FIRAINTH Fire Water Wind Eart...

By Paostoryteller

4 Children have been chosen by the Goddess Eve to be the next Human Incarnation of the 4 Elements of Nature i... More

A Great Thank You
Chapter 1: A Help From a Friend
Chapter 2: The Great Loss
Chapter 3: Clairvoyante
Chapter 4: The unexplainable incident
Chapter 5: A dream?
Chapter 6: True Past
Chapter 7: Not Alone
Chapter 8: New Home
Chapter 9: The Birth of FIRAINTH
Chapter 10: The Wall
Chapter 11: The Welcome Feast
Chapter 12: The Tree House
Chapter 13: Ardenarth, Sirena and Tempien Valius
Chapter 14: Fear
Chapter 15: Always a Happy Memory
Chapter 16: The maps
Chapter 17: The Fire Queen
Chapter 18: The Offspring Cemetery
Chapter 20: Vows
Chapter 21: Underground Training.
Chapter 22: Astrumaurora
Chapter 23: Nocturnal Ambush
Chapter 24: The Death Camps
Chapter 25: Forgiveness
Chapter 26: Wrath
Chapter 27: A Flurry of Wings
Chapter 28: Flickering Flames
Chapter 29: Venom Drop
Chapter 30: Peace within the Earth
Chapter 31: The Dream
Chapter 32: Elementa Arma
Chapter 33: Rigorous Training.
Chapter 34: Pictures
Chapter 35: Murderer
Chapter 36: Lost
Chapter 37: Gone
Chapter 38: Under Her Thumb
Chapter 39: Escape
Chapter 40: Origins
Sequel

Chapter 19: Treachery

232 15 0
By Paostoryteller

The image of the people and creatures and their miserable, cold faces haunted their minds all the way back to the treehouse. Upon their return, they sat in their beds, where Monica shared hers with Peter.

Sirus was standing against the giant trunk in the centre of the room. Ama was sitting with Nicholas on his hammock, and Alexandra was sitting next to Judy on her bed.

For a long while, no one uttered a single word. Until...

"Who's Virginia?" Said Nicholas with a low dark voice.

He was aware that Virginia was actually the queen of Mount Vatra, but he also knew Virginia was someone strong and evil. He and the rest of the children wanted to know more about her.

"Do you recall, children, the story of Eve and Firainth?" Said Sirus, walking around the room.

Everyone nodded slowly.

"And do you recall us telling you which age the child that is chosen is forced to come to Firainth?"

"Twenty-five?" Peter guessed.

"Close. Twenty-eight." Replied Ama.

"And none of you noticed something wrong?" Sirus stopped walking and faced the children.

Now that he mentioned it, yes, something was wrong. It wasn't at the age of twenty-eight the children came to Firainth, it was at forty-seven.

All four looked at them with such stupefied eyes.

"Yes, children." Said Alexandra. "It should have been nineteen white moons ago."

"But..." Trembled Judy.

"Why?" Said Alexandra. "Is that your question?"

"Yes."

"It happened nineteen white moons ago," Began Sirus. "The day when we had to perform the ritual to bring you here. It can only be used by the four elements of nature combined. If one was missing, then it would be pointless. We weren't as strong that day as we are now. But before that day, Joan... no... Virginia, that's her real name. The queen of Mount Vatra. She was kind and gentle, and would never hurt anyone under any reason. She used to help the ones who needed her aid. She was the closest friend we ever had... she was family." Sirus paused, his tone deepened. "But that day... that terrible, cursed day..."

* * *

"Virginia is late," Said Alexandra. "Is she not?"

"Indeed she is." Sirus wondered. "She's never been this late."

Sirus and Alexandra were on the centre of Firainth where there was nothing but a giant field of green grass. They were alone. Even if it was a sunny day, the air was cold during Hivofroi. Both were wearing robes. Up in the sky, Ama flew down and landed next to Sirus.

"Any sign of her?" Said Sirus.

"She's coming." Said Ama happily and panting. "I can't wait to see them." She grinned wildly. "I wonder what they look like!"

"We'll know very soon." Said Sirus, reassuring.

"There she is." Said Alexandra, pointing up in the sky.

A human-shaped fire swopped down like a lightning bolt. It landed in front of them. A woman appeared. A tall woman with long red her hair and red eyes.

"Virginia!" Beamed Sirus. "Great to see you, old friend." He hugged her as she hugged him back.

"Hello, Sirus, Ama, Alexandra." Said Virginia with a low, sagely solid voice.

"What on Eve's sake are you wearing?" Ama chuckled, with an arched eyebrow.

Virginia was wearing a long dark and black dress. Only seen her in red or orange or any bright colour dresses before, but never black.

"Isn't it lovely?" Said Virginia, stroking her waist with both hands.

"It is, but you hate wearing black." Said Alexandra.

"Well, a person changes sometimes, no?" She replied, waving her hand.

Alexandra noticed Virginia's eyes were cold and empty. And her voice was dark and solid. But she ignored it for the moment.

"Well, it doesn't matter." Said Sirus, clapping his hands happily. "Come now, we've got some children to welcome."

"Yes, indeed we have." Said Ama joyfully, jumping in place, cheerfully. "I can't wait to see them."

Sirus, Ama, Alexandra and Virginia formed a circle and raised their arms wide open.

"Everyone ready?" Said Sirus cautiously.

"Yes." Replied Alexandra gently.

"Likewise." Said Virginia nodded.

"All the way." Said Ama happily.

"Remember, this is our first ritual. Concentrate and have fun." Said Sirus smiling.

Everyone nodded gently and giggled.

"Let us begin." Said Sirus.

And together they said:

"In the name of our Goddess Eve,

In the names of our founders

Lava Fire, Aqua Water, Ventus Wind, Humus Earth

Now's the time to bring forth the offspring

Now's the time to bring forth the new Elements

Now's the time to bring forth the new heirs to the thrones

Great Goddess Eve, aid us in this ritual

Give us the power

Aid the new comers on their journey to success."

Each of their hands glowed with their respective colours.

A bright, white light fell from the sky and landed in the centre of the circle. A voice echoed in the light. A soft, tender and beautiful voice of a woman. It was Eve.

"Sirus," Said the voice of Eve. "The new Earth Element is a boy named Nicholas. His life is not like any other child's. His heart is full of anger, sorrow and loss.

"Sirus, a heart of justice and strength, will you help the new heir to your throne in filling his heart with joy and hope, and to teach him to use his powers for harmony and never for destruction?"

"Yes. With every strength I have in me." Said Sirus loyally.

"Alexandra," Said Eve. "The new Water Element is a girl named Judy. She had lost so many people and courage in life. That loss caused her heart to fill with fear. Like you, she has a pure heart and is gentle with everyone.

"Alexandra, full of kindness and tenderness, will you help the new heir to your throne in filling her heart with joy and courage, and to teach her to use her powers for harmony and never for destruction?"

"Yes, I will. I will never fail to protect and to educate her." Said Alexandra truthfully.

"Ama, the new Wind Element is a boy named Peter. He is wise and intelligent, but he was betrayed many times that he has lost faith in those around him. Even himself.

"Ama, full of wisdom and liveliness, will you help the new heir to your throne in restoring his trust and teach him to use his powers for harmony and never for destruction?"

"Yes, dear goddess. I will protect him as I protect my kingdom." Said Ama sagely.

Now the voice turned to Virginia. The last one.

"Virginia, the new Fire Element is a girl named Monica. Her heart is gentle and pure. However, her life was nothing but miserable ever since her parents' death. All four of these children have lost everything and endured terrible wars. I fear that they might never trust anyone from what they have suffered during their lives in that world.

"Virginia, full of love and loyalty, will you help the new heir to your throne in restoring her heart and teach her to use her powers for harmony and never for destruction?"

"I would very much gladly." Said Virginia coldly.

Her voice was quite peculiar and disturbing. Alexandra, Ama and Sirus thought that Virginia was nervous or desperate about the ritual.

Virginia nodded with a sweet smile at everyone. Sirus, Ama and Alexandra grinned back at her.

The white light had vanished. Each of their hands glowed stronger and the sky went black at once like a river of light. Their hearts ached from all the keenness. There was a bright light in the sky above them. The ritual was working perfectly. Everything was perfect. Until suddenly_

"I would very much gladly torture her and kill her with my own hands!" Virginia bellowed sadistically. "Fire Blast!"

Fire burst out of Virginia and struck everyone at the same time, knocking them down like a wave.

The light vanished and the sky was bright again. The ritual had failed.

"Virginia! What have you done?" Shouted Sirus angrily and confused.

"Stay down!" Ordered Virginia gently, casting a small fireball at Sirus' leg, forcing him down. "All of you." And she sent two other projectiles at Ama and Alexandra.

"Virginia... what in Goddess' name are you... doing?" Said Alexandra painfully, placing her hand on her left arm.

"You and your love and kindness," Sneered Virginia gently and smiled, taking out a sword from her chest. "Did you really think I would let you complete the ritual? Did you really think I was going to let a little, useless brat rule my kingdom? Well, that's where you're wrong, my friends. I have lived with you for many decades. I've watched you day and night helping everyone around you, offering protection, love and harmony. It makes me sick!"

"What are you talking about? What's happened to you?" Said Ama, slowly getting up on her two legs.

"Can't you understand, my dear Ama?" Said Virginia. "I've had enough of you all! I've had enough of this kindness this harmony... this love!" She clenched her fists, "I am sick of this boring world. I want to destroy it, starting with...YOU! FIRUS CALAMUS!"

"HUMUS SHIELD!"

Virginia shot a fire arrow but Sirus sprang onto his feet and blocked it with his shield.

"Are you mad? Have you forgotten the reason of our existence? Do you recall our purpose as the human Elements?" Sirus roared, removing the shield.

"I'm already aware of that, Sirus. And I had enough of it! Ignis Balis!" Shouted Virginia, performing the most dangerous and deadly skill. She created a giant fireball in her hands and tossed it.

"LOOK OUT! LEVITATION!" Ama screamed before blasting into the air.

Alexandra and Sirus dodged the fireball with a single spring. It was as if someone threw a grenade. The Ignis Balis missed but the explosion was so powerful it blasted Alexandra and Sirus and Ama, caused them to fall on the grass. The black smoke almost covered half of the area. For Ama, neither Alexandra, Sirus nor Virginia were visible from where she was floating. She blew the smoke away. Then she found Sirus and Alexandra lying on the ground. Sirus was covering Alexandra, protecting them from the explosion by using the shield skill.

"Sirus, Alexandra, are you alright?" Called Ama anxiously.

The shield around them vanished once more. Sirus stood, helping Alexandra up. They were fine.

But where was Virginia?

Ama heard something. Something fast and close.

"AMA, BEHIND YOU!!" Screamed Alexandra alertly.

But it was too late. She gave a high, painful shriek. Her left shoulder was struck. She turned her head. Floating behind her was Virginia. Her sword had penetrated Ama's shoulder, while her free arm was around Ama's neck. She saw and felt her gold blood rushing down her back and chest.

"How does it feel, beloved Ama? Is it painful?" Whispered Virginia in Ama's ear, pushing the sword further in. Ama groaned.

"Let her go, Virginia!" Demanded Sirus.

"I'll let her go when I'm finished with her." Replied Virginia.

The pain grew as the sword entered deeper. Ama choked on her own blood. She inhaled from her nose and screamed, spattering gold blood out. "HAWEN FLAWEN!"

Virginia flew away from the sudden gust of wind. Ama gave another excruciating cry when Virginia's sword was removed.

Ama took a very deep breath. Her element mark was glowing. She penetrated her hand into her chest and took out a golden bow and an arrow.

Virginia never saw the arrow coming at her. It struck her left arm. Ama only shot one arrow to distract Virginia, and she hated hurting anyone, even who was attacking.

"Ama!" Called Alexandra.

Ama quickly flew down like the wind to Alexandra heal herself. It was a perfect opportunity to do so. However...

"Firus Calamus!" Virginia chanted from behind. It was fast as the arrow itself but Ama, thank to her hearing skill, dodged the flame arrow within a few inches.

"AHH!"

Ama had saved herself, but if Alexandra had seen the arrow from behind Ama, she would've used one of her water skill to stop the arrow from burning her arm. Alexandra fell down. She quickly she threw some water on her hand, putting the fire out. Alexandra may have the recovery skill but she couldn't use it for her own wounds, only for others.

Ama landed slowly on her feet and ran to Alexandra, kneeled heavily with her other hand on her wound. Sirus supported her to get up.

"Thank you, Ama, for helping me." Sneered Virginia, bowing gently in front of Ama.

"Virginia, stop this at once!" Demanded Sirus angrily. His element mark glowed emerald green on his chest.

Virginia dived down like an eagle diving for its bait, with its claws ready to attack. Sirus quickly jumped forward and stretched his arms open.

"STOP!!"

Virginia swung her sword at Sirus and... Bang!

Virginia fell on the ground, still in flames. A bright, shimmering harlequin light glowed in Sirus' hands, in the form of a thick long branch. The head of Virginia's sword trembled as it touched the light. So did Virginia. The shimmering light faded away slowly, then A long and thick brown spear appeared between Sirus' hands. It had a thin, green stalk curved around it from bottom to head. The sharp head of the spear had an emerald gem, nearly covering one side of the steal.

Virginia fought to attack, while Sirus struggled to defend.

"Virginia, enough!" Growled Sirus.

He had strength more than a thousand men, but he would never use it for violence. He was too afraid to use it against Virginia; he didn't want to hurt her ever.

"Why should I? I'm having the time of my life!" Said Virginia, enthusiastically as she moved her sword away from the spear and swung it again.

"AHH!"

The long and deep cuts on his chest and arm were awful to look at. He didn't see the attacks coming. She was so fast. How did she get so strong?

"Did that hurt, my dear Sirus?" Sneered Virginia, smiling down at him.

She raised her sword above her head, ready to strike. Sirus looked up at her with one eye open.

"Please, Virginia" Panted Sirus, his muscles weren't weak but his mind was. "Stop... I don't want to fight you."

Sirus placed his spear back into his chest where his element mark was.

"That's your problem. If you don't fight then you die." Said Virginia.

Virginia stopped at once. The shield appeared once more between them; covering Sirus, Alexandra and Ama, who were kneeling on the ground.

Virginia stared at their weak and sensitive faces. She wanted to break the shield so badly, but she was aware that it was impossible.

She turned her head and looked at everything around her. The field, the sky, the sun...

"This world is ridiculous and pathetic. I still can't believe I lived half of my life here. You're weak. You are all weak! All this love and friendship makes you weak. They are useless." Her mark was glowing, she placed her sword back into her chest and walked away.

Sirus got down on all fours and his shield vanished.

"Oh, Sirus," Virginia stopped with her back them. "I hope you don't mind. I sort of took some female offspring from their families."

"What?" Panted Sirus weakly, but Virginia heard him clearly.

"I took a centaur, a nymph and a human." Said Virginia, counting on her fingers. "They didn't want to come with me so I forced them to. I attacked them as I attacked you."

Virginia turned to face the king and queens. Their eyes were wide open and their mouth agape.

"WHAT?" Gasped Sirus, finding his strength again, trying to get up. "What did you do to them?"

"You'll see soon enough. Ah, there they are now..." Said Virginia, looking at the sky behind her.

A phoenix appeared through the white clouds. It dived down towards Virginia slowly. The closer it got, the more clearly Sirus, Alexandra and Ama could see what it was clutching between its claws. The phoenix was carrying two bodies, a centaur and a nymph, and another in his beak, a human. The phoenix dropped them; letting them fall and hit the ground. Virginia caught the human girl in her arms. They were all pale white and they weren't moving.

They were dead.

"Please, thank their families for me." Smiled Virginia, stroking the human girl's hair while holding her around her waist with the other arm.

Sirus got on his feet, his wounds forgotten.

"VIRGINIA!!" Growled Sirus angrily, running like a lion.

"SIRUS! DON'T!" Cried Alexandra.

Sirus was so furious, he had forgotten his weakest point. He had forgotten the earth's weakest point. Fire itself.

His fist was tightly clenched. He leaped at Virginia and...

"Fire Blast." Whispered Virginia.

A wave of fire came shooting out of her right hand, there was a loud bang and Sirus caught fire before landing on the grass again.

Virginia turned and jumped on the phoenix's back. It opened its orange-red wings, ready to fly away.

"From this day forward, I will seize every female human and half-breed offspring from each of your kingdoms. Torture them, and kill them with my own hands. Do not try to attack my kingdom for if you do, you will suffer the same faith as the king of earth!"

As the phoenix took off, Virginia's laugh filled the sky, and then vanished when she could no longer be seen.

* * *

"Ever since that day," Said Sirus, leaning against the giant tree trunk, "more than five female offspring from each kingdom disappeared every season. And every time we found one of them, we found her burned and dead. The angel Ama and Monica found had escaped from the castle and hid. But she was weak. She couldn't tell us anything about the offspring or their captivity. All we know is that Virginia takes them to her castle and tortures them."

Nothing was the same in this room anymore. Monica and Judy were trembling and their cheeks etched with dried tears. Peter's breaths were uncontrollable. Nicholas was sitting in his hammock, his hands shaking with anger, his eyes were fixed on the grass. He never stopped imagining the cries and the torture of the girls. Even if he never saw them, the image of the people running and screaming during the war helped him imagine.

"Did you try..." Said Nicholas in a low voice.

"To attack?" Interrupted Sirus.

Nicholas looked at him with his solid eyes and nodded slowly.

"No." Replied Ama. She got up from the hammock and stood next to Sirus. "We are forbidden. By Eve. After the funeral of these girls, Eve forbade us to attack Mount Vatra. She said the Vatrians had nothing to do with Virginia or the offspring. And besides, we would never attack anyone even if we're forced to."

"You said that the ritual can..." Peter swallowed, "Can be complete if the four elements of nature are together. Right?"

"Exactly." Replied Ama gently.

"But you said that Virginia never wanted the ritual to..." Said Peter, but was interrupted by Alexandra.

"For fifteen white moons, we tried to convince Virginia to complete the ritual. But every time we got near Mount Vatra, one of the creatures attacked us by an order from their queen. Even Eve tried to convince her to no avail

"Soon, we began to avoid her and train day and night, trying to protect our kingdoms and the children from that monster. Even some of our people and creatures began training for combat to protect their children. That's why we built this training ground. The houses under us were made for them to hide and train secretly. If Virginia ever knew about this, then she would destroy the houses." Alexandra sighed deeply and continued.

"Virginia keeps getting stronger every time she takes a child, whether human or half-breed. However, we don't know how.

"A few days before you came to Firainth, something happened...

* * *

Sirus, Ama and Alexandra were flying, Sirus on an eagle and Alexandra on a pegasus, from their kingdoms to the centre of Firainth where the ritual had failed. They saw her as they landed.

Virginia was waiting. Alone. She wore nothing but black and dark purple dresses, with black nails, ever since that day. Black symbolizes fear, evil and sadness, while the dark purple symbolizes cruelty. Virginia's favorite symbols.

Sirus and Alexandra got off from the creatures. They and Ama walked together slowly and stopped a few feet away from Virginia. She bowed and they bowed back in respect, even if they became enemies. They were scared but bold.

"You're late." Said Virginia coldly.

"Why did you call us here?" Said Sirus severely.

"Have you decided to stop this madness?" Said Alexandra.

"Why would I want to stop? It's very exciting." Said Virginia, amused and giggling.

Ama was about to attack Virginia when Sirus stopped her with one hand on her shoulder.

"Be in peace, my dear Ama, I did not come here from Mount Vatra to have a duel with you." Said Virginia. Her hand at the level of her neck caught fire. "Although, if death is what you seek, I'll be more than excited to take you there. After all, I am more powerful than any of you. Do you recall?"

Ama was not afraid of Virginia, neither was she afraid to be killed, but she knew violence would never have good outcomes. She stepped back and calmed herself.

"Too bad." Said Virginia disappointedly, the flame faded away.

"Enough of this!" Said Sirus at once, trying to keep his temper. "Why have you really brought us here if you do not wish to fight?"

Virginia walking back and forth with her evil smile and her piercing red eyes on Sirus and the queens. "Let's see now. Why would I call you from miles and miles away? Ah, yes, I remember. Oh, how could I have forgotten? Well..." She cleared her throat and stood. "The reason why I called you three is because we never finished what we started here, nineteen white moons ago. And I suggest we restart and finish it, properly without interruption this time."

"Are you mocking us?" Said Alexandra, looking puzzled and doubtful.

"Why would I want to mock you? You wanted the ritual, so here I am, proposing." Said Virginia.

But they doubted her words.

"We are no fools, Virginia," Said Ama calmly. "On what grounds would you want the ritual to be done now and not nineteen white moons ago? Why now, why not last time?"

Virginia didn't reply. Instead, she smiled with her red eyes fixed on them.

"Answer her!" Snapped Sirus furiously, and Alexandra quickly seizing his hand tightly.

"I just want to see the children." Replied Virginia. "I just want to see the princess of Mount Vatra and the other princess and princes. And besides, I've been thinking for many white moons and I just decided that it's high time we finished this ritual once and for all."

Alexandra, Sirus and Ama were quite surprised. They sensed something deeply evil and suspicious in her words.

"I can see that you do not trust me." Said Virginia. "Very well. If you refuse my proposal then I have nothing to do here. But I warn you. Never again will I attempt to ask for such a thing."

The king and queens stared at each with desperate and anxious looks. And still, they didn't have an answer for Virginia.

"Farewell and good luck stopping me." Said Virginia finally.

Virginia turned and walked away, ready to fly off.

"Wait!"

Virginia stopped. "Yes?" She said, turning her back with a smile.

Alexandra's mouth was open but nothing came out.

"If you have nothing to say then stop wasting my time. I have children to torture." Said Virginia.

"We accept!" Snapped Alexandra, stopping Virginia from walking away again.

"Excellent." Said Virginia coldly and grinning.

Sirus, Ama, Alexandra and Virginia stood in the same position as they did nineteen white moons ago. They said the same incantation, and Eve once more responded in the centre. She asked the same questions to Sirus, Ama and Alexandra.

"Virginia," Said Eve gently. "I forbid you to take care of Monica. You are never to see or talk to her. Alexandra, Ama and Sirus are responsible for Monica from now on. Sirus, Alexandra, Ama, you will take care of Monica and teach her as you will take care of Judy, Peter and Nicholas. Never let her near Virginia and do not let her go to Mount Vatra more than once."

But Virginia wasn't disappointed. She was excited and smiling. Ama, Sirus and Alexandra were aware of that. They accepted Eve's wishes.

Eve vanished, the sky went dark and each of their hands glowed. A bright light shone above them. Sparkles of red light came out of Virginia's hands, blue light from Alexandra's, green from Sirus' and yellow from Ama's. They flew through the light above them and vanished. Lightning and thunder struck four times. The light swirled round and round at full speed. Then a strong, white flash with the sound of an explosion filled the sky.

Everything went back to normal within seconds. The sky was blue again and the sun was shining.

Suddenly, Virginia burst into an evil laughter. Her laugh echoed through the sky. Sirus, Ama and Alexandra stared at her with fear and outrage. Whatever evil plans she had, it seemed that it worked.

* * *

"We never knew why she laughed like that," Said Sirus, placing his left hand under his chin. "Not until we found out some very important information. She's on the move to kill all four of you, even us, and then plans to destroy Firainth. By starting with..."

He turned and gazed at her. Virginia's main target. It was... "Monica." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.1K 3K 60
The Elfborn have been scattered. Naneen, Max, and Ollie head north to Scandia with the Nord in their search for the hidden lands of the Shae. Heath...
281K 5.9K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...
819 267 31
In the year 369, a Sitorian Guardian, born of all four races, emerges in the Land of Wind-a significant and unprecedented event. This Guardian, a boy...
11.5K 1.2K 54
The war in Faeryum wages on as Selvina and her companions wait for winter to end before King Arthur's army marches on to engage Empress Rhiannon's fo...