches Barry in his Timeless state to convince him to come home. Barry misses that voice once he's back in real-time, but...
8.9K 347 25
Young Justice Fanfic ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rewritten ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Noire is a superhero tha...