Without A Trace >> Dean Win...

By Caroline_Blackwood

"She's a ticking bomb and her time is running out." [ A Supernatural Dean Winchester FanFic ] -written by Car... More

Without A Trace
Prologue || Quiver
01 | They're Brothers, And They're Gay For Each Other
02 | A Wolf's Killing Spree
03 | Born to Kick Assbutts
04 | Care To Have Those Hellhounds Gift-Wrapped?
05 | Heat Of The Moment
06 | Dream A Little Dream Of Me
07 | The Bat Cave
08 | Einstein Got A Hair Rebond
09 | Peanut
10 | True Face
11 | Shadow of Perplexity
12 | Tequila's Warm Embrace
13 | When Certain Paths Cross
14 | Guardian of Land
15 | When Everything Falls Apart
16 | Life's Labyrinth
17 | Bye, Purgatory! Sup, Winchesters?
18 | Pinky Promise?
19 | Trial and Error [ Chasing Our Tails ]
21 | Trial and Error [ It Has Begun ]
22 | Man's Best Friend with Benefits [ Hexed ]
23 | Man's Best Friend with Benefits [ Hands Off ]
24 | Man's Best Friend with Benefits [ Burden ]
25 | Silver Lining
26 | Unloved
27 | Remember the Titans [ Haywire ]
28 | Remember the Titans [ Hotheaded ]
29 | Remember the Titans [ Hurting ]
30 | Goodbye Stranger [ As It Always Has ]
31 | Goodbye Stranger [ Before Dawn ]
32 | Goodbye Stranger [ Castiel No More ]
33 | Taxi Driver [ I Liked That Kiss ]
34 | Taxi Driver [ What The Hell, Indeed ]
35 | The Things Unsaid
36 | The Greatest Escapist [ Beat It, Elsa ]
37 | The Greatest Escapist [ Angel vs. Demon ]
38 | The Greatest Escapist [ Say Yes To Hot-Wiring ]
39 | Restless Heart
40 | Clip Show [ Warm and Fuzzy ]
41 | Clip Show [ Caked-Face Abaddon ]
42 | Clip Show [ Son of A Witch, Actually ]
43 | Sacrifice [ Emotions First, Common Sense Later ]
44 | Sacrifice [ Abort Mission-Crowley's High ]
45 | Sacrifice [ The Song I Made, Dumbass ]
46 | Epilogue
Without A Trace - AUTHOR'S NOTE
Bonus Scene
New Book Out!

20 | Trial and Error [ Sacrifices ]

3.6K 71 31
By Caroline_Blackwood

Chapter 20 | Trial and Error [ Sacrifices ]

CLARISSA APPROACHED THE BARN CAUTIOUSLY. Her footsteps felt light. She walked past Alice brushing the mane of her favourite horse. She grabbed a pair of gloves before looking at her, "You okay, mrs. Cassity?"

"I'm fine."

"You sure?"

"I really am...and I know I shouldn't be, because I loved Carl. I think— I just can't remember why."

Clarissa stared at her thoughtfully. Did she just say she forgot why she loved her husband after he died?

"What do you mean?" She asked, approaching her.

Alice sighed, a confused look imprinted on her face, "I mean..Carl grew up around here. We went to school together, and he was always mooning over me. But I never— I used to make fun of him."

"When did you two get together?"

"Valentine's Day, 2003. I was at this party. Carl was there, and it was like I was seeing him for the first time. You know, suddenly, he was cute, and smart, and funny."

Clarissa's breathing quickened.

"It was magic. Carl and I were happy for ten years. Now, he's dead and I'm not sad or angry. I'm just...fine."

x x x

Sam and Dean packed last of their bags before zipping them. Clarissa entered their room when Dean instantly shot her a question, "hey, uh, we have any graveyard dirt?"

"We should. Why?"

"Yarrow?"

"Yeah, wait—Dean, no." Clarissa rose her tone. "We're not summoning a crossroads demon."

"Plan A bombed, so welcome to Plan B. We get some red-eyed bitch in a trap, then a knife on her until she calls us in a pooch. Special delivery."

She glanced at Sam who was keeping silent the whole time. She thought he was probably persuaded by Dean's idea, too and gave in.

"Yeah, except when Crowley finds out we're dialing up hell, he won't send one hellhound— he'll send a hundred. That'd not a plan, Dean. That's suicide!"

"Well, you got a better idea?"

"Yeah. We stay here. I just talked to Alice in the barn. Carl didn't sell his soul for oil, he sold it for Alice."

Sam rose, "say what?"

"His wife?" Dean asked.

"Yeah. He loved her, she barely noticed him, so he made a deal. And now, the time's up it's like she barely even knew the guy."

Dean thought carefully, "you think our demon signed up more than one schmuck while he was in town?"

"Wouldn't be the first time." She answered promptly.

Sam walked closer to them, "Clarissa's right. This family is rich because someone booked a one-way ticket downstairs. And as of tomorrow, they're all gonna right here."

"And you guys wanna scope 'em out?"

"I want to kill a hellhound and not die." Sam said, narrowing his eyes at his older brother, "how 'bout you?"

Dean was about to roll his eyes when he stopped himself when he realized he'd got that from Clarissa. His jaw clenched. "Two days— then we do it my way."

Clarissa smiled victoriously as Dean proceeded to unzip his bag.

x x x

"Meet Noah Cassity." Ellie narrated, "He's 71, worth a billion, and just married wife number 5, a-20 year old lingerie model." As soon as the well dressed man stepped out of his car, Alice rushed over to give him a hug.

" 'Cause they have so much in common?" Dean retorted.

"Alice is his oldest, and that's Cindy, the middle girl." A woman with a fur coat pouted her lips as she got out of the car. "She had a single on the country chart a few years ago. Then she started hitting on the bottle, and well, her alums was a bunch of holiday songs for dogs. My favorites were 'Jingle Bark Rock' and 'Don't Pee on this Tree: Happy Arbor Day.'"

"So she's the devil." Dean stated.

"Pretty much."

The car door opened once again and a younger woman stepped out. "And there's the baby, Margot. She ran away just before Alice and Carl tied a knot. Lives in Paris."

"How do you know all this?" Sam asked.

"I've been working on this farm since I was 13, and I've got eyes." She put her arms on her waist and turned to the three, "okay, tonight is an all-hands-deck situation. I'm going to need one of you inside, serving dinner, pouring drinks— a lot of drinks.

"Okay," Dean started, "well, have fun. I won't wait up."

"And somebody's gonna man the grill."

"What kind of grill?" Dean asked, his tone low. He was already regretting his decision to speak up.

x x x

Dean turned the steak over, letting the other side roast as equal as the other did. Ellie took a glance and nodded satisfied. "Impressed?"

"I do like a man who can handle his meat." She said, winking at Dean before walking away. Dean smiled to himself as he continued grilling the steaks and barbecues.

Sam poured a drink on the champagne glass and left it half full for Cindy, who was leaning to her seat with one arm propped up on the head rest like a boss. Sam bent back to proceed to the next guest, but Cindy scoffed. "Really? Keep it coming, Ken doll."

Clarissa had to stop herself from laughing out loud. Ken Doll was what she called Dean when they first met back at the motel.

Sam poured the rest of the contents of the champagne bottle to the glass, and Sam smiled apologetically when Cindy scoffed, flicking a hand to the side, shooing him away.

Ellie bent over Noah to take away his appetizer plate in which he thanked her with a "you're the best, Ellie."

Ellie gave him a small, but stiff smile before taking the plate away to the kitchen.

"Al, I'm sorry about Carl." Margot sympathized, "I mean, he was the love of your life."

"Right." Alice agreed, weary.

"Please," Henry stated, "she can do better."

"Maybe Alice should marry a child, take after her father." Cindy suggested smugly, and Clarissa was seriously resisting the urge to slap the woman and duct tape her mouth shut to not hear her annoyingly high-pitched voice.

"Ivanaka's not a child." Noah replied heavily.

"Right! She's a prostitute who looks like a child."

"Are you done? Alice is mourning." Margot snapped.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Margie. I didn't see you there. You're too far up on your high horse." She giggled, putting down her champagne glass, "oh, yes, but you are right. We should all take a minute and say a few words about Carl."

She leaned over the table and stared directly at Margot. "Was he a good lay?" She asked, her voice tingling with sass and tingling. Margot's eyes widened and gasped.

"Wha—?"

"Oh, you didn't know? Daddy caught 'me going at it in the barn."

Alice altered her gaze to Margot, "Al, it was before when you two got together. I mean Carl—he loved you."

Cindy giggled, taking another swig at the champagne, crossing her legs. Clarissa's back was faced them, so she rolled her eyes. And boy, was it satisfying to finally be able to roll her eyes. She noted that Cindy was able o manipulate people with her sharp eyes and words. Margot, although, stated her words in a controlled emotion. Alice looked like she was just plain confused.

"Yeah, that was back when Margie was fat and Cin was sober a long time ago." Noah spoke up.

Cindy directed her wine glass toward Noah, "get cancer and die, old man."

"You first, sweetie."

Noah and Cindy winked at each other before taking a sip.

Clarissa approached Sam and Ellie who were arranging their plates and whispered, "are they always like this?"

"More or less."

"How can you work here?" Sam questioned, shaking her head.

"I love the property, I love the animals, and I tune out the people."

Sam and Clarissa both eyed her unbelievably and went back to work. She thought of Ellie as a straightforward person, and down to earth, too.

"I can't remember the last time we all sat down and had a meal together." Alice smiled, her voice gentle.

"It was back at the crappy, old house when daddy invited that traveling salesman to dinner."

"Oh, him." Margot bit her lip.

"He was so charming."

"Yeah, English."

"What was his name—" Noah wondered, "Kenny?"

"Cr..."

"Crow..."

"Hmmm."

"Crow..."

"Crowley."

"That's right, Crowley."

As if that name had some sort of trigger on Sam and Clarisaa, their heads immediately whipped and stared at each other in disbelief.

x x x

"Crowley?"

"That's what they said." Sam huffed. "Apparently he swung through town 10 years ago, to the day."

Clarissa's blood boiled at the mention of his name. She couldn't wait to rip his head off the next time they meet. Won't be too long.

"So what— do you think tea and crumpets made these deals and now he's collecting?" Dean says.

"Or he just sent his dog— told it to go fetch. Dude's king of hell. Grabbing a few souls that's gotta be below his pay grade."

"I guess. Any idea who signed the dotted line?" Dean asked.

"I have no clue. It's brutal in there." He replied.

"Guys," Clarissa snapped, "whoever did, killing this hound will be easier. Glasses scorched with holy oil remember? That's how I saved you guys when we met again at the victim's house."

Dean's face lighten up in realisation. "You're right! I think we still have some Jesus juice left in the trunk. You two stay here, do not let let J.R. and the gang out of your sights, all right?"

The two nodded and Dean took off quickly to the old garage beside their room. He looked around the dusty furniture and office materials when he spotted three spare glasses lying continently in a corner. He took a good look at them and decided it was enough.

Meanwhile, at the dining area, Alice and Cindy were sipping on their champagne with a slice of cheesecake for each. "Oh, look. Daddy's drunk and armed." Cindy drank another mouthful, "must be Christmas."

The breath left their lungs when Sam and Clarissa spotted Noah and Margot side by side, marching off to the forest armed with shotguns. They put aside the champagne bottle and rushed out.

"Hey! hey, hey, hey! Where are you going?"

"Wherever I damn well please." Noah sassed, not sparing a look for either Sam nor Clarissa. "The wolf that killed my son-in-law is a man-eater, got to be out down."

"Doing this for Carl." Margot added,

Clarisse ran a hand throughout her locks, "Are you two dumbos or what!?"

"Okay, just hold on a second," Sam stalled,

"No. Going now."

"We'll come with you." We both said in unison.

They stopped in their tracks and looked at the two. "You know anything about hunting?"

Clarissa scoffed, tugging her jacket closer in search for warmth from the coldness outside.

"A little bit, yeah." Sam said.

Noah contemplated over his decision for a while before looking at Margot and nudging his head towards them. Margot gave Sam her shotgun.

Noah cleared his throat, "Let's do this."

As the small group marched right into the forest, Dean was in the other side of the barn, kneeled over to the ground outside, pouring Holy oil to. He lit up a match and threw it to the liquid. A blue fire was ignited and he exposed the two sunglasses to the fire. Dean wore a pair and looked around. Everywhere through the pair of glasses was blue. Just blue.

He spotted Ellie coming and quickly put out the fire with his shoe. "I like it..." Dean took off the glasses and put it back into his pocket. "The whole Clark Kent look."

"Ellie, hey."

"Hey," she placed a hand on his chest and Dean look at her, confused.

"So..I think you're really hot. You wanna come to my room and... get things done?" She stared into Dean's apple green orbs and winked suggestively.

"W-what?"

"I—sorry. I usually don't do this. I guess I'm feeling my oats." She neared her lips dangerously closer and closer when Dean stopped her.

"I can't."

"What?" Ellie looked down and lowered her eyes, "Okay. Uh, embarrassing."

"No no no, I want to. Believe me." He chuckled.

"No, it's okay."

"Ellie, um... rain check?" He smiled, licking his lips.

"This is one night only. Sorry." Ellie replied, and walked back to her room.

x x x

Thunder rumbled as the group of four took stepped through the forest, their heads up. Clarissa had her knife, but Margot was unarmed since she gave her shotgun to Sam. That's why she told Margot to stay behind her, but she was too stubborn and insisted she could do it herself.

A branch snapped behind and Sam and Clarissa instantly drew himself in to the source of the sound. They both nodded and took a left, into a deeper part of the woods. Their footsteps were light, careful to not make a single sound. As took another, a gun was pressed on Sam's temple and the safety clicked.

Sam slowly turned his head and let out a sigh of relief when he realised it was Noah. He pointed Noah's gun to the other direction as he remarked a "watch yourself, kids. Where's Margie?"

"I thought she was with you." Clarissa exhaled.

A scream echoed through the whole forest and Sam and Clarissa rushed to the scream. They ran to see Margot's body lying on the floor, insides already splattered on the ground.

Sam took his chance and shot a bullet to where he imagined the hellhound would be. His attempt was successful as he heard a yelp.

"Oh my god!! No! Margie!"

"Go back to the house!" Clarissa pushed him, "go!! Move!!"

Sam and Clarissa ran back to the the house, trailing after Noah who was speeding off.

x x x

The trio entered the living room wherein the Cassitys were shaken up. Alice was covering her mouth to resist herself from crying and Cindy was clutching on to the armrest tightly.

Noah stood up from his seat, "What was that thing?" He demanded.

"a hellhound." Clarissa said, "see, when you sell your soul to a demon, they're the ones who come and rip it out of you."

"Demon?" Alice whimpered.

"Crowley. Pouncey guy, about yea big," she did a gesture with his hands before continuing, "a big time jerk. You wouldn't miss him."

"We know he was here 10 years ago, making dreams come true. Now, if you didn't sign, great. That freak out there won't touch you. But if you did, I need to know, and I need to know now." Dean explained. "So hands up."

"S-so wait," Noah stuttered, "the British guy was a demon? And now there's a hellhound after us? Are you insane?"

"Three obviously insane." Cindy said.

"Don't play dumb." Sam retaliated.

"Yeah, I'm not playing. I didn't sell my damn soul.

"Well, somebody did." Dean eyed her, "and the sooner the idiot owns up, the sooner the rest of you can go,"

The Cassitys looked at each other, and no one dared to utter a single word.

"All right, seal 'em in." Dean muttered.

"What?!"

"Look, I'm going to spread golfer dust around the windows, the doors. That will keep out the hellhound..for a while."

"What is that— how long?" Noah asked.

"Long enough for me to stab its throat." Dean replied.

"Together with the three of us," Clarissa affirmed, waiting for Dean to nod but he avoided her gaze. She was taken aback. Was he planning to do this all alone?

Noah sighed. "No, you can't do this, no way. You can't just—"

"Yes I can. You want to know why? Because it's what I do. And buddy, I'm the best." Dean pulled out his gun and Alice and Cindy gasped, "see, I gut old yelled out there, and maybe, just maybe, you walk away. I don't—you're meat." He raised the gun at Noah, "so sit down, shut up. And put these on." He handed him cuffs as Noah stared right back at him, afraid.

As Clarissa hand cuffed Alice, she asked, "who are you people?"

"We're here to help."

"Like how you helped Margie?"

She shot Noah an icy glare which made him shut up.

"When the hellhound gets close, you might start sharing things, seeing things, it's like you took the brown acid and it's trying to kill you. The handcuffs are here so you won't hurt yourselves."

"And when one of you starts bugging out," Dean quirked a brow, "we'll knownwhos on tap to be puppy chow." Dean gave one more glance at the Cassitys before leaving to sel the last exit of the house with goofer dust. Sam and Clarissa followed and stood behind him.

"So, what's our play?" Clarissa asked.

"Well, you two camp here, figure out who whored their soul. I'm gonna go scout the grounds, see if I can yank Huckleberry Hound before he makes the next move."

He walked away with his duffel bag already around his shoulders. Clarissa stopped him with a tug of his jacket, "No, Dean."

"We're coming with," Sam said.

"Wrong."

"They're on lockdown, and you need backup." Sam exclaimed, pointing a hand to the Cassitys.

"No, I don't."

"Yes, you do."

"No, I need you and Clarissa to be safe, okay? That's what I need."

"What? What are you talking about, Dean?" Clarissa hissed.

"What am I— when are we ever safe, Dean?" Sam pressed.

"This is different." He muttered quietly.

"How?"

"Because of the three trials crap. God's little obstacle course. We've been down roads like these, man. With Yellow-Eyes, Lucifer, Dick friggin Roman."

Clarissa stepped back. She didn't know who those people where, but she then knew it was between Sam and Dean.

"We both know where this ends— one of us dies. Or worse."

Sam threw his hands up, "so what— you just up and decided it was gonna be you?"

"I'm a grunt, Sam. You're not. You and Clarissa has always been the brains of this operation."

"You're not a grunt, Dean." Clarissa intruded, "you're a brilliant hunter. It's what makes us a team."

"Not this time, Peanut."

"Sam, you told me yourself once you see a way out. You see a light at the end of this ugly-ass tunnel. I don't. But I tell you what I do know— it's that I'm going to die with a gun in my hand. Cause that's what I have waiting for me— that's all what I have waiting for me. I want both of you," he gestured to both Sam and Clarissa, "to get out. I want you both to have a life. Become a Man or Woman of Letters, whatever. Sam with a wife and kids, and grandkids— Clarissa with a husband and kids, and grandkids. That is your perfect ending. And it's the only one I'm gonna get."

"So I'm gonna go do these trials. I'm going to do them alone. End of story. You both are staying right here. I'm going out there. If Landshark comes knocking, call me. If you both try to follow me, I'll put a bullet in your damn legs."

He ended the conversation and proceeded to walk out, his face straight with no emotion.

"Dean, don't do this!" Clarissa yelled, a tear threatening to run down her cheek, "Stop! I swear if you don't stop walking..."

He ignored her and continued walking like it was nothing.

x x x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 3.1K 31
โ‹† DISCONTINUED โ‹† Exactly what the title says. โ‹† Disclaimer: These stories are all from over two years ago, and my writing has much improved and chan...
116 15 15
This is the second book of the A New Beginning Trilogy!! I hope you guys enjoy!!! Summary- Tessa Winchester was just a normal girl, so she thought un...
23.3K 679 14
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the supernatural characters such as Sam and Dean etc. They belong to CW network. Warning: this book may contain coars...
12.3K 427 47
At the end of yet another successful hunt, Sam and Dean Winchester are gifted a very unexpected call for help from their beloved angel, Castiel. The...