Frost on the Green (The Green...

By CatMint5

After getting shot during a burglary some months ago, Alissa Clover Green is on her way to full recovery. She... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Last A/N to Frost on the Green - What's to come?

Chapter 27

4.4K 162 26
By CatMint5

A/N: I posted a new one-shot this Monday. It is called A Letter to a Lost Lover and is only one page long. Check it out?

The link to it is in the first comment and you can see the cover in the multimedia section to this chapter of Frost on the Green.

*****

Alice’s POV

“White lavender,” the young woman mused. “Didn’t even know existed. I thought it was all well, the color lavender.”

“Not really. There are several varieties of the plant. Whichever you choose to use, it would be a fine addition to your garden plus you can dry it and use it later.”

“I’ll have to google how to do that; I’ve never dried any plants before,” she mentioned, furrowing her brown eyebrows.

“It’s not difficult,” I commented. “You should begin harvesting the lavender just prior to the flower buds fully opening butavoid mornings when there’s dew on the plants. You can cut the stems, leaving them long and then joining them into a bundle to hang upside down. Just don’t make the bundle too thick or the plants in the middle won’t be able to dry. Place them somewhere with little to no humidity and away from direct sunlight. That’s pretty much it.”

“Okay, you’ve convinces me; I’ll buy some lavender seeds. I think I’ll try the white variety.”

“Great! I’ll just go get some for you…”

“Actually, I’ll attend to the lady, Alice; your visitors have arrived,” Marjolaine said, showing our client to one of the seeds-packed counters in Odell’s Herbs & Spices store.

I turned around and there they were; Skyler, Beth and her older version - Mrs. Miller. They were all smiling at me. I couldn’t help my lips curl up as I went to hug the twins’ mother.

“Hi, Catherine,” I greeted the short blonde woman.

“Hello, sweetheart. You look… happy,” she concluded. “This job really agrees with you, doesn’t it?”

“It’s one of the best things that have happened to me since…”

… The shooting…

“Since we moved here,” I replaced what I originally meant to say but by the flash of concern in her blue eyes I knew she’d guessed what was behind the pause in my words.

“And she seems to be turning into a heck of a saleswoman,” my boss stated, giving me a sideways hug. “That was one happy client,” she added, pointing with her chin to the door from which the young woman had left with her lavender seeds.

“Catherine, this is my employer and owner of Odell’s Herbs & Spices - Miss Marjolaine Odell; Margie, this is Catherine Miller – Beth and Sky’s mom,” I introduced the two.

“I could tell,” the old woman said, extending her wrinkled hand to shake Catherine’s delicate one. “The twins look just like you.”

“Except that they are tall; they got that from their daddy.”

“Your shift is over, Alice, so you can go with your friends now,” Margie smiled.

“Just a second; there’s something I want to suggest to you,” I started enthusiastically.

“Oh, what’s that?” She asked.

“The idea came to me from our last client. When I told her that once the lavender grows, she could dry it to use later, she said she didn’t know how to and she had to google the process. That’s when I realized: we don’t have a site; not even a facebook page. I think we should make one. It will be a way to advertize and we could get more people interested in gardening by offering them tips online. I can register us to facebook; it’s really easy and will take only a couple of minutes. Then we can start working on what content we should upload. There must be a list of what we supply and where and when clients could find us of course, and tips on gardening as I’ve already mentioned, also how to dry herbs or extract essential oils and we must include pictures, because the page will look better that way.”

“Well, well, well! Not only a good saleswoman; I might make you into a manager,” Margie laughed. “Or at least give you a raise; that’s a brilliant idea, Alice.”

“You really think so?” I asked excited and started to mentally enlist what else the facebook page could show.

“Yes, I do. We’ll talk more about it tomorrow, okay?”

“Sure.” I turned my attention back to the Millers. “And now I’m ready for coffee.”

“Oh, I know where we should go,” Sky exclaimed. “Just follow me.”

“He knows his way around Aberville now, right?” I heard Catherine ask her daughter just as we exited the herb store. “You know how your brother is with directions and I don’t want to end up lost.”

“Nah, I think I know where he’s taking us; it’s one of his new favorite places,” Beth noted, and she and her mom did an identical flip of their hair to tug it behind their ears.

I giggled. The two of them not only looked but also acted so much alike; it was like my best friend had another twin except that Catherine looked older of course.

“Why are you three toiling?” Skyler, who was ahead of us, asked. “Come on, this way.”

We followed him, discussing how we all were and what we’d been up to lately. Catherine told her that her husband – Joseph, was busy with work and that was why he couldn’t come to Aberville with her. She then went on to entertain us with stories about Star, Thunder and Lightning – the horses belonging to me, Skyler and Beth.

“Gosh, I miss Star so much,” I said. “I have not ridden her in months.”

“Maybe you could spare a weekend and come over?” Catherine suggested. “Ash has already taken a few riding lessons from Beth but I’d like to see your Caden and Keegan trying to get on a horse. I bet it will be fun to watch.”

“Here we are,” Sky announced, holding the door open for us.

We walked in and I inhaled deeply, enjoying the smell of coffee; even though I preferred tea, I found that aroma very invigorating.

“The usual table?” A guy in his twenties asked.

“Yep,” the male twin replied, leading us to a table by the window.

“I’ll be with you in a sec,” the waiter shouted after us.

“You must come here often,” Catherine commented, sitting next to her son; Beth and I took the chairs opposite them.

“Oh, yeah, they serve Keegan’s favorite hazelnut coffee here so the two of us are regulars,” Sky noted.

“And where’s that hottie of a roommate of yours today,” the waiter questioned, as he approached our table.

“He’s working so you’ll have to be satisfied with just me, Josh” the other boy replied.

“Well, send him my love and give him a kiss from me, will ya?” Our server pleaded.

“Oh, he’ll be thrilled,” Sky grinned mischievously.

“So what can I get you?”

“The same as always,” the male twin was first to reply.

“That’s one hazelnut coffee. And the ladies?”

“I’ll have the same,” Beth and her mother ordered at the same time.

“And I want so green tea,” I added.

“Three hazelnut coffees and one green tea. Got it,” the perky waiter turned on his heel and headed to the bar.

“Is he really gay or does he act like that to make Keegan uncomfortable,” Bethany inquired as soon as Josh was out of earshot.

“He’s gay. He’s not serious when he flirts with us though; he’s already got a boyfriend,” her brother explained. “He likes to tease Kee ‘cause he’s a bit homophobic even though he doesn’t want to admit it. That’s why I sometimes play along; it’s fun watching him try to pretend he’s open minded and not bothered.”

“Here are your drinks.” The waiter was back with a tray and four cups. “My shift is over so you can pay me now or give the money to one of the waitresses.”

“We’ll pay now. And it’s my treat,” Sky added, pulling a few bills out of his wallet.

“Just don’t write your phone number on those or both our boyfriends would be jealous,” Josh winked. “On the other hand, I like my boy when he’s jealous so maybe you should write your number.”

“But I already gave it to you, remember?” Sky noted.

“Oh, yeah…”

Josh took the money and waved us goodbye.

“‘Both our boyfriend would be jealous?’” Catherine asked.

“Josh always says that Kee and I would make a cute couple,” Skyler shrugged and took a sip of his coffee. “Mmm, nommy.”

“Look at my girls; they are both so pretty,” his mother smiled, as she gazed over the table at me and Beth. It wasn’t the first time she called me ‘her girl’ but each time she did, my heart leaped with joy and sorrow; her tone showed motherly affection but it wasn’t my mother who used it.

“What about me?” Sky resented.

“You are also pretty,” his mom conceded, patting his head.

“Keegan thinks guys shouldn’t be pretty; they should be rugged and handsome. Did I tell you I cooked for him?”

“Yes, Sky, you did,” Catherine replied.

“And that I also did laundry?”

“Yes, you did.”

“And that I…”

“Wash the dishes and know how to use a vacuum cleaner; yes, sweetie, you did,” Catherine answered, taking a sip of her beverage. “You’ve turned in quite a nice housewife.”

“Houseman, mom; I’m a guy.”

“I kind of know that. I gave birth to you, remember?” She nudged him with her elbow.

“Besides, I’m not the only one doing chores; Kee pitches in as well,” Sky went on.

“I’m so glad you are living with that boy,” his mom commented. “It’s good to know that there’s someone to keep an eye on you now that Alice is busy with Caden and Beth with Asher…”

“Asher the two-faced liar,” Bethany murmured angrily and crossed her hands.

“You don’t mean that, honey,” her mom noted confidently.

“On the contrary; I do,” my friend continued with a pout. “He lied to me, mom; he lied to my face,” she pointed at herself. “Right at this beautiful, model-like face.”

“Yeah, but he only did it to spare your feelings,” I butted in.

Beth’s lip quivered.

“I know that!” She shouted, making the costumers at a nearby table glare at her. She ignored them and continued to speak loudly: “And that’s the worse part. It’s the worst because it made me forgive him and I don’t wanna forgive him because I don’t want him to think it’s okay to lie to me, but I can’t stay mad at him because he did it for me - he even ate that soup - and I want to tell him that I’ve forgiven him, but then I think again about how lying is bad and…”

“Okay, okay, just take a breath!” Her mother interrupted the rant and Beth followed her advice. “Now pick up that phone and call him to tell him all this. Just don’t scream at the boy and make sure you actually make pauses between the words, will you honey?”

*****

Caden’s POV

“Hey, Cade, do you mind finishing these for me?” Asher asked, pointing at the bean cans he’d been arranging. “Beth’s calling and we are kind of fighting at the moment…”

“Yeah, yeah, go sort things out with her,” I waved him off and picked a few cans to place on the shelves.

“Thanks,” he patted my back once and ran outside, clicking on his mobile in the process.

“Oy, you,” a throaty growl came from behind me. “Where do ya keep the beef?”

I took a deep breath before I turned to the owner of the voice; something told me I would not enjoy dealing with this client.

“Walk to the end of these shelves, turn right then straight ahead is the refrigerated area; that’s where we keep all meat,” I explained, hoping that he’d follow the directions and leave me to my work.

Instead, the man – in his late forties perhaps – looked at me with first surprised then amused expression.

I furrowed me eyebrows.

Have I seen him before?

The tanned face was familiar but not from the store; I was sure this was the first time he’s been shopping here.

“Thanks, kid,” he said, trying to hide a grin and walked away.

I went back to stocking the shelves but I couldn’t help look at the direction the man headed in. I could not remember where or when I’d met him and made me worried.

Maybe it’s just my imagination; maybe I think I’ve seen him before because of the way he was looking at me. Could be nothing; there were a lot of weirdoes costumers around here…

“Daydreaming on the job, are we?”

I turned to see one such costumer – an old lady with a long brown skirt whose newest hobby was making me bend down to pick things for her then making comments about my physique and mostly about my “nice ass”.

“At least bring this old woman some happiness and tell me you were daydreaming of me,” she went on with a flirty – at least I imagine she thought that was what it was – wink.

I heard someone snicker.

Since when had Keegan been standing near me?

“Oh, how I’d like to be in your dreams also,” the old woman smirked at him and I barely contained my laugh, seeing his frightened face. “This store is my favorite now because of employees like you two. So long, hotties!”

She sent us each an air kiss and headed for the exit.

“Dude, keep your weird fan to yourself and away from me,” my friend insisted. “She’s just so… Old… And creepy. What she says is gross!”

“Yeah, it’s pretty…” I trailed off, not finding the right word. “How long have you been standing here?”

“A couple of minutes. Why?”

“Did you see a guy? Kind of burly, tanned and with a throaty voice?”

“No. Why?” He asked again.

“It’s just… I think I’ve seen him somewhere,” I replied, and went back to putting the bean cans on the shelves.

“So? He’s a costumer, right?” Kee took a few cans and began helping me restock.

“Yeah, but I think I’ve seen him somewhere else.”

“Where?”

“I don’t know,” I muttered. “And that’s what bothers me.”

*****

A/N: So Alice might get a raise. I hope Caden doesn’t go back to his ‘I must be the bacon bringer’ moody state. Although that might be the least of his worries now. I wonder if I’ll receive more of the ‘get Kee and Sky together’ comments now that the focus is on Caden and potential trouble…

Anyway, I hope you’ve enjoyed this chapter enough to vote on it. And don’t forget to follow me so that you’ll be notified when I update next.

xo,

CatMint5

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.6K 564 63
There are few things that humble Allie Carson. As a senior, she is a central part of the popular crowd and can have any guy she wants - and she knows...
56.5K 2.5K 34
This story is the sequel to 'Her Saving Grace'. In order to understand fully and not be confused, please read 'Her Saving Grace' first. ****** Kayla...
3.6K 362 66
(completed) #eroticromance #teenromance ⚠️ WARNING ⚠️ This story contains sexuality, violence, strong language and other mature themes. ...
1.8K 401 40
" I think rainbows are like humans. A person is like a white light, made up of different things, versions of themselves, mistakes, hardships, Just li...