Without A Trace >> Dean Win...

By Caroline_Blackwood

"She's a ticking bomb and her time is running out." [ A Supernatural Dean Winchester FanFic ] -written by Car... More

Without A Trace
Prologue || Quiver
01 | They're Brothers, And They're Gay For Each Other
02 | A Wolf's Killing Spree
03 | Born to Kick Assbutts
04 | Care To Have Those Hellhounds Gift-Wrapped?
05 | Heat Of The Moment
06 | Dream A Little Dream Of Me
07 | The Bat Cave
08 | Einstein Got A Hair Rebond
09 | Peanut
10 | True Face
11 | Shadow of Perplexity
12 | Tequila's Warm Embrace
13 | When Certain Paths Cross
14 | Guardian of Land
15 | When Everything Falls Apart
17 | Bye, Purgatory! Sup, Winchesters?
18 | Pinky Promise?
19 | Trial and Error [ Chasing Our Tails ]
20 | Trial and Error [ Sacrifices ]
21 | Trial and Error [ It Has Begun ]
22 | Man's Best Friend with Benefits [ Hexed ]
23 | Man's Best Friend with Benefits [ Hands Off ]
24 | Man's Best Friend with Benefits [ Burden ]
25 | Silver Lining
26 | Unloved
27 | Remember the Titans [ Haywire ]
28 | Remember the Titans [ Hotheaded ]
29 | Remember the Titans [ Hurting ]
30 | Goodbye Stranger [ As It Always Has ]
31 | Goodbye Stranger [ Before Dawn ]
32 | Goodbye Stranger [ Castiel No More ]
33 | Taxi Driver [ I Liked That Kiss ]
34 | Taxi Driver [ What The Hell, Indeed ]
35 | The Things Unsaid
36 | The Greatest Escapist [ Beat It, Elsa ]
37 | The Greatest Escapist [ Angel vs. Demon ]
38 | The Greatest Escapist [ Say Yes To Hot-Wiring ]
39 | Restless Heart
40 | Clip Show [ Warm and Fuzzy ]
41 | Clip Show [ Caked-Face Abaddon ]
42 | Clip Show [ Son of A Witch, Actually ]
43 | Sacrifice [ Emotions First, Common Sense Later ]
44 | Sacrifice [ Abort Mission-Crowley's High ]
45 | Sacrifice [ The Song I Made, Dumbass ]
46 | Epilogue
Without A Trace - AUTHOR'S NOTE
Bonus Scene
New Book Out!

16 | Life's Labyrinth

4.8K 123 47
By Caroline_Blackwood

Chapter 16 | Life's Labyrinth

CASTIEL STOOD AKWARDLY as he watched the Winchesters paced around the bunker, arms crossed with a far away look in their eyes. He could sense the  palapable tension. When they last met, Dean demanded to know where Clarissa was, except Castiel insisted that something was in the way; an energy warding him to use to his powers to find out Clarissa's location. Dean ended up shooing him away to leave him alone, in which Castiel sadly obliged to, leaving guilt to eat up Dean, as the conclusion of letting Clarissa slip away from his fingers was the only thought that clouded his mind.

Cas being Cas, he couldn't bear the tension, so he spoke up. "Is there a reason why you've called me down, Dean?"

He hummed in thought, "we're going to find out why something is warding off your angel mojo to locate where Rissa is."

Castiel cocked his head. "Rissa?"

He was confused, he never heard of this name before. Let alone, see the Winchester brothers stress over a girl so much. 

"Clarissa." Sam quietly muttered.

At the mention of her name, Castiel instantly avoided their gaze. "I told you, I don't know why I'm being warded off."

Dean noticed the look in his eyes, and stopped in his tracks, "you know something."

Castiel remained silent.

"Cas, you've been acting weird each time we'd mention her name or talk about her. Since day one." Sam declared, narrowing his eyes at the fidgeting angel.

Dean nodded. "We get it, you're not the social butterfly— but your eyes tell me something else. You're hiding something."

Seeing the angel avoiding their gaze, and staring at the floor, as if it was the most interesting object in the room, amplified their suspicions.

Dean slammed his fists on the mahogany table, making Castiel jump with fright. "Dammit, Cas! We're losing time. I just want her back!"

Castiel's bit his lip, a few moments passing before making eye contact while sighing, "Sam, Dean. There's something you need to know about Clarissa."

"Oh!" Dean exclaimed, "he speaks!"

Castiel ignored his remark and continued, "she's not human."

Dean scoffed sharing a glance with his little brother, "Sammy, I'm afraid our angel here had too much whiskey to drink up in Heaven."

Sam didn't join in, though. His widened eyes still on Castiel, waiting for him to go on.

"You want information— I'm giving it to you." Castiel thundered.

Dean's brows rose. Castiel raising his tone simply confirmed Dean's thoughts. "So there is something weird going on."

"Let him speak, Dean." Sam cut in, which Dean responded with a glare, nevertheless letting Castiel do so.

"Clarissa...she's the Guardian of Land."

Sam and Dean did a double take.

"You mean that... that wonder woman Kevin was talking about?!" Dean exclaimed, "Back in the boat house? You're kidding me, right?"

"I'm afraid not. Long ago, Crowley kidnapped her father, who was a prophet, for him to translate the demon tablet. George was loyal prophet— he did not translate a single word for him. But Crowley killed George. His plan was to kill Clarissa next, eliminating the witness of course, but that was before he knew what she was capable of. I was able to come in to save her at the right time. I freed Clarissa and she ran off without me getting to at least talk to her. But that was the biggest mistake I could ever make; after I saved her, it was that moment when Crowley knew she was special. Ever since then, he did his research, trying to find out why an angel like me saved her from the hands of a demon. It was a major victory for Crowley when he eventually found out what she was. He knew how useful she could be. He started following wherever she went, hiding in the shadows; waiting for the right time to use her."

Dean cupped his ears, leaning towards Castiel, refusing to believe what the angel had just told them. They gave him an incredulous stare with their jaws dropped; neither of the Winchesters said a word.

"Why didn't you try protecting her if you knew all this?" Dean cried, throwing both his arms in the air.

"I did, Dean. But as I said, Crowley was smart enough to ward any power that would interfere him and his plan. Guilt heaved my shoulder afterwards, because it was the job that my fellow brothers and sisters tasked me with— to protect the Guardian of Land. But I failed. Again."

At that, the Winchesters' stare softened.

Sam knew Castiel would always take it hard on himself when he hits the bottom rock, so changed his tone into a gentle one. "It wasn't your fault, Cas. We all make mistakes. But why didn't you at least tell us all this before?"

"I was not aware that she started living with you both. That is why I was not able to fully protect her." He sighs, "I'm sorry."

Castiel paused, taking a deep breath, "besides, I did not want to burden you with my failure once again."

Din pressed his lips into a thin line, "We're like family, Cas. We tell each other our problems."

Dean felt Sam's gaze burn at the back of his head, but he ignores it.

Castiel lowered his gaze and muttered an "okay."

"Well, what are waiting for? Let's summon the son of a bitch."

x x x

As Dean cut through his skin while a few droplets of blood dropped down to the bowl, Castiel flinched. Sam, however, didn't. It was a regular thing— if they had to summon something, either one of them had to be the guinea pig and grit their teeth through the pain.

Sam and Castiel stepped back as Dean threw a lighted match to the bowl. A few seconds of silence passed and Dean scoffed. "Where's the son of a bi—"

"Aw, You've got to be kidding me!! I was having my spa day!"

The trio jolted and whipped their heads back to see Crowley stomping his feet, whining— but successfully confined inside the demon's trap. You could tell he wasn't happy. "Oh, the Winchesters. Ever so happy to see you, boys." He said, his voice dropping with venom. "And what's this? You've got angel baby, too in your hands!"

Castiel tilted his head once more and whispered to Sam, "is he referring to me?"

Sam could offer him a crooked smile before giving Crowley a death glare. "Crowley."

"Moose."

"We know why you kidnapped Clarissa, now," Sam stated.

"I prefer to use the term 'surprise adoption'."

"Stop kidding around. Tell us where she is, and we'll let you go." Sam demanded, his eyes lying solely on Crowley.

Crowley smugly smiled, "oh, Moose. This dominant side of you makes me feel all tingly."

"So this is about Clarissa, hm?" his amused eyes held their fiery stares. "Her screams were music to my ears. Her whole body was ornamented with the wounds I cut. It was extremely satisfying to hear her gasp as I dug the knife deeper into her flesh."

Dean's jaw clenched. His nostrils flared in anger. He lunged towards Crowley, the two toppling down to the floor. With all the anger and frustration he bottled up, Dean threw punches across his face.

Punch! "This is for being a jackass, you bitch!"

Punch! "This is for taking Clarissa."

Punch! "this is for all the sufferings and pain you've caused her to go through!!"

"Dean!" Sam grabbed Dean by the collar and yanked him away. He placed both hands on Dean's cheeks as he breathed heavily, lips pursed and jaw clenched.

"Hey, dude. Look at me!"

Dean tore his gaze away from Crowley and looked at him.

"I get it; you want Rissa back— we both do. But keep it together, will you? Please."

Dean's eyelids felt heavy; he didn't have any sleep at all for the last few days. But he told himself everyday that he had to keep fighting. For Clarissa.

He nodded, and jerked himself away from Sam's grip. Waking towards Crowley, he neared his face. "So what's it gonna be? We can keep you here forever until you tell us where she is."

"you lumbering piles of flannels are so desperate for an answer."

Crowley sighed, "I actually don't know where she is," he glanced at the Winchesters to see them baffled before continuing, "because I sent her to Purgatory, boys!!"

He victoriously laughed while the Winchesters' eyes widen in horror.

"no."

"oh, yes."

Dean unconsciously placed a hand on his forehead, his breathing fast. Castiel and him spent a year in purgatory themselves, and they knew very well that Purgatory wasn't good news. Filled with the bodies and souls of all things hungry, sharp, and nasty.

"Why?" Castiel piped in, "why would you that when she has done nothing wrong to you?"

He hummed in thought, "I was in the mood for drama."

Sam huffed, clenching his fists tighter until whites had formed. "Let's go. He'll never give us the real reason."

The three exited the dungeon where they held Crowley captive when suddenly Dean turned back, proceeded to lunge at him, and blew a punch across Crowley's face once more, earning a groan.

Dean looked down at Crowley as if he was a pest. He said no more as he strode back as Crowley watched his retreating figure, disappearing afterwards when he closed the door.

"Guess I've been Winchestered."

x x x

No matter how many layers of flannels and jackets the Winchesters would wear, the weather was still quite chilly. A cloud of cold air would come out from their mouths each time they'd speak. Dean dug his hands deeper into his pocket, longing for warmth from the freezing weather.

Dean abruptly stood up from the Impala's trunk when he noticed a figure approaching the duo. An all too familiar figure.

"Hey, brother."

"Benny." Dean breathed out. He could almost feel his eyes teary.

"It's been too long, man." They both enveloped into a hug. Despite how cold the weather could be, their brother-like relationship could ignite a fire that could warm anyone from miles away.

An agreement was made over the phone. As much as how Dean didn't like to ask favours, he asked Benny to come over and met up downtown, hoping that he could go back to Purgatory and rescue Clarissa in which Benny agreed to after listening to their story.

Sam, however, wasn't too keen on that idea. Sam hated the fact that Dean worked with a vampire when he was in purgatory. He knew that he didn't have any choice because Dean also needed an alliance, but the fact that he once said Benny was like a brother, a better brother in fact than Sam, hurt him. A lot.

As soon as they pulled away from their hug, Dean asked, "you sure you're okay with going back to Purgatory? You're risking your own life here."

He pat Dean's back reassuringly and chuckled, "Anything for my brother."

Sam's nostrils flared. He was doing everything in his willpower to resist the urge to say anything offensive.

"You do know what Clarissa looks like, right?" Dean inquired.

"Course, she's the Guardian of Land. Wouldn't miss her."

Dean gave him a tight smile and pat Benny's back. "Good luck, Benny. Thanks a lot for this, I owe you one."

Benny chuckled, "it's no problemo, Dean. Wish me luck."

Dean saluted, giving off his signature smile while Sam forced one. With a blink of an eye, Benny was gone.

x x x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.2K 427 47
At the end of yet another successful hunt, Sam and Dean Winchester are gifted a very unexpected call for help from their beloved angel, Castiel. The...
2.2M 66.1K 110
When John Winchester goes missing, he leaves Dean a single message. "Find Katherine Donovan." 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝟏 𝐬𝐮𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐚𝐥 𝐬𝟏-𝟑 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭...
141K 3.4K 68
"𝐢'𝐦 𝐰𝐚𝐥𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐧 𝐬𝐮𝐧𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐞, 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫." #1 spnfandom #1 carter #1 deanwinchester 2020
44.5K 831 21
"Im your father." I said slowly. She smiled and said "nahh you're just a sperm donor." What happens when dean Winchester discovers he has a daughter...