A Slave to Love

By TheRealBrokenStrings

All Kiana wanted was a night out to forget about her cheating ex boyfriend. Instead, she ended up getting sha... More

Chapter 1: Dead End
Chapter 2: Sitting in a Room Made Up of Only Big White Walls...
Chapter 3: Sinbad and Robin
Chapter 4: Waking Up
Chapter 5: My Spidey Senses are Tingling
Chapter 6: Sinbad and Robin Reunited
Chapter 7: Unless...
Chapter 8: Rubber Ducky
Chapter 9: Crazy Cat Lady
Chapter 10: No Such Thing
Chapter 11: Fractured
Chapter 12: Skipping Stones
Chapter 13: Despicable
Chapter 14: Drama
Chapter 15: Movie Dates
Chapter 16: Fairy Godmother
Chapter 17: Bite Marks
Chapter 18: Late Night Dates
Chapter 19: Best Three out of Five
Chapter 20: Unexciting
Chapter 21: Third Date Rule
Chapter 22: Picnic
Chapter 23: Wet
Chapter 24: New Side
Chapter 25: Taking it Easy
Chapter 26: Bite Me
Chapter 27: Guilt
Chapter 28: Long Time No See
Chapter 29: Tease
Chapter 30: Bad Boys, Bad Boys
Chapter 31: Brawny Idiot
Chapter 32: Pervert
Chapter 33: Numb
Chapter 34: Arrangements
Chapter 35: Eight Legged Friend
Chapter 36: Slave For You
Chapter 37: Chicken Fight
Chapter 38: Stitches
Chapter 39: Blood and Chocolate
Chapter 40: Old Rival
Chapter 41: Babysitter
Chapter 42: Be My Girlfriend, Be My Girlfriend
Chapter 43: Emotional
Chapter 44: Lexi
Chapter 45: The Ball
Chapter 46: Blame
Chapter 47: Provoked
Chapter 48: Trial
Chapter 49: First Snow
Chapter 50: Wicked Witch
Chapter 51: Exile
Chapter 52: Snowfall
Chapter 53: Not About Trust
Chapter 54: Plan
Chapter 55: Something in the Family
Chapter 56: Separation
Chapter 57: Memories
Chapter 58: Eliza
Chapter 59: Deserve
Chapter 60: Going Home
Chapter 61: Welcome
Chapter 63: Merry Christmas
Chapter 64: The Room
Chapter 65: Be Gay Together
Chapter 66: Invited
Chapter 67: Derailed
Chapter 68: Pertinent
Chapter 69: Take Care
Chapter 70: Unconditional Love
Chapter 71: Ready or Not
Chapter 72: Promise
Chapter 73: Forever

Chapter 62: Hot Chocolate

17.1K 474 61
By TheRealBrokenStrings

My whole being seemed to shut down, not believing this was possible but it was, in fact, true. And the minute it took for my brain to comprehend this, I pushed Kyle off of me and opened my eyes.

"Kyle what the fuck?" I hissed, wiping my mouth as Brianna and Chelsea filed in after him, both of them shaking their heads.

"Ignore him," Chelsea said simply as she hugged me. "He's been driving us crazy since you left."

Numbly I hugged her back, too shocked from Kyle to truly enjoy having my friends here with me after all these months.

"Hey Kiana," Brianna smiled, giving me a huge bear hug despite her small frame.

"Hello," I said slowly, still reeling. I turned to Kyle, feeling completely disappointed and horrified and I don't even know what else. "Kyle..."

"Kiana? Is something wrong?" I heard Blade ask, his tone more than a bit worried as he walked into the hall.

"Everything's fine," I said tightly as he came to join me. Chelsea eyed him appreciatively, lips curving into a huge smirk where as Kyle seemed confused and so did Brianna.

"Um...guys?" I fidgeted, wrapping an arm around Blade's waist, seeing him suddenly glaring at Kyle. "Blade?" I tugged on the front of his shirt to get his attention. He looked down at me and I gave him a look. He sighed and looked back up, not glaring anymore. "Blade this is Kyle, Brianna and Chelsea. Guys? This is Blade...my boyfriend." I cringed as I saw Kyle's face drop and then turn into one of anger and hurt.

"Boyfriend?" Chelsea echoed before letting out a sigh. "God damn."

I rolled my eyes, "Come on let's just go. We don't have to stand here all day; I have a whole house to decorate." They started taking off their coats and scarves while Blade looked at me with a clear 'what the fuck do we do now?' look.

I could only shrug in reply as they followed me into the living room.

"Oh hey guys!" Mom said cheerily.

"Hey," they all echoed, Kyle sounding sulky while the girls sounded more cheery.

I sat back down on the floor, unwrapping ornaments as a thought occurred to me. "How did you guys know I was here?" I asked suspiciously as Chelsea sprawled across the couch, Cleopatra style.

She examined her nails as Brianna sat down next to me to help with unwrapping, the picture of relaxation. "Your mom called us. Duh." 

"You haven't changed a bit," I shook my head, smiling a little. Chelsea might act like a bitch sometimes, but she had her moments.

"You have. You're skinnier than before," she said as she scrutinized me. "Eat something."

Mom threw a ball of tissue paper at me. "That's what too much studying and not enough eating does to you." 

I pouted. "Sorry for wanting to pass all my exams."

"I doubt they were that hard," she said doubtfully.

"No trust me, they were hard, even with all the studying." Which I did do, but half of it didn't even stick in my brain since I was so exhausted, lacking food and a bit more worried about my relationship and possible death then passing exams.

"Yeah, well it's hard to study if you're always causing trouble," Blade cracked from his place at the tree. Kyle was next to him, still helping him and Peter place the lights and getting them to work.

"I'm not that bad! You're the one who kept distracting me from my studying," I whipped the ball my mom threw at me at him now, and nailed him right in the face.

He bent down and picked it up, sticking his tongue out at me, "What can I say? I was feeling lonely, and even you need a break sometimes..." his lips curved up into a lazy smile. "Besides, studying is overrated."

"Yeah, well not all of us have already graduated high school," I replied as he threw the ball back, clipping my cheek.

"You make me sound old," he whined.

"How old are you?" Brianna asked curiously, legs folded up under her.

"Eighteen," he replied, rolling his shoulders as he took his turn to pass the lights around to Kyle and fixed up his side.

"Question!" Chelsea raised her hand, looking at him.

"Yes, Chelsea?" he asked in amusement.

"How come your eyes are red?" she asked, scrutinizing him. "Not to be mean or anything but that is really weird."

"Yeah, I know. Trust me, I really wish they weren't red," he sighed. "But they just are."

I thought of Eliza. How would that all have changed if he hadn't been a vampire? I cringed at the thought of him dying back all these years, married to Eliza. Technically he still was married...I think?...but still.

Blade kept his eyes down, focusing solely on the tree and I think even Chelsea realized she hit a bit of a sore spot. She shot me an apologetic look and I simply shook my head at her. It wasn't her fault, it's not like she knew. She just asked a normal question.

"Anyone want hot chocolate?" I asked, getting up.

"Me!" everyone shouted.

"Um...okay then," I chuckled, "Kyle? Care to help me with this heavy order?"

He nodded mutely, still not having spoken since I pushed him away, and followed me into the kitchen. You can see the kitchen from the living room, but with the kettle on it was hard to hear if you were talking quietly.

"Kyle...care to explain to me what happened?" I asked, leaning against one of the counters by the kettle, the cheery yellow paint annoying me now more than making me happy.

"I kissed you. What's so hard to get?" he mumbled and I had to strain to catch it.

"How about why? Especially after all these months; I haven't spoken to you since the day before I left for school," I replied, folding my arms in annoyance as I glared at him.

He came around the breakfast bar and took my hands, brown eyes wide and pleading. "Because I like you Kiana. I've liked you for a long time now and I decided I wasn't going to wait around anymore. I wanted to take advantage of you coming home to do what I've always wanted to do."

"But you didn't think, Kyle. I was gone for months...did you think I wouldn't get a boyfriend? News flash Kyle; I had one before Blade too. It's possible for me to get a guy, or multiple, if I wanted. If you wanted to 'seize the moment' you should have done it this summer," I practically hissed before taking a deep breath to calm myself down. I pulled my hands out of his, rubbing my temple for a second.

"Okay look. I'm not afraid to admit that I liked you, a lot, over the summer. But you never once asked me or anything. I was waiting for you to do something but you never did. I certainly wasn't going to make a move because frankly, if you don't think I was worth it enough to ask me out or something why should I bother with you?" I said quietly, rubbing my wrists awkwardly. "But since I've been at school..."

"Yeah, yeah. You've got a perfect boyfriend and you're in love. I get it," he muttered, starting to leave the kitchen.

"Kyle would you just listen for one second?" I grabbed his arm, yanking him back. "Yes, I have a boyfriend. Do I love him? Yes I do, more than I thought was even possible. But Kyle you're still one of my best friends. Why can't you just be happy for me instead of beating me down?"

"Because it's just wrong. He is not good enough for you. A guy like that doesn't deserve a girl like you. You deserve way better than him," he said bitterly.

In the living room, I saw Blade's face fall before he wiped it all away behind a mask. Kyle hit a sore spot. Blade's insecurities were far greater in number than they used to be after my birthday.

"A guy like that? Like what, Kyle? Explain it to me. Because you don't even know him so I'd love to hear what you think he's like."

"All the guys you date are the same; they're always a bunch of selfish assholes who always treat you like crap. I really doubt he's any different." 

"What the fuck? You met him for two seconds and you're making your assumptions based on what? Petty jealousy? Seriously Kyle, grow up. Blade is amazing. He takes care of me, he took me in after my room mate got mauled, he's been keeping me eating while I study and stress, he's been protecting me and he's the sweetest guy I've ever met. He's exactly what I deserve and more to the point, he is who I want to be with. Sure he makes mistakes, but who doesn't? Perfection isn't real." I fixed his eyes with mine, stepping forward. "If you can't respect me, my choices, or my boyfriend, then you're going to have to leave. I'm not going to let you be in my house while you act like a sulky child. So pull it together or get the hell out of here. I love him. Deal with it."

There was a long pause before he finally responded, expression cold and mean, and not a look I'd ever received from him in all the years I'd known him. It made me feel sick.

"You know Kiana, Chelsea hasn't changed. Neither has Brianna or even me. But you have. And I think you changed for the worst. I hope you're happy with that guy. I heard you live together. Sleeping together every night must be awesome," he said icily before he stalked out of the kitchen to the door.

I froze, hearing the kettle flick off but I couldn't even move. It felt like I had just been slapped in the face, too shocked to feel the real burn but a few moments after I did.

I turned around, blinking to hide my tears as I started making hot chocolate. Two arms wound around my waist and I dropped what I was doing, turning to bury my face in Blade's neck, struggling not to cry.

"Don't listen to him," he soothed, "He's just being a jerk."

"I know. But that doesn't make it hurt any less," I whispered, eyes squeezed shut tight. I pulled away, cradling his face in my hands. "Don't take what he said seriously either Blade. I love you and I don't want anyone else. You're not perfect but that's not what I'm looking for. We all make mistakes, that doesn't make me love you any less."

He took one of my hands, his fingers entwining in mine. "I know. It's just...it's hard to hear someone say it sometimes. Especially after what I did." 

"Hey..." I ran my fingers through his hair, smiling at him. "Don't worry about it. I'm over it." Okay, maybe I wasn't entirely. But I was trying to be, and that was what counted.

He leaned his forehead against mine and my eyes closed. "He was right. You really are too good."

"It hardly has to do with being good. It has more to do with the fact that I find it increasingly hard to stay angry at you. Plus I have better ways to spend my time than being miserable." I gave him a kiss until my mom interrupted.

"Hey! I thought you were making hot chocolate, not making out!" she called, laughing.

I pulled away, resisting the urge to roll my eyes as we prepared the hot chocolate and headed over to the living room again, everyone taking a hot chocolate break.

"Where'd Kyle go?" Mom asked, eating the whipped topping and marshmallows of her hot chocolate with a spoon.

"Like I know, like I care," I snorted. If he's going to act like that I rather he not be around at all. Blade tossed me a look but I ignored him. Yeah it hurt that he did that, but what I could do? Better to just kick him out then slap him silly. Besides, he had zero right to say any of that shit to me. He didn't own me. So what if he liked me? He had his chance and he didn't take it. He couldn't expect me to just sit around for the rest of my life, twiddling my thumbs and waiting for him to be brave enough to say something. Fuck that.

"Honey..." she winced a little.

"Mom don't start, please. If he's being a douche bag that's his problem, not mine." I set my hot chocolate down, all the whipped cream having been eaten, now I was waiting for it to cool down to be drinkable.

I curled up against Blade's side, arm draped over his stomach with my head against the curve of his shoulders, legs folded up under me. I closed my eyes tiredly, wanting just to crawl upstairs into bed with Mazey, who decided then to jump into my lap.

"You're looking a little pale Kiana, maybe you should eat something," Peter said, concern in his voice.

"I'm fine, I'm just tired. Honest," I yawned, proving my point.

"Tired or not you haven't eaten since breakfast. You're eating now," Blade said firmly.

"I'll go get something," Mom piped up and I heard her jump up and head to the kitchen.

"Guys!" I groaned. "Don't fuss. I'm fine." I opened my eyes, staring at them all, "See?"

"Even I have to admit you look sick," Chelsea said, frowning at me. "Is it the flu or something?"

"Lack of eating," Blade replied, looking down at me, guilt written all over his face. I leaned against him again, hating to see that look. It was more my fault that I haven't been eating than his. It's not like he took it away from me, I just didn't go down to eat.

Mom came back with a plate of toast that even I had to admit smelt delicious, and made my stomach growl as well. I sighed and sat up, taking my time to eat it while drinking hot chocolate slowly so I wouldn't get sick. Blade watched me carefully, as did everyone else, in between decorating. It was a tad unnerving.

"Would you guys stop staring already?" 

"We're just making sure you eat everything," Mom shrugged, unwrapping the last of the ornaments while Andrew came bolting down the stairs, finally done with his afternoon nap. He sat in front of me, mouth hanging open, tail wagging, and eyes on my plate of toast.

"Sorry Andrew, but you heard her; I've got to eat everything," I grinned, taking the last bite before I stood up and went back to the kitchen. Andrew whined, head bowed and followed me, giving me that puppy dog look the whole way. I put my plate and mug in the sink and got him food as well, which cheered him back up again, before heading to the living room again.

********

The days seemed to blur past until finally, it was Christmas Eve. I woke up to Blade sneaking into my room and crawling into my bed.

"Hey," I smiled sleepily at him, cuddling closer to him to get comfortable.

"Good morning....Merry Christmas."

"It's not Christmas yet. That's tomorrow," I corrected him, kissing him anyways. "But I forgive your mistake."

"How big of you," he said sarcastically, tossing the covers back. I shuddered violently from the cold air, goose bumps rising on my skin.

"Blade!" I cried, reaching for the sheets, suddenly feeling completely wide awake now.

He let out a cackle and crawled on top of me, pushing my shirt up enough so he could see my stomach before he tickled me.

"Blade! I can't...stop...can't...breathe!" I shrieked with laughter, writhing underneath him, bucking and thrashing but he was barely even jostled.

"Can I wish you a Merry Christmas today?" he asked, pausing in tickling.

"Yes! Just stop!" I gasped for air, still laughing hysterically.

"No thanks. I'm enjoying this too much," he smirked, going back to tickling me again.

"No!" I cried, hands flying to try and ward him off. One fist clipped his shoulder hard and I yelped in pain. He froze, mouth dropping open.

"Oh shit," he abruptly pulled his hands away, holding mine in his. "Fuck. Did you not learn the first time not to hit me?" He burst out laughing.

"This isn't funny." I pulled my hand out of his, shaking it out as if it would make the pain go away. I pouted at him, "You should be a lot more concerned."

He quickly composed his face to a look of concern as he took my hand back, examining it and poking it. I saw his lips twitch in amusement, before he pressed them into a tight line to keep from laughing.

"Go ahead. Laugh. Laugh at my pain," I said dramatically, "Just know you hurt me so much with your lack of concern for me."

"Want me to kiss it better?" his lips curved up into that familiar smirk of his that made me feel warm all over. He kissed my knuckles, which were red and stung a lot, before he turned my hand over, kissing my palm before easing up my forearm and tattoo. He nipped at the veins on my wrist playfully and I let out a chuckle, relaxing into my pillows.

"Have you hunted?" I asked, keeping my hand relaxed, it hurt too much to keep flexed into a fist.

"Once," he shrugged, "But that's not exactly a conversation I want to—" he sat up properly suddenly, looking back at my knuckles. One was starting to bleed, the skin split open. He looked up at me. "Got any band-aids?"

"On me? Do you really think I have pockets?" I gestured at my sweats and baggy tee-shirt, propping myself up on one elbow.

"In the bathroom?"

"I think so. If we have any it'll be under the sink," I replied, staring at my bleeding knuckle as he got up and went to go find band-aids, leaving the door open. As he was coming back I heard my mom stop him.

"What exactly is going on in there?" she asked him, sounding amused.

"Um...I was tickling her...and then she hit the bed post...and she kind of cut herself," he explained sheepishly.

"Good Lord, if that's how you guys are on a daily basis no wonder she loves living with you," she chuckled, "But please don't impair my daughter by tickling her. I'll have you know she can be quite vicious. She once punched Kyle right in the face when he tickled her, he had a black eye for two weeks."

"I'll remember that," he laughed, coming back into my room before he closed the door. He hopped onto my bed, shaking his head at me. He took my hand and swiftly licked all the blood that had leaked onto the rest of my hand before applying the band-aid. "Good as new."

"Hardly," I sniffed.

"Hey that's not my fault," he shook his head, lying down across my bed with his head in my lap. "So don't even get mad at me."

"It is your fault. Don't tickle me," I whined, falling back into my pillows.

"I'm far too lazy to start a debate, so let's just blame me for now," he mumbled.

"What happened to that burst of energy of yours?" I asked, playing with his hair.

"It sort of died. May it rest in peace. Now shut up and let me sleep, you're really comfortable," he rested his head comfortably on my abdomen, using me as his human pillow.

My stomach growled, wrecking the silence. "Um..."

He groaned. "Okay let's get breakfast. But we're napping after."

"Who says I want a nap?" I protested as he sat up, ruffling his hair as he let out a lion like yawn.

"I do. Trust me, I can certainly tire you out enough for a long nap," he smiled lazily, brushing a hand along my thigh. I blushed furiously, sliding off my bed.

"We should go eat," I mumbled, cheeks still flaming. I mean jeez, just him saying that made me think of my birthday...and drunkenness aside the boy was good. Better than good. He was possibly the most amazing thing ever. Not that I had anything to compare it to but still.

He laughed as he followed me downstairs to where mom and Peter were in the kitchen. Mom looked at me and then at my hand, relief on her face.

"Yes Mom. Blade tickled me, I cut my hand. Relax," I rolled my eyes at her, sitting down.

"Hey with teenagers you never know," she shrugged.

"Mom," I hissed while Blade sat down next to me, a hand on my back. He shook his head at me; he knew it was a losing battle. I let out an exasperated sigh.

"What do you folks want for breakfast?" Peter asked, easily cutting off what ever my mom was going to say. I shot him a thankful look and he simply chuckled. He was definitely the perfect guy for my mom.

********

"Kiana," Mom said quietly as we pulled up outside the cemetery. It was a beautiful day. The skies were blue, only a few puffy white clouds that let big, fat, white flakes of snow flutter down softly on us. The sun was out, but it was already on its way down to set. The snow of the cemetery glistened, and it looked like such a beautiful place to be, not one of complete loss and sadness.

"Yeah?" I asked, clutching my thermos of hot chocolate in my gloved hands.

"I haven't been here since the last time we came," she confided quietly. "It didn't feel right without you."

I was suddenly saddened by that fact. Mom might have Peter, and Mazey and Andrew, but she still missed Dad terribly. Neither of us had much family left, but at least back at school I had lots of people I saw every day. Mom didn't have too many people left.

I nodded slowly, my lips pressed together as we parked and got out. We headed up to the snow and ice covered gates, not saying a word to each other. We walked through the cemetery, nodding our acknowledgement to the number of people there to pay their respects to their loved ones. We knew most of these people, having come on so many occasions we recognized all of these people. Maybe not by name but we knew each other enough.

We continued on through the cold cemetery until we got to Dad's grave. Mom spread a blanket over the snow for us to sit on, one of us on either side of the headstone.

"Hey Dad," I brushed the snow off the top of the stone with a small smile. "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas," Mom echoed, sitting cross legged, holding her thermos in her hands, eyes focused solely on it. My mom lived for these visits while she also wished she never had to come here; if she didn't have to come it'd mean that maybe my Dad would still be alive.

"A lot happened Dad, and sometimes I really wish you were still here, just for a minute, just so you could tell me everything was going to be alright," I said quietly. Words came freely to me when I was here, and if I wasn't careful I'd let slip something I shouldn't in front of my mom. But I really didn't care. "Sometimes I really miss you Dad, and I just can't believe that when I wake up I won't be in my room, with you downstairs making breakfast, in your goofy apron and all."

Mom let out a chuckle, wiping her eyes. "Kiss the cook," she shook her head at the memory. "Bought especially for the simple excuse so he could kiss me more."

"And then that friend of yours would see him in the apron, and try to kiss him," I laughed. I remembered Taylor quite vividly, a 'friend' of my mom's, who often tried to hook up with my dad but it never worked. But it was certainly funny to see her try. "What ever happened to Taylor?"

"Last I heard she was working at a strip club, which I do believe was the perfect career choice for her," Mom shrugged. "Speaking of friends, what are you going to do about Kyle?"

My stomach suddenly felt like a pit and it made me sick. "I don't know."

She sipped her hot chocolate for a moment, "You know Kiana...Kyle has liked you for a long time. I've seen the way he always looked at you, and the way you looked at him. I honestly thought you two were going to be together until you went away to school." She shook her head and sighed. "Kyle was so upset after you left...it's why he kissed you when he saw you. You guys have been friends since kindergarten. Don't let that all go to waste."

"But Mom what am I supposed to do?" I asked, completely at a loss.

She stood up, shivering a bit before she smiled. "Ask your Dad, he's much better at giving advice then I am."

"Where are you going?" I asked, starting to get up but she waved me back down.

"Kiana you're older now, and a lot of things have been going on that I'm sure I don't know about and you will never tell me. You don't have the chance to see your Dad whenever you want, so go ahead and talk to him. I think you need it more than I do. I'll be waiting in the car when you're done...take your time," she said gently before she walked away.

I stared after her for a moment before I sat back down more comfortably. "Um...Dad...I think this is one of those moments when I need you to tell me everything's going to be alright."

But I received no response. And why would I?

"Daddy I really need you. You'd know what to do with all this. With Kyle and even with Blade and those vampires," I whispered, pulling my knees up to my chest. "I mean, I didn't even do anything wrong with Kyle. He kissed me after assuming I'd be free after all these months, and he got mad at me when he's the one who didn't take the opportunity to ask me out when he had the chance. So what exactly am I supposed to do about Kyle?"

I knew I had to talk to him. That was really the only solution. But what was I going to say?

"And what about those stupid vampires? I mean I haven't done a thing wrong to them either! And I swear to God if they even lay a hand on Blade..." my fingers curled tightly around my thermos. "But what do I do about them? I mean, I can't really do much. Last time I had, Jill and we were both lucky to escape. There is just no way I could take on one vamp, much less a bunch. I'm not fast enough and they'd tear me to shreds. And Aros...I don't think Aros would help anymore. I trust Blade on that, but now what? We wait for them to come again? We don't even know where to start looking for them."

I put my thermos down, head in my hands instead. "Dad so much has happened and I'm so confused," I whispered. "If there was ever a time when I needed you, it was now. Because it's not just those two things. It's Blade too. After my birthday...I love him. I trust him with my life. I just can't trust him with my heart. And I'm so afraid to give him all of me, even though I've already given it away, it'd be for real this time. And I'm so scared Dad. What if he changes his mind? I can't just leave him whenever I want if it doesn't work out."

The wind was my only answer, blowing through my hair. I bowed my head.

"I used to think sometimes, how different everything would be if you hadn't died. If you'd have let me go to that stupid club, if I still would have met Blade. Sometimes I kind of wish none of this ever happened," I confessed, feeling horrible but it was the truth. "But sometimes I'm glad it did. I really am happy with how most things are, but I know I can't have the good without the bad so I guess I'll take what I can get." I touched the beautiful carved letters reading Benjamin Lace, smiling a little. "You know, I do wonder if you were here...what would you say if you knew about vampires and Blade and I. For some reason I get the feeling you'd approve of Blade. But then again you usually were happy as long as I was happy. Or maybe you'd be upset with him for corrupting my innocence."

I laughed a little. "Even though you aren't even here, you still make me feel better." I thought of the chain around my neck, suddenly feeling warm. "Blade gave me a necklace for your locket. He said the chain won't break, so that way I won't lose your locket," I unzipped my jacket just enough to pull it out to look at it. The silver heart was warm in my hand and shone in the sunlight. "Now I get to wear something that reminds me of both of you with me all the time."

"I think Mom finally...came terms with all of this. She's still a bit lonely sometimes, but she has Peter now. I think you'd like Peter, even if he is dating your wife," I rolled my eyes a bit. "But then again, you might just be happy as long as she's happy too. He treats her right and he can cook almost as good as you could...but he'll never replace you. No one can ever replace you," my eyes burned as I smiled. "But he feels like a part of the family already. He doesn't treat me like his kid or anything. He treats me like a friend and a grown up. He's not trying to impose either. He knows no one can take your place. He understands too since he lost his mom when he was a kid." I picked up my thermos carefully, sniffling as I wiped under my eyes with my free hand. "He's spending Christmas with us this year. And so is Blade. Christmas has really changed since you were here. But it hasn't changed for the worst. We still have people we love that are with us, even you. You're still here, in a way."

I took a deep, shuddering breath. "I should probably go now. I love you Daddy," I whispered, sitting in front of the headstone. I bowed my head and kissed the frozen stone before I stood, folded up the blanket and left. When I got in the car my mom didn't ask me about anything that I said. She only looked at me, smiled and then we left.

Maybe Mom was right. I shouldn't just let my whole friendship with Kyle die because of this one stupid problem. I might not have anything to say, but I'm sure I could think of something. And maybe with the vampires, I'll do just as I said and wait. But I won't let my fears keep me from being happy with Blade. I lost my Dad already, and now I had the possibility of losing Blade too. I wasn't going to waste time being afraid. How could I ever trust him if I never gave him the chance to prove how much trustworthy he could be?

Even though my dad wasn't around anymore, it seems like he still managed to help me out when I needed it.

Blade POV

"The girls should be back soon," Peter said conversationally. While Kiana and her mom went to the cemetery we've been at home, cleaning dishes and the whole house. Yesterday we spent most of the day cooking and watching Christmas movies and shows, just the four of us, before we sat down for dinner. It wasn't a big party, or some big celebration, but I found it was one of the best Christmas Eves I'd had in a while. I haven't spent Christmas with my family in well...decades. A century or so if I was being honest. I never really celebrated but I'm glad I did this year.

"I hope you and Kiana are going to act responsibly while we're out tonight," he added, still casual as he continued with the dishes.

"Trust me, we'll be fine alone tonight," I assured him. Thinking about the last time...well it didn't exactly make me super fucking excited to try again soon. Either way, I was waiting for her to be ready. I knew she didn't trust me and frankly, I totally deserved it. And I doubt she'd be ready for something like that, this soon after we finally made it official. That was just crazy.

He handed me a plate to dry while giving me a warning look, "You seem like a nice guy and all, and Kiana is clearly head over heels for you..."

"But if I screw her over I'm going to regret it?" I finished, putting the now dry plate down. I shook my head. "Don't worry about it, I can't do that to her. I don't want to hurt her. She's the best thing in my life. I haven't had something as good as her in my life in a long time...I'm holding onto her for all I'm worth."

"Good, but I just wanted to make sure you knew. You guys are living together and all. Kiana would be heartbroken if something happened. But you guys seem really close...how long have you been dating?" he asked, smiling warmly again.

"Well..." I balked. We never really covered this. "About two weeks."

Peter nearly dropped the plate he was washing. "Two weeks?" he sputtered.

"Officially. We dated before that though," I added hurriedly, "So if you add it all up it's been about two months." Okay so I was kind of bullshitting, but come on. When you're bonded to your girlfriend, and been through everything we've been through up until now, time seems to fly and you feel like you've known them forever and not just a few months.

"Oh," he said in relief, rinsing the plate off. "You scared me for a second. Why'd you guys date before, why not just make it official from the start?"

I shrugged, "We both just wanted to see if it would work or not. We kind of got on each other's nerves sometimes."

"Everyone gets on everyone's nerves," he pointed out.

"Yeah, but we used to fight a lot, usually over stupid things. But I guess that was a part of the appeal. My ex and I...well we never really talked; so there was no arguing since we never talked enough to start an argument. With Kiana we actually do speak to each other and stuff. At least when you argue it means you care."

He nodded his agreement as I heard the front door open. It was quiet, no speaking, but I knew it was Kiana and her mom. They came into the kitchen a moment later, both of them looking cold.

"Hey," I greeted Kiana, seeing her slightly red eyes, and the pink covering her nose and cheeks from the cold.

"Hey," she said quietly, smiling a little as she came up behind me, standing on tip toe to kiss my cheek and wrap her arms around me. "So what have you guys been up to?" she asked, leaning her cheek against my back.

"Cleaning," we said in union.

"I love having man slaves," Sandra cracked, ruffling her short blonde hair. "You guys right now just proved every sexist man's theories wrong. Look who's in the kitchen now."

"Very funny," Peter rolled his eyes. "Shouldn't you be getting ready now so we can be on time for the party?"

"Ouch," she rubbed the spot over her heart, "I don't need that much time to get ready."

"That's what you say every time," he shook his head, "Which is why we're never on time."

"We are fashionably late," she corrected, stepping up beside Kiana and I. "You two can go if you want, I'll do the dishes."

"It's no problem," I replied, piling up the plates I'd already dried on the counter.

"Yes it is. You're the guest and guests shouldn't do anything. Kiana take him out of the kitchen," she shooed us away, playfully whipping the dish towel at us.

"Come on, you heard the woman," Kiana said, taking my hand as she dragged me out of the kitchen.

"Oh fine," I grumbled, following her upstairs. She pulled me into her room and fell onto her bed while I sat down next to her. "How are you holding up?" I brushed the hair from her face as her eyes fell shut and her chest fell as she let out a sigh.

"Not so great," she admitted. I sat up by the headboard and she put her head in my lap while I stroked her hair. "I mean...it's been a few years, and it's not as hard as it used to be. But still..." she gripped the locket in her hand tightly. "I really wish he was here, just a minute would be more than enough."

"But he is here. Maybe not physically but he's still here," I brushed my fingers over her temple, "You know...when a witch loses someone close to her she doesn't mourn."

"Witch?" she echoed, opening her eyes to look at me curiously.

"What? You thought only vampires were real?" I teased, "There's a lot more to people than you think."

"What else is out there?" she asked incredulously, sitting up with a hand on either side of me. Her face was right in front of mine, her eyes bright and curious, and begging for a distraction.

"Lots of things. Witches, demons, necromancers, werewolves," I shrugged, waving my hand. "There are a lot of things. But we're straying from the point." I tapped her nose.

"What was the point?" she asked.

"Witches. When someone they know passes, they don't mourn, they don't hold a funeral, they don't get all dressed up in black. Sure they get sad, maybe some of the younger ones will cry. But when someone they love dies, they have a big celebration."

"Why?" she asked, shocked.

"Because they don't believe in focusing on their death, they believe in celebrating all the good things, the person's life, and even their own. It reminds them to be glad for the life they have, to take advantage of every minute of every day, because you never know when the last time you close your eyes will be. They want to show everyone that life shouldn't be taken for granted, but treasured," I explained softly, brushing her hair behind her ear. "They know that their goddess will take care of that person's soul, and that they're someplace that truly is better. They know that their loved one is waiting for them, so they don't see the need to be too sad."

"Maybe they got it right," she murmured, still clutching the heart. She leaned forward, resting her forehead against mine. "It's just hard sometimes."

"No one is immune to loss. You were brought up a certain way. Witches another. But that doesn't mean they don't get sad too," I smoothed her cheek with my thumb, "Sometimes bad things happen, but you can't linger on it. Your dad wouldn't want you to be torn up about it. He'd want you to live your life to the fullest and do all the things that make you happy."

She pulled away with a small smile. "Someone sounds wise."

"What can I say? I've got the brains and the brawn."

"Wow, how did you ever get your big head through the door?" she teased, tossing her leg over me so she was sitting on my lap.

"Because I had low self-esteem before. But I do believe my ego is coming back." I ran my hands down her back, "So maybe my head won't fit through that door of yours and we'll be trapped here forever."

"Hey I'm not protesting, I'll gladly spend forever in here with you. Of course, I am going to need food..." her mouth curved up into a smirk.

"You know, I'm having a hard time deciding which Kiana I like better. The one who used to be cruel and trick me by teasing me, or the one who's not tricking me and just teasing," I said thoughtfully.

"Pick option two; you'll have more of a shot at getting something." She pressed her lips to my jaw, hands resting on my chest, fingers splayed out. I let her take her time, even though I wanted nothing more than to press my lips to hers. She kissed the corner of my mouth, resting there for such an agonizingly long moment that I had to groan.

She laughed softly, "Impatient?"

"No, I am simply longing for something that I'm craving but won't get," I sniffed, shifting under her uncomfortably.

Suddenly she kissed me, her lips slightly cold from outside, but just as amazing as always as she melted into me. "Who said you wouldn't get it?" she mumbled against my lips.

"Me. Pardon my mistake," I slid my hands under her shirt, pulling her back to me. She sat up properly, her stomach and chest pressed tight against mine while her fingers curled tightly around the fabric of my shirt covering my shoulders.

"You're forgiven," she breathed in between kisses, grinding her hips deep into mine. My nails dug into her skin tightly as I struggled not to roll over and do everything I wanted to do with her.

"Kiana! I need your help!" Sandra sang loudly.

We pulled a part, breathing heavy.

"What?" Kiana called back, putting a finger to her lips, eyes wide at me.

"I need your help to pick a dress for the party tonight!" she yelled back, now standing outside the door. She paused for a moment. "Unless you're busy..." she laughed.

"Mom!" Kiana shouted, cheeks blazing red and even I had to laugh.

"She's not busy at all," I called back while Kiana hit her head against my chest repeatedly, muttering under her breath.

"Good, now give her up to me for a few minutes. I promise to give her back soon."

"Go on, your mom is calling you," I laughed as she shot me a withering look. She started to crawl off me but I pulled her back, kissing her gently. "Okay now you can go."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 155 5
Tvd x to x tw In which the Scooby gang, the Mikaelson's and the pack watch the life of Charlotte Stilinski. The biological daughter of Derek Hale and...
8.7M 350K 47
Highest rank - #1 in Vampire ** In a world far beyond human imagination, into the deep roots of the vampire realm he ruled. For over a century, he's...
38.7K 1.3K 26
Emma a simple girl who was a cancer patient died but when she woke up she was in body of her favourite tvdu character katherine Emma determined to ta...
8.6K 432 34
"Don't ever think that we're friends." Avyugh gritted. "Aw, I thought we were past that," Alarion grinned, taking up Avyugh's space. "I will make yo...