Shadows and Lights

By ReturnTriumphant

Alex Heights got more than she bargained for when she agreed to study abroad at Teiko. Time finds her attendi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 42

Chapter 41

86 6 1
By ReturnTriumphant

Kaijou's campus is beautiful. It's not as new as Seirin. It's still just as pretty, with a huge number of students flooding its hall and some rather fancy looking uniforms. "Haicchi, you came!" Ryouta's voice echoes across the gym. "Haaaaaicchiiiii-ssu!"

My feet suddenly leave the floor as the blond engulfs me in a hug, pulling me off my feet in his enthusiasm. "R-Ryouta!" My voice cracks from surprise. "Let me go!" He doesn't drop me for another couple minutes despite my protests. "What, did you think I'd go back on my word?"

The blond boy only laughs nervously, scratching the back of his head, before a kick out of nowhere sends him crashing into me. We both tumble to the ground in a tangle of awkward limbs. "Kasamatsu-senpai! That was mean!"

"R-Ryou, get off! You're h-heavy!" It takes energy to get out from under Ryouta's weight, especially with the grinding foot of what I can only assume is the team captain. "Kasamatsu, huh? Pleased to meet you."

"Haicchi, help me-ssu!" I raise an eyebrow as he grabs my ankle.

"You should not be grabbing that one." I say flatly. "Besides, you just fell on top of me. I don't really feel like it~!"

"Nice to meet you. Kasamatsu Yukio. I'm the team captain. Has Kise always been this impossible?" Kasamatsu has very, very blue eyes. It's a little shocking, to be honest. I offer him a smile. His hands are shaking slightly, although I'm not sure why.

"I'm Alex Heights. Please call me Hai." I glance down at the blond as he brushes himself off. "Yeah, he's kinda always been like this. Isn't that right, Kise-san?"

"That's just cruel, Haicchi!" Ryou whines. I snicker. Maybe I have a sadistic streak. I pat his head.

"There, there, Mr. Kise." I say with mock sympathy. "It's okay to cry. Maybe it isn't, actually. Don't cry, Mr. Kise!"

"Crue-" Kasamatsu's foot sends him flying once more. "Kasamatsu-senpai! You're enabling her-ssu! Haicchi help me out!"

"Fine, fine, since you asked so nicely." I say cheerily. A grin coats my face as I offer him a hand. "Upsie daisy." The blond bounces to his feet. "Anyway, I'm just here to watch. See you, Ryou. It was great meeting you, Kasamatsu."

"Before you go, I have questions for you." I can't help the surprise that coats my face. I can't even refuse.

"Of course." My surprise shows. Ryouta tries to intervene, objecting immediately, but I wave him off. "No, Ryouta, it's fine. I don't have any issue answering questions for Kasamatsu." The blue-eyed captain seems to be hiding a grin.

"Do you call everyone by their first name?" Ah, is that jealousy I hear? I shrug.

"I call the people I respect most by their first names. Mostly my former teammates." The green-eyed monster seems to die down. "Although I'm half surprised it hasn't gotten my killed. It's a leftover thing from my..." I can't really call it home. "I guess birthplace is the right word."

"You played with Kise?" Kasamatsu's voice is surprised, his eyes wide and seemingly startled. Slowly, I nod.

"Yeah, at Teiko. I came after he did." I can't place the emotion on the older boy's face, but I'm not entirely sure I like it.

"Where do you play for?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Touou Academy. We'll be playing you at Winter Cup, I'm sure." His doubt in my abilities as caused me to bare my fangs. "It'll be fun to watch."

"Haicchi!" Ryouta's too quick for his own good sometimes. "We won't lose to you! Your or Momoicchi or Aominecchi!" A grin splits my face as I examine the blond.

"I'm done growing. It would be expected for me to lose to you, to lose this team, due to my height and my gender. But I have Daiki's Zone, Tetsu's Misdirection, Satsuki's mind, and Sei's eyes. I won't lose to you even if it kills me." The air between us is thick with tension. "But I'm not here to challenge you. None of us need that."

Ryou's standing over me, practically growling. "Make sure you watch carefully, Haicchi. I'll show you something you haven't seen before." The blond's eyes have darkened, and my grin has widened.

"I got it, I got it." I say, waving slightly. "Unless your Kasamatsu has any more questions?" The blue-eyed boy laughs.

"What I got can wait 'til after the game." He says lowly.

"Good luck, then." I say, smiling. "I hope you have a good game."

I'll say this now and hope it sticks, but I never meant to challenge Kaijou, or Ryou, or Kasamatsu. I'm watching them play with an incredible amount of intensity. They win the game, that's a given, but it's brutal. I haven't seen this sort of viciousness since Teiko. I can hardly stand to watch the losing team. My chest feels like its constricting.

The game is over quickly, like expected. It takes me a minute to take in the score and close my notebook, tucking it into my backpack. Then I'm walking from the viewing balcony, bouncing down the stairs, and waiting in the doorway as things are wrapped up. "Haicchi, come over here-ssu." Dodging a stream of what I can only assume is Ryouta's fan girls, another group then swallows me.

It takes a lot of effort and both Ryou and Kasamatsu to pull me out of the throng of people. My heart is racing, my eyes are wide and surprised and probably a little red. "Haicchi?"

"I thought.... There was... He wasn't here, right?" My chest is heaving as I glance over the crowd again. I'm looking over all the faces, double and triple checking for the one I thought was here. "My imagination. Sorry. I'm bad with crowds." I grin apologetically. "Anyway, good game! That was fun to watch!"

Then, more seriously, I look at the uncertain duo before me. "I should apologize for how I spoke earlier. It was rude and cocky of me, especially when I'm talking to my former teammate and his teammates." My voice is quiet, as always, but carries the weight of my words appropriately. "I don't have the self control to take doubt in how I play well. I hate losing, especially to any of the former Miracles."

I roll my shoulders a couple times, cracking the joint a little painfully. Ryouta raises an eyebrow. "You didn't happen to hit your head again, did you-ssu?" I shake my head.

"Nah, sorry. Then my behavior would be more excusable. Anyway, you had questions, Kasamatsu?" I offer him a slight smile. "I'll answer all of them."

"You can enter the Zone?" Is he trying to gauge my abilities? I nod.

"I can enter the Zone." I confirm.

"How high can you jump?" I blink.

"Mm, not quite as high as Tai- Kagami, but high enough. I don't do too much jumping." He raises an eyebrow. "What, do you want me to jump for you? I'm not against it, but it's going to be a waste of your time. I can jump higher during games than I can here."

The blue-eyed boy rises an eyebrow. "I'm just lazy. I won't do it if I don't have to." A sigh escapes Ryou's mouth.

"Touou's gotten good this year. Better than last year, right?" I shrug.

"I don’t know. I guess. I'm not really interested in Touou's history." I guess Kasamatsu doesn't like that answer much. "You should ask Imayoshi. Although he's a bit sadistic, he's most knowledgeable."

"I just have a few more." We're outside now, braving the afternoon air. "Why are you here? In Japan?"

"Senpai-" Ryouta's trying to tell him off, but there's no point.

"That's really none of your business." My voice drops a few degrees, fueled by anger. "And it doesn't really matter anyway." The boy bites back a retort of some kind. "I'll give you one more question, but then I need to go. Hopefully you'll make it an interesting one."

"That's fine." Kasamatsu looks thoughtful for a few moments. Quietly, we continue walking. "Why are you playing basketball? Particularly boys' basketball?" I laugh slightly.

"That one's not interesting at all, Kasamatsu! You kind of wasted your question." I grin. "I'll answer it anyway. It's simple, really. Seijuurou asked me to play, so I am. That's the long and the short of it."

"Eh?" The disbelief written across his face makes me laugh.

"I didn't want to play. I play softball. Adding basketball would've only hindered me. Sei asked me to play. He worked everything out. I even got back at my coach. It got fun when I got better." I hope this clarifies things a little.

"But if you don't play for Teiko anymore, why are you still playing?" Ryouta laughs. I snicker.

"It got fun. I got good. I got scholarships. I didn't see a reason to quit." I offer the blue-eyed boy a grin. "Isn't that why anyone plays? Because it's fun?" He laughs, we part ways.

I'm exhausted. My legs are kind of wobbly and my softball uniform is streaked with dirt and maybe a little blood. "Sorry I'm late." I say as I enter the basketball gym. "I'll get changed."

"Hai-chan, what happened to you?" Satsuki's notice echoes across the gym as practice comes to a grinding halt.

"Ha? I had a game. It ran later than expected." My ankle is screaming in agony.

"No, look at you!" Her hands are cupping my face. "Stop playing softball!" A laugh tumbles out of my mouth before I pull away, stumbling my way into the locker room.

I have to pry my uniform off, wondering when it got so hard to change my clothes. My practice clothes are much fresher, smooth against my skin. "Hai-chan, rest a little bit. It's not a suggestion. I'm telling you." I'm surprised it's Imayoshi to tell me this. Normally, he just let's me do as I please.

"Imayoshi..." Ah, I sound more tired than I should. It's embarrassing, really.

"Sit out. Take a nap." I grit my teeth.

"I can't just do nothing." When did I get so desperate to wear myself down to the bone? I probably don't have enough energy to even make it through the remainder of practice.

"You can make it up tomorrow. Take today to rest." A sigh threatens to pull itself out of me. "I'm telling as your captain, take a break today. Pull an Aomine." I laugh a little at that.

"Yeah. Okay. I get it." I wave Imayoshi off and flop onto the bench. It's a little cold against my skin. "I won't practice today."

"Besides, it's not like we can use you today anyway. We're not doing anything we haven't done before." The comment stings.

"You should watch your mouth, or you'll scare all the girls away." I murmur teasingly. "Go away. I want to nap." Imayoshi doesn't make much of a comment other than to give a sort of scoff and walk out quietly. While it lasts, I enjoy the peace.

Unfortunately, peace doesn't seem to last long wherever I'm involved. I'm sleeping quite happily when the door opens and an incredibly heavy weight sits on me precisely where it shouldn't. A sort of half-shriek escapes my mouth. The weight vanishes, I fall from the bench, and I have no hopes of falling back asleep. My back is in agony.

"Alex?" My hands cover my face as I lay on the ground, trying to find my composure again.

"It hurts..." I murmur, wanting to curl up into a ball. "Why would you sit on me?"

"Look, I'm sorry." Daiki, with all due credit, does sound apologetic. "What happened?"

"I had a game, that's what." Why do I always get injured during games? Do I not respect others enough? Do I taunt them? "I got hit with a bat again and then the pitcher nailed me twice in the same place." My shoulder aches, the middle of my back is about to sport bruises, and my legs feel like jelly.

"There's a girl outside asking for you. Wouldn't leave me alone. Some chick called Sozome?" I groan in response. I'm supposed to catch her tonight for pitching practice, but that shouldn't be for at least another hour and a half. I'm just not up to that right now.

"Crap." I groan, tugged to my feet by the blue-haired wonder. "Why do you do this to me, Sozome?" She's a pitcher, yeah, but she hasn't pitched much in games yet. It's going to stay that way until she finally gets her pitches under control. Fastballs? Great. Curve? Screw? Tolerable. Rise and drop? Kill me now.

"Sozome." I say warmly as I exit the locker room and nearly run her over by accident. "I thought we weren't practicing for a while..." The dark-haired girl blushes slightly.

"Sorry. Would it be possible to practice now? I know you're probably tired, so it's okay if you can't, but my brother got sick and when we practice is when my mom goes off to work and he'll be home alone." I barely manage to keep jealousy from flitting across my face.

"Of course. I hope he isn't too sick. Let me get my gear, and I'll be right out." Imayoshi and Satsuki are on the verge of calling me out and keeping me here, but I escape the gym before they have a chance to tell me otherwise. Who do they think they are, anyway? My parents?

My bag feels heavier than usual as I carry it out to the softball field. Of course, I'm not oblivious to the footsteps behind us, but I'm not in the mood to call anyone out. My gear feels enormous, my cleats heavy, my glove a dead weight. I shouldn't be doing this, but if it's for the team, what choice do I have? I hate this part of me.

Pitching goes smoothly, I think. We aren't going at it too long since Sozome has to get home and my shoulder feels like ripping out of its socket. "Hai-chan, do you mind showing me something?" Sozome's question is a little strange, so I pause as I pack up my gear.

"What is it?" My head tilts slightly.

"You've played third, right?" I nod my head, faintly remembering some sort of impact and a lot of cleats. "I keep trying to get the stuff that drops right at the fence, but I always stop a second away because I'm afraid of running into it." I raise my eyebrows slightly.

"Do you guys do the 'find the fence' stuff?" Sozome shakes her head, eyes slightly narrowed. "So basically, you're right handed, so it'll be easier. You'll use your right hand to find the fence while you concentrate on using your left to get the ball. I'll work on having the others help you out." Taking my glove out again, I go to third. "Throw one next to the fence. I'll show you."

The ball arcs prettily. With my left hand out, elbow bend slightly, I rush the fence. When my hand comes in contact, I keep going, using it as a buffer until I get the ball. "Like that. It looks like it's time for you to go, but I'll work on it with you tomorrow." The pitcher smiles widely.

"Great! Thanks, Hai-chan!" I wave as she goes off, repacking my gear and stuffing it in the shed where the other gear bags are. The groundskeeper will lock it up tonight when he waters the field. My only worry now, as I head back to the gym, is the shaking of my legs. It hurts to walk. I can't get myself to walk fast, not even a little half-jog thing. This sort of physical weakness feels disgusting, like an ooze is filling my bones and dragging me down into the dirt so I never rise again.

"You're pushing yourself too hard." I'm just about ready to jump out of my skin, but the energy to do that isn't quite at hand yet. I glance back, eyes slightly narrowed as I see Susa catch up with me. "You're going to get injured, or burn out in the worst case scenario." I want to laugh at that. Does he not know I'm already aware of the risks I'm taking?

"Yeah. I know. I'll be more careful." My voice is raspy and grinding, wishing to stay in my throat rather than escape through my mouth. "Sorry."

"I'll carry you back." He's surprising, Susa. I never would've expected him of all people to offer carrying me. As much as I want to take him up on his offer, I don't want to admit defeat. I want to show my body it's a case of mind over matter. "You look like you're about to fall over."

We bicker back and forth, but it's clear I'm putting forth no effort and I'm carried back in a matter of minutes. It's embarrassing, to show up this way when all I did was catch a few softballs. What's more embarrassing, though, is falling asleep in those few minutes and waking up to a displeased Daiki and a warm hand on my forehead. "You idiot, Hai-chan! I keep telling you not to do this and you do it anyway!" Satsuki's voice fills the room. I have to sit up to realize I've been carried to a room I don't particularly recognize.

"Where are we?" I wish my sleepiness wasn't so obvious. It coats the room in strange shadows and turns the lights too bright.

"Susa took you to the trainer's room. You've been sleeping for the last fifteen minutes, and I wish you'd sleep longer!" The worry I hear is disheartening. "Maybe you should quit softball." My head snaps up faster than I thought humanly possible.

My face is blank, I think. Stiff as a board. Satsuki's is much more alive. Eyes wide, the pinkette has her hand clamped over her mouth like it'll take back what she just said. I'm being looked down on once more. It's not something I can accept. "H-Hai-chan-" The hand on mine is unwelcome, unwanted. It feels like I'm being burned.

It takes me a moment to remember who I am and what I do. It takes me a minute to understand everything I've heard. Then, looking at the pale pinkette with the most neutral expression my face can muster, I offer her a smile. All she does is turn white as a sheet; hand clamped over her mouth once more as I lock eyes with her. My mouth opens, and the words feel like they aren't mine. "Is that so?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

434K 11.6K 30
The Generation of Miracles was always a force to be reckoned with. No one could beat them at their game, until one little shadow showed up and blew t...
489K 12.2K 25
Generation Of Miracles x Reader Apart from Kuroko, there was another rumor about the Generation of Miracles. The rumor was named the phantom girl...
331K 7.5K 25
*I do not own the anime Kuroko no basuke* Have you ever realized that all of the Generation of miracles represent one of the colors or the rainbow ex...
231K 6.5K 76
**Discontinued** Nakamura Yuyan is nervous about going to school again after being pulled from Teiko and spending her last few years being homeschool...