Secrets of a Southern Belle

By _haileyyk

Everyone has secrets that they keep. The town of Darling is full of them, and the townspeople will do anythin... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 5

2K 83 9
By _haileyyk

The air was still warm on our walk to Sugar's despite it being almost eleven.  Despite the decent weather, Austin still gave Molly his lettermans jacket, which made her turn a shade of red that I've never seen on her before. I know she was screaming on the inside and that made my lips twitch upwards.

Despite our town not having a lot of residents, Sugar's was packed. As we approached the diner, I see other people from our school hanging out outside. Country music blasted around us as Wesley held the door open, and we sat our usual booth in the back corner by the juke box.  Immediately, Bev brought us menus and some water.

"What would all ya'll like tonight?" She asked with a warm smile as she tucked a strand of her brown, curly hair out of her face. It looked like she was a victim of the Georgia humidity despite the time of night.

Wesley looked around at each of us, and we all nodded in response.

"I think our usuals, Bev," Wesley ordered for us.

Bev winked before walking away.  "Coming right up. Anything for Darling's shining stars."

"Thank you!" We all yelled after her in unison over the loud music.

My eyes drifted to Wesley. I watched as he laughed at something Austin said, showing his white smile. Even on a bad day, his smile could brighten it. I guess that's why I've always been attracted to him. Wesley is just someone you want to be around. He is charismatic, kind, funny, and caring. If it weren't for Blake, girls would be swarming him. He's really the picture-perfect guy.

"So."  Savannah leaned on the table. "That was quite a game!"

"I know! They didn't stand a chance," Sawyer agreed.

"Did you see the look on that guy's face when you intercepted the ball in the third quarter?" Austin asked, excitedly.

"He had no idea!" Wesley laughed, followed by my brother. "You were on a roll today, Haywood."

My brother shrugged.  "I had to get on coach's good side after being late. Jefferson doesn't have a good team anyways."

"True that," Austin agreed. "Wesley's dad is definitely gonna be in a good mood all weekend."

Molly was looking at Austin like every word coming out of his mouth was gold. That girl had it bad. It was weird seeing Molly so out of character. She's usually the outspoken one who didn't let anyone see her emotions.

My attention went back to Wesley, who was now looking at me. I tried to conceal the blush that was forming on my cheeks.

"What did you think of the game, Rae?"

"It was great. You guys did amazing tonight," I replied, trying not to show any hint of my feelings for him.

"I'm surprised you were able to pay attention after seeing Rhett Dixon," Molly chimed in. "That's all I could focus on after you told us."

The table fell silent. All three boys were looking at me like I've grown a second head. My brother looked especially concerned. I didn't really want to tell Sawyer, at least not tonight.

"Wait, you saw Rhett at the game?" Sawyer asked, surprised.  I could see him grounding his jaw.

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. I didn't like be the center of attention at this table right now, and I could feel Sawyer's irritation.

"Yeah, I went to get some food and saw Rhett and his friend walk in."

"That's weird."  Austin scrunched his nose like he smelled something bad.

"Those people never come to our games. You should stay away from them. The Dixons are bad news, Rae. I'm not sure why they were there, but no good can come out of it," Wesley warned me like my mom did.

Sawyer nodded his head. I could practically feel his anger. He was not happy about this.  "Yeah, I agree with Wes. If you see them again, just walk far away," Sawyer agreed, keeping eye contact with me.

I could tell he was being protective of me by the look in his eyes. It had everything to do with our dad. My dad made the mistake of trying to get to know them because he felt bad about how everyone treated the Dixons. He was a super friendly guy and curious like me. One night about two years ago, he told us that he was going over to their house to talk to Rhett's dad, Jason, and my mom begged him not to go, but he went anyways. He didn't come home that night. It wasn't until the next morning that the police showed up at our door. They told us that they found my dad's body in the woods and said it looked like some type of animal attack.

My brother insists that it was the Dixons, but the police found no evidence against them. I tried to blame the Dixons; I thought that maybe blaming them would make me feel better, but I just couldn't. I'm not the type to hold a grudge or to harbor hate. When my brother and everyone else says bad things about the Dixons, I can't help but feel sorry for them. I get a strange feeling when I am near them, but it doesn't stop the part of me that is curious.

I nodded at my brother and gave him a smile that told him I would listen to him. They all began to gossip about Rhett being at the game.

"Maybe he was scoping the place out," Austin suggested.

"For what?" Savannah asked.

"I dont know. Gang stuff?"

"Maybe he was looking for their next target," Sawyer said, bitterly.

I couldn't take the gossip about him any longer. I don't even know the guy, but I still felt uncomfortable. He's someone that no one likes, yet I get annoyed at people talking bad about him? Why can't I be like everyone else and be fearful? 

I had to get away from the table. "I'm going to check on our order," I stated as I got up and left before anyone could say anything.

Their conversation about Rhett began to fade away as I walked up to the tall counter between a couple classmates.

"Hey, Bev. How's our order coming?"

Bev turned around with a tray full of food and drinks. Her cheeks were tainted pink from her working hard, and one strand of curly hair covered one of her hazel eyes.

"Oh, it's coming, darling.  You guys are next up," she replied as she went around the counter to serve someone's order.

I gave her a polite smile.  "Thanks. No rush. I was just checking."

A familiar scent of vanilla suddenly filled my nose, meaning that Blake was close. I shut my eyes and stilled, hoping she wouldn't see me. 

I could practically feel the anger radiating off of her. She grabbed my shoulder so I was facing her and whispered loudly, "Don't think I didn't see you checking out my boyfriend at the game. "

Blake was trying not to let Wesley hear because she knows he would get upset. She didn't want to loose her trophy.

I rolled my eyes.  "I wasn't checking him out, Blake. I was watching the game like everyone else, which includes him since he is one of the players."

Blake's cheeks were turning red from either embarasment or anger.

"She's lying, Blake. I saw the way she was looking at him."  Blake's friend Shelby gave me a dirty look.

Blake's angry, blue eyes shifted from her friend back to me. She poked me hard in the chest and pushed me against the counter so my that my back was against it. The students that were sitting at the counter quickly moved out of the way.

"If I see you looking at Wesley like that again, or even so much as look like you're flirting with him, I'll make sure my daddy fires your mama from the grocery store. She will never be able to work in this town again. Remember, my family owns everything, and I can ruin you, Rae," her voice was almost a growl.

A dinging sound rang in my ears, interrupting mine and Blake's little chat. Light, green eyes caught mine, and I realized who it was. The diner fell silent besides the country music echoing through it. Rhett Dixon stood in the doorway in his black, leather jacket staring right at me.

My body was frozen and my heart hammered in my chest. It wasn't like Rhett was scary, but his presence and especially how he was looking at me was overwhelming. My eyes raked over his body. I could have swore I saw a smile tug at his lips in response. Whispers began to fill the room as the song ended.

Rhett finally moved from the front door towards the opposite side of the diner, where people began to move from their seats away from him like he had some sort of disease. Rhett sat down at a small booth that was recently occupied and acted like everyone wasn't focused on his presence.

I watched as Bev hesitantly made her way over to Rhett, and took his order. His voice wasn't loud enough for me to hear him, but Bev nodded and hurried back behind the counter. As soon as she was out of his line of sight, his eyes were on me once again. He had to be here because of what I saw. The football game, now here? This couldn't be a coincidence.

Blake and Shelby looked between us. They stepped back away from me and headed towards the door.  "Wow, you must be trash if you caught Rhett Dixon's attention. Wait until my mama hears about this. They won't let you step foot near the debutante. Maybe next time you'll think twice about looking at what's mine," Blake mocked in a low voice before turning her attention towards my table. "Wes, meet me at my house in fifteen. Don't be late, sugar."  Blake blew a kiss to Wes, and he nodded before her and Shelby left me speechless in the diner.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8M 139K 56
Lauren is in trouble. BIG trouble. She found her mate - and he ISN'T her sweet, long-term, long-distance boyfriend. He's an Alpha. Can you blame a gi...
34M 928K 63
Seventeen-year-old Scarlett Hayes is living her life by her own rules. Losing her parents at a young age has made her strong and fiercely independent...
544K 28.9K 50
There is a darkness that lurks inside of me. The evil that runs through my veins is a constant reminder of the ruthless killer I once was. But someh...
446K 12.7K 89
"Naughty Rose, trying to get started without us, tell us what you want baby," I cooed at her. "I want all of you right now. I want to be rid of my vi...