Apartment No.4

By shortycharlotte

#1 Teen Fiction - 25.04.18 {Completed} "No one has ever spoken to me like that." "And why is that? Because yo... More

Introduction
Part 1: Moving In
Part 2: Rough With Words
Part 3: Frustrations
Part 4: Goody Two Shoes
Part 5: Ditch Woman
Part 6: Wicked Mates and Bad Boy Dates
Part 7: Stanley, is that you?
Part 8: Comedy gone Horror
Part 9: Just Friends?
Part 10: Well, You're New.
Part 11: Keys and Kisses
Part 12: Dark Shadows
Part 13: Morning Outings
Part 14: Vulnerable State of Mind
Part 15: Words
Part 16: Invitations
Part 17: Masquerade Hell
Part 18: A Whole New Person
Part 19: Drunken Accidents
Part 20: Headaches with no Hangovers
Part 21: Awkward Kissing
Part 22: Splotchy Purple Mark
Part 23: You're giving me a Heartattack
Part 24: Macy
Part 25: Claire Murphy
Part 26: Returning Home
Part 27: Miss Wealthy
Part 28: Apologies
Part 29: Caught in the Rain
Part 30: Untimely Happy Memories
Part 31: Party Rockers
Part 32: I Hate People
Part 33: You're... You're... An idiot
Part 34: Phlegm Street £30k
Part 35: Doctor Doctor
Part 36: Working Class Man
Part 37: Piles of Files
Part 38: Or worse, expelled.
Part 39: I love you
Part 40: Pregnant
Part 41: Confessions
Part 42: You said
Note
Part 44: You love me; it's the rules.
Part 45: Back again.
Twitter Account
Part 46: A very important question
Part 47: Bombshell bang!
Part 48: Big Boy Toys
Part 49: Engagements
Part 50: Dramatics
Soon Soon!
Part 51: BODMAS
1 MILLION READERS
Part 52: Travis
Part 53: Plan of Attack
Part 54: Fool me once
Part 55: Choc Chip Panic-cakes
Part 56: The Answer
Part 57: Sticks and Stones
Part 58: Lack of Judgement
Bit of Fun
Part 59: Hi, You've Reached...
Part 60: Uhh yes?
Part 61: Flash Flash - 1
Part 62: Flash Flash - 2
Part 63: Ooh baby baby!
Part 64: Disco Dancing
Part 65: Complications
Teen Fiction #1
Part 66: If I Told You I Missed You
Part 67: Strings of my Heart
Part 69: At Last
Epilogue
Q&A Part 1
Q&A part 2
The Fiction Awards
Sequel
ALL IT SEEMS
BLACK LIVES MATTER
Stop saying all lives matter

Part 68: All It Takes

98.2K 4.3K 502
By shortycharlotte

Hey everyone!
Here's another chapter for my awesome readers!
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS FOR MY Q&A CHAPTER PRIVATE MESSAGE THEM TO ME!! PLEASE DONT WRITE THEM IN THE COMMENTS THEY'RE TOO HARD TO KEEP TRACK OF!!

With each chapter your opportunity gets smaller!
Even if you think it's silly I guarantee someone else is thinking it!!
This chapter hurt to write.

Love you guys! Don't forget to check out my new book and follow me so you get updates on all my work!!

Enjoy!

The day of Claire's surgery

"Are you excited?" I asked, my knees jumping up and down from my own excitement as I sat in one of the two chairs beside Claire's bed.

"I'm excited to walk again, not to be split open," she giggled.

"Don't forget you've got heaps of rehab and you need to keep up with it," in came Mr Serious Mason. I rested my hand on his knee as if to say, 'one thing at a time.'

"I know, but I just can't wait to actually walk again. To not have to worry about catching a cold or ask someone to help me to the bathroom four times a day."

I nodded. I didn't know what she was going through, but from what she'd told me I couldn't wait for her to get her previous life back.

"Soon," I whispered with a smile, taking her hand and giving it a tight squeeze.

Mason had been quiet and if he did say something it was some factual biology stuff that I didn't really understand. I mean I nodded with pursed lips and said 'yes, yes' twirling my metaphorical moustache so he thought I understood, but I don't think it was very effective...

"Ashley, do you mind if I talk to Mason for a sec?" Claire asked, her voice small and serious.

"Yeah of course, I'll just run a grab a coffee,"
I got up and went on search for the small cafe on the corner I saw when we walked in.

While ordering two coffees I looked around and thought about how many times we'd been here in this last year.

First there was the car crash - thanks Lucas.

Second there was when Mason thought it would be a good idea to scale the side of our apartment building when we'd both forgotten our keys, and he plummeted 2.5 metres into a stack of full rubbish bags and thought he'd broken his ribs - luckily he didn't but we had a great story to tell.

Third there was Cameron after he thought he'd broken his ankle, turns out he'd just twisted it, and when I asked how he and Mason shared a shifty glance. I still have to ask him about that...

Fourth there was when I was pregnant - the doctors office was within the hospital building.

And then there was now. I prayed that this would be the last time we'd have to come here for a while.

Mason came and stood beside me, his breathing a little ragged but normal enough.

I wrapped my arm around his waist and rested my head against his shoulder.

"You okay?" I said just loud enough for him to hear, looking up at his face.

He leaned down to kiss me gently, giving me a quick squeeze before our coffees were in front of us.

We started making our way back to Claire's room.

"I still have to ask you, how did Cameron twist his ankle?" My eyes were like little needles as his face grew the expression and I can most easily describe as 'oh, shit'.

He opened his mouth to reply but was saved by a man in scrubs and a lab coat coming up beside us.

"Mason Murphy? Claire's brother?" He asked, holding a report on a board, glancing at it quickly.

"Yeah that's me, this is my... partner, Ashley,"
He gestured to me and I smiled politely at the surgeon who was wearing anything but.

"I just wanted to talk to you before we take your sister in. I'm a little concerned about how weak her immune system is, we've done procedures with patients who have had weaker immune systems and they've worked out perfectly but there's also the risk that it will go the other way,"

Mason crossed his arms and tried not to allow his concern to creep onto his face but I could see he was scared.

"So what are you wanting to do?" He asked and I looked back into the room where Claire was sitting staring at the tv.

"It's up to you, there's a percentage high enough for me to want to try but also high enough to not to. It's ultimately your decision,"

The surgeon gave us two options, but it's not our decision. It's Claire's.

"Mason, I think we should let Claire decide," I offered, my hand on the inside of his bicep.

He looked down at me, his lips slightly parted as he stared into my eyes, deliberating whether or not he should decide for her.

A moment passed and he finally nodded, gesturing for myself and the surgeon to enter with himself not far behind.

"Miss Murphy," started the surgeon as I took a seat in the chair beside her bed and Mason sat on the arm.

He explained to her what he'd told us and I noticed the smile on Claire's face falter ever so slightly.

"I want to go ahead with the surgery," she said, adamant in her response.

"Claire, are you sure?" I offered, my hand resting gently on Mason's knee as I felt him tense.

"If I don't have the surgery then I'll spend forever thinking what would have happened if I had. If I do, I have a chance of spending my life like you," she reasoned. Her eyes were pleading but calm. She was sure and there was nothing we could do to stop it. "If I have to take that chance then I will."

Mason nodded reluctantly, turning towards the surgeon who was standing there silently, simply observing. He nodded, holding his breath and I could practically feel his heart plummet a little at the thought of potentially losing Claire.

We said our good lucks and I left Mason to say his to her alone. When he came outside the room his cheeks were damp and he wrapped his arm tightly around my shoulders.

"It's going to be okay, she's a fighter," I whispered up at him and he kissed my forehead forcefully.

"Thank you so much, sweetheart," he murmured against my skin.

The nurses wheeled Claire out on the bed and she waved at us as she went down the hallway.

Anxiety doesn't even begin to describe how we were feeling as we sat in the waiting room silently. Mason's knee bounced up and down and I had effectively exhausted all finger nails of chewing. I decided against chewing Mason's...

"Do want anything to eat?" I asked, my voice slightly croaky from not speaking in a while.

He shook his head and got up to pace about the room.

We waited and waited and waited and the longer we waited the more fear creeped into our belly's.

That fear wasn't made any better as we saw our surgeon walking towards us in the waiting room.

"Mr Murphy," he started, showing little to no expression on his face and I could feel tears of fear begin to well in my eyes.

"Yes," breathed Mason. This was one of the few times where I'd actually seen Mason allow his emotions to escape onto his face. He was tired and oh so scared.

"We believe Claire's immune system has gotten the better of her. One of her kidneys has failed and I'm afraid I'm not prepared to continue surgery when there's too much of a risk." He expressed very calmly.

Mason's fists balled at his side and the vein in his neck started to bulge.

"What do you mean!? How could you let this happen!?" He yelled in the surgeons face as his arms tensed up.

I needed to do something. There's no way Mason wouldn't be sent to jail for assaulting a member of hospital staff and when his emotions were this raw anything was possible.

He continued yelling in the surgeons face as the surgeon tried to calm him down, obviously having experienced similar.

I grabbed Mason by the top of his shoulders but he struggled against me, his voice becoming hoarse as he continued to scream at our only hope.

I finally managed to pull him back and into my arms where he buried his face in my shoulder, sobbing uncontrollably as he grasped and clung to me as though I was a lifeline. Gasping though sobs to not lose his sister.

My heart hurts 😢

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

877K 29.1K 34
"Your mouth may say you hate me," he whispered, "But your hands...they say otherwise." His eyebrows raised pointedly at my touch on his chest, face w...
3.6M 117K 41
You've got one boy. One girl. One pretty little lie. A perfect relationship. The perfect boyfriend. The perfect girlfriend. The perfect dates. The pe...
2K 68 17
#cliterature WARNING: This book contains a lot of the following themes: alcohol, drugs, sex, fighting. ( explicit sex scenes starts in the chapter As...
345K 12.3K 38
After a tragic event drives her out of little Hillsborough, NC, 19-year-old Meghan Greene finds herself living in a Manhattan apartment with her best...