Secrets of a Southern Belle

By _haileyyk

Everyone has secrets that they keep. The town of Darling is full of them, and the townspeople will do anythin... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 9

1.8K 85 14
By _haileyyk

After what felt like forever, I finally heard the bass from a song bouncing off of the trees in the forest. The trees gave us much needed shade from the sun rays that have beat down on us the last forty minutes.  I guess it is my fault since I insisted that we walked.

As we got closer, my anxiety grew. I knew I would have to face what I said last night to Wes, and I didn't want to ruin anything or expose my secret.

More people came into sight when we reached the small body of water in the forest. Some people were already drinking while others were swimming. Loud, country music echoed around us, and people were swaying to the beat.

I looked over at the swinging rope to see Wesley grabbing onto it and swinging himself into the creek, making a huge splash. When he emerged from the water, droplets that fell from his wet hair clung to his hard abs. He didn't even make it out of the water before Blake attacked him by jumping onto him and wrapping her legs around his waist. Her lips were on his before he could even take in a breath of air.

Blake likes to show everyone what she has, and Wes is basically a trophy to her.  I, of course, couldn't help but wish that it was me clinging to his wet frame.

"Are you okay?" Savannah asked and looked over what I was looking at.

I tore my eyes away from Wes and Blake."  "Yeah, I'm fine."

Was I really?

I don't think Wes would ever have feelings for me after what I said last night.

Savannah gave me a smile and then looked over at Molly, who was practically drooling from spotting Austin. It's crazy how her demeanor changed in just two days.

"Ooh, why don't you go say something?" Savannah suggested in a teasing tone.  She lightly shoved Molly with her hip, causing her to stumble a little before she gave Savannah an annoyed look.

"No, because he probably doesn't like me like that."

I laughed while Savannah sniggered at her comment. Molly is clearly blind if she doesn't see that Austin likes her. He lights up when he sees her, and he gave her his jacket when it wasn't even cold.

"Oh, please," I practically snorted. "You must have been dropped on your head if you think he doesn't like you."

Molly's glare shifted from Savannah to me, and I just beamed at her. Molly then stomped away like she was throwing a tantrum.

"Where are you going?" We yelled at her.

She spun around, making her curly, brown locks whip around her face.  "I'm gonna prove I wasn't dropped on my head."  Determination was apparent in her brown eyes.

"Oh, Molly!" Savannah sighed as I called back at her, "I was only kidding!"

We watched as Molly, once confident, walk shyly up behind Austin and tap on his shoulder. He turned around and immediately smiled at the sight of her. I gave Savannah a pointed look, and she laughed in return. We decided it was best to leave those two alone and made our way to the water.

At the shoreline, I stripped down to my yellow bikini and pulled Savannah into the water with me. It was freezing at first, but was a relief against the hot sun.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do on the weekends once winter comes. The creek is my favorite place. I live for the parties here every weekend.

Everything seems to go good for a couple hours. Savannah and I hung out in the water, and Molly and Austin eventually joined us. I knew Austin was smitten with her and now, he can't take his eyes off of her, even when we decided to play Chicken.

I was sitting on top of Savannah's shoulders while Molly was on top of Austin's, and Molly was winning. It doesn't look like it, but Molly is super strong and within seconds, she pushes me so I fly underwater. When I emerge from the water, Wes is on the shoreline and waving at me.

"Hey, Rae. Can we talk for a minute?"

Wes looked really uncomfortable, and it was clear that the talk was about last night. My pulse quickened.

I looked at my friends, who just shrugged at me. No words of confidence or anything. I started to get nervous, and my stomach was doing flips. I knew this would happen.

Thanks, guys.

Reluctantly, I made my way out of the water and grabbed the towel that Wes handed me like a gentleman. It's hard not to like the guy when he does simple gestures like that. I gave him a small smile, and we walked underneath a nearby tree, where he motioned for me to sit down. He immediately followed and sat next to me.

"So...  I wanted to talk about last night."

I audibly sighed.  "Look, Wes...  I am so sorry.  I..."

Wes put his hand up.  "No, it's okay, Rae. I know you were just upset because of your fight with your brother, and you took it out on me."

Why is he so perfect?

Relief washed over me, making my anxiety disappear. I was so worried that I ruined my friendship with him, even though I secretly want more than that. His blue eyes twinkled as he looked at me and gave me an understanding smile.

"So, you're not mad that I said that stuff about Blake?"

Wes let out a small chuckle.  "No, I know you didn't mean it. You don't have a mean bone in your body."

Wes put his hand on my shoulder. I immediately felt horrible. I did mean it. He was oblivious to everything—to his fake girlfriend and to my feelings. I couldn't tell him I did mean what I said.

One day he will find out the truth about his girlfriend, and it is going to break his heart.

I gave him a small nod because I couldn't bring myself to lie to him.  "You're a great guy, Wes."

"Thank you, Rae, but I'm far from perfect," Wes said, humbly and turned away.

I gave him a serious look.  "Wesley John Bedford, you should give yourself more credit. I think you're pretty awesome, so accept my compliment so we can go grab some food."  I lightly shoved his shoulder and stood up. I held my hand out to help him up, and he laughed and shook his head at me before accepting my offer.

Wesley's frame towered over mine, and he smiled down at me with his white smile. "You are something else, Rae. You know that?"

His smile should make me have butterflies, but I somehow feel sad at his comment. For the first time, I question myself.

Am I not good enough for him to like me?

I shake off the feeling so he wouldn't notice and give him a fake smile back. I replied in a sassy tone before I pulled on his wrist to follow me, "Oh, I do. I'm just surprised it took you so long to notice."

I could have swore I heard him mumble, "I've always noticed," behind me, but I'm sure it's what my mind wishes he would say. A girl could only dream.

We made our way to the others, where Austin was standing extremely close to Molly and Savannah was talking to my brother. Blake stood by Shelby, probably gossiping about someone, and when she heard us approach, she gave Wes a dramatic hug and glared at me. I've managed to make her angry a lot the past two days.  She didn't take her eyes off of me the entire time I moved to stand by my friends.

I glanced at my brother, who barely looked at me. When I saw him steal a glance, I saw the look of disappointment my dad would give us when we did something wrong. I have a feeling that we wouldn't be making up tonight. He was really that angry with me.

Despite Sawyer and I not being on good terms, the rest of the day actually went really well. I mostly hung out with Savannah because Molly and Austin were constantly talking to each other. But, I was able to talk to Wesley a few times when Blake wasn't around, which was nice. We mostly ate burgers that our classmates barbecued, talked, and swam in the creek.

For awhile, I forgot about about the town's outcasts. I forgot about my fight with Sawyer and even forgot about Blake for a little bit. It felt too good to be true, and of course it was. My good time was breathing life into my nightmare, and I had no idea.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

217 34 30
They say the moon keeps people's secrets, but for Tessa it reveals them all. Tessa was never supposed to be the pack's next alpha, but fate had othe...
22.3K 2.1K 35
Seventeen year old Kayla Simmons has always been normal, completely ordinary. So when the new guy in town comes and completely changes everything she...
38.8K 6K 31
Bad boy supreme Caleb Dawson crashes into Amy Irvine's world as a spectre that no one can see, hear, or touch, unleashing a chain of events beyond he...
545K 26.3K 69
*FREE STORY: ONLY BONUS CONTENT IS PAID! COMPLETED! The only new content is bonus content* Noelle Hart's life has taken an unexpected shift that will...