Hereafter

By Nozrac

Life and death are about choices. Moving from one to the other is also a choice. Here is how I made mine. More

Introduction
Restart
Setbacks
Upside
Beliefs

Comatose

8 0 0
By Nozrac

  I opened my eyes to find myself sitting on a bar stool facing a panoramic window. It is dark outside with lamps lighting the parking lot and road outside. I sit and watch as the traffic lights at the intersection of two roads, across the small parking lot, cycle through. There is no traffic; it must either very late or very early.

I don't know which bar this is or how I got here.

I turn to look for someone to ask where I am. I take to be the bartender talking with another person right next to me. Funny thing is I cannot hear them, not at all. It's like I'm deaf.

I say "excuse me" to try to draw their attention with no results. I reach over to shake the other patron's arm in a bid for their attention and can barely shift their clothing slightly.

Panicking I look around noticing many more people talking, soundlessly, around me. I stick the pinkie of my right hand into my right ear, moving it in a short burst, to try to dislodge whatever must be messing with my hearing.

It doesn't work.

I try to recall when, where and how I would have lost my hearing and just happen to notice the traffic lights change from red to green and I suddenly recall the impact. I must have lost my hearing then. It doesn't make sense though. What happened right after the impact? How can I all of a sudden become conscious of my surroundings in a bar? For the love of all that is holy why can't I or won't anybody interact with me? I remember books written by people who claimed to have had some form or another of a near-death experience.

"Am I dead? Am I dying? Am I in Limbo, awaiting judgement? Am I going to move on from this life?"

I had not yet lived life to my satisfaction. I had not done or seen all I wished to do or see. I did not accept that premature end. I felt desperate a burning desire to not be dead to be alive. I had made no impact on the world; the people I had known would barely know that I was gone. No-one apart from my family would remember me.

I saw it then. The bar disappeared to be replaced a wash of colours and I was one of them. They were all vibrating and so was I. The colours stretched up and I followed each where they, we, all merged into one like the fingers merge into the palm of a hand.

I wanted to be alive still to help the people I knew and would know.

I was resolute and the space around me vibrated and there was darkness.    

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.4M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...
59.4K 5.8K 32
" ඇයි අයියෙ ඔයා කොයි වෙලෙත් මාව සුදු අරලිය මලකට සමාන කරන්නෙ.." මං අයියගෙ මූන දිහා බලන් අහනකොට එයා මගෙ ඇස් දෙක දිහා බැලුවා.. මගෙ අයියගෙ මූනෙ ඇඳිලා තිබ...
431K 51.9K 92
ආවා නම් කියෙව්වා නම් කමෙන්ට් එකක් දාලා පලයං...
58.8K 1.3K 21
"𝑪𝒂𝒖𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒎𝒚 𝒆𝒚𝒆, 𝑰 𝒂𝒊𝒏'𝒕 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝒂𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒑𝒐𝒕 𝒄𝒖𝒛 𝑰 𝒃𝒆 𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒐 𝒚𝒐𝒖"