Secrets of a Southern Belle

By _haileyyk

Everyone has secrets that they keep. The town of Darling is full of them, and the townspeople will do anythin... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 2

2.5K 98 5
By _haileyyk

The way Rhett and Parker looked at me was engraved in my brain.  I couldn't stop thinking about what Parker gave Rhett, and how the rumors must be true; it had to be a drug deal.  From the look of their faces, they weren't expecting anyone to be watching them.  Usually, people avoided them like the plague.

Luckily, Rhett and the guys he hangs around don't go to the games, so I won't have to see them.  While thoughts raced in my head, I walked quietly next to my brother, not wanting to say anything about what I saw in the parking lot.

"I heard about you and Blake," Sawyer broke the silence that followed our leave from school.

"Okay."

"Rae, you can't be stirring up trouble with her. You know how her and her family are.  She could easily get you dropped from the debutante." He sighed and grabbed the straps from his backpack as he walked next to me.

"So let her.  I'm only doing this for Mama and Gigi.  I didn't do anything wrong.  She always starts it with me."

Sawyer shook his head and his lips formed straight line. "You are so difficult, you know that?"

I shrugged and changed the subject. "Why are you on your way home anyways?  You have a game in a few hours."

Sawyer combed his hand through his sandy blonde hair, making him look like our dad for a split second. "I forgot my uniform.  Mama washed it for me last night, and I didn't grab them when I left this morning."

"Coach Bedford is gonna be as mad as a box of frogs if you don't get back to that field," I teased, knowing it would rule him up.

"I know," he said with a hint of worry.  "Race ya home?"

A mischievous smile played on my lips as I shoved my brother and took off, causing a cloud of dirt in my wake.

"No fair, Rae!" I heard Sawyer complain before I heard the sound of footsteps catching up to me.

Hot air hit my body as I put all my energy into running.  Because of my little stunt, I was still ahead of my brother until we reached our house.  As I slowed down, Sawyer caught up with me and shoved me lightly, causing me to laugh.

"You are such a cheat, you know that?" Sawyer accused as we walked up the white steps onto the porch.

"Work smarter, not harder." I stuck out my tongue.

"Your sister is right.  It's that kind of thinking that gets you ahead," my grandma butted in.

She was sitting on the porch swing smoking a cigarette and knitting what looked like a blanket.  Her dyed, reddish brown hair was up in a messy bun, and her honey-brown eyes showed humor as she looked at us.  She's always been a witty, fun, wild lady.  Before my grandpa died, he used to tell us all kinds of stories about how she would get them in trouble by sneaking out to go to the creek or parties.  She's never acted her age according to my mom. She made me and Sawyer call her Gigi because she said that "grandma", "grams", and any other nickname made her sound old.

"Gigi, you always take her side!  She shoved me so she could get a head start," Sawyer argued, clearly annoyed.

"Oh, no I don't," she scoffed.  "How do I know you didn't deserve it?"

"I didn't do anything!"

Our attention moved to my mom when we heard the screen door slam.  She had a scolding look on her face, and by the way her head was tilting at me and my grandma, I knew that we were in trouble.

"Why do y'all have to pick on him all the time?"

Gigi and I shared an amused look, trying not to look my mom in the eye.  When we are together, we tend to get in all sorts of trouble.

"Sawyer, why aren't you at school getting ready for the game?" My mom then questioned my brother.

"I forgot my uniform."

My grandma teased, "Maybe you getting pushed was karma for forgetting your uniform."

I stifled a laugh and Sawyer had an irritated look on his face as he motioned towards Gigi. "See!"

"Mama!" My mom yelled at Gigi before addressing Sawyer.  "It's on your bed.  Hurry, before John has a fit."

With that, my brother hurried inside, but not before shooting us a glare.  The screen slammed behind him, leaving us alone.

"Rae, please stop pestering your brother.  I'm tired of hearing you guys fight, and Mama, why do you have to instigate it?" She sighed.  "A sixty year old woman shouldn't be tormenting a seventeen year old."

Gigi shot her a death glare and pointed a knitting needle at her. "Hey!  You wish that you will be as fun as I am when you're my age.  You're thirty six, for Christ's sake.  Have a little fun, Cat."

My mom put her hand to her forehead, covering her eyes and let out a frustrated sigh.  "I'm not doing this with you again," she stated, sternly.  "I'm gonna go get the banners ready for the game."

I waited for the sound of the door before I let out the laugh I was holding in.  Gigi joined in, making our laughter echo inside the porch.  I knew that they had to have heard us. I sat down on the swing and rested my head back.

"Are Savannah and Molly coming over?"

"Yeah, at four. I figured I'd shower before they got here," I said as I sat up and touched the material on my grandma's lap.

"You getting gussied up for that Bedford boy to notice you?" My grandma asked with a twinkle in her brown eyes.

"Gigi!" I squealed as my eyes widened. "I do not like Wesley."

"Sweetie, I see how you look at him when he goes for his morning jog past here every day. I'll tell ya, he's a looker that boy."

"I don't like Wesley," I lied. "Even if I did, I couldn't be with him. He's with Blake Lawson."

"I know when you are lying, Rae."  She narrowed her eyes at me. "That girl may be pretty as a peach, but she's meaner than a wet panther. Her and that uppity family can go to hell for all I care. That poor boy probably doesn't have a choice being with her. You should give him one."  My grandma rested her hand on my knee and gave me a reassuring smile.

I exhaled loudly. "Thanks, Gigi. I should probably get in the shower before they show up."  I gave her a kiss on her temple when I stood.

"No problem, sweetie," My grandma called out to me while I was stepping inside.  "Remember, you can't hide anything from me.  Your Gigi knows everything there is to know 'round here."

I shake my head and make my way to the bathroom. After my shower and straightening my hair, I find Savannah and Molly putting make-up on in my room. Just as Molly finishes her eyeliner, she notices my presence. Savannah was too busy rummaging in my closet to notice me.

"Oh, hey," Molly greeted me and pointed behind her. "Savannah is trying to find an outfit for me."

"Hey, Rae!" Savannah's yell was muffled by the doors of my closet.

"Hey," I replied. "Are you guys almost ready?  I just have to get dressed and finish my make-up."

"Yup! Molly just has to put on her outfit I picked out for Austin."  Savannah let out a small giggle after mentioning his name.

Molly glared at Savannah through the mirror, and her red lips formed a scowl. Savannah gave Molly a cheesy smile and threw a nice shirt and shorts at her, knowing a dress was out of the question.

"I hate you, Vannah. You watch. When you have a crush, I'm gonna embarrass you so bad that you are gonna wish you never messed with me."

"Oh, you love me, and that threat ain't gonna do nothing, so put on that dress on so we can get going."  Savannah smirked and her straight, brown hair flowed around her shoulders as she turned to the closet and grabbed a cream colored dress for herself.

Molly rolled her eyes and did as she was told while I put on a tank top and shorts. I watched Molly run her hands through her curly, brown hair. My attention was then on Savannah, who was looking at Molly with pride as she put another coat of red lipstick on. She has always loved to play matchmaker, but never for herself. Molly's threat towards Savannah about embarrassing her stuck with me. 

Whenever we talk about boys, she tries to change the subject. She doesn't think we notice, but I do. She doesn't know that I see the nervousness behind her brown eyes that she tries so hard to conceal. Savannah has a secret, and it must be big if she is keeping it from her best friends.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.2K 921 68
She was breaking, he was broken. She was misinterpreted, he was recognised. She was a nobody, he was everybody. But then there was Him. The boy with...
219K 11.8K 51
A genetically unique but emotionally lost teenager must figure out who she is within her mixed-up, warring world of Shifters and Wolfstalkers. ...
34M 928K 63
Seventeen-year-old Scarlett Hayes is living her life by her own rules. Losing her parents at a young age has made her strong and fiercely independent...
153K 6.9K 30
They took me. And they told me secrets. Secrets I didn't want to believe. Secrets that would change my life. They said I was one of them and I could...