FREAKS || Jerome Valeska¹

By Inspired_By_Insanity

〖Book one: Reese Nygma Trilogy〗 Season 1: ❝I can't cover this hole in my chest anymore You twiste... More

*Before We Begin - A/N
Intro:
*Season 1
01 || A Riddle and A Joke
02 || Charisma
03 || More Than Enough
04 || Two Broken Hearts
05 || A Liar
06 || 'Apology'
07 || Unforgettable Night
08 || Beautiful Madness
• • Playlist S1 • •
*Season 2
10 || Arkham's Ginger
11 || Riddle Me This
12 || Troubled Doll
13 || Teenage Boy in Love
14 || Breakout
15 || Ladies & Gentlemen
16 || Oh No!
17 || Familiar
18 || I Know You
19 || Sickos & Fortune Tellers
20 || Rodolfo & Julieta
21 || The Bloody Night
22 || Heart Ache
23 || Fate
24 || Alter Ego
25 || Sedate
26 || Hereditary
27 || Bitter Sweet
28 || All Is Fair
29 || Don't Look Back
30 || Stagecraft
• • Playlist S2 • •
*Season 3
31 || Before Time's Up
32 || New Beginnings

09 || Curiosity Killed The Cat

5.6K 205 96
By Inspired_By_Insanity

The transport bus stopped in front of the large building called Blackgate. My body jolted forward upon the abrupt halt of the vehicle. Murmurs came from the bored female detainees who were riding along with me. Some were upset because they had done nothing wrong. Others didn't care. They had been here a billion times.

It didn't make sense to me that these women were acting seriously. If you were gonna kill someone, why act this way now? Bet you they were glad to kill that person. Isn't Blackgate the perfect place to meet people like you?

"You girls are all so boring," I commented jokingly. They looked at me, scowling. A snicker escaped me before looking away. "At least smile."

Before anyone could begin talking back, the bus doors opened. Two guards entered and explained the procedure by which we would be taken out of the bus — the boring stuff. We were pulled out in an organized manner, escorted in a straight line as if we were in the freaking military. Whilst we were doing so, I began humming a tune to distract myself from the boredom.

"Shut up, will ya!" The older woman in front of me sneered. My tune paused for about two seconds, and I smirked to myself. I proceeded to hum all over again to annoy her, and it worked because she let out a groan.

Bothering people seemed quite fun. Even though this whole thing was starting out boring, I hoped Blackgate was worth my time.

|  +  |

I was wrong.

Blackgate was never worth my time.

It's boring as hell! It's literally like the GCPD, but worse. Full of law, order, and criminals that don't know shit. A week passed since I arrived, and every day has been nearly the same - Wake up, exit our tiny cells, get fed, do laundry work, and then get our 'recess'. Besides that, my job was to avoid fights with inmates, getting taunted, being forced/bribed into having sex with the ladies, or getting killed.

It was exhausting.

And things I've already done.

Edward did come and visit, but not today. He came almost all week, which was the only good thing. He could come to visit me, considering that it was lonely here. Females are visited less than males; that's a fact. To say Ed was horrified at the living conditions is an understatement.

But besides all that, Blackgate isn't worth what I did. Not exciting enough.

My cellmate was a woman named Jolie Mills. She murdered her sister with rat poison for sleeping with her husband of two years... Literally no style. If that were me, I would've disfigured both of their faces or worse for that. My crime wasn't grade-A material, but at least I didn't just add powder to other people's food. And I made it last long enough to admire the fear I instilled. People need to get a grip. This whole murdering joint is supposed to be fun.

Anyway, she was also a drug addict and my yes-woman. And she now believed I was her only friend. Only because I couldn't do anything but sit here and listen to her long ass sob story.

I was sitting on my bunk, on top, reading a psychology book. Edward had kindly brought it for me, figuring that days were rough for me. My passion is (was) psychology, and throughout high school (Well, what I accomplished of it), I had big dreams and aspirations of being a psychologist. That is actually ironic now because a psychologist would deem me insane now.

Even if I didn't have a passion for this field, this book, to be honest, wasn't doing a very good job distracting me. Learning about Sigmund Freud's sexist theory of 'penis envy' wasn't interesting to me now that I was stuck behind bars. Nor will it ever be... but now less.

"Why are we in Blackgate and not at Arkham again?"

"'Cause it should be easier to get out of Blackgate on good conduct rather than Arkham," I replied, reading my book. Jolie glanced confusedly from her spot on the ground. She was mindlessly playing with her blonde hair.

The alter ego groaned. "But this is boring! I bet Arkham is so much more fun?"

My lips puckered, pondering. I raised an eyebrow. "You really think so?"

"Huh?" Jolie replied, looking up from her hair with perplexity.

I pointed at her. "Shush. I'm not talking to you." She stared at me, offended that I had told her to shut up. A shrug lifted her shoulders before she looked away from me. I rolled my eyes at the nosey woman.

"YES! You know what else would be fun?"

"What?"

"Killing someone to get to Arkham...", She replied, my eyes widened. She hummed, "But it has to be someone who has been annoying since day one."

"Annoying?" I scoffed humorously at the idea of just killing one person, If I had to kill the most annoying person, I'd end up burning Blackgate to the ground.

She chuckled amusedly, "Not a bad idea. But I mean someone who gets on your nerves."

Right now? I raised an eyebrow, thinking. Suddenly, it came to me. A wide, mischievous smirk stretched, and I turned to the blonde girl on the ground, "Hey, Jolie." My voice came out more in a sing-song tone.

Jolie looked up from her hair, letting her green eyes pierce mine, "What?"

"My wonderful friend -" I began feigning a kind tone, "Would you do me a favor?"

Her eyes narrowed at me, "Depends..."

"I need your dope dealer to smuggle in some things I need." I beamed.

The blonde shined her teeth with a smirk. "As long as you tell me what your plan is, and I want to be part of it."

"Jolie..." I chuckled, "Of course, you're part of the plan."

The smirk remained on her lips, believing this was truly good for her. Little did she know, curiosity killed the cat.

|  +  |

Another two days passed. I started to get impatient. Honestly, how hard was it to smuggle what I wanted?

Jolie and I sat on a cafeteria table, bored as hell. There was no ruckus; if there ever was, the reason was stupid. Like, who the hell gives a shit if someone's staring at you?

"Well, look what we have here, Lindy?" A voice stated from behind. I turned to face the 'top dogs' in the female section. Casey Alvarado and Linda Caddel. They were always teasing me because I was a rookie. Honestly, it was getting on my nerves already.

I smiled at the two older women, hiding the annoyance I felt. "Hey, you guys come to bitch at me? Bark no bite?" They sent me vicious glares.

Casey's hand grabbed me roughly by the throat, making me gag at the harshness. "Listen, you little bitch, let it be the last time you talk to us like that." She sneered, letting her hazel-colored eyes glare at mine. She then glanced at her girlfriend. "You still owe Linda."

I snorted. "I'm not having sex with her." My hands roughly pushed her off, glaring at the insinuation. "Fuck off." The two ladies glared at me, looking like they were about to force me into it. My jaw fell. "Are you serious?... I'm a fucking minor, you disgusting hoes."

"You weren't acting like a minor when you tried to kill that girl, were you?"

I scoffed. "That's not the same."

"My jail, my rules. What I want goes." Linda snapped. I scoffed, but I was somewhat afraid of the situation I was being put into. "See ya tomorrow morning, Nygma. If you hide from me, you're dead." With that, they walked away from me.

My head twisted to Jolie, whose eyes were wide like mine. "You need to get me those things now... like today." I sneered; she stared at me as if I had grown another head. "I'm not having sex with that pedophile. You're gonna get me those things, or I'll kill you." The blonde girl quickly nodded upon hearing my words. She got up and went to talk on the phone, I hoped her dealer.

Soon, we were escorted to the small cells from the recreational room. Jolie got pulled out of our cell about an hour later because they told her she had a visit. So, I was left to lay on my bed, reading my book... again.

"Reese!" Jolie exclaimed as my cell door was opened minutes later. I quickly sat up on my bed anxiously. She and the guard exchanged knowing looks, making me gag internally. The blonde entered the cell and handed me a black bag once the guard left. "Here you go."

A grin etched on my lips, taking the bag. I looked inside it to find everything I needed. I took out the small lighter, ignited it, and stared at the flame in awe.

"You're so lucky you're my friend 'cause that guard wasn't enjoyable at all." She muttered, making my nose scrunch up in distaste. Curiously, I stretched my tongue, moving it over the scorching flame. I didn't mind the pain. "When are we going through with the plan?"

My lips curled into a smirk as I pulled my sore tongue from the fire. I let go of the lever, turning off the small lighter. Blood was the new, lasting taste in my mouth.

"Tonight," I answered, beaming with a smile. A giggle left my lips. "They are burning tonight."

|  +  |

"Lights out!"

I smirked upon receiving my cue, laying on my bunk.

The jail guards had been so gullible that Jolie stole their cell keys. We waited a couple of minutes before getting off of our bunks. I held my things in my hand. Soon, we were standing in front of Linda and Casey's cell. Those two were going to pay for trying to force me to do something I didn't want to do. They really thought tomorrow was coming... Well, it's not.

My hand twisted the small gasoline bottle open, the pungent odor protruding. I held it away from my body and between the bars. The gas spilled along the inside of the cell, causing the two girls to wake up. I pulled the bottle back before they could see it.

"What are you doing?" Jolie hissed, and fear radiated off of her immediately. "They're waking up."

"I know." I spat.

Casey was the first to reach us, standing behind the cell. I glanced down momentarily, watching her feet stand on the wet floor. "What the hell are you doing? How did you get out?"

Jolie lifted the cell keys above her head. "I have my ways."

"I had her steal them... I came to pay the debt." I replied while shrugging.

Linda frowned. "Already?"

I nodded. "Not in the way you were thinking, though." Jolie raised the shiny knife, making their eyes widen slightly. "I really don't appreciate being cornered and controlled." The women chuckled; Casey slightly nervous.

Linda chuckled, coming up beside Casey. "So, what? You came to scare us? Let me tell you we will have you both on the ground before you attempt to cross that door."

"Well, let me tell you... I'm not stupid." I replied with a smirk before flicking the gasoline bottle to let the flammable liquid fly on them. They flinched. "I knew that already. Plus, I didn't come to scare you."

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Casey screeched. I ignited the lighter. Their yelling immediately made many prisoners wake up. "Is this gasoline?!"

"Yeah... I came to kill you." Before either could react, I tossed the lighter into the cell carelessly. Quickly, the gas caught fire, engulfing their bodies. The females screamed for mercy as their skin sizzled. My eyes stared at the flames in awe, and I tossed the gasoline bottle inside the cell; the entire room was a burning mess. The heat was almost unbearable. And it was beginning to smell like burnt flesh and death. Ruckus erupted from the other inmates once they realized what happened.

My eyes squinted at the flames. "Huh? Well... they did believe they were hot." I laughed hard at my joke just as the fire alarms began to blare.

"That was so damn lame."

"You're right.", I laughed.

Jolie giggled. "What's next on your plan? Prison break?" She pointed at the shiny weapon I had just taken from her hand. "What's the knife for?"

My lips curled upwards manically. "Well, I did say you were part of the plan..." Her expression contorted with confusion, and I almost whacked her behind the head. People never listen - Drugs aren't good for you. Before she could acknowledge, I rammed the knife into the middle of her abdomen. She gasped in pain. I twisted it lightly and frowned falsely. "I'm so sor - Actually, wait, I'm not. I need you to die... Cause you're my ticket out of here, too." The knife was pulled from her stomach, making a squeaking noise leave her mouth before collapsing. Upon hearing a pair of running footsteps, I dropped the knife onto the ground.

Guards soon tackled me onto the ground. They yelled at each other - To stop the fire and others to take me away to confinement. Laughter sprang from my lips, finding it hilarious that they could do nothing.

"Shut the hell up, Nygma!" One of the guards screamed while he assisted, dragging me away. "You'll regret it!"

I snorted. "Oh, yeah?... Fucking bite me!"

|  +  |

The Blackgate interrogation room is so damn cold.

That was all she was thinking as she sat there quietly, faint goosebumps rising on her olive skin. Her hands were clasped in front of her tightly, fingers toying anxiously. She didn't know how many times her tongue had licked her lips or how many times she had gnawed on the inside of her lip - the skin had become a different texture.

Hums escaped her lips every so often to calm down the boredom.

"Shh!"

The girl raised an eyebrow and paused her humming. Her head snapped to look at one of the guards standing at the far corner of the room, hands clasped behind his back. She gave him a dirty look for interrupting her so rudely. What's up with people hating my humming? It's harmless.

"Just like you?", The voice retorted inside her mouth jokingly.

"Exactly.", She replied, rolling her eyes.

Snorting, the voice spoke again, "Oh, harmless enough to leave Casey and Linda looking like fried chicken."

Uncontrollable giggles left the teen's lips. "Now that was hilarious." Commented the girl, but the unexpected behavior caused the guards to send her a weird look. "What? Stop being so nosy." The men glared at her before exchanging a look.

Before more conversations could form inside her head, the metal door behind her opened. Jim Gordon and Leslie Thompkins came into the cold room, both of whom were and looked unpleased to be there.

Jim was disappointed. Telling Edward that his sister was more than likely going to be transferred to Arkham wasn't easy. And with him being a friend of Reese, it was not pleasant to see her transform into someone else. There was nothing left of her. It pained him not to have noticed the signs of her evil.

Reese looked behind her and grinned. "Jim. Lee. It's been so long." Was the first thing she said - A greeting if you will. Yet, neither showed signs of being happy with her. She knew it was understandable for them to question the new her. The last time they'd seen her was at the GCPD with her bawling over a lie told. Her change in behavior obviously took them by surprise. The girl waited for them to settle into an uncomfortable atmosphere. Jim sat right in front while Leslie opted to stand behind him. "How's life been for you, guys?"

No response. Blank stares.

"Why did you do this, Reese?" Questioned Jim, countering the silence that had begun to settle. He wanted to get straight to the point and make it as quick as possible.

The girl's eyebrow quirked up, and her lips twisted, forming an amused smirk. "Jimbo, that is no way to greet an old friend..." The air seemed to thicken, and Lee glanced off the girl, feeling disturbed by her tone. The voice of someone who had lost their sane mind. "Where are your manners?"

"Why, Reese?" Jim demanded to know.

She sat quiet, debating if she should reveal the pending truth. It took her a while, but the ultimate decision was to say it. The girl leaned over the table, coming closer to Jim. "Because she convinced me to." She whispered before sitting back against her chair.

Leslie knit her eyebrows together, "She?... Who's she?" She questioned curiously.

Hesitation coursed through Reese once more. "The other me... She talks to me in my head."

"When did this start?" Lee asked again, frowning.

Ree's lips puckered, her mind beginning to travel back in time. When these things began to happen often. She was sixteen and living under the same roof as her father - she had reached a breaking point. That same month, she moved into the loft with Edward and began school. Right before the bullying happened.

"Before I moved in with Ed... It was first just her voice -" She whispered, her voice distanced. "Then I saw her." Her eyes connected back with Jim's in an attempt to seem not bothered. She smirked. "She told me to do bad things... and I finally did. I'm free now."

Lee looked over at Jim. "Psychosis."

"I knew you were going to say something like that." She huffed, shaking her head at the adults, disappointed. "How's Evelyn?... Did she die like I wanted her to?"

"She's alive..." Jim responded, internally not believing the words he was hearing.

They caused the girl to frown and roll her eyes. She thought of everything she could've done to ensure Evelyn died. The blonde detective's eyes glanced at the door behind her. She narrowed her eyes suspiciously but then smirked upon realization. "She's here, isn't she?"

They looked at each other with hesitance. Evelyn hadn't yet been released from the hospital, but she had convinced Jim. Every lie Reese had said would fall apart if the injured girl was there.

Jim gave the medical examiner a tiny nod, and the woman strolled to the metal door. She opened it swiftly, letting in the girl with her parents. The scared mother rolled her daughter in a wheelchair, hands shaking. Their footsteps echoed, followed by the sound of the door closing.

Ree clasped her hands, laying them on top of the table. Her eyes met the electric blue ones of the girl she wasn't fond of. In return, the black-haired girl looked away. The fear radiating off of her. "Nice of you to come visit." Her presence revived a million feelings — anger, pain, and annoyance. Reese then glanced at the girl's parents, who were sending her daggers. "Mr. and Mrs. Ryan, nice to meet you." Evelyn was wheeled beside Jim.

"Evelyn told us how everything happened," Jim announced, his face cold and emotionless. "You lied. You are insane. That's the reason you did it."

"I'm not insane." Reese hissed.

"Yes, you are!" Evelyn's mother cut into the conversation, pointing an accusatory finger. Ree rolled her eyes. Lee placed a hand over her shoulder, asking her to calm down. "You tried to kill my daughter because of jealousy? You're a monster! Insane frea -"

"Shut the fuck up!" Reese shouted, her body shaking with rage. Immediately, the frantic mother stood quiet with wide eyes. Her husband hugged her comfortingly, narrowing his eyes at Reese. The brunette sighed, trying to calm her racing heart before giving Jim a little smile. "Let me guess... 'I shouldn't have done it because she's the sweetest girl ever'. Blah, blah, blah. Well, you're wrong!" She hit her palm against the table, making everyone jump. Her dark eyes looked at Evelyn. "She turned me into the laughingstock of the school. A joke to everyone! She turned my friends against me. I was alone because of her!"

"That's not true!" Her father retorted.

"Were you there?" She countered, glaring at the old spitefully. His nose flared as he quieted. "When my brother had to pick me up from school with a goddamn bloody and bruised face? You have no right to call me a liar." She sneered and looked at Evelyn, who had her head hanging low.

Reese chuckled dryly. "I always knew you were a heartless person, but a coward? You decided to cower now?" Tears flooded the bright blue eyes, but Reese didn't back down. Instead, she clicked her tongue in a scolding manner. "You really just threw me under the bus without taking blame. You didn't tell them you reaped what you sowed, and now we're here." An angry growl escaped - What ignorance. Evelyn began to sob, and maybe it was the guilt of knowing it was her fault. That she coward back on her actions.

Jim shook his head. "You're insane."

A humorous snort escaped the angry girl. "Well, if I'm insane, what is she?" A finger was pointed at Evelyn. The girl flinched at Reese's actions. "What do you call it when someone makes your life a living hell? Makes you feel like crap?"

"You're going to be transferred to Arkham tomorrow morning."

"Well,I don't care. I'm not scared of that." Reese replied before laughing. Evelyn and her met eyes. "I've regretted many things in my seventeen years... trying to kill you wasn't and will never be one of them." Evelyn whimpered.

Jim glared before exchanging looks with the guards. "Take her to her cell." It was then Reese pounced at Evelyn. They quickly pulled her away as the family comforted their daughter.

She screamed exasperatedly, "I hate you! I hate you so much!" Tears finally formed in her eyes. "Everything is your fault! You took it all away from me! I will take your peace!." And she finally broke down.

| + |

I didn't sleep a wink last night. Yesterday's interrogation and screaming played in my mind like an old record. No one cared that I was the one who had been suffering, numb, and alone.

Loud clambering caught my attention - The sound of the metal doors opening to get to my section. I quickly sat up on the poor excuse of a bed, waiting. My heart raced. There was no use in lying to myself. I was afraid that my loss was going to be grander there.

I didn't want to question everything I did once again.

Three men in white suits walked in front of my cell door. It was as if I was an art piece at an exhibition. Eyeing every single one of my tired features. As much as I wanted to act afraid, that part of me had learned it was better to pretend I was the bigger person. Fearless.

"Hello, gentlemen... Can I help you?" I questioned. I was met with glares. A guard, who was beside them, opened my cell. The men entered inside, and I finally noticed the straitjacket. My eyes widened as they began to approach. "You are not going to -"

They pounced before I could finish, pinning me against the wall. I screamed, terrified, and struggled - Bitting, punching, scratching. Whatever I could do not to be put into restraint. The men groaned in pain.

The bigger man looked at his partner in disbelief. "This one is definitely crazy!"

I laughed humored, "Let me go, and I'll show you crazy!"

"Shut it... Hold her down!" The other guy yelled. Soon, I was shoved onto the concrete ground. Rough breaths left me like I was about to hyperventilate.

"Hurry the fuck up!" The first man yelled, wincing as I dug my nails into his arm. It took a while to get me into the straitjacket. My arms had been crossed and tied extremely tightly. Not even my fingers could wiggle at this point.

They dragged me out of the prison cell - I wasn't voluntarily cooperating. I smirked at their annoyed faces. They looked like they were on the brink of punching the crap out of me. So, I stood up and walked beside them, making it easier on them.

As we left, all the other prison inmates began to yell profanities at me. "I'm free, bitches! Enjoy being trapped in your little useless brains!" One of the Arkham guards let out an amused scoff before dragging me out of Blackgate. I giggled. "You guys are so much more fun than Blackgate guards." The men rolled their eyes and walked me to the asylum's transport van.

I was sat on the tiny bench, cuffed at my feet. One of the men climbed into the back, a muzzle held by his hand. I eyed it carefully and glared. Does this son of a bitch really think I'm gonna let him put a muzzle on me?

"Well, you did bite him."

"I'm not an animal."

He came closer, and I pressed my body further against the van wall. The muzzle was brought closer, and I kept moving. "Stop moving!" He snarled, pinning my head against the wall harshly. My eyes closed for a second as I held in a scream of anger. "I'm gonna put this on you. Whether you like it or not!" I glared holes into his skull, breathing heavily into the muzzle on my face. It seemed he was pleased with himself once he got off of me.

I stared into the man's eyes, my eyes crinkling. "Well, that was fun." My voice came out slightly muffled from the thick leather mask on my face. He only let out a huff of annoyance and went to exit the van. I giggled. "Take me home, darling. Arkham!" The man rolled his eyes and slammed the door shut, leaving me in the dark.

"Ah, home sweet home."

Published: 02/08/24

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

271K 12.1K 91
'Gotham.....I'm in Gotham.......I'M IN GOTHAM' Yes, yes you were 'What, what the actual hell is happening, is this a dream? Am I de'- You looked over...
1.3K 22 14
It all starts when you meet him at your job,then things get heated... DUN DUN DUNNN _______________________________________________________ In this b...
13.4K 354 38
Harleen Quinzel was a medical intern working at Arkham Asylum before her life changed forever when she became the psychiatrist for the Joker. Before...
19.8K 509 18
(Y/n) Valeska is the sister of Jeremiah and Jerome, though they treated her as their biological one. (Y/n)'s mother is Lila Valeska while her father...