Late Night Talks ✔

By brainwrecked

HIGHEST RANK : #1 in Fiction and #9 in Teen Fiction A prank call gone wrong brings Vivian Castillo fac... More

aUthOR's noTe
chAptER oNE
chAPtEr tWo
chAptER thREE
cHapTeR foUR
chaPtER FiVe
ChApteR sIx
CHapTer SeVEn
cHApTer eiGht
ChaPTEr n!Ne
chApTer tEn
ChAPTer eLeveN
chApTer tWeLve
chAPTer Th!rtEEn
ChaPTer fOurtEEn
chApTEr f!FtEen
ChaPTEr s¡xteeN
chaptER SeVenTeeN
chAptEr e¡ghteEN
chAptER niÑeteEn
ChapTEr tWentY
chAPter tWenTy ønE
chaPTEr tWentY TwØ
chapTER TWeNty thrEe
ChApTer twEnty fOur
chaPter twenTY fIve
cHaPtEr TwEnTy sIx
ChaPTer tWentY sEvEN
chAPTer twENTy eiGHt
chaPTer twENty nIne
not an update
*summary so far* part 1
*summary so far* part 2
chAPter ThirtY
chAPteR ThiRTy oNE
cHAPter thIrty tWo
ChapTeR thirTy ThreE
cHAPteR Th!rtY foUr
ChapTER THiRTy Six
cHapter THiRTy SEvEn
ChAPTEr tHiRtY eiGHt
chAptER tHIRtY NinE
cHAPtEr fOrty
cHaPtEr foRtY onE
ChApter fOrtY twØ
cHaPTer fOrTy thRee
cHAptER fORtY FOur
cHApteR fOrtY fIVe
cHapTEr FOrty siX
ePiLOGuE
A FLING TO REMEMBER

chAPter th!RTy fIVe

31.9K 1.1K 254
By brainwrecked

A/N : Hola peeps! Many updates on the way. Please vote and maybe even comment if you like the story :) Happy reading!

PLAYLIST : Umbrella - Rihanna

     "What about the guy in the blue shirt?" Tiffany asked, sneakily nodding her head towards a guy sitting across our table.

     "He's cute. But his friend with the glasses is hot. I'd choose him." Shayna said.

     On monday, the most boring day of the week, Tiffany, Shayna and I were sitting in a coffee shop after school, whiling away time discussing random guys. We happened to have a group of gorgeous guys sitting right across our table.

     I took a sip of my cappuccino. "I agree. They don't look from around here, right?" I observed.

     "They look a couple years older than us. They could be in college," Shayna said. The guy Shayna was talking about, looked in our direction. Their table was far enough so that they couldn't hear our conversation, but close enough to look at without appearing creepy. He subtly made eye contact with Shayna and gave her a wink.

     "I think he's looking at you, Shayna. The hot guy," Tiffany said.

     Shayna smirked. "Look at that smile. I have a thing for guys with charming smiles. I'd totally talk to him."

     Tiffany gave a confused look to Shayna. "What about Derek?"

     Shayna's smile turned into a pout. "I don't know where we stand. I thought maybe we could have a relationship. It's like boys only want me for the physical stuff. They don't seem to want anything meaningful with me."

     She rested her chin on her hands and continued, "One minute we're kissing and stuff, next minute he pulls away and says sorry. I don't know what exactly he's sorry for. It's so confusing. Maybe he wants to end things."

     End things? But Derek was just talking about Shayna's birthday the other night. "Shayna," I said. "I don't think he wants to end things."

     "Maybe you should tell him exactly how you feel. Then he'd take you seriously. Boys don't usually get this stuff, unless you spell it out for them," Tiffany said.

     "You're right. I should do that," Shayna agreed. "The college guy will have to wait." Then she looked at me expectantly.

     "Um, yes. Tiffany's right," I said.

     "He has wayyy too many problems of his own. Even if this doesn't work out, it's kinda fine," Shayna said. "But, I'll try. You could talk to him and ask him."

     I realized Shayna was looking at me. "What, me?" I asked confused. "Why me?"

     "I feel like you could talk to him about me."

     That was a very vague answer. But I could talk to him about Shayna. That's what friends do. "Yeah, sure. If I talk to him," I said and smiled at Shayna. Maybe Derek told her that we talked. That's what she's got to mean and that's what her look was telling me.

     I gulped down the rest of my cappuccino and felt the warmness in my throat and body. We were getting ready to leave when the door to the coffee shop opened and three pairs of footsteps walked in. When one of them stopped near me, I looked up to see that it was Cabe.

     "Um, hey," I said.

     "Hey, there," Cabe said. He bent down and gave me a kiss on my cheek. I smiled awkwardly.

     "Hi," Tiffany and Shayna said together.

     "We were just leaving," I said to Cabe.

     "Ok, I'll see you later. I got to run too," he said. After saying our byes, we left the coffee house. Once we were outside, I turned my attention to Tiffany and Shayna to see two bewildered faces staring at me for answers.

     "What was that?" Tiffany blurted out. "Why didn't you tell us that you're dating him again?"

     "We're not exactly dating," I said. How do I even begin to explain what it was. The last time I met Cabe, we made out in Taco Bell. We didn't even talk once all these days. How do you define that relationship?

     "We're waiting . . ." Tiffany prompted me.

     "We're just hooking up. It's not important."

     Shayna and Tiffany exchanged a look, probably wondering since when did I start 'just hooking up'. Tiffany blinked her eyes. "If you say so."

~~~

     Like a daily routine, Derek called again that night. I jumped on my bed and grabbed the phone. "Hi!" The jump made me a little breathless.

     "You almost sound excited to talk to me."

     "Oh, no. I'm breathless because I," I said trying to think of an excuse, "went out for a jog."

     "At one in the night?"

     I should've known that I made up terrible excuses. "I couldn't sleep."

     "Hey, how do you think I'd look in glasses?"

     I immediately remembered the hot college guy from the coffeeshop. "Like the college guy. But since you don't know him, I'd say you'd look pretty good. Why?"

     "Because I'm getting glasses. I knew I should've eaten more carrots!" he groaned.

     "Oh. Nice. You'd look good in glasses," I declared.

     "Are you kidding me? I'm freaking out here. I hate glasses. It's so difficult taking photos while wearing glasses. Don't even get me started on contacts. I hate putting things in my eyes," he complained.

     "And you tell me that girls make a big deal out of nothing. Look at you grumbling like a baby."

     "Glasses are bad for my reputation," he said in a high pitch voice.

     I couldn't help rolling my eyes. "You'll get used to it. And Shayna likes glasses. Speaking of Shayna, what's going on between you two?"

     "Glasses are bad for my reputation!" he said again in a shrill voice.

     Why can't I ever get a straight answer out of him? "Stop, Derek. You remember how you were telling me one day about how you wanted to be in a relationship? I think you can have that with Shayna. I think she's on the same page as you." Okay, this was what Shayna asked me to do. My job was done. And if Derek was going to be as dense as always, then I couldn't help it.

     "Do you believe in soulmates?" Derek asked suddenly. Oh, I did not want to have this conversation with him.

     "I don't know. Well, I didn't find mine yet," I replied.

     "But do you think he's somewhere out there?"

     "I've never thought about it. What do you think?"

     "I think it'd be cool if I find my soulmate."

     "If soulmates exist, you'll find her."

     "That's not possibly true. What if she lives in another country?"

     I facepalmed. Here I was talking to Derek about Shayna and he's shooting off questions about an imaginary girl living millions of miles away. Sighing, I said, "I think if you're meant to be, you'll find a way to each other. Even if the person lives halfway across the world."

     "That's comforting to listen to."

     I smiled. "It sure does sound comforting. Now only if it was as easy to have one."

     "What do you think he'd look like, your soulmate? What do you want him to be like?"

     "He doesn't have a face yet. But he'd be pretty cool."

     "Cooler than me?" he asked intently. "You don't think he'd be cooler than me, right?"

     "If he's my soulmate, I'd think he's the best. So yes, cooler than you."

     "Ouch." He feigned hurt.

     "Don't get so offended. We're talking about an imaginary guy."

     "That still didn't make me feel better."

     "Aww. The stud's feelings are hurt. Poor you."

     "Don't mock me. I really am hurt. First I can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm getting glasses. And then you think some imaginary guy is better than me. How much do you think a guy can take? I have ego issues."

     I laughed. "At this point, I can't really say if you're kidding or not."

     "I'll make it easier for you. I'm not."

     "You're worse than a girl feeling hormonal. I apologize for bruising your ego. Can I do something to boost your ego?"

     "You could tell me that I'm hot."

     "Huh," I said. Frankly, I didn't know what else to say. "You need me to tell you that you're hot? Don't you already know that?"

     "It wouldn't hurt to hear it once in a while," he encouraged me.

     "Jeez, I can't believe I'm saying this, but yes, you're hot."

     "Thank you. I think you're pretty sexy yourself."

     "Oh well, who'd have thought. Thank you."

     "And . . . ?" he implored.

     "And what?"

     "That's all? That's the only compliment you can give me?!"

     "You want me to compliment you?" I asked, not believing my ears. 

     "Duh..."

     How did the conversation go this way? What the hell was happening right now? "Gosh, you sound so needy today. What's going on?"

     "What's going on? Hm, I don't think I have an answer to your question."

     We should really stop talking in the night. We always talk stupid. "I think you're kinda awesome. But you're also loopy tonight. So let's talk tomorrow?"

     "Don't hang up yet, Vivian. Talk to me."

     "Why?"

     "Because . . . that's what I want to do."

~~~

     A million stupid and meaningless conversations later, I glanced at the alarm clock on the night table. "Derek, it's three in the morning."

     "So?"

     "So?" I repeated after him. "I need to sleep and wake up early for school."

     "You can skip a class."

     "Easy for you to say. It's not even necessary for you to come to school now."

     "Okay, don't grumble. I'll call you tomorrow."

     "Wait, who's grumbling?!"

     "You. You're the grumbler. Bye, good night."

     "You're not having the last word. You're the-" What? He hung up? "Ugh, I hate you, Derek! And you're the grumbler! Bye!"

A/N : Thanks for reading! Make me smile please, by hitting that star 🌟 xoxo

# Would you rather speak all languages or be able to speak to all animals?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

687K 19.6K 35
"I know that I can fuck up your whole life with one look. But I can't stop myself." ✰ ✰ ✰ Mia Rose...
766K 25.8K 45
Joe Smith. A basic name but there was nothing basic about him. With his chiselled features, green eyes that could pin you to the spot and a smile tha...
1.2M 39.4K 46
[ Highest Rank: #3 Teen Fiction ] [ Highest Rank: #25 Romance ] ❇❇❇ Life's hard when you live next door to the High School Bad Boy that used to be...
456K 22.7K 38
Skylar Davies has always been a proud member of the "Invisibles", you know, those people at school whom everyone seems to NOT know about? But when s...