The Host and System Matchmaki...

By YohoAruto

Who knew that by slipping on the stress ball that she left on the floor that Alex would end up dying due to e... More

A Role Model to Live By: Arc 1.1
Arc 1.2
Arc 1.3
Arc 1.4
Arc 1.5
Arc 1.6
Arc 1.7
Arc 1.8
Arc 1.9
Arc 1.10
Arc 1.11
Arc 1.12

Prologue

8K 305 128
By YohoAruto

It was safe to say that when Alex had died, it was definitely her fault.

Of course, it was not like she had asked to die, but it didn't change the fact that she died while slipping on a stress ball she had left on the floor, which caused her to hit the back of her head on the sharp corner of her desk.

Then everything went dark until she then suddenly found herself floating away from her dead body towards someplace unknown.

She was strangely calm throughout the whole process, even when she found herself alone in what seems to be the middle of space. Like, outer space. Earth is not even in seeing-distance from where she is at, and far away galaxies, stars, and planets seem to move around her as she stands -on what, she doesn't know- in place.

Alex was pretty content just watching the galaxies, stars, and other celestial objects float by until a voice from pretty much everywhere made itself known.

【Um... Hello Host.】

Alex blinks in surprise but does not start looking around, knowing that she would not be able to attach a body to the voice that she has heard. She finds it rather strange that despite the large space they are in, the voice does not echo like she expected it to. And the tenor in its tone is definitely a surprise as well, along with how human it sounds.

"Sooo... Is this the part where you tell me that I have to travel through different worlds doing a series of tasks in each world in order to get my wish granted or something like that?" Alex questions, getting right down to business as she crosses her arms in contemplation.

【...】Alex can practically feel the other's astonishment, making her shrug in response to his/her silence.

"I've read a lot of light novels." She had a friend in New Orleans who would send her links to whatever light novels her friend is interested in every other week. Alex found them amusing so she would often read them in her spare time.

【S-So, is Host aware that you have died?】

"Considering the fact that I had died while slipping on the stress ball that I had forgotten to put up, yeah," Alex responses with a wry grin, though she is not sure whether the System can see it in the first place.

【And Host is... okay with that?】

"What can I do about it? I died," Alex says in a deadpan manner. If she could see the System, then she could pretty much imagine it blushing at this point. "So, what's up? Why are you reaching out to me?" Of all people-is left unsaid at the end of her sentence. She knows that she is not exactly a good person. She just did whatever the hell she wanted until her sudden end, so she's not exactly sure what qualification she has to be chosen for whatever grand adventure God or whoever has in store for her. Or maybe this is more of a punishment, which makes a lot more sense than the former.

【Well, that's because Host has the qualifications to be reincarnated.】

Alex stares blankly into space (literally) as she absorbs what the system has said.

Wait, what? She, of all people, has the qualifications to be reincarnated? She's pretty sure she's the last person that should be reincarnated if she has to be honest.

【But while Host is qualified, there has been a large surplus of souls recently that also fit the criteria for reincarnation. In order to prevent too much overcrowding in the living world, the higher-ups decided that it would be best to test souls with a series of tasks and utilizing a point system in order to determine whether a soul is eligible for reincarnation.】

...This sounds too much like job recruitment for Alex's taste.

"What about if I don't want to do the tasks? What if I would like to go straight to the afterlife?"

【...Then, if Host wishes so, I can escort your soul to the afterlife.】For some reason, the System sounds rather dejected. Alex can't help but think that the System is rather cute, for some reason.

"Even after I have been escorted to the afterlife, would I still have the qualification for reincarnation?"

【...Yes, but there is a lot of paperwork involved and it would require your soul to be re-evaluated, which would take a millennium or so to complete.】

I'm dead, time is not really a big problem for me, Alex wanted to say out loud, but she had a feeling that the System would be upset if she did.

"Okay."

【...Okay?】the System questions in a flabbergasted tone.

"Let's try out these tasks you're having me do. But-" Alex tilts her head, putting her hands on her hips. "If I don't want to be reincarnated, then can I still go to the afterlife after I have finished all the tasks?"

【But, um... the point of doing these task is so that you could reincarnate back to the world of the living.】

"But what if I don't want to be reincarnated in the end? Can I still go to the afterlife instead?"

The System goes silent for a few minutes, making Alex wonder if she had scared the other off, but the other came back while reporting: 【The higher up consented that... in the case that you still would want to be transferred into the afterlife after acquiring enough points and performing enough tasks...they will grant your proposal.】

The System sounds very sour while saying that, though Alex is not exactly sure why.

"Okay, that's great! Then what do I have to do then? Save the world from preventing the formation of harems? Befriend the most powerful person? Help the cannon fodder counterattack? Scatter some intelligence to the protagonist? Die a heroic death?"

【What?!】The System sputters in panic at the last suggestion, making Alex laugh.

"It's just a suggestion. Do you guys not have tasks like that?"

【No!】The System immediately denies. 【We're trying to give you a chance to prove yourself, not torture you!】

"Really?" Alex questions skeptically. "Isn't it through suffering and hardship that we, as humans, can best prove ourselves?"

【If that was the case, then barely anyone would gather enough points and be able to finish their tasks.】

"Isn't that the point? Don't you guys have too many souls that are qualified to be reincarnated?"

【We want a steady amount of souls being reincarnated from time to time. If the tasks are too unrealistic or difficult, then a soul probably wouldn't be able to reincarnate once every 10,000 years! Besides, some of the worlds you will be assigned to are not easy to live in. Living, in general, is difficult enough without us adding more to it.】

Well. It does have a point.

"Why do you guys want souls to be reincarnated anyway?" Alex asks as she looks up. Though she knows she wouldn't see a body or anything of that sort, it stills feel somewhat appropriate to talk to the other like this. "Isn't it a pain to have to go through all of this trouble to reincarnate a soul?"

【Actually, reincarnating a soul is much more efficient for us.】the System admits, unknowingly being pulled into Alex's pace. 【It takes a lot of effort and material to make a brand new soul, so it's energy conservative and preferable to recycle an old soul. Of course, we can't just send anyone down back to the living, so there are standards that a soul has to meet, but the increase in population and the influx of eligible souls is getting to be too much, so the higher-ups decided to implement The System and Host arrangement to slow down traffic.】

"Ohh. Hey, do souls that get reincarnated get their memories from their previous life back?"

【I'm... I'm sorry, no.】The System sounds so apologetic, that Alex cannot help but grin.

Honestly, what a cute guy. Girl? Does the System have a gender in the first place or is it just something only for the living?

"Don't be. It's probably better that way," Alex reasons as she shrugs, not moving her eyes from the ceiling-or lack thereof. "Anyway, what's the task again?"

【Oh! Excuse me, please wait a moment.】Honestly, what a cute thing. She had read a lot of different type of systems in the light novels that her friend introduced to her and they all have a variety of personalities and quirks, but this one is surprisingly very expressive. It had answered all of her questions too, and very promptly. 【Ah! It seems that your mission is to help the chosen target find their fated one and arrange a positive relationship with them, preferably in a romantic sense.】

It took a while for Alex to realize the full extent of the task the System wants her to do. "... You want me to do matchmaking," Alex can't help but spit out in disbelief, her mouth hanging open.

【Yes!】The System confirms proudly, obviously pleased by the job they were given. 【It's not a bad task, right? Nothing too dangerous or stressful.】

"Wait a minute," Alex immediately interrupts with a nervous expression on her face. "Let me first point out the fact that I had never been in love before. And I'm technically a virgin."

【Yes, well...】Alex can practically feel the System fidgeting from where it's at. 【I'm aware of that. It's in your files.】

"I have a file?" Alex questions, with blinking eyes before going back to the main topic. "Then shouldn't you be a little bit worried about the fact that someone as inexperienced as me is doing something like matchmaking? Don't you feel a little sorry for the couple I'm supposed to help?"

【I think you would do fine!】the System argues, obviously confident in Alex's matchmaking skills for some other reason she can't see. 【Does... Does Host not want to do the task?】

"It's not that," Alex rebuffs with a sigh, crossing her arms. "I just don't think I'm the best person for this? I'm out of my depth with this kind of thing."

【Don't worry! Host has me and I will help Host in any way-with, um, certain restrictions, of course.】

"Restrictions?" Alex inquires out of curiosity. "Like what?"

【Such as that I cannot encourage or allow any attempted homicide towards the 'main characters' so to speak. World destruction is also generally frowned upon as well.】

"So, I can't kill the male and female leads, then?"

【Yes,】the System happily confirms as Alex takes note of what she has heard.

"Okay, then who's the unlucky couple I'm matchmaking?"

【Ah, that depends on each world you are going to. But...】There was a strange silence afterward, making Alex raise an eyebrow, obviously asking what's wrong. 【... It seems that all of the couples that you will be helping are bent male couples...】

"... I'm matchmaking slash couples then?" Alex clarifies. She doesn't know how, but she can feel System nodding its head rapidly. "Okay, that gives me something to look forward to when I enter each world. But why is it all slash couples?"

【I'm... I'm not exactly sure. It's difficult to explain,】the System admits sheepishly, sounding rather nervous. 【Apparently, there is something about the fact that these couples are not naturally being with each other that the administrators find concerning.】

"Concerning? How?" Alex questions astonishingly-they make it sounds like the world will meet its end if the couple she will be matchmaking does not get together.

【I'm not sure-I don't have the authority to know that, but I think that the administrators are baffled as well.】

Alex hums in contemplation, using her hand to cover her mouth out of habit whenever she's going deep into her thoughts but after a while, she shrugs. There's too little information to work with right now to make any certain conclusion. They'll just have to see once they get right onto doing the task.

"Okay, well, let's go then! No point in wasting time thinking too much when I haven't even finished the first world yet!"

【Of course, 】the system immediately agrees, seemingly happy by her enthusiasm. 【I'll start transferring your soul to the most compatible body there is for this mission. You might be a bit disorientated once your soul is transferred, so please take your time to acclimate if needed.】

This guy is really too nice for a System, is the thought that went through Alex's head as the space around her suddenly moves. Faster and faster, the stars, planets, and galaxies become a blur, as if she's on a spaceship going into hyperdrive, and she can see that she is getting particularly close to a specific blue and green spherical planet. Once she gets too close -the terrain of the land finally clearing- she finds herself falling.

...--------...

Author Note: Soooooooooo, for those who have read my The No-Good Seventh Miss Goes Traveling story, the reason that I have not been updating is mostly due to this story. At first, I planned on finishing the first arc of by, like, ten chapters but... my brain kept spitting out plots and idea and truthfully... I'm actually only halfway there through the first arc by chapter ten..... OTL

Well, at least you guys have a lot of content to read over for the first arc? Let me tell you, I'm really at the halfway point of the arc and already, and yet I've already written about 52,000 words and each chapter is around 10-20 pages. The prologue is actually the shortest chapter there is in the entire arc.

Depending on how well received this is, I might post the first five chapters. in a span of 2-3 days. Mostly because my editor (bless her heart, she has to go through all 110 pages of writing and it's all in 12 point times new roman font) has only edited.... well, she has only looked over the prologue to chapter 3. That's around 35 pages already and we both have college classes to take so all of you should bow down to her generosity. ( ̄^ ̄メ)\(_ _ ;)

Okay, enough with the boring stuff, to answer some questions you guys may have:

1. Yes, Alex is not subjected to one gender. In fact, s/he is male in a lot of the arc I have planned out.

2. Yes, this is mostly a bl novel, since Alex is supposed to be male the majority of the time. S/he actually prefers to be considered male or non-binary (most because s/he felt she can relate more to society's expectations for masculinity than feminity).

3. I have already planned out the first four arcs of this novel. In arc 2, I will ask you guys your opinion on what the next several arcs after arc 4 will be. But that is a long way off considering how long each arc will be *sighs*.

Please tell me what you think so far! If things seem to go well, I can post up the first few chapters a bit. (((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

361K 23K 102
To lighten the wrath of his blackened readers, Frozen Milk was forced to transmigrate into his own novel to witness what *** he wrote. What's this? O...
209K 7.4K 44
Zen Yodai, 27 y.o virgin 'straight' man. He claimed to be 'straighter than a ruler' but some people doesn't believe it (Me). Anyway, he died in the a...
13.8K 822 28
A/N: Had a bout of inspiration; may edit and then republish some time later after finishing writing another story, since I'm more focused on my other...
776 21 42
crappy isekai MC'sthat don't have progress, so, I call them one-shots, despite having an outline and plot that I don't want to write out. "What up...