The King's Mate - Reconstruct...

By gracerose767

{Mature Content} RECONSTRUCTION AND EDITING TAKING PLACE. SLOW PROGRESS. Broken. Shattered. Traumatized. Thre... More

Cast and A/N
'Kill this Love' Preview
'A Touch of Sin' Preview
Dedications
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Eight

113K 2.6K 846
By gracerose767

Here is Chapter Eight. I am very sorry about the wait, I have been finding it very hard to just write, let alone rewrite and reconstruct.

Hope you all enjoy.

Thank you for reading :)

Now suddenly you're asking for it back

Could you tell me, where'd you get the nerve?

Yeah, you could say you miss all that we had

But I don't really care how bad it hurts

When you broke me first

Chapter Eight - Green Eyes

Elena's POV

The forest was silent as Blake was leant over me, his brilliant eyes shining into my own as the breath was knocked from my lungs. I was silent as I waited for his lips to descend on my own, the sudden want of this happening being so sudden; so raw.

I was beyond confused by this point. He said he was my mate; I knew he was. But deep down I was scared. I was so scared that he wasn't; that he was lying just to spite me. Nevertheless, I watched as his faced inched closer to mine, my heart rate spiking in mixed emotions.

He was so close to my lips, my own eyes fluttering closed. But he froze, causing me to open my eyes and look at him in worry, thinking I did something wrong. But I didn't. His eyes were glassed over with a misty grey, a cloudy, look to them. I knew he was mind linking, and by his facial expressions he looked insanely angry that he was being mind-linked.

Get a hold of yourself Elena. You do not know the male, do not get involved.

Was he going to take that anger out on me?

Dread filled my stomach like I was drinking it. I rolled my lips together as I was basically stuck under him, his arms caging my upper body in a slightly erotic way.

I will my subconscious to remove the latter thought, knowing the way we were lying now inappropriate for someone like me and someone like him. I also knew that talking to myself within my own mind was probably a sign of mental degradation, something that had been expected of me ever since I was brought into this world.

"Hello Little Mate." My eyes return to his blue ones again, the cloudy mist gone. His voice was soft and coaxing, something so unusual. Did men often speak like this to females they lay with?

I force a smile, scared of what he was going to do next.

Were we going to kiss before the mind-link came through?

I couldn't help the thought; it was almost automatic.

I had seen people kiss before; I had seen men kiss many women before. Especially in the Pack House at the old pack. Some kisses looked nicer than others, some looked bad. Some women looked hurt by it, like they didn't want it but some looked like it was what they desired though.

I could not interfere, otherwise I would get a similar, if not worse fate to those women. I felt so sorry when I saw the pain in their eyes. It didn't matter if they were leaning into those kisses or not, it didn't matter whether their legs went up around their men's waist, it did not matter the act they put on, or whether it was true or not. There was always a pain, a hurt, in their eyes and I couldn't do anything to stop it. I would give my life to cure those women of their pain, except I cannot.

That's the one thing I want to do before I go; help someone and change their life. So that is why I was still alive, why I pushed through.

I knew I couldn't make it much further, but I hoped that someday I could change a person's life.

Despite this, the anxiety the grew in my stomach at the thought of this man, this stranger, kissing me gave me was not welcome. It was bad. I could not let him this close again for those reasons exact.

His facial expression changes softly, with his eyebrows creasing in a strange pattern. This only lasts for a few seconds before he pulls himself up, offering me his own hand as he stands on his feet. He moved fast, which surprised me but I knew I shouldn't be that surprised as he was meant to be an Alpha of a Pack. He also acted as though I didn't weigh a lot, which to him I probably didn't since he was an 'Almighty Alpha'. That's what they called the Kings of the Continents. The 'Almighty'. I never understood why however, it was strange to think that they were stronger than normal Alphas, since they were an Alpha themselves but then you had to consider that they ruled over their pack as well as the land assigned to them, so they should gather more strength than normal Alphas, if that at all made sense.

He lifted me off the ground with ease, and we were already walking away from the beautiful field and towards the path we walked on to get here. The sun was still in the sky, and the breeze was light. The skies were still blue with a few fluffy clouds spotting the atmosphere, although there were less than there were earlier.

He doesn't say anything, which I found unusual but I didn't say anything as that would be rude of me to do so. Blake takes my hand, instead of saying something of course, and leads the way back through the forest. I furrow my eyebrows as we walk away from the picnic blanket we were sitting on, thinking to myself is he just going to leave it here?

Despite the question I had to ask, I was semi-frozen as he pulled me along because of the feeling I felt when he held my hand. I didn't know how to describe it other than the feeling of electricity running throughout your body, but good electricity.

Not the bad electricity Alpha Jones had used before, this one was good, it felt nice but in a not-weird way.

As we walked back there was silence, neither one of us said a word and it was semi-awkward. Or it felt like that too me. On the way, he never let go of my hand and was holding it as though I could disappear at any second but he didn't say a word either. I did wonder why he was so tense, but I didn't question it; maybe he didn't want to tell me.

The air was starting to cool down, not to cause Goosebumps but to make me wish I brought a jacket along. It didn't matter though; we were close to Blake's house anyway. However regardless to the thought that we were close to Blake's house and I didn't need one, Blake stopped for a second before turning to a tree and running off towards it. I was confused for a few second, secretly wondering if he had just left me and didn't want to walk back with me anymore.

I tired my best to get rid of the rather obstructive thoughts but they didn't leave. I started to shiver as I watched Blake rummage through the tree, as he didn't completely disappear from sight, until he pulled out a bright red jumper. A confuse look must have passed over my face because as he returned, he looked at me; his eyes glowing and lips quirking up in a smile. It doesn't take him long to be at my side again and suddenly the dark inner voice disappears.

"We have clothes around the place, I put my jumper here a while back when I wanted to go on a run." He states with his arm extended towards me and the jumper in hand. I smile graciously and take the jumper, my skin probably cold to the touch at this point.

I try to withhold the blush that threatened to escape to my cheeks at the thought of it being his jumper, but it was no use. Instead to cover it up, I slipped the jumper over my head and put my arms through the enormous arm-holes. The hood was still over my head when I was finally swimming in the fabric, and it was very difficult to role up the arms without them coming back down again.

I struggle for a few seconds, ignoring Blakes piercing gaze as I fiddle with the ends of the jumper wanting to figure it out myself. It wasn't that it was hard; my fingers were cold and difficult to move and the sleeves would easily ride down again. I hear a smile laugh come from Blake and I look up, playfully narrowing my eyes.

Instead of saying anything he takes my left sleeve and rolls it up tighter than I did, leaving it resting just below my fingertips so I could keep them tucked in. He quickly does the other one and smiles down at me.

"See, easy." I roll my eyes at his comment and continue walking, mumbling under my breath some not very nice things. "I can hear you; you know." He continues with a laugh, but I ignore him and continue on my striding towards the barely visible house.

I hear him behind me as he runs to catch up because I'm moving so fast – which was a total lie. He was at my side in seconds and soon enough his hip met the side of my waist, as I was pushed into him by his arm that when around my shoulders. He was warm, despite him just wearing a T-shirt and I didn't know how that was even possible because the temperature kept dropping. I wasn't going to question it as he was very warm and despite the contact – which I was ultimately deathly afraid of – he was like a personal heater.

We continued to walk in silence, a comfortable silence which was much like before.

Eventually we made it back to the warmly lit house. Time seemed to passed extremely fast the tireder I grew. We had dinner, and I didn't make it which I was slightly upset about but I figured that I wouldn't have been able to since I was so tired anyway. I don't remember who had made it but it was really yummy, and I believe it was handmade gnocchi. Regardless of dinner, I was coerced into watching some TV with Blake, who was watching something known as the 'NEWS'. I roughly knew what it was, and I had heard about it before but I had never actually watched it.

It was fascinating though, it showed all the current world events, all things that were happening right now. Although, as fascinating as it was, I eventually fell asleep against the corner of the couch. I did not eat much at dinner, so maybe that was why I fell asleep so soon, but I did doubt that at the same time.

I never got to sleep very well with Alpha Jones' Pack. It would be scary to allow yourself in a state of vulnerability but when I was in this house, with the Alpha King of this continent, I found it quite easy to do so. I didn't understand why, well I sort of did, I just didn't want to admit it to myself because then I would be vulnerable in more ways than one once more.

So instead of admitting anything to myself, I let myself rest in the corner of the couch curled into a little ball.

Somewhere between the world and dream land I feel myself being lifted into a sort of weightlessness, a warm hold holding me close as I am moved. I barely open my eyes to see who it was, not really caring as the hold was comforting and warm.

So instead of caring who it was, which I should have been – which I should have needed to be – I went against everything I had learnt in the past twelve years of my life, and let myself relax in Blake's hold as he carried me to goddess-knows-where in the house he calls his home.

I was awoken by the sun streaming through the curtains the covered the rather large window. There was no presence with my in the bed, which was reliving and had instantly calmed my already fast paced heart.

Not that I was expecting someone to be there.

No one but myself slept in this bed and I have to remind myself of that. I was safe here.

I take a relaxing breath and push myself up on the bed, wiping the sleep from my half-shut eyes. I narrow my eyes once I see a sleeping figure on the couch a few metres away, instantly knowing it was Blake.

I was comfortable with Blake sleeping in the room as he made sure there were no monsters nearby. He started sleeping in here when I started waking up from bad dreams, and now I didn't have them because he slept on the couch that became a bed. I did feel bad for him sleeping on the couch, but he insisted it was okay.

It did make me wonder why he would do something like that for someone who he calls his mate. Maybe he was being legitimate about it.

I slip out of bed effortlessly and tippy-toe over to the ouch which Blake was occupying.

I leant over his sleeping form, his eyes fluttering slightly in his sleep. He looked quite cute, like a sleeping child. I try to contain my giggle as I reach down and poke his cheek to make sure he was sleeping, the touch making his cheek bounce a little. It was funny. This was so much different to what he was when he was awake. I smile deviously before reaching my index finger out and poking his cheek again, trying to see if the devil was actually awake or just ignoring me. Little ripples spread across his cheek but he doesn't wake, the ripples making me want to do it again, however I can't because he may wake up the next time I do it.

Bouncy-cheeks.

So instead I put my energy into better things and decide to go read a book. I was definitely not sleeping again for a while, my body too awake now for me to do anything that required relaxation.

I sneak down the hallway, still dressed in the jumper Blake had given me last night and the shorts I had slipped on before dinner as they were soft. I admired the photographs and paintings as I walked out the room and down the rather long hallway. Slipping out of the room was easy and I didn't have to open the door up too much because I was smaller than most people my age.

I stopped in my tracks as I saw a framed photograph of a small boy standing next to a younger boy and girl, who are holding hands, with two adults in the background holding their arms around the three children.

The boy and girl holding hands are undeniably siblings, however the brother looked a few years older than the girl. They had the same bright blue eyes and dark hair. Then there was a young boy standing in between the older brother, who had to be Blake, and his sister. This boy must be in-between Blake and his sisters age. The middle boy had a wide smile with light green eyes and brown hair, similar to his father. So, Blake looked more like his mother than his father, although there was definitely some resemblance.

I hum to myself and smile, thinking Blake's family was cute, before moving on and going into the kitchen. Although I wasn't that hungry Blake had made dinner last night so I should probably make breakfast for him. It was only fair I figured.

I did not want to make anything too sugary as I knew Blake had had that yesterday so it may be to common so I decided to go for toast. It wasn't that hard either; it was easy to make.

I got the toaster form the cabinet underneath the white island counter, plugging it into an outlet. I grabbed the rye bread from the bread cabinet and put some into the toaster, noting how there wasn't any white bread in the cabinets. At the same time as the bread was toasting, I quickly searched the cupboards and draws for utensils and spreads to go on the toast, finding my favourite thing ever. I smile in mischief when Nutella comes into my hands, along with some other spreads.

I gather two glasses from a high cupboard, finding it extremely difficult to reach them as they were too high but I managed to climb onto the counter-top briefly to retrieve them. I then cleaned the countertop because it was unhygienic to climb up there. I then go to the metallic silver fridge and find some apple-mango juice, something that I really liked and poured it into the two glasses I had just retrieved.

I really like doing mundane things like this. It was calming and distracting.

I make sure the timer on the toaster is still set to the right amount and I run upstairs to go get Blake so he can choose his own spread. I carefully make my way back down the hall and slip into the room.

An evil smirk rises on my lips when I approach the sleeping form of Blake. I purse my lips and scurry to grab a plush deep blue pillow from the grand bed I was sleeping on earlier. I pick it up in my hands, griping it by the ears as I slowing walk over to Blake.

I try to contain my giggles as I throw the pillow down on Blakes clothed chest. I screw up my nose in dissatisfaction when just as the pillow is few centimetres from his chest, his arms shoot up to protect himself, with the pillow going flying through the air as he deflects it. I gobble like a fish, annoyed that it didn't even hit him, but mainly starstruck at how quickly he deflected the pillow and stood up to come into a fighting stance.

"Bu-but." I stammer for words as I try to form a sentence. I just wanted to hit him. Dread fills my stomach.

Oh no, that was such a bad thing to do. Is he going to be mad at me for trying to playfully hit him with a pillow?

I swallow the lump in my throat and stare at him like a deer in headlights, honestly scared for my life.

"Did you just try to hit me with a pillow Elena?" He asks smoothly with a kind smile, somehow calming my nerves that continually strip my stomach dry of any appetite.

"Uh, no?" I answer in a small voice, still trying to make a decent sentence in my head.

"Right, it must have been a ghost then." He says with a laugh. I let go of any of the tension I had in my body as I waited for him to reply, now knowing he wasn't going to hurt me.

He nods his head at his own sentence and walks into the attached walk in robe to, as anyone would guess, to get dressed. I huff impatiently, something I have never done in my life before, as I twiddle my thumbs and stand there awkwardly waiting.

Luckily, I didn't have to wait very long

"Hurry up!... Please" I pause for a second, thinking about my words "I have made breakfast and it is ready downstairs, t-that is if you want it." I inform Blake impatiently, proud of myself as the sentence did sound correct. I had been working on my pronunciation.

I hope he wants it, the food I mean.

In response to my demand and question, I get a muffled groan, the sound not very distinct as it comes from a different room. I sigh and continue to wait as he makes himself decent, not that he wasn't already decent, it is just that he was wearing a white t-shirt and grey pants, that were apparently called 'trackies'.

After a few more minutes of waiting, he returns in a suit, or something similar to it. It was formal attire regardless. He was wearing a lighter sea blue shirt underneath a suit jacket, which was navy blue, along with some navy blue pants. It was very pleasing to the eye, in the sense that the colours matched quiet well.

His hair also appeared to be semi-dry, meaning he must have had a shower, which would also explain why he took so long. Not that it is a bother, I can wait anyway.

He doesn't have a tie, which I prefer as it looks more 'Blakey' that way. I smile to myself, looking down at the ground with a crimson blush, as I catch myself admiring the male who stands a few metres away.

I purse my lips and take a calming breath before walking out the door at a normal pace, knowing Blake can catch up. As good as he did look in the suit, I felt disappointed he was going to work today. I also knew that I was just being annoying to him, and he did have a continent to run.

Maybe he was going to see his real mate.

The thought was unwelcome and cynical but I couldn't help it. I suck in my stomach and continue to walk down the stairs and a slow place, my thigh still a little sore; even after all these weeks. I can feel Blake close behind me, his hands hovering above my waist as his body radiates a significant amount of heat.

We arrive at the kitchen in a rush, and I start buttering my own toast as Blake insists, he does his own. We are seated in minutes and eating, Blake looking through a very big document folder that was filled with papers, and me, who was looking at the cartoons on a large page of the newspaper Blake had given me. They were funny and cute.

"You know you have to start eating more?" His voice calls out behind me as he stands and puts his plate in the dishwasher. I never knew what one was until Blake showed me a few days ago.

I hum in reply, following that with a nod. I know I should eat more, but I couldn't help it; I was just always so full.

I hear him sigh, so I look up at him.

"I w-will try, I am just full all the time." I say quietly, not wanting him to be disappointed in me. He looks up at me as I say that with a smile, something that I really appreciated.

"I have to go do some pack work; I'll be up in my office if you need me. I have my sister coming over later today to say hello. Just call if you need anything as well." I nod. "Anything. I will be in the house, so I can hear you." He seemed as though he wanted to say something more but he didn't so I guess I will never know.

Two arms wrap around my waist as I feel a head rest on my shoulder. He places a kiss on the base of my neck which results in sparks flying down my body. I shiver at his touch.

I did very much like his touch. It was pleasant and nice; but I couldn't help but feel as though he was messing with me, as though this wasn't real.

We stay like that for a few seconds, this being the most intimate we have ever been. It felt weird; but somewhat right.

And I don't know if I liked that.

I finish the dishes, enjoying looking out the window sill that sits above the sink that overlooks the small garden to the side of the house, and the beautifully dark forest behind.

Once I finish up there, I go to explore the house a little more. I walk past the stairs towards a set of doors I have never seen before. I place my hands on the brass nobs and twist. The door slowly creaks open to reveal darkness.

This is strange.

I put my hand on the inside wall in search for a light switch, feeling my heartbeat rise as anxiousness fills my stomach.

I don't like the dark very much.

I feel the flick for the light and flick it on and soon enough the place is lit up, calming me almost instantly. As light pours from the overhead lights I gasp at the sight before me.

The room is massive. It has book cases lining the walls with fluffed couches in the middle, that fluffy pillows and blankets draped over the arms having to be my favourite part.

A spiral stair case resides in the corner of the room, leading to the next level of the library, making me wonder how big this thing is. It was seeming to be double story. In the right corner of the room sits a coffee and tea machine, with little tea bags in a small glass vase. Perfect.

I approach the covered up windows and pull back the curtains to reveal a floor length window that overlooks a valley. There is a large chair next to the window that looks to be the perfect place to read. I step into the room and trail my fingers along the books.

I pull out a book the catches my attention, its cover being dark and metallic almost. I slot the book under my arm and bring the book to my preferred seat, which is the window seat, and place it down. I head over to the tea bag pile and boil some water, noting how many assortment of teas they have here.

I pick out the lemon and peach tea before adding boiling water to it. I throw the tea bag out after having stirred the mixture. I plop down in the chair and start to read, occasionally taking a sip of my tea. Soon I get lost in the pages, and captured in the relative easy read.

I had to read teen books, as sad as it sounded. I couldn't manage to read anything else as I couldn't articulate or understand it. I wanted to grow my vocabulary and I wanted to become smarter. The only way to do that was to keep reading, I figured anyway. I didn't tell Blake about this because he would be disappointed, so I kept it to myself.

I felt like a burden already. I didn't need to be more of one. 

I was brought out of my mind and book induced daze when the doorbell rung, the sound echoing the halls and somehow resonating in this large room.

I stand up from my position on the couch and walk out the door, turning right and heading towards the main entrance. I think it was this way, and soon I found out as I came to the large double door that marks the entrance to the foyer.

I smile as I make it to the door before Blake, but hesitate on the knob, thinking about the last time I was here. I take a shaky breath and open the door, smiling a bright fake smile. As I do open the door, I sense Blake's presence coming down the stairs behind me, which I found comforting more than anything.

The man that stands in the doorway looks exactly like me. Brown hair, soft yet bright green eyes that seemed tired. Not the normal tired, but the exhaustion that had gathered over years and years. He stares down at me, his lips partially parted, as if he is in shock.

I furrow my eyebrows at this but I don't say anything, freaked that his hair looked very similar to my own. His expression softens when he notices me take a small step back, slightly scared.

I bump into Blake's chest, one of his arms coming around my waist and holding me abdomen in a strong yet soft grip. He seemed to notice my anxiety levels rise, his fingers from his other hand softly stroking my arm soothingly.

"Alpha Spencer, what are you doing here? You're arrive wasn't scheduled for another two days, and we agreed to meet at my Packhouse." Blake states formally behind me. I could tell from the tone that he was rather annoyed at the sudden intrusion but couldn't disrespect the older looking Alpha.

(Blake's LAST NAME IS now AXTON. For those who have previously read, they would hopefully recall it was "Blake King", however it is now "Blake Axton." When two or more Alpha King's - the Alphas who rule over a large pack and a select domain - discuss among themselves, they refer to each other as Alpha's as it is easier for the formalities.)

"Alpha Axton, I came because I heard some news." He looks down at me suddenly and I don't know how to respond. "I wish to discuss this in private." The alpha in front of me continued.

His eyes were rather pretty. They looked like soft emeralds. I wish mine were that pretty as mine were just a boring green.

"And what might this news be?" I could hear the caution in Blake's voice. He didn't like that someone was spreading rumours about him, and I guess I was an embarrassment for him to be heard with.

"That you have finally found my daughter, Elena" He states boldly.

There was no way someone could recognise me like that. That quickly as well. It was less than a month since I left Alpha Jones, and even then, I was just staying with Blake.

I didn't have a family was my second point. I had been with Alpha Jones since I was twelve, my family abandoned me and left me with him. Didn't they? That is what they had told me. They had told me to be grateful because otherwise I would be dead. I did always think being dead was better than being there, but I had no choice.

When I think about it, I can remember some people from the time before I was twelve. Just a few – no names or anything, just a warm feeling when I see their faces in my mind. I start to hyperventilate as memories of my family start to flash through my mind.

Me laying on the grass in front of my families pack home, there was a male child, who looked a little older than me standing in front of me with a toy in his hand and talking to me softly. Except I can't hear his words, it is although I am underwater.

Another memory resurfaced. Two adults stand in front of my now, myself standing as well but I was barely at the height of their knees. I waddle over to them, crying for some unknown reason. The male bends down and coos at me with soft bright green eyes, reaching down to lift me up into his arms. I instantly calm in his arms, softly poking his checks with my index fingers as he laughs down at me with a soft smile. I look over to the mother, my mother, who laughs at me and softly rubs my cheeks.

I knew, if it wasn't for Blakes hold on me I would've collapsed against the floor as I semi-blacked out at the newly relieved suppression of memories.

I was beyond confused. I couldn't think, all I could do was think about the man who held me, who I went to when I was crying. The man who I obviously trusted as a little girl. The bright green eyes that showed me warmth when I was held within safe and loving arms.

The bright green eyes of the man who now stood in front of me.

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I think it is mediocre, but it is an updated. I know I haven't done one in a while and I really need to push myself to actually edit and reconstruct an entire book.

Hope you enjoyed it anyway.

QOTC:

What is your favourite book?

>>

Comment your thoughts! Let me know your observations and opinions, whether good or bad. I will reply and I won't (intend) to be feisty or rude!!!

>>

Any improvements you want to point out? COMMENT HERE.

Any future predictions? COMMENT HERE

Any punctuation, grammar spelling and wording problems? COMMENT on the sentence and I will fix it as soon as possible.

>>

Don't forget to Vote, Comment and Follow me for more!

<><>

Word Count: 5467

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

179K 4.9K 8
*Short Story* It is difficult to stay with the people who look down at you like you are some kind of disease. It hurts when they don't want to acknow...
15.8K 628 23
She had lived a life that wasn't her own. Every decision was made for her. At the end of the day though, she was still the one with the blood on her...
314K 12.7K 50
After becoming truly omnipotent he lost what was supposed to be his everything. His chosen. His beloved. Call it what you will, he lost a part of his...
1.5M 25.8K 24
[COMPLETED] As I was beginning to relax, a new terror coursed through my body at his next word, "Strip." "Ex-excuse me?" I blurted out. I wasn't get...