See For Me [Editing slowly]

By WandererAtHeart

Eden has been through more than most, and she's ready to start on her own . . . but not quite yet. With only... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23 Final Chapter

Chapter 4

1.5K 40 10
By WandererAtHeart

A/N: This was originally part two of the third chapter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was so long I felt bad. Thus this is the new chapter 4 :)

remember to vote and comment!! I'll give you cookies and cake :D

_______________________________

I had known already that the consequences of saying that with the intent to hurt was not a good idea and I thought I fully understood that. I realized I hadn't been scared enough when I felt the air around him tremor violently and heard the telltale cracks and pops of a shift. I could hear the ugly tear of his clothing as his body suddenly didn't fit the form of the fabric. I hadn't been nearly scared enough and now I severely regretted everything that had been said in the last ten minutes. I shouldn't have been trying to prove my worth and spine, because that's all it was, this insane urge to prove myself to him, to prove that I wasn't going to be stepped on and played with. I took a shaky step back away from the bank. I should have stood up the moment I realized he was there and grabbed my clothes and left. Now I was stuck with a very angry wolf and I couldn't do anything about it. I couldn't even shift and face off with him.

When I heard splashing that told me Caleb was entering the stream I lost control of whatever remote part of me was still trying to school my features. I could feel my eyes go wide and didn't even spare a thought to the risk of losing my prosthetics. My heart was pounding on my ribcage, almost as though pleading with it to open up and let it save itself, screw the rest of me. And I was feeling pretty screwed.

For the first time in years I tried accessing my wolf. I begged her to wake up, to come back, to save me. I heard the beast come closer to me and my calves bumped up against the opposite bank. I scrambled up onto and stayed in a crouched position. I felt a small ripple go through my body and I momentarily thought it was my wolf before realizing it was simply fear that wracked my body. My pulse was distracting me, taking away my sense of sound. Stupid! I berated myself, she hasn't responded in years! Why would she start now, because you're in mortal danger? Oh the irony! She's never there when you need her! Get over it! I screamed at myself. The only way I could fight this battle was a human and I stood no chance if it got physical.

I could only think of one way to calm Caleb. He was wading across the stream slowly, calculatingly. He was stalking me, his prey.

"Calm down, I was screwing with you. I was just trying to make you mad," I said. I tried to sound calm and reasonable but my voice shook with fear.

Caleb growled and I took that to mean this wasn't working. I tried again.

"Really, you don't want to do this. What is the pack going to say when you come back bloody and some poor sap finds my dead body washed up on the side of the stream?" I asked, pleading him to see reason but all I got in response was a snort that said at the moment he couldn't care less. That didn't bode well for me.

My back scraped against the rough bark of a pine tree and I skirted around it, hearing Caleb exit the stream and shake his fur out. His footsteps were near silent on the pine needle covered floor but I strained my ears to hear over my heartbeat and pay attention more than I ever had in my life.

I couldn't think of anything to say that could possibly placate Caleb and was losing hope as I tripped over rocks and exposed branches. My heel caught a particularly exposed one and I fell backwards. I didn't waste any time and scrambled backwards on all fours. I didn't dare turn my back. He was a predator and they liked the chase. Showing him my back would come off as arrogant or as prey and either one would be foolish.

He was getting closer and an idea came to me as I stood once more.

"Please, Alpha, I apologize, I was wrong. Nothing I said was true." I bowed my head. My pride felt like I had shredded it and I felt extremely vulnerable and like a liar. Still, playing up his pride was a good chance to save my butt, even if it did mean mine took a severe hit. It was still better than being Caleb's new kibble.

The growling ceased and I kept my head bowed. I held my breath as Caleb kept stalking toward me. Each footfall had my heart stutter dangerously.

I heard a rough exhale in front of me and knew he had stopped. He was taller than a wild wolf but he was still a foot shorter than my five foot four frame. I lowered myself in front of him, biting my lip to keep my hurt pride at bay from reestablishing my now ruined reputation.

The harsh noises had stopped but he was pacing me, circling me. He occasionally neared to sniff me.  At one point he nibbled the top of my ear and I had to restrain myself from letting out a low growl. Alpha, alpha heir, I don't care what he is, he had no right to treat me like that but without my wolf I let it go. I couldn't risk starting another fight.

That is, until he started getting fresh with me. Nibbling my ear is one thing but licking just below my collarbone and just above my breast is another. I smacked his nose. He growled at me and I glared at him. I wiped off where he licked and tried calming my heart down. It was beating with a vengeance, filled with anger at his audacity. The fear was long gone once more when it probably should have stayed a while longer because if he tried something like that again we were going to have to go through this entire ordeal again.

I was surprised when I heard a wolfish chuckle. Caleb circled once more before settling next to where I was kneeling and resting his head on my lap. I glared at his head but held my tongue.

After ten minutes of sitting there and finally resigned myself to the fact that Caleb wasn't planning to move any time soon, especially if his low snoring was anything to go by. I absently started petting his head. His fur was smooth and soft. It was truly soft enough for me to wish that my bed was made of it. If it was anyone else I would have voiced that opinion but considering how much I had stroked Caleb's pride today I dreaded him ever finding out.

I was starting to lose feeling in my legs so I shifted so they weren't under me but still tucked in. I continued stroking his fur mindlessly and daydreamed. We were situated under a break in the canopy and sun filtered down. I tilted my head up and closed my eyes to let it warm my face. To acclimate himself to my shift, Caleb rolled a bit so he was on his side, legs away from me, and continued snoring peacefully.

I took a deep breath to remember the tranquility of the moment, knowing that this is probably the only time it will ever happen with Caleb. I paused, confusion transforming my features. The forest felt like pine and rich damp earth. What I couldn't understand was my inability to smell Caleb. I leaned down, trying to sniff him and still couldn't grasp his scent. I tried taking a few loose hairs from his coat and realized they smelled like pine and earth. He smelled exactly like this forest.

Comforted with the fact that, no, my nose was not dysfunctional, I let the pace overtake me and drifted into sleep.

When I woke up the light was fading and it was cooler out. My eyes were still sleepy but I realized Caleb's head was still on my lap but he had transformed into his human shape. Sensing my stirring, Caleb rolled onto his back and was probably looking up at me.

"You done sniffing me you pervert?" he asked in mock offense.

I didn't even bother to deny it and told him flat out, "You smell like dirt," rather groggily. This was me when I first woke up: painfully blunt.

"Now I know you could have said that more eloquently," he said condescendingly.

"And I know you could use a shower," I responded, my voice flat. Before he could hand out a comeback I shoved him of my legs and staggered to an upright position like a newborn fawn. Pins and needles were surging through my right leg and I grimaced as I tried to move it. I settled for waiting and wiping off whatever pine needles had gotten stuck to me.

I heard a chuckle and looked behind me at Caleb. "What?"

"You have pine needle imprints all over your leg!" he laughed.

"Hurts like a bitch too. Lead me back to the pack house," I ordered.

"Why should I take your orders?"

"Because if you don't bring me back I'm going to be dead in the woods," I stated simply. I heard a labored sigh and he grabbed my wrist and pulled me forward. I stumbled a bit at the suddenness but caught up quickly and carefully picked my way across the landscape.

As we walked I could feel the calluses on his hands on my smooth ones and missed the days I had had them too. All active wolves have them from running on the forest floor. All wolves, that is, except me.

I noticed the sun was swooping low and barely any light was touching my skin. The nights were still cool so I shivered a bit.

"What time is it?" I wondered aloud. I heard some rustling as Caleb probably checked his phone.

"Eight at night."

"We were out for a long time," I said amazed. We missed two meals and now that I realized it, my stomach started up with the familiar stabbing sensations. I pressed my free hand against my abdomen. As I rubbed it I noticed I wasn't wearing clothes and stopped walking. At the same time, I realized he was wearing even less considering all of his were in tatters. This sudden knowledge made me hyper aware of him and I ducked my head to hide my blush. Just because I couldn't see it didn't mean it didn't bother me.

"What now?" Caleb growled.

"I'm not going in there without clothes Caleb," I said. It was the first time I had ever actually said his name and I begrudgingly admitted that it rolled off my tongue with some ease.

"Why not?"

"Because I'm not going to look like your little slut! Listen, just go in there and get some clothes from Gypsy, okay? Please?" I added at the end. And I would look like a slut if we walked in together.

"Why should I, it's not like there's any benefit for me."

"There's no benefit for you now either," I argued.

"Sure there is, it looks like I got some action."

I tore my wrist from his grip and rubbed the warm spot, trying to rub away the feeling of his touch. "You know what? I'll take care of it myself."

I marched on and slowed to cross the creek. I tried remembering how I had gotten here and it was a pretty straight path. I followed my ears again to the sound of chatter emanating from the pack house. I reached the outskirts of the forest and sharpened my ears. How was I going to do this? I slapped my hand over my face and let gravity drag it over my features.

Why did it have to be Caleb who found me? Why couldn't it have been Gypsy?

Wait, come to think of it, what was Caleb doing in the woods? He said he had been around since I first got there. Was he stalking me? Why would he do that though? Maybe he was secretly worried about me, I mean I am blind? Okay, time to stop. With thoughts like that my ego will inflate and I would definitely fall under the category of delusional.

I refocused on my surroundings and didn't hear anybody outside. Of course that didn't mean people weren't looking out of the windows but it made me feel better.

I sprinted toward the noise and crouched next to the paneled wall. Now it's time to avoid the noise. I rounded the house nearly crawling in an effort to avoid windows. I came across a wooden door and listened closely. It was silent on the inside. I twisted the knob and gently pushed it in. When I entered I realized someone was sleeping. I heard their heavy breathing and prayed they were they type to not wake up even when a bomb detonates by their ear.

I went to the wall opposite the sleeping person and found the dresser. I opened the drawers carefully and picked out items of clothing. I blushed when my hand brushed what I discovered to be boxers. I was too preoccupied with my raging blush to notice the person sleeping sit up in their bed.

"I'm normally a heavy sleeper but the one thing that will always wake me up is when someone is going through my stuff," he said. The voice was familiar and I ignored his rambling while I tried to place it.

"SURPRISE!" I exclaimed with a grin. I knew I knew the voice. It was the guy who had screamed surprise right in my face.

"What?" he asked highly confused.

"You're the guy who screamed surprise really loudly in my face when I went to knock on the door!" I explained, a giddy smile on my face at placing the voice.

"Yeah, sorry about that. We had decided to throw Caleb a surprise twentieth birthday bash," he explained. He sounded a bit embarrassed and the temperature in the room increased by the smallest increment because of his blush.

"It's okay. You didn't know. But next time you should check the spy hole first," I teased. "Anyway, can I borrow some clothes?" I asked and held the shirt I had clutched in my hand in front of me.

"I guess. Why aren't you wearing any?"

I got angry just at the thought of the experience with Caleb so I told him I went for a swim and couldn't find my clothes after.

He snorted and I heard him recline on his bed. "You stink like Caleb."

"I told him he needed a shower. Anyway he was stalking me and perving on me," I growled. The annoying ass. "I'm just lucky I'm not wearing white." I shuddered to think of the embarrassment that would have come from that.

"But you are," the guy said.

"Stop screwing with me."

"I'm not, I'm dead serious. You are wearing white. Would you like me to call Caleb and confirm?" he asked seriously. I growled my frustration and quickly ripped this guy's shirt over my head and tripped into his shorts.

"What's your name?" I ground out through clenched teeth.

"Blake, future Beta at your service," he said proudly.

"I like how you slipped that in there, very humble," I mock complimented him. He seemed to take it anyway before telling me to scram. After I told him I had no idea where he was he finally got off of his bed and led me to Gypsy's room.

"Thanks Blake. If you wait a couple seconds you can have your clothes back," I told him and rushed into the room. From outside I heard Gypsy arrive and ask Blake what he was doing.

"Why does she need clothes?" I heard her ask dangerously through the sound of fabric as it slid over my body.  I changed clothes quickly and returned to the door when I heard Gypsy's incredulous, "Oh! So she just happened to need clothes, and she just happened to find solace in your room!"

I cracked the door open, hoping to avoid whatever this was.

"Thanks Blake, and tell Caleb he owes me a new outfit of my choosing," I said sternly.

"What's this have to do with Caleb?" Gypsy questioned, now totally confused if her voice was anything to go by.

"I'll explain when you come in," I said and closed the door to let the finish their discussion. My intuition told me Gypsy was jealous. I'd never really experienced the feeling in reference to a relationship. I idly wondered what it felt like.

The door slammed open and made me jump from where I was seated on the floor and crouch.

"Everything okay Gyps?" I asked cautiously, not really in the mood for another furry explosion. One was enough thank you very much!

"No it is not okay!" she huffed. She began pacing and I heard her make one of those frustrated growls where your teeth and clenched and it starts low before becoming this high pitched squeal.

"Gyps calm down," I said gently, bringing her attention away from whatever she had stewing in her head.

"I told Caleb to follow your scent and text me when he found you and he never texted me," she began with a low growl. "I was worried that something might have happened to you, that you got lost or something ate you or … I don't know! Then all of a sudden seven hours later you come in wearing Blake's clothes and none of your own and he's leading you by the hand and Caleb never said he saw you and… and! Ugh! I went from thinking you died to thinking you slept with Blake! And he tells me it's not like that and I know what he's like with girls," he said, lowering her voice again. "I just don't know what to think!"

"It's nothing like that," I said and explained what happened in the woods with strategic editing. Saying I was in the stream for the seven hours until Caleb threw my clothes in and I came back clothes-less and angry and the first door I could find was Blake's and it was all Caleb's fault.

"Oh he's going to get it," she proclaimed. "And he will be buying you that new outfit."

I nodded and asked her to bring me to the kitchen for a snack. We returned to her room armed with a full pack of Oreos along with a carton of milk. Gypsy helped me finish unpacking my bad, groaning when she saw the sparseness of my wardrobe.

"What's all this?" Gypsy asked me. Her curiosity was barely contained as she rummaged.

I gave her an expectant smirk, "I can't really see it," I pointed out.

"Oh, sorry! It's your toiletries bag, there are strange bottles containing strange fluids," she said with mock spookiness.

I laughed at her and explained it was for my prosthetics and excused myself to go clean them, letting her know that she nor anybody else really wanted want to see it when she asked.

I stepped into the bathroom and Gypsy told me I could share her space, the sink right to the right of the door. I opened the cabinet above the sink and put my bag in. I took one contact out and felt for the sticker that indicated my cleaning supplies. I cleaned it, rinsed it, and put it back in to take the other out when I heard something at the door.

I pulled out my other eye, wow that was a funny sounding statement, anyway, and turned on the faucet.

As the water started to flow out I thought I heard footsteps outside the door and froze. After a moment I decided it was probably just Gypsy so kept fiddling with the temperature until it was lukewarm. As I reached for the mild soap and cleansing fluid the door knob twisted and I frantically dropped the cleansers and my eye.

I heard laughter on the other side of the door. Gypsy was speaking frantically, loudly, probably trying to distract whoever was with her. I had one hand clapped over my eye socket and my other was fumbling over the counter top, sink and floor, praying dearly that I didn't step on it and that it didn't go down the drain.

Because that would just be the icing on my cake, you know? Or maybe the candle.

The door creaked open more and I could hear Blake's voice from inside complaining that he really needed to go as much as he would love to see Gypsy belly dance for him. I almost laughed, and let me tell you I was tempted.

But of course I knew he had made it in when I heard Gypsy exclaim "no!" and Blake shout: "Holy shit!" and scurry his butt right out.

"Lovely," I muttered from my crouched position on the floor. "Hey Gypsy, you don't think Blake saw my eye by any chance do you?"

"What?"

"My eye, can you see it?" I asked hopefully.

"Sorry Hun, I'm trying to keep Blake in there so he doesn't get any ideas," she said tightly. It sounded like she was straining herself.

"Jesus, you hulk open the door!" Blake shouted from the inside.

"Never!" she shouted dramatically and I think she released her hold on the knob, letting it fly backward and bashing him on the head because I heard a really loud whack, a groan, and a thud. There was also a waft of blood hanging in the air.

"Is he okay?" I asked.

"Oh him? He's fine," she said through her giggles. I'm scared for their relationship.

"That's wonderful, but he's bleeding probably. I'll help as soon, as you help me find my eye." I heard Gypsy hesitating by her doorway and decided to reassure her, "By the sound of that door hitting his head, he's not going anywhere for a while so come here and help me will you?"

"Okay."

"Thank you," I said with a sigh and stood up.

"Oh, is this it?"

"I don't know, I can't really see it."

"Right! Sorry, anyway, I think it is. But it definitely needs to be cleaned," she told me.

I stretched out my hand, "Alright, hand it over." When it was in my hand I quickly cleaned it out and patted it dry before popping it back in.

"Am I crooked?" I asked her jokingly, but in complete seriousness she replied, "I think your left one is a bit lazy."

"Is it really?" I asked, ready to fiddle it into position. It felt fine.

"No I'm just joking with you," she assured me, grabbing my hand to lead me over Blake's unconscious body.

"Fine you jokester just make sure your boyfriend isn't dead over there."

"Oh he'll be fine. Something like that will barely leave a mark."

"So he is your boyfriend?"

"If was less of an ass maybe," she sighed wistfully. I contemplated her. She obviously liked him if she got jealous, and he was really trying to clear up the misunderstanding. They should just clear the air already. Maybe I could do it for them.

Still I had to tease her, "Yes, because everyone wants to date a girl who bangs there head in with doors."

"Hey, people come in all different types," she said as she led me into our room. "Hey," she turned to me, her voice just the teensiest bit closer, "do you want to go to the mall with me tomorrow? We could get you some new clothes and have Caleb buy you that outfit he owes," she suggested. I mulled it over. Considering I couldn't actually see the clothes I always let Heather shop for me. I had never actually been to a mall since I was probably nine. It was almost nostalgic.

"Yeah, okay let's go."

Gypsy left to go inform Caleb that he had plans tomorrow. I hoped he had to suffer terrible embarrassment by entering in the nude. While she was out I sat on my bed and pulled my laptop onto my legs. I tapped the hard surface with my long nails and considered ooVoo-ing Heather, Keagan, and Johnny, my adoptive siblings. That's in the legal sense, not the "oh you’re my absolute best friend let's be siblings!" sense. I missed them. They were my second family.

My thoughts were interrupted when Gypsy bound into the room.

"Caleb's coming! Chop chop! Time to get our beauty sleep! The mall is a place of hottie humans and we are going to reap the benefits!" she declared. "Oh yeah! And Caleb told me he found this," something landed next to me and I fingered the surface. It was my cane. I had forgotten all about it.

"We are?" I asked, referring to the "hottie humans"

"Oh yeah," she snickered sinisterly. I had a feeling this had more to do with Blake's habit with women than her interest in humans.

"Okay, I'm going to bed then," I told her and snuggled under my blankets, mentally penciling in a time to call up the sibs and have a chat. Heather was going to have a royal fit when she found out I wasn't in the orphanage and I was worried about Johnny in his orphanage. And Keagan, I had to hope Keagan was still focused somewhat on college. With these thoughts swirling around in my brain I wasn't too concerned about my, oh so exciting and possibly colorful and hottie filled day with a broody conceited asshole. And for once, that wasn't sarcastic.

_________________________________

A/N: Hope you enjoyed and will tell me what you think!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.7K 418 29
*****GIRLXGIRL***** Lea feels a connection to wolves. One wolf in particular. The one wolf with grey eyes that could be found in the woods behind her...
160K 4.7K 34
Being the daughter of the moon goddess and an angel is stuff but being in danger all the time is stuffer, when my house is attacked both my parents a...
566 7 31
When Rox's father left she had no idea why, or what she had done at the age of 5 for him to not care. After her new neighbors moved in next door her...
400 44 35
Four years. It's been four years since Mason has disappeared. Four years that Alaina has led their pack. Four years of raising their daughter. Four y...