The House of Carrington

By dawndwrites

Sabine Harlow and Shayne Carrington ************ [Can Oil and Water ever mix?] Carrington Enterprises, the m... More

~Chapter One~
~Chapter Two~
~Chapter Three~
~Chapter Four~
~Chapter Five~
~Chapter Six~
~Chapter Seven~
~Chapter Eight~
~Chapter Nine~
~Chapter Eleven~
~Chapter Twelve~
~Chapter Thirteen~
~Chapter Fourteen~
~Chapter Fifteen~
~Chapter Sixteen~
~Chapter Seventeen~
~Chapter Eighteen~
~Chapter Nineteen~
~Chapter Twenty~
~Chapter Twenty-One~
~Chapter Twenty-Two~
~Epilogue~
~Thank You to All of My Readers~
|New Chapters Published in ~ The Sky's the Limit|

~Chapter Ten~

2.8K 199 33
By dawndwrites

[Carrington Enterprises Conference Room]
Shayne

"I agree with Shayne, I like his ideas for getting this company back on top. I feel we can be competitive with Winthrop Oil and our other competition. We'll be innovators with the talent we have on our side." Mr. Thatcher practically jumped across the conference table, extending his hand to shake mine.

Grey swiveled in his chair to capture everyone in his sight. "I wholeheartedly agree—job well done! You and Sabine have been working on this project all month. You eat, drink, and sleep Carrington Enterprises. I can't thank you, enough. Your efforts are paying off and you are an amazing CFO. The two of you make a great team."

"Let's get this plan underway as soon as possible. I don't want Philip Winthrop getting wind of our new strategy." Colton voiced immediately.

"He's right. I don't trust any of the Winthrops after Bianca and Jagger's breakup. Now his father has been trying to bankrupt our company." Colin added from personal experience.

Brody rubbed his tired eyes. "The Winthrops are in for a rude awakening. They are up against a house built on a solid foundation, that can withstand a lot of storms." He smiled to himself at his own witty statement.

Then Kendall, Andrea, Sheila, and Bianca added their words of wisdom. All of the board members had a say. The London group had a wealth of knowledge, and insights that they shared. It was the best meeting we've had so far.

My thoughts kept drifting back to my beautiful, dark haired, and dark eyed assistant. I was trying my best to focus at this meeting, but couldn't help wondering about Sabine's dinner date with Skyler.

Why is this happening to me, of all people? I'm not looking to get tied down in any relationship. But, yet. . .

I couldn't believe this sharp tongued, feisty woman—broke through my defenses. She has effected me, so profoundly. I have been content by myself all of these years, until her.

My fingers itched to call, or text her—but I resisted. She's a big girl, she'll be fine with Sky. I don't know why, but I do not like that name!

                                                                     *****

Sabine

Skyler picked me up at 7 p.m. on the dot. Our dinner reservations were for 7:30 p.m. We drove in a wall of silence, with only the radio playing on a smooth jazz station. We zipped into a parking space. Skyler got out and came to open my car door. Strike one—no butterflies.

We walked into my favorite Mexican restaurant and were seated quickly. Our hostess, handed us our menus and apologized. "Sorry if it's a little noisy tonight. There is some type of business function going on, on the other side of the restaurant. I think it's Carrington Enterprises?"

I gulped down a huge knot in my throat. "I wonder why my workmates are here? No one sent me the memo."

"That's strange." Was all Skyler had to say, and he started looking over the menu nonchalantly.

I held my phone under the table and sent a text message to Shayne.

Sabine ~ Hey, are you here at the Mexican restaurant?

Shayne ~ Oh, is that where he took you to dinner? I didn't want to be nosy, and ask where you two were going.

Sabine ~ You didn't answer my question—

Shayne ~ Yes, I'm here with Colin, Bianca, my cousins, their wives, and the rest of the board members. We're celebrating our financial accomplishments. And looking forward to being a top contender, again.

Sabine ~ I'm glad everyone liked your ideas and projections for success. They will take the company to the next level. Congratulations! I just arrived for dinner with Skyler.

Shayne ~ Thank you, enjoy your dinner. Please tell Skyler, that I said hello.

I stared at the phone for a few seconds, before placing it on the table. I was fluctuating between staying in my seat, or going with my workmates to celebrate. After all, I had a part to play.

"Who were you texting?" Sky calmly asked.

I paused. "That was Shayne. He said, Carrington Enterprises is celebrating Shayne's innovative ideas and their financial gains. He said to tell you, hello."

"Is there something I should know about you and Shayne?" Sky looked me directly in my eyes with a puzzled look, and an unnerving stare.

I started stuttering. "No-no. . .he-he's just my boss. Don't be silly." I broke out into a cold sweat, and started twirling a lock of my hair nervously.

*****

"Sabine, I had to tell you in person how much I love the margaritas. I'm so happy you recommended it." Shayne directed his statement to me, as he sat down next to me at my table, uninvited.

I was in a state of total shock, not knowing what he was going to say next.

He extended his hand. "Hi Skyler, long time no see. I figured I'd come say hello in person. What's the chance of us all being in the same restaurant?" He stared a not so friendly stare at Skyler, as he took a sip of his margarita.

"Nice to see you, Shayne. I see you have gotten very friendly with my girlfriend." Skyler was losing his patience.

"Oh, forgive me. Is Sabine still your girlfriend? I'm so confused. I thought you were with, Astrid." He took the liberty to say, with no shame.

I kicked Shayne, under the table. He chuckled under his breath. "Well, I'll let you two get back to your dinner. I'll see you on Monday, Miss Harlow," he bumped his shoulder into mine, grinned at me mischievously, and left our table abruptly.

My heart was doing flips in my chest from him showing up. I was trying to act like I was unfazed the whole time.

"What's his problem?" Skyler's jaw muscles were very tight, and he looked like he wanted to explode. Shayne really pushed his buttons.

What has gotten into Shayne? I'm starting to see so many facets of his personality, I didn't know existed.

"Don't worry about Shayne, I think he's just a little protective of me. He knew how hurt I was about you spending so much time with Astrid." I think I actually figured out why he was acting this way tonight.

"You told Shayne, about our relationship? It's none of his business." Skyler slammed his menu down with force.

"I was with Shayne in a meeting yesterday when Astrid called and you texted me. The cat was out of the bag—I didn't have to tell him. You and I haven't been on a date in a month, since you started showing her all around Dallas." I reminded him very pointedly.

Our server placed tortilla chips and salsa on our table. "Have you decide on your order?"

"I'm not very hungry." I literally lost my appetite.

Skyler handed her our menus. "I'll just have a margarita for now, and an order of shredded beef enchiladas to take home."

The server clarified. "Do you want the enchiladas when you get ready to leave?"

"Yes, please." He was direct, and then she left.

"I'm very sorry, Sabine. You were so busy at work and I kept busy taking Astrid sight seeing. I was never in love with her. We were just friends. You misunderstood the situation." He dipped a chip in the salsa and made a loud crunch.

Just then, Perfect by Ed Sheeran came on in the restaurant. My hand started trembling, as I tried to take a sip of water from my glass on the table. I reflected back to Shayne—when this song came on at my apartment last night, and the words he spoke to me.

I couldn't resist asking. "If I had red puffy eyes and no makeup, would you think that I looked perfect?"

"What kind of question is that? I don't know what I would think. Is this a trick question?" Skyler was filled with uncertainty.

"No, I'm seriously asking you. It shouldn't be a hard question to answer." I was giving him strike two.

"I guess you want me to sing this song, next? I'm not a big Ed Sheeran fan, just so you know." He made sure to inform me.

I spoke with tear-filled eyes. "Someone, told me I looked perfect—even when I felt a mess. I was hoping those words would come from you and I happen to be a big Ed Sheeran fan!" Now he had strike three.

"You can't seriously, expect me to think that you look perfect with puffy red eyes and no makeup on? No one looks perfect. It's just a song, for crying out loud." He leaned over and grabbed my hand.

"Thank you for dinner, but I would like to go home now. Can you please ask for the check?" I was done with, Skyler Pennington. Like in baseball—three strikes and you're out!

While I was waiting for Skyler to pay for dinner and get his food, I saw Shayne from across the room. He was talking to his brother, Colin. He turned his head, and locked eyes with me. My eyes began to poole with tears.

He proceeded to where I stood. "Are you alright?" He bent down and gently put both hands on my shoulders, looking down into my watery eyes.

"I asked Skyler to take me home. I'm exhausted from the day, and it's Friday night. It's been a long week." I didn't want a confrontation between him and Skyler.

I put my hand on his chest. "I'm fine, really. Go enjoy your celebration." How I wished that I could join him.

"I'm going to call you tomorrow. Maybe you can come out to the ranch this weekend?" He was sincerely concerned, and offered sweetly.

"Okay thank you, call me. " I wanted him to drive me home, but I knew I had better go with Skyler to keep the peace.

Fortunately, he left right before Skyler came from paying the check.

I was astonished that Shayne has been so caring about me—these past two days.

I really don't get many invitations to Carrington Ranch. Bianca and I don't get to hang out like we used to, now that she's married and has a baby. I totally understand that.

I'm just an ordinary girl from Topeka, Kansas. I come from a truly middle-class family of five. My mom, Janice, has always been a stay at home mom. My dad, Robert, was a steel worker, before he retired. My brother, Tristan, is a pediatrician. My other brother, Stone, is a veterinarian. My parents put both of my brothers through College.

I went to a business school, when I graduated from high school. I was hired by an accounting firm, before I decided that I needed a change of scenery. I moved to Dallas, and was hired to work for Carrington Enterprises as a secretary for Bianca Thatcher. It wasn't a lot of money, but it paid my bills.

I love reading and would escape my boredom. I dreamed of being whisked away from my plain existence by a handsome prince. But that never happened. Nothing like that happened for little girls from Topeka.

I was so happy for Bianca when she fell in love and married Colin Carrington. He was like a dream prince. His brother, Shayne, was strikingly handsome. He was too into himself to even notice me.

I had a secret crush on him, the moment I gave him a tour of Carrington Enterprises. Bianca and Colin were in London. I knew to let that dream go, fast. He became the target of every woman, that worked for the company. His head got more inflated, if that's possible.

When I was set up on a blind date with the handsome, rich, suave, and debonair Skyler Pennington—I thought I just might be living my dream! Who knew he wasn't all that I thought he would be?

                      Votes and Comments are Appreciated ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.3K 1.2K 31
Drake, a man with blazing blue eyes. Silas, a man with breathtaking green eyes. Hunter, a man with astonishing hazel eyes. All three of them, with ab...
10.1K 282 52
Jayson Hendrix. The eldest child of Eleanor and Issac Hendrix, and the heir to everything they stand for. ...
118K 3.5K 36
Kingston Spin-off #3 THE THIRD BOOK OF THE KINGSTON SPIN-OFF SERIES! Brielle Kingston is the most determined Kingston in her huge family. Newly grad...
166K 8.7K 30
Book 4 of the Jackson Series! Charlotte Davidson was dealt the wrong cards in her youth but when an opportunity to start anew presents itself she gra...