The House of Carrington

By dawndwrites

Sabine Harlow and Shayne Carrington ************ [Can Oil and Water ever mix?] Carrington Enterprises, the m... More

~Chapter One~
~Chapter Two~
~Chapter Three~
~Chapter Four~
~Chapter Five~
~Chapter Six~
~Chapter Seven~
~Chapter Eight~
~Chapter Ten~
~Chapter Eleven~
~Chapter Twelve~
~Chapter Thirteen~
~Chapter Fourteen~
~Chapter Fifteen~
~Chapter Sixteen~
~Chapter Seventeen~
~Chapter Eighteen~
~Chapter Nineteen~
~Chapter Twenty~
~Chapter Twenty-One~
~Chapter Twenty-Two~
~Epilogue~
~Thank You to All of My Readers~
|New Chapters Published in ~ The Sky's the Limit|

~Chapter Nine~

2.5K 204 11
By dawndwrites

Shayne

I arrived at work extra early. I woke up in the middle of the night, unable to fall back to sleep. I stubbed my toe getting out of bed before sunrise. I wanted to yell from the pain. I didn't want to awaken the sleeping household, especially my sleeping nephew, Baby Colin.

I bit my tongue and hopped around on one foot to the shower. I must really have a lot of stress. I'm thinking about our finances at Carrington Enterprises and how to start seeing gains, instead of losses.

I also couldn't stop thinking about, Sabine. I can't remember enjoying a woman's company so much on a non-date. She was so vulnerable, and heartbroken last night. She was beautiful and I felt a magnetic pull to her—like I've never imagined possible. Her dark eyes, expressed a deep sadness.

I thoroughly scrutinized her through different eyes, and saw someone worth getting to know better. She has a depth to her, I didn't appreciate before last night. I wear a mask to hide my insecurities and self esteem issues. I get the feeling that at times she masks hers too.

I realize that I had better tread carefully with her, before I get in way too deep.

I poured a cup of coffee before walking into my office and eyed Sabine at her desk. "Good morning. How did you slip past me?" I raised one eyebrow up at her, with a quirk on my lips.

"You looked deeply contemplative, I quietly slipped to my desk. I didn't want to disturb you." She wrinkled her forehead, while examining a spreadsheet.

"I do have a lot on my mind—I'm playing with some ideas. When you have a free moment, I'd like to get your opinion." I sat down absentmindedly in a chair near her desk.

She looked puzzled, as I was empty handed. "Aren't your figures on your desk? Not that you have to leave. You're welcome to sit here at my desk."

"Don't mind me, I'm still waking up." I offered a simple smile.

She returned my smile. "I didn't sleep well either. I can join you in your office now and look at your ideas." Her eyes glowed with interest.

"That would be perfect." I said with an emphasis and winked.

Sabine

So, he did remember telling me I looked perfect last night. My heart started to make sudden movement, and my insides were fluttering. I stood frozen in place for a few seconds, trying to figure out my next statement.

Just then my cellphone ringing saved me. "Hello? I'm very busy right now, Skyler. Can I give you an answer later today? Okay, thanks." I was short with him.

I placed my cellphone in my suit jacket. "That was Skyler inviting me to dinner tonight. He wants to explain the whole Astrid thing to me, and see if he and I have a future?" I grimaced at Shayne.

"Oh, are you going?" He stood there sipping his coffee, like my answer really mattered.

"I don't know what to do," I answered apprehensively. I couldn't look at him, I didn't want to see the expression on his face.

He nonchalantly changed the subject. "Let me show you the new ideas that I have, before I present them."

I wondered what he really thought about me and Skyler, after what happened yesterday?

*****

We spent the morning in Shayne's office going over his proposal. He was going to present it to the board, later this afternoon. I loved his ideas and I found that I loved conversing with him, as well. We danced around the elephant in the room, of our non-date last night.

I asked what he thought about Skyler, and he avoided answering my question. Instead, he moved on to the topic of financial gains, repeatedly. I didn't know what answer I should give Skyler about going to dinner.

I leaned back in my chair, stretching, and tried one last time. "Do you think that I should say yes, to dinner with Sky when I call him back?" I was fishing to see if he would take the bait.

He mirrored my gesture and stretched in his chair. "It wouldn't be fair for me to answer that question, because I don't feel he really appreciates you. It's your decision to make and only you should." He said nothing after that, as he gathered up all of his papers getting ready to head to his meeting.

I stood from my chair, closing the distance. "I hope everything goes well with your meeting. Knock it out of the park!" I touched his shoulder, and I wanted him to tell me not to call Skyler.

Instead, he sighed heavily pulling me to him. He kissed my forehead, his lips lingering there. My whole body screamed, to stay in his embrace. But he let me go, and gave me a penetrating gaze that gave me chills up and down my spine.

The man is absolutely stunning.

He grabbed his portfolio from his desk, and cleared his throat. "I'm leaving for my meeting now. I'm not sure if you'll be here when I get back. If you're not, have a good evening. I'll let you know how the meeting goes." He left me in his office, without a backwards glance.

Something was off kilter about him today—what's up with us?

My text message alert detained my thoughts any further.

Skyler ~ Hi Sabine. Please say you'll have dinner with me tonight. I can't tell you how sorry I am. I miss you and I'd like to give us another chance.

Sabine ~ What about Astrid? She didn't feel like sightseeing today, so you decided that u would call me?

Skyler ~ LOL. I knew u would say something like that. No, I just realized how much I enjoyed getting to know you. We were just getting started. Please say yes!

Sabine ~ Alright, I'll go to dinner with you. But we are going to take baby steps from here on out.

Skyler ~ Whatever u say. I made reservations for 7:30 p.m. at that Mexican restaurant you like, with those awesome margaritas.

Sabine ~ OK

I put my phone down on Shayne's desk, holding my aching stomach. I stood in my bosses office that has a great view of the Dallas skyline. The tears began to fall one by one, on the carpet. How can I be going to dinner with Skyler at the very Mexican restaurant, Shayne brought me dinner from last night? He and I were going to try their amazing margaritas.

He said I looked perfect, even though I felt I looked a mess.

He let down his guard, and showed me the real him.

I stood at the window in his office, looking out. "Shayne." Was all I uttered out loud, as I pressed my hand to the cold thick glass window.

I let myself admit, I was starting to have feelings for Shayne Carrington.

I heard the door knob turning. "Oh, you're still in here?" Shayne barely glanced at me.

"Yes, I'll be out of your way. Is your meeting over already?" My mouth opened in surprise.

He grabbed a folder. "No, I ran back to get this."

"I decided to say yes, to dinner with Skyler." I felt honesty was best.

He examined my face with his eyes, that turned stormy grey. "Enjoy your dinner, I'll see you on Monday." He held one side of my face and rubbed his thumb over my cheek.

"I will, thank you." I held onto his wrist, as his hand touched my face and he dropped his hand.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't be doing that," he spoke in a whispery voice.

A tear trickled from my eye. "It's fine, if things were different. . . I mean if, Skyler. . . I-I,"

He cut me off from speaking with his finger to my lips. "It's okay, no need to explain."

He left and so did a piece of my heart. It was so sudden—I did not see that coming!

Votes and Comments Appreciated ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

166K 8.7K 30
Book 4 of the Jackson Series! Charlotte Davidson was dealt the wrong cards in her youth but when an opportunity to start anew presents itself she gra...
393K 9.7K 51
[COMPLETED] #Ranks : #14 on 30/11/18 (category : Ex) #17 on 29/6/19 ( category : adultromance) #57 on 29/6/19 ( category: Suspense) Excerpt : "I can...
7.6K 219 88
- Charlotte Carter is a 23 year old young woman who is a Landscape Architect. She has been looking for a job lately and her best friend Waverly's fri...
130K 3.7K 58
Cats In the Cradle Sequel Daniel and Emma have been married for nearly one year, and they couldn't be happier. Their marriage is perfect on paper: v...