The House of Carrington

By dawndwrites

Sabine Harlow and Shayne Carrington ************ [Can Oil and Water ever mix?] Carrington Enterprises, the m... More

~Chapter One~
~Chapter Two~
~Chapter Three~
~Chapter Four~
~Chapter Five~
~Chapter Six~
~Chapter Eight~
~Chapter Nine~
~Chapter Ten~
~Chapter Eleven~
~Chapter Twelve~
~Chapter Thirteen~
~Chapter Fourteen~
~Chapter Fifteen~
~Chapter Sixteen~
~Chapter Seventeen~
~Chapter Eighteen~
~Chapter Nineteen~
~Chapter Twenty~
~Chapter Twenty-One~
~Chapter Twenty-Two~
~Epilogue~
~Thank You to All of My Readers~
|New Chapters Published in ~ The Sky's the Limit|

~Chapter Seven~

2.7K 189 10
By dawndwrites

One Month Later. . .

Shayne

All of our new board members were assembling this morning. Mr. Thatcher's nine most trusted, and respected members were joining us today from London. Bianca, Kendall, Sheila, and Andrea were all becoming official board members, as well. We still had six original members. There were now twenty-five members, in total.

This was a momentous day. Carrington Enterprises was becoming, The Phoenix that rose from the ashes.

I was grabbing everything I needed to make my Power Point Presentation at the meeting. A knock sounded at my office door. "Enter," I shouted.

"Would you like another pair of hands to assist you?" Sabine offered.

I started fumbling with papers, and folders clutched under my chin and in my hands. "That would be great," I let out a sigh of relief.

Sabine immediately, came to my aide. "Can I sit in on your presentation? I would love to see everyone's thoughts on where the company is headed, and what suggestions you have. I'm definitely a fan of your hard work this past month."

"I don't see why not? After all, you've been my very helpful assistant." I gave her a nervous smile, I was shocked at her friendliness today. What's the catch?

We rode on the elevator up to the conference room in silence. I was reviewing my presentation in my mind. The elevator doors opened to the eighteenth floor. I gestured for her to proceed me, as we made our way down the hall.

I loved hearing the buzz of excitement in the air, coming from the conference room. It hasn't been like that, in over a year. It was nice meeting and greeting all of the new board members. We had an amazing team assembled now. We were getting back to where we used to be, thanks to Andrew Thatcher.

"Everyone, this is our Chief Financial Officer, Shayne Carrington. He is going to enlighten us, as to where we're at financially, as opposed to where we used to be. Then he will show us how we can get beyond that point. Shayne, please begin your Presentation—we're all eyes and ears." Grey sat down in his chair, with an attentive expression on his face.

"Actually, I brought my incredible right hand assistant with me today. Her name is, Sabine Harlow. I couldn't do my job without her. I would like her to help, with the Presentation." I met Sabine's eyes, with an encouraging wink and a nod for her to begin.

She stood in front of everyone and spoke with a shaky voice, at first. She looked at me for reassurance, and I gave her a thumbs up of support.

She continued. "I'd like everyone to turn to page one of your packet, and view the chart of lost revenue. This chart, is from calculations done consecutively over the past month. The second chart shows lost revenue, this same time last year for comparison. The third chart is where we want to be, again. Shayne and I have proposed a financial strategy and we feel it will make a major difference."

I positioned myself at an angle, that was adjacent to her. I couldn't help noticing the softness of her face, her long dark eyelashes, dark brown exotic eyes, and slight freckles. She spoke with authority, yet humbly. I had never allowed myself to notice these things about her, before today.

I approached and stood next to her. "We made this graph to show the intended gain in revenue and where expenses can be cut immediately, to be cost effective." I shared the next part of the Presentation.

"Great job," I leaned in and whispered close to her ear, inhaling her perfume. She looked up at me and I forgot my next words, literally.

Sabine jumped right in, without missing a beat. "Shayne and I have been pouring over this for the past month. This strategy should definitely, help us to stop losing money and we will start making gains, slowly."

She glanced at me discreetly, speaking low. "Are you alright?"

No, I wasn't. . . but I couldn't explain why.

"Just a little temporary amnesia. I'll be fine, I'm tired." I made an excuse.

                                                             *****

The meeting lasted for several hours. We discussed so many what if's and analyzed things from every angle. This meeting had the greatest business minds on the planet. Mr. Winthrop, won't know what to do when we're back on top!

I was happy to have my assistant share this experience with me today. She really is my right arm. I have to admit, Bianca was right, suggesting her for this position. She is amazing at her job. I've really enjoyed working with her this month and somehow we managed to get along.

My suit jacket began to vibrate. "Hello, Astrid. No, I don't mind if Skyler takes you sight seeing today. I'm actually tied up in a meeting right now. Sabine is also in this meeting for our Presentation. I guess she wouldn't mind you going with, Skyler. I'll let her know."

I don't know how this will go over with Sabine. "I just got a phone call from Astrid. It seems that she and Skyler are going sightseeing today, while we're at work." I winced, waiting for the impact of my statement to be received, good or bad.

"Oh, Skyler, just sent me a text. He didn't ask if I'd be okay with that. He told me he was going to show Astrid, around today. He's on his way to Carrington Ranch, as we speak," she stated matter-of-factly, with a slight sadness in her voice. It happened so fast, I almost missed it. As she recovered her composure, quickly.

"Are you okay with Skyler spending time with Astrid?" I was curious.

"It doesn't matter. . . I've been so busy at work, Skyler and I never seem to have time to go out anymore. He persisted for a while, then stopped asking. I have a feeling he's planning to move on," her eyes became watery, but no tears fell.

I felt bad, like I was partly to blame. I lifted her chin and brought her eyes up to meet mine. "How about I take you to dinner? We've been working so hard, and your help has been invaluable. I have a place in mind, I think you would like."

"I don't know that I would be good company," she hung her head down, looking very upset.

"Then I'll be enough company for both of us. I won't take no, for an answer. Why don't you take the rest of the day off? I'll pick you up 7 p.m." I managed to get her to make a small smile. At least is was a start.

"Okay, I'll go upstairs and get my things if you don't need me anymore. Thank you, I'll see you at 7 p.m." She looked glum, and it actually affected my mood to see her this way.

The Sabine that I know, is always sassy, challenging, feisty, and still beautiful. When did I start noticing that, so regularly?

Colin punched me in the arm and startled me. "I'm proud of you, Shayne! You and Sabine gave an excellent Presentation. Hmmm, she seems to have transformed you in a way I can't put my finger on." He put his pointer finger under his chin in contemplation.

Then, Bianca stood by his side. "Congratulations Shayne, on such a fantastic Presentation today. You and Sabine make a dynamic duo, as I knew you would. Where did she disappear to?"

"I gave her the rest of the day off, she was a little down. Apparently, Skyler is taking Astrid sightseeing today. He's been out and about with her sightseeing, and spending time with her for the past month. Sabine and I have been so busy at work in the meantime." I told them the truth.

"Awww my poor friend. I know she was excited about getting to know Skyler and hoping things would work out, permanently. Who knew that Astrid would end up getting to know him, instead of Sabine." Bianca looked perplexed.

"I feel really bad, that I've been the reason Sabine has been working so hard. Now, I interfered with her love life. I'm taking her out to dinner tonight." I shared with Bianca and my brother.

"She actually agreed to go out with you?" Bianca's eyebrows rose in surprise.

"Yes, she did! I'm not a bad guy, for your information." I sounded indignant.

She reached up and kissed my cheek. "Shayne, I know that. But, does Sabine know that? You two never get along. She has never really gotten to know you and you have never gotten to know her."

"This is not a date. I'm just taking her to dinner." I emphasized.

Grey, Colton, and Brody joined our conversation. Brody squeezed my shoulder. "Great job today, Shayne. It looks like we just may get Carrington Enterprises back on track."

"Where did Sabine vanish to? She is really an asset to you, Cousin!" Colton folded his arms, leaning back on the nearby wall.

Mr. Thatcher eyed me across the room, while speaking to his team from London. He gave me a huge smile of approval. All in all, progress was made and I was relieved.

I got a text message. "Sabine?" I questioned out loud.

Sabine ~ Shayne, I think I'm coming down with something. I'll take a raincheck on dinner.

Shayne ~ I'm going to call you.

"Excuse me, I need to make a phone call." I announced to my family, as I stepped away.

Sabine picked up on the first ring, "Hi Shayne, I sent you a text, so you wouldn't have to call."

"You sound congested, do you think you have a head cold? You were fine earlier today." I played dumb, I knew she had been crying.

"I'm just not feeling quite myself. Thank you for the dinner offer, we'll go another time. I'm going to get some rest," she sounded on the verge of tears.

I leaned my forehead against the wall, with the phone still to my ear. "Okay, feel
better." I hit end, knowing what I was about to do was probably crazy.

                  Votes and Comments Appreciated ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 3.5K 36
Kingston Spin-off #3 THE THIRD BOOK OF THE KINGSTON SPIN-OFF SERIES! Brielle Kingston is the most determined Kingston in her huge family. Newly grad...
742K 49.9K 97
As he took one last step closer, his muscles made direct contact with every fragment of my body, and I could feel my skin become ten times warmer. "...
9.6K 281 51
Jayson Hendrix. The eldest child of Eleanor and Issac Hendrix, and the heir to everything they stand for. ...
118K 6.1K 21
Avalon Brooks and Chancellor Corwin. (Avalon Brooks) is a part-time barista at a trendy coffee cafe in Midtown Manhattan. She is hoping to get her bi...