The Verdant Mark

By dracollavenore

โ‰๏ธ "Did I catch your attention?" โš ๏ธ If I did, can you tell me... who's voice is this? ๐Ÿคญ What is this whisper... More

Authors notes: ๐Ÿ‘ป๐Ÿ““
โœณ๏ธ
โ›“โ›“
๐Ÿฐ
๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿพ
๐Ÿš
??
๐Ÿ“ฟ
๐Ÿ’Ž
๐ŸŽฎ๐ŸŽฎ
๐Ÿจ
๐Ÿ“œ๐Ÿ“œ
๐Ÿ’
๐Ÿ”–๐Ÿ”–
๐ŸŒ€
Part II
๐Ÿ”ฅ
๐Ÿงžโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿงžโ€โ™‚๏ธ
๐ŸŒช
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ
๐Ÿ
โšก๏ธโšก๏ธ
๐Ÿœ
๐Ÿ•ฏ๐Ÿ•ฏ
๐ŸŽผ
โ›ฐโ›ฐ

๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฏ

9 4 5
By dracollavenore

Cool bike for reference ^

—————

Ironic as it may seem, Mikyla was glad she had run from all of her problems thus far because, without the routine practice, she was sure she would have been caught a long time ago. For some reason, her legs tired out a lot faster than usual but she was used to running out of steam, after all, she always had her back up of willpower as well as the boasted adrenaline of a life or death situation.

These were her people though. Why was she running? Truthfully, Mikyla didn't know herself but she knew she couldn't stop now. It wouldn't be easy to explain how she seemingly underwent extensive plastic surgery and if legends were true it wouldn't be easy to reason with ancestral possessed bodies either.

With each skid and slide to outmanoeuvre the mob behind her, Mikyla had the worrying feeling that she was slowing down. She couldn't hide - she stuck out like a sore thumb - and the only high ground she had was that she knew these parts, potholes and forests alike. The problem was, everyone else did too and it would only be a matter of time before she became a part of the ceremonial sacrifice. It was at these times that resentment was the thickest and be she noble or not, Mikyla didn't think it would matter too much to a blade of steel.

Just as Mikyla vaulted over another fence, she was halted with two enemies sandwiching her in.

"-Nathanial-"

The noble boy in front of her raised an eyebrow as if the name being alien to him but he didn't show any signs of hostility. Instead, he wore an expression of anxiety, something which seemed almost impossible. It was then that Mikyla realized that she didn't look like Mikyla anymore and too Nathaniel she must seem like any other noble in a perilous position.

"I know you're a Dreglover and all Mika but you must have been completely out of your freakin' mind to interrupt their ceremony festival watchamajiggy. I also know that I don't come up with the best ideas but I think now wouldn't be the best time to argue and hop on my bike before we become cannibalized or such."

Mikyla felt her eye twitch in annoyance. He had called her by her first name, insulted her and then made fun of her culture. Drows may not have been as socially advanced in the past but they had never cannibalized each other. Nonetheless, Mikyla did look like a Noble now and it was a choice between the lesser of the two evils. As much as she hated it, Mikyla had to choose Nathaniel, this once and this once only.

As more and more Drows vaulted the fence behind her, Mikyla had no time to think of another option and quickly jumped onto the back of Nathaniel's bike. Nathaniel didn't waste any time either and it was a good thing too because just before they sped off, Mikyla felt a hand graze her hair - the hair that was now cropped back short.

A shiver ran down Mikyla's spine as a gust of wind reminded her of how close the encounter was. It didn't help that Nathaniel whooped in victory as the mob slowly tapered into the distance. Nevertheless, Mikyla wasn't brought up as a brute and as much as it pained her to say it, she had too.

"Thank you..."

The words felt like fire as they dribbled from Mikyla's throat, burning each patch of pale skin. She fought the urge to gag, difficult as it was and concentrated on the road ahead. She had no idea where Nathaniel was taking her but hopefully, it was back to school where things might make sense again.

"Umm... What did you say?"

Mikyla blanched. It was bad enough the first time and Mikyla wished she didn't have to repeat herself but her mental restraints were too great. After years of being forced to be polite, it would be harder not to say it than to actually thank the Noble once again.

"I said..." Mikyla takes in a deep breath. "Thanks, Nathaniel."

"Oh, oh yeah, sure." Nathaniel waves it off as if it were nothing and it was only what he said next which prevented mIkyla from whacking him around the head, as well as the thought of touching his disgusting Noble flesh albeit the same as hers at the current moment. "But why do you keep calling me 'Nathaniel', Mika? Did you hurt your head or something?"

Again. Again the Noble called Mikyla by her nickname but his words threw her too much off balance to care.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Well, my name is Sam to start off with, not Nathan-"

Mikyla squeezes her eyes shut. "Wait, what? What's my name then?"

"Huh? You're name's Mikael, always has been as far as I know. You sure you're alright?"

"Mikael? Not Mikyla? Not even Mikaela?"

From the back of the bike, Mikyla saw 'Sam' shrug. "Not unless you've magically been turned into a girl."

"Okay, okay. Who is Lysander then?"

"You mean Lavender?"

"Who the freak is Lavender?" Mikyla could feel her voice raise and it intermittently gave off high squeaks much to her embarrassment.

"Wow! We better get you home soon because you've gone cuckoo or something."

"Just answer the God damned question!"

Sam lets out an exasperated sigh. "Fine. Lavender is the one who always hangs out with Natasha. Those Dregbloods who always seem to be joined at the hip. Natasha is the drama queen and Lavender is the one who gave you that black eye earlier. The one you always seem to fawn over for some reason. Pretty nasty if you ask me but you always happen to be drawn towards that Drow no matter how many times she pushes you away. Good thing too. Dregbloods should stay away from us and know their place. You're a Noble and although you rank higher than me, you should probably start acting like one too just in case people start to think you have a thing for that... that Drow!"

Mikyla rubs the sides of her temples in a circular motion. He had said the despicable word far too many times for her liking but unlike the times he used it before, there wasn't any malice behind it which surprised her. Instead, his words seem to carry what once could almost consider as a caring underlying tone but the context he said it in was way too overwhelming. For starters Mikyla was now called Mikael, Lysander was now Lavender and Nathaniel was now called Natasha. If everything added up then... no... it couldn't be could it? Could Sam be a messed up, twisted, upside down version of Sade?

"Hey, Mika? You got all that?"

"Yeah, yeah I think so."

"Well... we're almost at your house so I guess I'll see you tomorrow. Don't worry, you're parents don't know about the little disappearing stunt you pulled and I relayed the message about you falling down the stairs to cover for you're whacked up face. Honestly, I don't know why you protect Lavender so much. If I were you, I would have reported her and be done with it. If you let one Dregblood get away with punching a Nib,e in the face it won't be long before all of us become pulverised."

Mikyla nods and wonders if Sam really was Sade. He talked enough to be her but Sade would have never used such offensive words.

"Anyway, just remember there's a lot more of them than there are of us. We've got to keep them in their place otherwise..."

Sam didn't finish before coming to an abrupt halt almost causing Mikyla to be flung off the bike. When Mikyla regained balance she understood why. If she ever thought Boarbunions was large, her sense of scale really needs to be improved because compared to the building in front of her, it dwarfed in comparison. It was forbidden for Drows to come anywhere near the Noble sector and the distinction between the two was nothing short of black and white. There was no room for any grey. There just wasn't anything even remotely comparable.

"So, see you tomorrow then Mika!"

Mikyla nodded as Sam rode off. It would take her a lifetime just to walk the halls and now that Sam was gone Mikyla felt lonely in the mansion of stone. A fortress of isolation.

----------

Word Count for Chapter 8: 1409
Total Word Count: 11815

Authors Note:

Hope you liked the UNEDITED chapter 8! Don't forget to press on those magical stars to light up Mikyla's future path and leave a comment telling me what you like so far or what you don't like. Thanks for reading so far.

Happy reading
~ Dracollavenore

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33 6 50
I've never wanted this life for myself-this life filled with perils and evil. It's like a dream I can never escape from-a dream which I'm forever stu...
596 56 18
Book One is finally complete, please look forward to Book Two, The Chronicles of Arnora: The Zemorian Invasion! Thousands of years ago there was a gr...
31K 3.2K 74
A riveting coming of age story about an orphaned dracon shifter's struggle to control her own fate. "Black as a moonless night, might makes right," J...
130 1 8
Hello young one... You are in a road many wish to follow, but cannot reach. As the road divides into two paths, you are left with only two choices. ...